So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

47 minutes ago, Pyromancer said:

Never seen a division so locked down as the Atlantic. I would say top 3 already determined with 25-30 games remaining.

The bottom 5 might have a sniff at a WC but only with an exceptional finish. My Hab friends hate me for pointing this out.

Our best bet is still top 3 Pacific although the gap to a WC position is narrowing as the Central has weakened slightly.

The likelihood of the Oil going 24-4 & Nucks going 24-2 to make the show? :lol::lol::lol:B)

9e25b1011c52f338afaef95f8ea098ad.png

The questions become ca LVK keep it up and SJS are not the same team without Thornton. Have the Flames played their best hockey yet and I would have to say no but now we could be without Smith for awhile. We will need a lot to go right for us to get in.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not completely sure why, but I am getting a gut feeling that the Flames are going to be solid through the last 26 games.

I think that Rittich will hold strong until Smith is recovered.

Gaudreau and Tkachuk are reaching new heights in their games.

Monahan is as clutch as they come.

Ferland, Backlund, & Frolik are playing well.

The entire D (even Brodie) are beginning to gel.

If the PP improves at all, this team could do some real damage in the play-offs.

I'm not expecting the SC; but in general, I'm tired of the negativity and nit-picking on EVERY Calgary Flames message board, not just this one.

Personally, I'll not speak another negative word about the Flames this season.

I'm going to stick to cheering for this team.

14 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Not completely sure why, but I am getting a gut feeling that the Flames are going to be solid through the last 26 games.

If the PP improves at all, this team could do some real damage in the play-offs.

I'm not expecting the SC; but in general, I'm tired of the negativity and nit-picking on EVERY Calgary Flames message board, not just this one.

I'm with you.

It's time to just cheer and not go sideways on everything when we lose. We are playing well.

My one wish is, say, a Hoffman, simply due to having 1 more player along with Mony and Tkachuk with good/tricky shot releases.

If not, so be it. Hard work is just as effective!

18 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm with you.

It's time to just cheer and not go sideways on everything when we lose. We are playing well.

My one wish is, say, a Hoffman, simply due to having 1 more player along with Mony and Tkachuk with good/tricky shot releases.

If not, so be it. Hard work is just as effective!

Surely you two don't include avoiding criticizing GG, Brouwer, and Stajan, do you? That would be a very tall order.

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

Surely you two don't include avoiding criticizing GG, Brouwer, and Stajan, do you? That would be a very tall order.

Nothing wrong with being critical.  But you have to recognize the good at the same time.

Gully has heard the word about playing Dougie on the top PP unit.

The road game is almost perfect because the players define the game, not the matchups.

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Nothing wrong with being critical.  But you have to recognize the good at the same time.

Gully has heard the word about playing Dougie on the top PP unit.

The road game is almost perfect because the players define the game, not the matchups.

Put another way, doesn't that mean we win when the opposing coach defines the matchups? Either every other coach is terrible, or ...

26 minutes ago, Pyromancer said:

Since I regularly make these, I might as well post them.

With Excel & Gyazo they take me about 5 min max to create.

62181cfb46ac80a9c49d32474eb02130.png

We will be battling to get into the playoffs. LAK and ANA will be coming on soon and the Central already has 5 strong performing teams.

We need to get our 3rd line improved and get this PP providing a heck of a lot more scoring for us. Otherwise we are toast.

Definitely no coasting. The possibility of a wild card position in the West appears to be a longshot.

Someone in the Centrall will likely miss with a winning record which is tragic in part; i.e. Colorado currently 31-21-4 on the outside looking in.

As has been for weeks, we need to get top 3 Pacific which means outplaying 2 of San Jose, Anaheim, and Los Angeles.

Just a general statement, and I know it's negative, but I only mean it because I think this, not because I'm all woebegone.

We are such a mish-mashed team imho.

The NCAA looks like hail mary to me after Gaudreau. They all look like guys that are projects.

Yet every year this big celebration that we signed Spencer Foo.

The overseas guys like Pribyl...I get the nothing ventured nothing lost, but we really have to get better at scouting in our own backyard and only highend, not maybe if, from elsewhere.

We lack a lot of toughness, and we keep knocking on softer player doors looking for the bargain.

I worry that we do nothing but soft backup fwds anymore, now we have no depth at fwd.

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Just a general statement, and I know it's negative, but I only mean it because I think this, not because I'm all woebegone.

We are such a mish-mashed team imho.

The NCAA looks like hail mary to me after Gaudreau. They all look like guys that are projects.

Yet every year this big celebration that we signed Spencer Foo.

The overseas guys like Pribyl...I get the nothing ventured nothing lost, but we really have to get better at scouting in our own backyard and only highend, not maybe if, from elsewhere.

We lack a lot of toughness, and we keep knocking on softer player doors looking for the bargain.

