Calgary Flames Expectations

Going4TheCup

44 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

I think that Bennett will be traded for some reason anyways, its just my feeling. Maybe he will be traded with Brouwer??

I hardly think putting Bennett and Brouwer together would entice any team to deal with us.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I hardly think putting Bennett and Brouwer together would entice any team to deal with us.

During the buyout period would be more enticing. Someone else buys Brouwer out to get Bennett cheap.

Similar to the Avs buying Orpik out for Grubauer and sending back a 2nd.

Bickell and Teravainan fetched a 2nd and following year 3rd.

I'd assume that's the going rate.

Not terribly interested.

16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

During the buyout period would be more enticing. Someone else buys Brouwer out to get Bennett cheap.

Not terribly interested.

The Canucks would love to do that deal!

50 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not terribly interested.

Well, you can;t exactly trade a buyout qualification.  If a team that wanted Bennett has an upcoming buyout window, then sure.  Think there are 20 teams that have one, assuming the window hasn't passed.  Actually 13 teams still have that option.

No, I'm not ruining Bennett value in a trade by including Brouwer.  If you trade Bennett, do it for a good reason.

The only reason to ditch Brouwer at this point is if we need the cap space.  At the moment, that seems unlikely.  Depends on Hanifin’s contract I suppose.  But we are better off burying Brouwer in the minors than trying to sweeten a trade just to get him off our hands.

9 hours ago, ABC923 said:

The only reason to ditch Brouwer at this point is if we need the cap space.  At the moment, that seems unlikely.  Depends on Hanifin’s contract I suppose.  But we are better off burying Brouwer in the minors than trying to sweeten a trade just to get him off our hands.

I doubt very much BT would choose to bury Brouwer in the minors. I wouldn't see anything wrong with adding a controllable prospect with Brouwer if a team showed interest in taking him, it is done all the time. If still here he will get ice time on either the 3rd or 4th line RW.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I also expect the Calgary Flames to have a NEVER QUIT attitude with the coach Bill Peters. With the last coach Glen Gulutzan it seemed like the Calgary Flames would give up as soon as SOMETHING went wrong. I have seen some Caroline Hurricane games from last season and seen how Bill Peters system is a little bit and I think his system will benefit the Flames.

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎18 at 10:23 PM, ABC923 said:

I still think buying out Brouwer and carrying the 1.5M for 4 years is the way to go. We have lower cost options for our 4th line which this cost can be spread thorough out this line up. Having him here doesn't get us the lines we necessarily want and having him sit around at 4.5M doesn't make sense either. Do the right thing BT, buyout Brouwer and trade one of Hathaway or Lazar.

29 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I still think buying out Brouwer and carrying the 1.5M for 4 years is the way to go. We have lower cost options for our 4th line which this cost can be spread thorough out this line up. Having him here doesn't get us the lines we necessarily want and having him sit around at 4.5M doesn't make sense either. Do the right thing BT, buyout Brouwer and trade one of Hathaway or Lazar.

Almost painted into a corner with it now with too many roster players.

Mangiapane's waiver exemption leaves him without a chance out of camp.

Same with the LD's.

The good ol' "numbers game" is near cast in stone(bleh) already.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Almost painted into a corner with it now with too many roster players.

Mangiapane's waiver exemption leaves him without a chance out of camp.

Same with the LD's.

The good ol' "numbers game" is near cast in stone(bleh) already.

It won't bother me if Mangiapane starts in the A vs being on the 4th line. He could and should be the first call up should anything happen to Gaudreau, Tkachuk or Bennett along LW. I would say the same thing for Foo in regards to the RW.

They all may be better served playing as a line Mangiapane, Dube and Foo in Stockton for more ice time.

I don't really see a problem with the numbers game. 

Hathway/Quinn would clear waivers no problem. A contending team should not want either of those 2 guys on their 23 man.

Lazar may be able to be flipped for a late round pick, but even if they lost him on waivers what's the problem with that? I don't have one. 

Sucks a little for the likes of Mangiapane and Foo but I also think there is still a chance they could fight their way on the roster. While I don't think Czernick was signed for the AHL, his contract isn't terrible if he gets beat out by spots. I also think he is probably tradable given how much interest there was.

The number looks high but for me it's alot of fringe NHLers who have finally been replaced by actual NHL talent. It's refreshing. 

