Flames 2018 Free Agency

cross16

1 minute ago, CheersMan said:

Which part, Lucic standing in our crease and pushing Smith around or Lucic rag dolling our skilled guys unimpeded?

I think you need a Reaves type to counter the Lucic's to get you to the playoffs.  Fighting in the playoffs historically drops off, but you need to get there first.

We need someone to counter the Lucic's.

I hear what you are saying. If we pick up a goon, it would be for that reason of course. Glass had his butt handed to him last year. It just seems such a shame to waste cap space and a roster spot to counter greasergoonsmanship.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Which part, Lucic standing in our crease and pushing Smith around or Lucic rag dolling our skilled guys unimpeded?

I think you need a Reaves type to counter the Lucic's to get you to the playoffs.  Fighting in the playoffs historically drops off, but you need to get there first.

We need someone to counter the Lucic's, and besides it makes for great entertainment, this is entertainment right?

My thing is that I don't think having Reaves on the bench is going to stop Lucic from doing that stuff. Goons are going to goon regardless of the fact that we have our own goon.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Apparently the Flames inquired at the deadline so I do think there is interest. I just don't see the fit.

and Personally I'd rather see them use Mangiapane and or Klimchuk instead of Reider. Similar skill sets for all 3 for me. 

This is a fair point that I agree wiht. I don't like the role, wish they would go in a different direction but as long as they don't get into Matt Martin territory it won't be worth getting upset about. 

For some reason, I expect a few other players to not be on the Flames roster by October.

I think the team believes that Mangiapane and Andersson are a given to be here.

They want to add impact players to help the PP and scoring.

Yet we have players like Lazar, Hathaway, Brouwer and Stone that have deals or should re-sign for cheap.  And Shore is an unknown.

Shipping out Dougie and Ferland does not fix the underlying issues the team had.

Saying all that, I expect two players brought in via free agency.  Adding two guys means you should be shipping out two guys.

If you want to stay the same or marginally improve, keep Lazar, Hathaway and Brouwer in the top 12.  Keep Stone in the top 6.

I still laugh every time the response to Reeves is "we need to stop Lucic" and totally ignores the fact that the Flames won that game and the Oilers didn't come close to the playoffs. 

Plenty of teams get into the playoffs without having players like Reeves in their lineup so I think the rationale that you need Reeves is very flawed. This is a philosophical debate so I get no minds are going to get changed but I stand by the fact that the evidence clearly to me shows you do not need guys like Reeves in today's' game. 

If they sign him for more than 2 year, it will just be the next contract that we will discuss buying out so i guess the upside is we'll have that to discuss. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I still laugh every time the response to Reeves is "we need to stop Lucic" and totally ignores the fact that the Flames won that game and the Oilers didn't come close to the playoffs. 

Plenty of teams get into the playoffs without having players like Reeves in their lineup so I think the rationale that you need Reeves is very flawed. This is a philosophical debate so I get no minds are going to get changed but I stand by the fact that the evidence clearly to me shows you do not need guys like Reeves in today's' game. 

If they sign him for more than 2 year, it will just be the next contract that we will discuss buying out so i guess the upside is we'll have that to discuss. 

By the sounds of it, the Oilers are doing everything they can to trade Lucic.

If he goes to a team in the East, they do we need to stop Lucic more than twice a season?

We barely can use a Brouwer, who was supposed to be gritty.

We brought in Lindholm, who isn't really a power forward.

Why is all of a sudden we need to bring in Reaves-types?

Ferland didn't do much to protect JH last year.  He didn't exactly suffer.

Big, bad players are being bought out or are there as an afterthought.

Let a tough guy be an afterthought for the Flames.

Re-sign Prout and bring him up for the games you want a scrapper.

He can be the 14th F for all I care.  

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm trying to avoid starting another 7 page thread , but I'll just say that the whole point is that if he does his job , he will barely fight at all.

Thing is you don't want the Hamonic's fighting , great that they will ,  but as an example .. do you really think a guy like Lucic was made to twice about whacking our best dman and goalie because he had to use Glass as a punching bag?  and why do you think Monahan needed 4 surgeries, it certainly wasn't from his own bruising style of play .

The reason he will be signed by somebody , is he CAN play .. well enough to stay in the lineup for a SC finalist 

I will just say IF we sign him, players like Johnny and Frolik etc., will be the happiest players in the room . Engelland was by far the biggest player we missed last year .

To counter Lucic, we should sign Alexei Emelin.  He made $4-mil last season and is UFA.  I hope no one signs him and then we can PTO him at $1-mil for 1-season.

He can be our new Engellend.  Give us that toughness on the 3rd D pairing.

35 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I do not think we need him, however if we do pick him up he better beat the skates off of Kassian... 

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

I never did catch which restaurant they were supposedly at. Did this go down at the Ranchmen's or the McD's near the crackMac's?

27 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Don Day is an absolute hidden gem in Calgary.  Classic hole in the wall, if not literally.  Highly recommended.