I worry that we do nothing but soft backup fwds anymore, now we have no depth at fwd.

But do you think the league has changed and now favours smaller, faster, quicker, skilled, etc over big, power, presence, grit, etc?

Nice thing about the remaining schedule is basically half of their games are against divisional opponents and they play the most divisional games of any team in the division.

So for all their warts and for some of the doom and gloom on the season the Flames are basically 100% in control of whether or not they make the playoffs and how high they finish. 

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I do. But it isn't just smaller, lighter and faster.

Grit looks like a huge part, we don't really have much. imho.

is it grit or compete? 

Maybe we are drawing too fine a line here but I honestly think the Flames have plenty of grit. Every since they swaped out Jagr and brough in the likes of Hathaway, Lomberg, played Lazar etc I think they have plenty of grit and can play a more physical game. Has there been a team that pushed around the Flames recently?

I don't think they stick to it for 60 mins enough, but i'm not sure that is a grit issue. At least for me. I don't think the Flames are fast enough to play the high pressure games that the really successful teams do, that's their biggest weakness for me. 

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

is it grit or compete? 

Maybe we are drawing too fine a line here but I honestly think the Flames have plenty of grit. Every since they swaped out Jagr and brough in the likes of Hathaway, Lomberg, played Lazar etc I think they have plenty of grit and can play a more physical game. Has there been a team that pushed around the Flames recently?

I don't think they stick to it for 60 mins enough, but i'm not sure that is a grit issue. At least for me. I don't think the Flames are fast enough to play the high pressure games that the really successful teams do, that's their biggest weakness for me. 

I think within your roster there has to be a balance with size and skill levels. If you are not the fastest team you better have players that are prepared to hit and slow the opposition down. I do agree the loss of Jagr and now Brouwer is letting the like of Lazar, Lomberg and Hathaway come in and show their stuff. I would prefer they play Lazar with Bennett and Jankowski on RW only because I think this is why we got him, let's give him a run there. A 4th line of Lomberg, Stajan and Hathaway is a good set up.

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I do. But it isn't just smaller, lighter and faster.

Grit looks like a huge part, we don't really have much. imho.

Help could be on the way with Tuulola and Fischer as forwards. We have Prout and Healy coming in the AHL if we want to insert some sandpaper.

Right now I think we are seeing Ferland has changed his focus. Tkachuk causes havoc but would be a real force with 20 more lbs on him. I like Bennett's game now and he could be a force yet. These 3 could be our best all round players.

Then we do have our powder puffs, good players but will never be big hitter/checker types Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Frolik, Jankowski, Brodie, Kulak etc.. You always hope these types smarts will override the lack of braun. LOL

A tale of two teams: Calgary Flames vs. Nashville Predators

Looking at this year's version of the Flames, as well as last year it seems more and more apparent that the Flames still have a ways to go to climb into the top echelon of NHL teams and truly challenge for a Stanley Cup.  The team has had moments of brilliance, and gone on sustained streaks but unfortunately both winning and losing.  Inconsistency, mental breakdowns at the most inopportune moments and a coaching structure that seems to have elevated their possession, yes, while at the same time strangled the life out of a few keys players has left the team in a precarious place.  Currently we sit as a playoff bubble team, 5th in the Pacific Division and 10th in the Conference.  With Nashville's success in 2017 and the similarities between the Flames and Nashville-that being no generational superstars and a generally deep and strong defence-it seems a quick comparison between the two might be instructive to the Flames current situation and where we need to go from here.  Let's start in 2014, the year the Preds cleaned house and started a new direction forward:

March 5, 2014 - trade David Legwand (first Nashville pick and Captain ever) for Patrick Eaves, Calle Jarnkrok = releasing the old guard/cornerstone of the franchise

*(1) May 6, 2014 - Peter Laviolette (SCup winning coach 2006 w/Carolina) hired as new Head Coach = setting new direction with proven winner, long-time coach

May 21, 2014 - Phil Housley (HOF All-time best American Defenseman) hired as Assistant Coach = provided expertise at key position moving forward

Oct 29, 2015 - completed Executive transition, replacing long-time CEO but retain GM David Poole (4x GM year candidate) = maintain hockey commitment

*(2) Jan 6, 2016 - trade Seth Jones (#4 OA pick, dynamic promising potential 1D) for Ryan Johanson (dynamic, young 4x All-Star, 30-goal, 70-pt 1C) = deal from strength

*(3) June 29, 2016 - trade Shea Webber (All-star Norris-candidate 1D) for PK Subban (younger, dynamic, but controversial, All-Star, Norris winner 1D) = no guts, no glory

July 1, 2017 - sign Nick Bonino (SC winning 3C), Scott Hartnell, acquire Alexie Emelin (hard-nosed D) for 3rd Rd pick = bring in experience and toughness

Oct 23, 2017 - Nashville Predators named ESPN's #1 professional sports franchise in all categories.....

