Nick Shore

Carty

Decent move. Hard to get too excited because while he has some good traits he similar to Stajan in that he really struggles to produce offence. Treliving seems to think there is more there so hopefully he is right otherwise your back to a 4th line center that can't score. However, he does have very encouraging numbers in terms of his ability to affect possession and offense so that is a positive given that the 4th line generally gets its teeth kicked in. Would also be great if he could get his Faceoffs back to where they were when he stated his career as he was quite good then, not as much now. 

Biggest potential could lie on the PK. Treliving called him a good PKer, I haven't seen enough to comment, which if true would be a pretty big help. Have not been a bit fan of Stajan on the PK, nor Brouwer since he came back. 

Flames top end looks great. Gaudreau is one of the top offensive players in the league, Monahan is proving to be an elite goal scorer, and Tkachuk may very project to be the best of them. Backlund is a good second line centre and Frolik is fine. It would be nice to add a RH shot or two, maybe a little size, and someone for the top line. But that's a young top 6 at a budget price. Looks good going into the future. 

But the bottom 6 is terrible. Brouwer and Stajan get paid way to much to do too little. Lazar, Hathaway, and the rest of the fill ins are replacement level at best. Versteeg is fine for the half of a season he plays. The only real glimmer is Jankowski and Bennett. Not because they have played great, but because there is some potential there. 

In the long run it would be nice to update the top 6 and see Frolik and Ferland trickle down. But taking chances on guys like Stewart and Shore are fine low risk plays. I would rather take a shot at the next Versteeg then spending a bunch of assets and cap on the next Brouwer. 

Plus, we added to RH shots and some flexibility to help with the four recall rule. Safe and no cost moves. 

6 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Good on PK and a right handed shot?  Does this mean no more Brouwer taking draws on the PK?

We can dream.

Basically, if we do re-sign Nick Shore, we basically have a younger cheaper (and probably speedier) Stajan. I'm okay with that on a 7th rounder.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I don't really have any problem with Shore's game, might be a perfect replacement for Stajan.

Stewart on the other hand really should know how to take a pass at this point of his career, maybe I'll give him an out and call it nerves.

Stewart is a swing and miss.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I don't really have any problem with Shore's game, might be a perfect replacement for Stajan.

Stewart on the other hand really should know how to take a pass at this point of his career, maybe I'll give him an out and call it nerves.

I thought they sat the wrong guy.

Stewart wasn't bad, but didn't do anything great other than knocking over McD.  He drew a penalty.  He looks like he's asleep some shifts.  Shore was good, but would have preferred to see him used as a winger.  Use him as spare C, in case Janko or whomever gets tossed.

Bennett-Janko-Shore

Without Chucky, but Versteeg back in:

Versteeg-Janko-Shore

With Chucky and Versteeg:

Bennett-Janko-Versteeg

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Shore was good, but would have preferred to see him used as a winger.  Use him as spare C, in case Janko or whomever gets tossed.

Shore was only 33% on the dot last night, so he might be better used as a winger...   

But if he can improve his FO % , he might be a good replacement for Stajan as a 4th line C...

1 hour ago, Carty said:

Shore was only 33% on the dot last night, so he might be better used as a winger...   

But if he can improve his FO % , he might be a good replacement for Stajan as a 4th line C...

Can't place too much emphasis on a single night.  He's played 2 games for us, and owns a 53% rate in the dot over those two games, which means he was equally incredible the game before.

His career rate in the dot is a bit over 50%, being somewhat dragged down by this year, but not too shabby.  He'd be better than most on our team if he can sustain those numbers.

At the end of this season, Shore will be a RFA with arbitration rights.

That said, I doubt the Flames give him more than the required 105% qualifying offer = $971.25k.

That's not a bad price for a 4th line C/RW, that can occasionally move up to the 3rd.

His skating is better than I had heard and I've really liked his fore-checking so far.

I had forgotten how he helped make the LAKs a pain to play against.

6 hours ago, Carty said:

I see him as a replacement for Brouwer, after the Flames buy him out.

I hated playing against him as a King.

I think he's a better player than some of our current guys.

5 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

At the end of this season, Shore will be a RFA with arbitration rights.

That said, I doubt the Flames give him more than the required 105% qualifying offer = $971.25k.

That's not a bad price for a 4th line C/RW, that can occasionally move up to the 3rd.

His skating is better than I had heard and I've really liked his fore-checking so far.

I had forgotten how he helped make the LAKs a pain to play against.

That's exactly the price. We desperately need to get away from 8+ million 4th lines. It's something that has kept us from getting better in the top 6.

Time to lose the handcuffs if we're going to improve in the forward ranks. Bad enough BT is over-committing on the back end for all the D prospects we have.

13 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Can't place too much emphasis on a single night.  He's played 2 games for us, and owns a 53% rate in the dot over those two games, which means he was equally incredible the game before.

His career rate in the dot is a bit over 50%, being somewhat dragged down by this year, but not too shabby.  He'd be better than most on our team if he can sustain those numbers.

If he stays at his career average, he could definitely become a core part of our bottom 6 (which does need a revamp pretty badly). And for the cost (a 7th rounder) and his likely salary (~1 mil) that isn't too bad.

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That's exactly the price. We desperately need to get away from 8+ million 4th lines. It's something that has kept us from getting better in the top 6.

Time to lose the handcuffs if we're going to improve in the forward ranks. Bad enough BT is over-committing on the back end for all the D prospects we have.

Maybe our 4th line next season should be Bennett, Shore and Lazar, 3Cs that can really motor but don't belong in the top 6.

Archived