The question in the thread is what are your expectations for the Flames this year. I wonder if we should also ask what the expectations should be. With our recent acquisitions, I am pretty optimistic. But all teams are trying to make the playoffs and run deep. Few expect to play poorly including the ones we know are terrible. There are even 6 Oilers fans who feel confident right now (oddly enough, a recent poll suggests that there are over 100 people in Edmonton who believe Elvis works at West Edmonton Mall). Some have argued that our expectations were too high last year. Can anyone make the same case this year? Our goaltending may be fine. We might struggle in that regard though. 

57 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

The question in the thread is what are your expectations for the Flames this year. I wonder if we should also ask what the expectations should be. With our recent acquisitions, I am pretty optimistic. But all teams are trying to make the playoffs and run deep. Few expect to play poorly including the ones we know are terrible. There are even 6 Oilers fans who feel confident right now (oddly enough, a recent poll suggests that there are over 100 people in Edmonton who believe Elvis works at West Edmonton Mall). Some have argued that our expectations were too high last year. Can anyone make the same case this year? Our goaltending may be fine. We might struggle in that regard though. 

That is an interesting way to look at it.  

Neal is the first legit goalscoring winger this team has had since Iginla left.  Monahan will (hopefully) be healthy.  I like Hanifin/Lindholm better than Hamilton.

I expect the Flames to make some noise in the playoffs, but is that reasonable?  Goaltending could be hit or miss, D is no better/worse than last year, and they are still a small (even soft) team.  

I am crossing my fingers that the changes will help with the compete levelof the team.  I would be happy to see a more honest effort on a nightly basis, building towards a strong team over the next 3-4 years. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Hathway/Quinn would clear waivers no problem. A contending team should not want either of those 2 guys on their 23 man.

Lazar may be able to be flipped for a late round pick, but even if they lost him on waivers what's the problem with that? I don't have one. 

Sucks a little for the likes of Mangiapane and Foo but I also think there is still a chance they could fight their way on the roster. While I don't think Czernick was signed for the AHL, his contract isn't terrible if he gets beat out by spots. I also think he is probably tradable given how much interest there was.

The number looks high but for me it's alot of fringe NHLers who have finally been replaced by actual NHL talent. It's refreshing. 

I think we will end up with a good situation for moving players in and out of the 4th line and the AHL. I would hate to see Jankowski become another casualty like Bennett by having mediocre line mates though.

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

I agree. Somewhat. 

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm, Frolik, Neal, Ryan, Bennett, and Jankowski all have spots pretty much guaranteed for them. Czarnik, Lazar, Hathaway, and Brouwer are probably in as well but could possibly be bumped if a kid plays really well.

That doesn't leave any room for NHL ready guys like Quine, Foo, Mangiapane, or Klimchuk. Which isn't a bad thing. Competition is a good thing and we know injuries will create opportunity. 

But, losing one of those guys to waivers to keep a Brouwer or Lazar on the roster will hurt a bit (Klimchuk to Vancouver for example). 

It's a similar story on D, though there is a bit more opportunity at that position. Particularly on the left side. Though having Stone on the roster over Andersson will be a kick in the junk for sure. 

5 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I agree. Somewhat. 

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm, Frolik, Neal, Ryan, Bennett, and Jankowski all have spots pretty much guaranteed for them. Czarnik, Lazar, Hathaway, and Brouwer are probably in as well but could possibly be bumped if a kid plays really well.

That doesn't leave any room for NHL ready guys like Quine, Foo, Mangiapane, or Klimchuk. Which isn't a bad thing. Competition is a good thing and we know injuries will create opportunity. 

But, losing one of those guys to waivers to keep a Brouwer or Lazar on the roster will hurt a bit (Klimchuk to Vancouver for example). 

It's a similar story on D, though there is a bit more opportunity at that position. Particularly on the left side. Though having Stone on the roster over Andersson will be a kick in the junk for sure. 

Klimchuk and Quine are the only ones eligible for waivers and I'm not worried about losing either one to be honest. Both would clear. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Klimchuk and Quine are the only ones eligible for waivers and I'm not worried about losing either one to be honest. Both would clear. 

Quine would probably clear. I don't know if Klimchuk would. Former first round pick, defensively responsible, good AHL number, and no opportunity in the NHL to this point. It's his first year of waiver eligibility and he would be fine in a depth NHL role. I think Weisbrod would encourage picking him up if given the opportunity. 

It's not the end of the world if he is claimed, and it isn't certain he would be. I still would prefer not to risk losing him for nothing if he looks strong in camp. 