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

I hear what you are saying. If we pick up a goon, it would be for that reason of course. Glass had his butt handed to him last year. It just seems such a shame to waste cap space and a roster spot to counter greasergoonsmanship.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

My thing is that I don't think having Reaves on the bench is going to stop Lucic from doing that stuff. Goons are going to goon regardless of the fact that we have our own goon.

Reaves is not going to break the bank, I'd be okay with a two year deal < 1.5 AAV.  We need a hybrid team to compete against everyone, particularly divisional rivals.  This team has never been so soft and I don't want Hamonic and Gio fighting the battles.

Flames beat the Coilers last year?  All I remember is the 5-10 game losing streak vs Lucic prior and him having his way most nights. 

I have a pretty good sense of humor but I see no humor in our game when Lucic takes a swing at Smiths head, cross checks our skilled guys in the ribs then rag dolls the first willing sucker.  We need a counter, someone to bloody his nose and knock a tooth out if need be.  Its called respect and it is still part of the game whether you like it or not.

22 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Reaves is not going to break the bank, I'd be okay with a two year deal < 1.5 AAV.  We need a hybrid team to compete against everyone, particularly divisional rivals.  This team has never been so soft and I don't want Hamonic and Gio fighting the battles.

Flames beat the Coilers last year?  All I remember is the 5-10 game losing streak vs Lucic prior and him having his way most nights. 

I have a pretty good sense of humor but I see no humor in our game when Lucic takes a swing at Smiths head, cross checks our skilled guys in the ribs then rag dolls the first willing sucker.  We need a counter, someone to bloody his nose and knock a tooth out if need be.  Its called respect and it is still part of the game whether you like it or not.

How is Reaves a counter if he is on the bench? The guy can barely play 8mins a night. We are going to pay $1.5m for 7-8mins a night?  Luke Gazdic can do that for a fraction of the cost.

Let's get some toughness, but don't overpay for it and get toughness that can actually play a regular shift in the NHL.

If we want to protect our star players from cheapshots, I'd rather we Matt Hendricks or equivalent.  

Basically, if you line up Taylor Hall, then we're going to run Ekblad from behind.  If you going to closesline Marchessault, then we're going to throw a knee at Ovechkin.  If you going to run Fleury, then we are going to two hand chop Carlson on the wrist.

If you going to slash Gaudreau on the hands, then we going to elbow your star player in the corner.  

Reeves started targeting Wilson had it all wrong.  Instead, you gotta high stick OV in the face to send a message.  

Likewise, if Steve Moore concusses Naslund, then Matt Cooke needs to board Joe Sakic.  It's that simple.  You dont get your second best player to take a 40 game suspension to hit Moore back.  It's the wrong approach.

We don't need a guy to deter Lucic.  We need a guy with no empathy for human suffering, borderlining socialpathic, saddistic mofo, sitting on the bench praying for Lucic to slash Gaudreau so that he has a reason to end McDavid.  No one will instigate us.  Trust me.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If we want to protect our star players from cheapshots, I'd rather we Matt Hendricks or equivalent.  

Basically, if you line up Taylor Hall, then we're going to run Ekblad from behind.  If you going to closesline Marchessault, then we're going to throw a knee at Ovechkin.  If you going to run Fleury, then we are going to two hand chop Carlson on the wrist.

If you going to slash Gaudreau on the hands, then we going to elbow your star player in the corner.  

Reeves started targeting Wilson had it all wrong.  Instead, you gotta high stick OV in the face to send a message.  

Likewise, if Steve Moore concusses Naslund, then Matt Cooke needs to board Joe Sakic.  It's that simple.  You dont get your second best player to take a 40 game suspension to hit Moore back.  It's the wrong approach.

We don't need a guy to deter Lucic.  We need a guy with no empathy for human suffering, borderlining socialpathic, saddistic mofo, sitting on the bench praying for Lucic to slash Gaudreau so that he has a reason to end McDavid.  No one will instigate us.  Trust me.

Look what Garry Bettman has created.  I prefer the good old fashioned hockey fight instead.  Save the stars!

4 hours ago, kehatch said:

Reaves would be a bad add. I won't say terrible because I don't think the addition of a fourth line goon makes or breaks a team. Also, good teams have done well with Reaves on the roster. But I really don't like wasting a roster spot on a face puncher. 

Worse is that some team will be buying high on roster. Getting a goon is bad, overpaying for one is worse. 

That said, this is a fluffy rumour so I will worry about it if it actually happens. 

Agreed an enforcer who plays only 40 games a year isn't necessarily critical to a teams success.  The worry here is the rumour of term.  Christ. Term!  What, 3 or 4 years?  Third liner money maybe?  

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Enough with the Trump love already Peeps.

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

Look what Garry Bettman has created.  I prefer the good old fashioned hockey fight instead.  Save the stars!

This has been happening since before Bettman. Do you think Lucic or Wilson are going to stop doing with they do because they might get into a fight?  I can guarantee that they won't.

