• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no urgency in his game anywhere on the ice. He moves slowly no matter what the situation. He's become hard to watch as the Sting are a fast team, hard on the forechecking. But when Ruzicka gets the puck, he just lollygags like he has all of the time in the world. Quite a drop pass in the dying minutes of the 3rd when we were trying to press. Skates inside along their blueline, turns in, makes a drop pass to the place he just was??!! Clearly should have known no one was within 20 feet.

At the end of last nights game he had his hand squeezing Givani Smith's throat. That's a dangerous game, but someone on the Sting needs to handle Smith, he's big and intimidating and easily a big reason in the Rangers 5-3 win last night.

I'm thinking Ruzicka needs to get off of Kyrou's line in favour of Rymsha, but then he'll likely drag Ang down. But at least Ang is pissed right now, watched him give it to a line mate last night. This is a new Ang for me, and I like it!

Kyrou was outright flying last night, a split second too long with the puck quite a few times or we'd be talking hatty. Dude can literally shoot with steam from any direction his skates are pointing.

The Flyers have a player in Bunnaman methinks, big skilled C. Hardass.

There's no question who the team leader is. I'd prefer him to Logan Brown, for example.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Almost everyday this week i've been excited to come in here because I see you have a new post and i'm excited to read the report. Every day I now leave crushed.

Thanks conundrumed..... ;)

I was hoping that he was old enough to play on the Heat.  That might help with the motivation factor.  

But, still way too young.  Unless somehow, he is exempt due to where he came from.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Unless somehow, he is exempt due to where he came from.

Unfortunately not. It goes by where you are drafted out of not where you are from. Ruzicka was drafted out of the CHL so falls under that agreement. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Almost everyday this week i've been excited to come in here because I see you have a new post and i'm excited to read the report. Every day I now leave crushed.

Thanks conundrumed..... ;)

Sorry cross. If he would just try to look like he's trying I'd be more upbeat. He's turning the puck over in every way imaginable. Even starting a rush the puck will just roll off of his stick when he looks up.

The bright side is that it's unusual play by him. He just isn't focused, winning board battles and finding areas to shoot from, the things he normally does well.

That's why everyone's pissed at him, not used to seeing him THIS out of sorts.

Inconsistent, sure. But this has gone quite a bit beyond that. 

He's getting prime ice still, no idea why his confidence looks completely shot.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Sorry cross. If he would just try to look like he's trying I'd be more upbeat. He's turning the puck over in every way imaginable. Even starting a rush the puck will just roll off of his stick when he looks up.

The bright side is that it's unusual play by him. He just isn't focused, winning board battles and finding areas to shoot from, the things he normally does well.

That's why everyone's pissed at him, not used to seeing him THIS out of sorts.

Inconsistent, sure. But this has gone quite a bit beyond that. 

He's getting prime ice still, no idea why his confidence looks completely shot.

Based off of what you are describing, this is exactly how he played in the WJC. He basically invisible in that tournament, when he should have been one of their top performers. This has been the knock on him for a while. Hopefully he can figure it out, but I just get the feeling that he is always going to be one of those players that just leaves you wanting more.

Wow, THAT was a playoff hockey game! 3-2 Rangers OT win.

Ruzicka - finally, this is all we're asking for! A bit of puck luck and he'd have had a couple. Saved at least 3 prime scoring chances, 2 on the backcheck on 3-on-2's (one near certain an early goal) and at least 1 with solid D play. Takeaways in the offensive zone, solid board play, shots on net, threaded the needle a few times with passes.

His first shift set the tone, went from scoring chance to a hard stick on a 3-2 that was looking like pass-pass-pass goal. Ruzicka back to lift the stick.

This is the Ruzicka we aren't angry with.

Now for the Flames-level frustration. Kitchener is keeping this chippy because Sarnia is FAST and the Rangers BIG for the most part.

First 2 periods, some chances but fairly even. 1-0 Rangers. 3rd period, Sarnia was FLYING. Took right over. 2-1 Sarnia with about 10 minutes left.

Keep skating, right? Nope, line 5 up at your blueline to prevent zone entry...so, then it's 2-2 and you stopped skating and you can't just flip a switch on it.

OT was all Rangers as Sarnia still looked stuck in the mud.

Why do coaches still try to protect leads? Has this movie not been shown in enough theatres with every possible actor??

Think the Flames PP is bad? That's nothing.

These playoffs, Sarnia is 1 for 42.

The ONE was an empty netter.

This is how bad it can get when the opposition KNOWS that Jordan Kyrou/Johnny Gaudreau are going to lead your zone entry EVERY TIME on the drop pass.

I consider it a win for the Sting if they can even get it set up, because they typically can't.

The 1st powerplay is Ruzicka-Rymsha-Ang Dineen/Kyrou. So we can't blame Brouwer.:lol:

Another Flames-like trait is excellent shooting opportunities and opting for the 20% likelihood the pass will make it to it's target.

Good series - tons of talent, Bunnaman still impresses me a lot. Does everything well.

This is the consolation series, Katchouk's SSM are up for the winner undoubtedly, up 3-2 on the Owen Sound Cinderellas.

• 8 months later...

I have to be honest the more I watch Ruzicka the less I like him. What a waste of size and skill. Every time I watch him, I just can't get over how little urgency he has to his game, he also consistently loses puck battles to smaller players. 