8 hours ago, kehatch said:

Quine would probably clear. I don't know if Klimchuk would. Former first round pick, defensively responsible, good AHL number, and no opportunity in the NHL to this point. It's his first year of waiver eligibility and he would be fine in a depth NHL role. I think Weisbrod would encourage picking him up if given the opportunity. 

It's not the end of the world if he is claimed, and it isn't certain he would be. I still would prefer not to risk losing him for nothing if he looks strong in camp. 

If Klimchuk has a great camp he likely should be given strong consideration for the 4th line LW.

9 hours ago, kehatch said:

But if he looks strong in camp there is a spot for him. If he doesn't earn the job in camp then I can't see a team jumping on him on waivers. if they did i think there is a high probability the Flames would get a shot to get him back relatively soon.

I really like Klimchuk and hope he earns a spot but he's just the type of player most teams have 1 or 2 of so it's hard to justify picking him up on waivers IMO. I thkn there is at least 1 spot available at F for a young guy and maybe more if Treliving wants to do things like Buyout Browuer, move Lazar/stone etc.

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

But if he looks strong in camp there is a spot for him. If he doesn't earn the job in camp then I can't see a team jumping on him on waivers. if they did i think there is a high probability the Flames would get a shot to get him back relatively soon.

I really like Klimchuk and hope he earns a spot but he's just the type of player most teams have 1 or 2 of so it's hard to justify picking him up on waivers IMO. I thkn there is at least 1 spot available at F for a young guy and maybe more if Treliving wants to do things like Buyout Browuer, move Lazar/stone etc.

I'm in the buy out Brouwer camp and from there I would trade or waive Hathaway to the AHL over Lazar. Lazar is the more versatile player as a RHS has played LW, C and RW so have him as one of your 13 or 14th forwards. I would like to see a line of Klimchuk, Jankowski, Czarnik.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I'm in the buy out Brouwer camp and from there I would trade or waive Hathaway to the AHL over Lazar. Lazar is the more versatile player as a RHS has played LW, C and RW so have him as one of your 13 or 14th forwards. I would like to see a line of Klimchuk, Jankowski, Czarnik.

Depending on who looks good in camp, I would not be surprised to see Lazar, Hathaway, and Quine waived.  Two of them are RHS/C.  I'm also believing (until otherwise proven) that Brouwer is going to be bought out.  Maybe Klimchuk is kept, but he has shown very little at the NHL level to say he starts in the top 12.

Quine is more of an everyday NHL'er than he is.  Even Mangiapane has shown promise, but his being here only works in the right situation.  We go for a grinder line, then he doesn't.  

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Depending on who looks good in camp, I would not be surprised to see Lazar, Hathaway, and Quine waived.  Two of them are RHS/C.  I'm also believing (until otherwise proven) that Brouwer is going to be bought out.  Maybe Klimchuk is kept, but he has shown very little at the NHL level to say he starts in the top 12.

Quine is more of an everyday NHL'er than he is.  Even Mangiapane has shown promise, but his being here only works in the right situation.  We go for a grinder line, then he doesn't.  

I don't think we have a "grinder line" as our 4th line anyway you slice it. I don't know Quine at all so have no thoughts on him. Klimchuk vs Mangipane on LW would simply be whether you want Mangiapane getting maximum ice time to fill in higher up the line up if injuries occur or adjusting up while being on the team already.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I'm just wondering but what was the point of giving Hathaway an offer if the Flames are just going to waive him?

How do the Flames stack up this year?

Game plan as follows:

Will compete for a playoff spot. If no playoffs, BT gone. I still don’t believe they are good enough yet.

Flames need more offence from the back end and bottom 6 forwards. I see less here at this point over last year on D.

A major trade to acquire more offence will be done if we see a slow start to the season including seeing top prospect Valimaki dealt  plus picks to acquire such and it will be an overpayment.

Smith will get hurt due to being overplayed again, and Gillies or Rittich will earn an NHL job.

Parsons should show improvement and gain confidence with an AHL opportunity.

Too many bottom 6 forwards will cause the Flames to lose through waivers unless a multi-player trade for a key scorer.

Power play will be better, not sure on the penalty kill.

Don’t see Brouwer being bought out unless he shows nothing this year or to make room for a star player in trade.

Expect Bennett to be better this year.

All in all, I believe them to be a  ninth or tenth place team this year barring a major trade to improve scoring on the bottom six and back end. BT can’t wait too long if things don’t work out right away.

Archived