*(4) Nov 5, 2017 - acquire Kyle Turris in 3-way deal (dynamic, 3x-20 goal 1C) for Prospect Samuel Girard (D) Kamenev and 2nd Rd pick = complete Centre upgrades

Potential comparables of the top 4 moves for the Flames might be the following:

*(1) Re-evaluate coaching staff in April after missing playoffs, replace GGulutzan and all(?) assistant coaches with proven winner = ?

*(2) trade Sam Bennett (#4 OA pick, dynamic promising C/LW) for Evander Kane (dynamic, proven winger... ready to settle down) = give to get a clear upgrade

*(3) trade Mark Giordano (All-Star Norris-candidate Captain) for ? (dynamic, younger D)

*(4) trade TJ Brodie (dynamic 1D/2D) for ? (dynamic 1C), move Monahan to 1RW

Clear out - Stajan, Brouwer (buy-out), Versteeg, and Jagr.  Potential trade chip adds - Gillies/Rittich, Anderson/Kylington, Stone, Lazar, Frolik....

Choice trade targets: Mark Stone, Ryan O'Reilly, Justin Faulk, Erik Karlsson

CCC, I would say that Gio should be traded well before his expiry date.  

The coaching staff have had differing results; Johnny and Monahan have become better since Y1 of Gully.

Brodie and Bennett have become worse.  Tkachuk has become great.  Backlund has tailed off a bit.  Ferland has been up and down.

There is a lot of talent in the organization, but some of it is being misused.  Does anyone really believe that 12-14 minutes of Stone is better than 12-14 minutes of Andersson?  Brodie should have top pair minutes, though Hamilton is way better at points per 60 minutes?  Bridle Tkachuk with the worst defensive starts from day 1, even though he just 19?  

3 hours ago, cccsberg said:

A tale of two teams: Calgary Flames vs. Nashville Predators

Looking at this year's version of the Flames, as well as last year it seems more and more apparent that the Flames still have a ways to go to climb into the top echelon of NHL teams and truly challenge for a Stanley Cup.  The team has had moments of brilliance, and gone on sustained streaks but unfortunately both winning and losing.  Inconsistency, mental breakdowns at the most inopportune moments and a coaching structure that seems to have elevated their possession, yes, while at the same time strangled the life out of a few keys players has left the team in a precarious place.  Currently we sit as a playoff bubble team, 5th in the Pacific Division and 10th in the Conference.  With Nashville's success in 2017 and the similarities between the Flames and Nashville-that being no generational superstars and a generally deep and strong defence-it seems a quick comparison between the two might be instructive to the Flames current situation and where we need to go from here.  Let's start in 2014, the year the Preds cleaned house and started a new direction forward:

March 5, 2014 - trade David Legwand (first Nashville pick and Captain ever) for Patrick Eaves, Calle Jarnkrok = releasing the old guard/cornerstone of the franchise

*(1) May 6, 2014 - Peter Laviolette (SCup winning coach 2006 w/Carolina) hired as new Head Coach = setting new direction with proven winner, long-time coach

May 21, 2014 - Phil Housley (HOF All-time best American Defenseman) hired as Assistant Coach = provided expertise at key position moving forward

Oct 29, 2015 - completed Executive transition, replacing long-time CEO but retain GM David Poole (4x GM year candidate) = maintain hockey commitment

*(2) Jan 6, 2016 - trade Seth Jones (#4 OA pick, dynamic promising potential 1D) for Ryan Johanson (dynamic, young 4x All-Star, 30-goal, 70-pt 1C) = deal from strength

*(3) June 29, 2016 - trade Shea Webber (All-star Norris-candidate 1D) for PK Subban (younger, dynamic, but controversial, All-Star, Norris winner 1D) = no guts, no glory

July 1, 2017 - sign Nick Bonino (SC winning 3C), Scott Hartnell, acquire Alexie Emelin (hard-nosed D) for 3rd Rd pick = bring in experience and toughness

Oct 23, 2017 - Nashville Predators named ESPN's #1 professional sports franchise in all categories.....

*(4) Nov 5, 2017 - acquire Kyle Turris in 3-way deal (dynamic, 3x-20 goal 1C) for Prospect Samuel Girard (D) Kamenev and 2nd Rd pick = complete Centre upgrades

Potential comparables of the top 4 moves for the Flames might be the following:

*(1) Re-evaluate coaching staff in April after missing playoffs, replace GGulutzan and all(?) assistant coaches with proven winner = ?