If the argument is to get Reaves to stop other goons from doing goon things because they might have to fight Reaves, then that argument is flat out wrong. Reaves doesn't stop anyone from doing anything. If Staal breaks Gaudreau finger with a slash, what is Reaves going to do? He can't fight Staal, that goes against the code.

25 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This has been happening since before Bettman. Do you think Lucic or Wilson are going to stop doing with they do because they might get into a fight?  I can guarantee that they won't.

If the argument is to get Reaves to stop other goons from doing goon things because they might have to fight Reaves, then that argument is flat out wrong. Reaves doesn't stop anyone from doing anything. If Staal breaks Gaudreau finger with a slash, what is Reaves going to do? He can't fight Staal, that goes against the code.

If anything, Staal breaks JH's finger, then Zucker gets a stick to the back of the leg.  That's not a Reaves doing it, it's more of a Bennett or Hathaway thing.

The goons aren't going to get anywhere near a star.  It has to be a functional player doing it.  

You want to try to get Wilson, I would be on board that well before Reaves.  Both are dirty players, but one can actually do something.

2 hours ago, CheersMan said:

The day of the designated goon is far back in the rear view mirror. The few remaining are merely a sideshow for those that ove pro wrestling more than hockey. Take it from a guy that watched a team known as the "Broad Street Bullies" back in the day when players would sit out scared to play them. It was known as the "Philadelphia Flu". Forgotten is that even the  4 Horsemen like Schultz started out as scorers in juniors.

1 of the best enforcers ever was John Fergusson who was good enough to pley regular shifts as he protected Beliveau while serving as his winger. Larry Robinson seldom fought because in his 1st few tilts he beat the other guy so badly nobody wanted to take him on.

As to the bolded, the Jets didn't have a goon but guys like Wheeler, Buff & Lowry were obliging enough to let opposing players know they didn't appreciate them taking liberties with any player.

The point is to deter others from taking those liberties a player needs to be on the ice. A Reaves on the bench is as useless in that situation as he'd be on the PP.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If anything, Staal breaks JH's finger, then Zucker gets a stick to the back of the leg.  That's not a Reaves doing it, it's more of a Bennett or Hathaway thing.

The goons aren't going to get anywhere near a star.  It has to be a functional player doing it.  

You want to try to get Wilson, I would be on board that well before Reaves.  Both are dirty players, but one can actually do something.

Star players have been taking the law into their own hands since the beginning of the NHL. Do this a few times and now players have to think twice about going into the corner with Keith. And for anyone who says this is only since the instigator went in, is forgetting just how brutal the good ol' days were. There was just as much, but probably more stick swinging back then.

18 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Enough with the Trump love already Peeps.

We might be able to ink him to a four year term.  I don't know if he deserves eight years just yet.  Depends on the cap hit I guess.  He does bleed red though...

He's a "Right Wing" (just what we need) with great hands, some say small, but he claims to grab kittens,... And I mean, if you can score like you don't have to ask,... We need scoring from our right side however we can get them.  Right?

The only problem is, we can't trade him after we sign him because, he's got this thing against free trading... Right?  So NTC it is.

His wife also social medias too much so we don't know how the other player's wives will feel about it.

But all in all, he's better than the other candidates.  He'll be a wall for us.  They will pay for it.  They will not enter our zone so easily.  The enemy will not terrorize us so easily.  He will make the Calgary Flames great again.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Re: bolded. You want a Link (The Missing Lnk) Gaetz?

The rest reminded me of what Clarke Gilles would do. He'd tell the other teams guy if they cheap shotted Bossy he'd drag their top player to center ice & beat the crap out of him. Another cheapie & it's the 2nd best player & he'll work his way through the lineup as required. Word would be carried to the bench & the cheap stuff tapered off. & remember Gilles is a HOFer that had a good scoring touch so was actually on the ice to ride shotgun.

On a different note..

Buyout period ends Saturday so for those hoping Brouwer would be a buyout will want to see if his name is on waivers tomorrow to facilitate that buyout. With Lindholm, Kulak and Hathaway all arbitration eligible it is possible the Flames will get another window to buyout a player but given his history with arbitration that doesn't seem likely, but hard to say. 

So we'll see tomorrow I guess. Flames have a lot of cap space so if Brouwer does hit waiver it would likely be a signal they are close on a few free agents. 

On a different note..

Buyout period ends Saturday so for those hoping Brouwer would be a buyout will want to see if his name is on waivers tomorrow to facilitate that buyout. With Lindholm, Kulak and Hathaway all arbitration eligible it is possible the Flames will get another window to buyout a player but given his history with arbitration that doesn't seem likely, but hard to say. 

So we'll see tomorrow I guess. Flames have a lot of cap space so if Brouwer does hit waiver it would likely be a signal they are close on a few free agents. 

I would welcome a buyout as I would sitting the player or waiving/demoting him.

$1.5m cap hit for 4 years vs. $4.5m cap hit not playing vs. $3.5m cap hit playing in the AHL.

The first one has to happen now, or as you say if they open another window by an arbitration case.

The other two can happen any time during the season, but the cap hit is higher for the year.

Will see, I guess.  

Archived