Juuso Valimaki

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, zima said:

Kinda Like Kyl same thing I guess

Not really.  Kylington dropped due to his attitude and conditioning, according to some.  Or his lack of results when he jumped to the top league.

Liljegren dropped because he had lost almost the entire season to mono and an injury, if I recall correctly.

Player drop all the time, but Liljegren was worse than Chychrun.  

39 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

By the sounds of it, Valimaki will have to go back to the WHL this season.  I believe that he was "loaned" to the WHL team, which means he can only go back to the WHL this season.

As far as I read, him being on loan to the WHL means he can go to the AHL next year, it just depends if we have room.

20 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

As far as I read, him being on loan to the WHL means he can go to the AHL next year, it just depends if we have room.

Here is what I read, and sorry I got it backwards, the presumption is that he was loaned....

The presumption was that he was signed directly, but Treliving’s comments suggest that Valimaki was actually loaned to Tri-City by Ilves – he wouldn’t be able to play in the AHL otherwise. If a player is CHL property when they’re drafted they’re subject to the NHL/CHL agreement, but if they’re on loan they’re not.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Here is what I read, and sorry I got it backwards, the presumption is that he was loaned....

The presumption was that he was signed directly, but Treliving’s comments suggest that Valimaki was actually loaned to Tri-City by Ilves – he wouldn’t be able to play in the AHL otherwise. If a player is CHL property when they’re drafted they’re subject to the NHL/CHL agreement, but if they’re on loan they’re not.

Yea I got you now, I just read that article as well. Im assuming he wont be in the AHL next year simply because we have too many defenders there for him to play big minutes,, and another year in the WHL would be good for him, especially with the minutes he will get in tri city.

26 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Yea I got you now, I just read that article as well. Im assuming he wont be in the AHL next year simply because we have too many defenders there for him to play big minutes,, and another year in the WHL would be good for him, especially with the minutes he will get in tri city.

I'm starting to think that too.  Only lost two AHL players this summer.  Spoon, Kulak, Andersson, Healey, Olas-Mattsson, Kylington would be there assuming none make the NHL.  Also Kostca and Aulie are options there in case too.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'm starting to think that too.  Only lost two AHL players this summer.  Spoon, Kulak, Andersson, Healey, Olas-Mattsson, Kylington would be there assuming none make the NHL.  Also Kostca and Aulie are options there in case too.

I would think, especially after Hamonic (although RH'd), we have a pretty hard D to crack.  Likely junior imho.

And probably best for him as well.   He should nearly dominate the league (if all goes well).   And dominating a league, playing all the key minutes and all the key situations, isn't a bad thing for Valimaki to learn.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2017-11-05 at 9:11 AM, travel_dude said:

Hot Dog move at the end, but the goalie had no idea where the puck was coming from.  Nice to see one of our prospects displaying that kind of skill.

Disagree it’s a hot dog move, more like a super-skilled move.  Confuses the goalie, protects the puck and gets a great shot on the wide open short side.  

1 hour ago, cccsberg said:

Disagree it’s a hot dog move, more like a super-skilled move.  Confuses the goalie, protects the puck and gets a great shot on the wide open short side.  

Do that in a NHL game and you might sit on the bench.  It's great if you can execute it all the time or you have a low probability of scoring.  I just don't like to see it when things are on the line.  I imagine that lots of players can do it.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Do that in a NHL game and you might sit on the bench.  It's great if you can execute it all the time or you have a low probability of scoring.  I just don't like to see it when things are on the line.  I imagine that lots of players can do it.

I think that's stupid. Maybe if it costs you something it would be a trip to the bench, but do whatever you need to do to score in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, xstrike said:

I think that's stupid. Maybe if it costs you something it would be a trip to the bench, but do whatever you need to do to score in my opinion.

It worked.  That's the only reason we are talking about it.  It backfires and you never hear about it.  You try it, if that's your best chance to score.  If you can do it in your sleep, fine.  It wows the people editing highlight reels.  And it's fun to watch. 

Anyway, I am happy to have the player.  It's nice to see his skill level.      

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It worked.  That's the only reason we are talking about it.  It backfires and you never hear about it.  You try it, if that's your best chance to score.  If you can do it in your sleep, fine.  It wows the people editing highlight reels.  And it's fun to watch. 