*(2) trade Sam Bennett (#4 OA pick, dynamic promising C/LW) for Evander Kane (dynamic, proven winger... ready to settle down) = give to get a clear upgrade

*(3) trade Mark Giordano (All-Star Norris-candidate Captain) for ? (dynamic, younger D)

*(4) trade TJ Brodie (dynamic 1D/2D) for ? (dynamic 1C), move Monahan to 1RW

Clear out - Stajan, Brouwer (buy-out), Versteeg, and Jagr.  Potential trade chip adds - Gillies/Rittich, Anderson/Kylington, Stone, Lazar, Frolik....

Choice trade targets: Mark Stone, Ryan O'Reilly, Justin Faulk, Erik Karlsson

I believe you will see a Coaching review in the offseason but I don't think they will fire GG.

Evander Kane is a douchebag and you shouldn't want this guy on our team. Bennett outside of not lighting it up is doing lots of other things well.

I think you would have a delicate situation on your hands with trading Giordano who is still by far the best defenseman we have now not to mention a well respected Captain.

Brodie is frustrating everyone I'm sure but it may not be the right time to trade him either.

This team could be on the cusp of becoming very good with a few players out of the way and one smart trade for a good RW (not even a top line RW). Like TD said we need to get the right players in the mix playing in the right places. Should BT be able to trade Brouwer and Stone in the offseason we would have a good start. Stajan is done.

I honestly think our top line RW is already here in Tkachuk.

Bennett IMO would be worth a try with Backlund and Frolik before being given up on. (if they are ready to give up on Bennett this is where Hoffman OTT could be a fit)

Ferland should be confident enough now to help others and putting him with Jankowski is worth a go, now here is where it gets tricky, do you drop Frolik down with them or try someone like Spenser Foo ? If it were me I would go with Foo initially. (I see this 3rd line RW as a position BT could be addressing)

I think we will have some real good choices for our 4th line next season.

To give you my honest opinion I would trade Bennett plus to land Hoffman now because it give us a proven scorer that could be supported by two strong all-round forwards in Backlund and Frolik. I don't know what the plus is but maybe it is Stone. We start to look better.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk

Hoffman, Backlund, Frolik

Ferland, Jankowski, Lazar ( for now I like him better than Hathaway) or maybe have a look at Foo.

Lomberg, Stajan, Hathaway

Giordano, Hamilton

Brodie, Hamonic

Kulak, Andersson

Smith

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

What i think is most interesting about the Nashville to Calgary comparison is this...

You can make ALOT of parallels to last year's Nashville team and this year' Flames team. 

I think Poille to his credit realized as a team NAS had become stagnant which saw some significant player exchanges.

BT has some realizations to address beginning with his own mistake of signing Brouwer and now having to rid us of him. Another coaching decision and trading our highest ever pick in Bennett for something much better. These are the main areas of concern IMO to have a better team next season.

38 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I believe you will see a Coaching review in the offseason but I don't think they will fire GG.

Evander Kane is a douchebag and you shouldn't want this guy on our team. Bennett outside of not lighting it up is doing lots of other things well.

I think you would have a delicate situation on your hands with trading Giordano who is still by far the best defenseman we have now not to mention a well respected Captain.

Brodie is frustrating everyone I'm sure but it may not be the right time to trade him either.

This team could be on the cusp of becoming very good with a few players out of the way and one smart trade for a good RW (not even a top line RW). Like TD said we need to get the right players in the mix playing in the right places. Should BT be able to trade Brouwer and Stone in the offseason we would have a good start. Stajan is done.

I honestly think our top line RW is already here in Tkachuk.

Bennett IMO would be worth a try with Backlund and Frolik before being given up on. (if they are ready to give up on Bennett this is where Hoffman OTT could be a fit)

Ferland should be confident enough now to help others and putting him with Jankowski is worth a go, now here is where it gets tricky, do you drop Frolik down with them or try someone like Spenser Foo ? If it were me I would go with Foo initially. (I see this 3rd line RW as a position BT could be addressing)

I think we will have some real good choices for our 4th line next season.

To give you my honest opinion I would trade Bennett plus to land Hoffman now because it give us a proven scorer that could be supported by two strong all-round forwards in Backlund and Frolik. I don't know what the plus is but maybe it is Stone. We start to look better.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk

Hoffman, Backlund, Frolik

Ferland, Jankowski, Lazar ( for now I like him better than Hathaway) or maybe have a look at Foo.

Lomberg, Stajan, Hathaway

Giordano, Hamilton

Brodie, Hamonic

Kulak, Andersson

Smith

I like most of this but if we could trade for Mark Stone RW instead of Hoffman that would be a lot better. :)

What would they want for him?  Brodie, Gillies, Brouwer (if we eat some salary) I wish , Maybe 1 of our D prospects (Andersson) , Draft pick?  Really depends on their needs.

I would not give up on Bennett just yet.

Also Foo should be given a few games to see what he can do.

Who ever they trade for I hope it's a RW

Archived