In a league where pace and speed are at all time highs I just don't see Ruzicka as an NHL player. I am not even sure I would waste a contract on him to be honest.

On 2018-12-27 at 8:37 PM, JTech780 said:

I have to be honest the more I watch Ruzicka the less I like him. What a waste of size and skill. Every time I watch him, I just can't get over how little urgency he has to his game, he also consistently loses puck battles to smaller players. 

In a league where pace and speed are at all time highs I just don't see Ruzicka as an NHL player. I am not even sure I would waste a contract on him to be honest.

All I can say is that he is in desperate need of coaching and hard work. For a big man, he can shoot and dangle.

Getting drafted and attending pro camps seems to be his climax if someone can’t get through to him.

He has the tools, but I’m seeing zero progression on things like skating and vision that I know he’s been told to work on.

So why sign a guy who won’t put in the hard work?

He’s a passenger.

Turning pro is a complete change in scope of work. He isn’t getting it.

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

All I can say is that he is in desperate need of coaching and hard work. For a big man, he can shoot and dangle.

Getting drafted and attending pro camps seems to be his climax if someone can’t get through to him.

He has the tools, but I’m seeing zero progression on things like skating and vision that I know he’s been told to work on.

So why sign a guy who won’t put in the hard work?

He’s a passenger.

Turning pro is a complete change in scope of work. He isn’t getting it.

Hope they give him an AHL deal so that he can learn somehow what it takes to be noticed.

Keep waiting for him to figure it out, but maybe a new coach is what he needs.

Or a heart to heart.

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Hope they give him an AHL deal so that he can learn somehow what it takes to be noticed.

Keep waiting for him to figure it out, but maybe a new coach is what he needs.

Or a heart to heart.

It all comes down to character imo.

You have it or you don’t.

Chychrun, for example.

Stamkos set the bar in Sarnia. Only Chychrun came close.

Arrogance gets the best of too many because their peers act like they’re the bomb.

I’m interested to see if Kyrou gets over himself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:
Pat SteinbergVerified account @Fan960Steinberg
Calgary has signed 2017 fourth round pick Adam Ruzicka to a three-year entry level contract. 6’4 centre split last season with Sarnia and Sudbury in the OHL. 35 goals and 78 points in 65 games last season. #FlamesNHLFlames.png
1:03 PM - 12 Apr 2019

Hopefully he can figure out how to play with a consistent effort, because from what I have seen, I see a guy with a lot skills and size but a player that plays with no urgency, and varying degrees of effort. His hockey IQ is suspect at times as well. 

No harm in signing him and seeing if he can improve at the pro level, with pro coaching in Stockton. 

51 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Hopefully he can figure out how to play with a consistent effort, because from what I have seen, I see a guy with a lot skills and size but a player that plays with no urgency, and varying degrees of effort. His hockey IQ is suspect at times as well. 

No harm in signing him and seeing if he can improve at the pro level, with pro coaching in Stockton. 

= Rene Bourque 

I have faith that the coaching in Stockton will fix his consistency issues.

It sure seems to have worked with Rasmus Andersson.

Admittedly, I've only watched Ruzicka play in a few games.

To me, his hockey IQ and skills looked fine, but his effort was not always there.

39 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

I have faith that the coaching in Stockton will fix his consistency issues.

It sure seems to have worked with Rasmus Andersson.

Admittedly, I've only watched Ruzicka play in a few games.

To me, his hockey IQ and skills looked fine, but his effort was not always there.

Perhaps it was the team he was on.  After the trade, he started lighting it up.

He's got NHL size, so who knows.  He may be ready for a pro game and coaching that goes with it.

I've seen the same issues as Jtech it is really the effort level that comes and goes in him. But at the same time you can't teach size and you also can't really teach skill and he's got plenty of both. I'm all for giving him a shot and he can decide whether or not he wants to be a pro and have a future in hockey because I do truly believe he's got the necessary skills to do it. 

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I've seen the same issues as Jtech it is really the effort level that comes and goes in him. But at the same time you can't teach size and you also can't really teach skill and he's got plenty of both. I'm all for giving him a shot and he can decide whether or not he wants to be a pro and have a future in hockey because I do truly believe he's got the necessary skills to do it. 

You have to wonder about a player like him.

Drafted, just waiting for his chance to play in the bigs.

Yet, he takes half the season off and looks bored playing.

If he's willing to put in the effort every night, he could be a find.

Getting him in the right circumstances to do so is key.

In other words, the right coach to turn him loose.

• 3 months later...

Pretty high praise from his ex coach and ex Flame Cory Stillman:

"I really believe this kid has the potential to be a first-line NHL centreman," predicts the two-time Stanley Cup champion, a sixth-overall draft pick who spent 395 games in Flames' livery, scoring 109 goals.

"You always hear about players being able to play to their top level every day. Well, when he came to Sudbury, he did that. Every day. And that made him the best player on the ice, night in, night out.

"Adam made everyone around him a better player. In the time he was with us, whoever we put on his line, he could elevate their game. That's the potential he has.

"We'd only play against them twice year so I was surprised when we got him just how good he actually was."

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/the-whole-package/c-308253516

Archived