Anyway, I am happy to have the player.  It's nice to see his skill level.      

Twice Tkachuk has tried that similar move without success and this is probably the first time we have talked about that. I like the move as he is actually shooting off his forehand instead of his backhand with the goalie following the backhand look.

Also very happy he is one of our prospects.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2017 at 8:36 PM, Flyerfan52 said:

How high do you realistically think the Flames could have gone with the limited tradable assets they had?

Outside the top 3 (which would have cost us a minimum of Bennett+) we got the player I wanted most. When the Jets used to own #13 I saw them as lucky if he'd still be there & getting him @ 16 was a steal IMO. I expect to see him as a regular within 2 years over most of our current D prospects.

Heiskanen was the only D I thought higher of.

Can we still do this Bennett deal you brought up?

Bennett issues aside (we shoulda already traded him), Valimaki continues to look strong.  Even more complete.

• 5 months later...

Season is over for Valamaki as Tri City lost last night, but a stellar playoffs. 4 goals and 17 points in 12 Games. highest PPG of any dman in the WHL save for 2 guys that played less than 4 games each. Have to believe his junior career is done. He'll be in the A or the NHL next year.

I think it will likely be the AHL but I think he is close, and it sounds like players agree as well. He's the total package, pretty exciting prospect. 

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Season is over for Valamaki as Tri City lost last night, but a stellar playoffs. 4 goals and 17 points in 12 Games. highest PPG of any dman in the WHL save for 2 guys that played less than 4 games each. Have to believe his junior career is done. He'll be in the A or the NHL next year.

I think it will likely be the AHL but I think he is close, and it sounds like players agree as well. He's the total package, pretty exciting prospect. 

If we got rid of Stone, brought up Andersson, and traded Brodie for a top 6 winger, do you think he would make it out of camp?

Maybe jumping ahead of the development path, but Peters was decent at getting young D ready.  

Gio-Hamilton

Valimaki-Hamonic

Kulak-Andersson

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If we got rid of Stone, brought up Andersson, and traded Brodie for a top 6 winger, do you think he would make it out of camp?

Maybe jumping ahead of the development path, but Peters was decent at getting young D ready.  

Gio-Hamilton

Valimaki-Hamonic

Kulak-Andersson

Would need to be a really good top 6 winger.

Pretty risky D core. You're going to wind up leaving heaviily at times on some young players and i'm not sure that's an ideal situation for the Flames right now. I'd rather see him in the A and see Andersson for a year in the NHL before you make a move like that. Or sign a veteran LH dman to a 1 year deal for some stability. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Pretty risky D core. You're going to wind up leaving heaviily at times on some young players and i'm not sure that's an ideal situation for the Flames right now. I'd rather see him in the A and see Andersson for a year in the NHL before you make a move like that. Or sign a veteran LH dman to a 1 year deal for some stability. 

I wouldn't be selling Brodie for scraps.  Would have to be for a decent winger.  RHS.

Yes, you might need to replace the experience of Brodie with a cheap vet.  Depth in case Kulak can;t handle the minutes.

Ideally, it's a one year deal, not another Stone contract.  Not Bart.

On 2018-05-01 at 11:46 AM, cross16 said:

If youre assessment is true true in how he coaches, then our D should have very little time with the puck. Check fast, turnover quick, transition faster.

but hey, that’s how the pens play.

mind you, they had a “poor”or young D core the first year they won the cup out of these past two they just won.

the Ducks have leaned heavily on young D like Lindholm or whatever when he was a rookie.

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

If youre assessment is true true in how he coaches, then our D should have very little time with the puck. Check fast, turnover quick, transition faster.

but hey, that’s how the pens play.

mind you, they had a “poor”or young D core the first year they won the cup out of these past two they just won.

the Ducks have leaned heavily on young D like Lindholm or whatever when he was a rookie.

If he wins a job in training camp and comes in ready then by all means play him. I'm not suggesting Valamaki can't play, but I do disagree with the idea of trading Brodie in order to play Valamaki. Typically you need to shelter young D and it would just make Peters job of sheltering him pretty difficult when 3 of your bottom 6 D would be an inexperienced as Valamaki, Kulak and Andersson.

Not impossible, just not sure that's the best idea for a team that wants to win. I'd rather not put that much pressure on a 20 year old dman. 

Archived