So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

37 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Betcha ferland gets 15-20 this season, bennett gets 20 at least, johnny gets a few more, mony gets a couple more, maybe tkachuk gets 20(pretty reasonable), and I would assume lazar pops a few even on the 4th line. I dont know if we need a goal scorer that bad, we only had 2 twenty goal scorers last season, and we should have at least 5 this coming season if everyone turns it around. A few more goals from all the top guys and we have gone up a bunch in goals scored at 5 v 5 hopefully.

So everyone is going to turn it around and no one will struggle is that right? 

Possible but extremely Unlikely. What is far more likely is the increased offence from guys like Bennett comes at the expense of others.  I do expect it to get better but again they were bottom 10 in 5on5 last year and scored a measly two goals in the playoffs 5on5. I think it's overly optimistic to think the same group can make that much improvement. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cross16 said:

It would but this organizations best chance of fielding a team capable of winning a cup lies in the next 2 seasons and they've already made the decision to go for it. Why leave such a gaping hole during your best window?

it would piss me off no question but they've already made the decision. 

They have definitely decided to go for it. All moves are pointing to that as are all the rumours that never came through.

I wonder is it the Arena?

Is it the owners putting pressure?

Is it BT feeling some pressure to improve now?

We all know the Flames Owners always set a goal to make the playoffs.. this is different..

6 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

They have definitely decided to go for it. All moves are pointing to that as are all the rumours that never came through.

We all know the Flames Owners always set a goal to make the playoffs.. this is different..

I think its D.. all of the above

My personal theory is this is why it took BT so long so re-sign.  He has a plan for this team to grow and be successful year after year . Ownership wanted results now

The compromise they could all live with was to go for it now,  giving up little to none of the prospects and future progression in the pipleline

he's basically to date only gambled unkown picks , aside from Hickey and Kanzig .. who likely would never have graduated .

He fought and won to keep a top D prospect out of the Hamonic trade for example

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It would but this organizations best chance of fielding a team capable of winning a cup lies in the next 2 seasons and they've already made the decision to go for it. Why leave such a gaping hole during your best window?

it would piss me off no question but they've already made the decision. 

I think you are making way to much out of this gapping hole nonsense, that is like saying one player makes the whole difference which is wrong. There is no doubt GG has to find some good chemistry amongst the lines but there should be some improved fire power just from internal maturity. My first observation would be from the backend where hopefully Hamonic helps get Brodie back on track offensively. Giordano worked wonders with Hamilton and that should continue to improve. We definitely need the right forwards together to achieve the desired improvement but I think it is possible.

15 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I think the balance of power in the west has a lot to do with it. Arizona, Van and Vegas are in your division and will not be very good this year and likely not next either. SJ is patching things together but getting older and while Edm is on the rise they have some depth issues so Ana is your main contender. Chicago getting older too and Minny had to strip down a bit with the cap. 

So if you are looking at the path in the west it's not hard to see your name in the mix. 

Just now, cross16 said:

I think the balance of power in the west has a lot to do with it. Arizona, Van and Vegas are in your division and will not be very good this year and likely not next either. SJ is patching things together but getting older and while Edm is on the rise they have some depth issues so Ana is your main contender. Chicago getting older too and Minny had to strip down a bit with the cap. 

So if you are looking at the path in the west it's not hard to see your name in the mix. 

I think all of these situations are factors and with our own team the prospect gap is likely 2 years away so why not bring in some quality for positions of need to give it a go. Anyway you look at it the ride will be good for our young core.

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Dallas got a little bit scarier this off season too

very true, I even speculate that Anaheim is now not quite as good as last year ..but still a force..   its intriguing that Edmonton has done literally nothing to improve, id even say by losing Eberle they got worse, especially when you consider hes been a big thorn in our side his whole time there (actually hes only scored more goals against Vancouver(16) in his career than Calgary (14)  ) 

Just now, phoenix66 said:

Dallas got a little bit scarier this off season too

very true, I even speculate that Anaheim is now not quite as good as last year ..but still a force..   its intriguing that Edmonton has done literally nothing to improve, id even say by losing Eberle they got worse, especially when you consider hes been a big thorn in our side his whole time there (actually hes only scored more goals against Vancouver(16) in his career than Calgary (14)  ) 

Edmonton is no different than ourselves, all they have to do is continue to get better with maturity and experience internally. Eberle as I understand was a cancer there so I don't think he will be missed. I wouldn't be taking EDM lightly at all.

8 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Edmonton is no different than ourselves, all they have to do is continue to get better with maturity and experience internally. Eberle as I understand was a cancer there so I don't think he will be missed. I wouldn't be taking EDM lightly at all.

as long as they have that forward core you can never take them lightly , but their defense is a tire fire and their weakness. Anaheim exposed it, we now have a better D than Anaheim

Our only real roadblocks to the Finals are Anaheim and Nashville .. theres almost no reason for us not to win at least the Division next season 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Maybe. But imo their defence is still pretty poor. Certainly not good enough to contend. 

Very true,., but enough to get back into the playoffs , question is , at whos expense?  unless Nashville improves their regular season play they could be the next member of the Finals to Non Playoff Club,,making our path even easier :)

22 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

as long as they have that forward core you can never take them lightly , but their defense is a tire fire and their weakness. Anaheim exposed it, we now have a better D than Anaheim

Our only real roadblocks to the Finals are Anaheim and Nashville .. theres almost no reason for us not to win at least the Division next season 

Very true,., but enough to get back into the playoffs , question is , at whos expense?  unless Nashville improves their regular season play they could be the next member of the Finals to Non Playoff Club,,making our path even easier :)

I will refrain from getting to far ahead of ourselves.

8 hours ago, kehatch said:

Still need a depth RW. With Sharp gone Hemsky might be worth a look if he is healthy. We can't afford Marleau/Radulov and I prefer Hemsky to Iginla/Doan/Jagr.

I would rather use Ferland than ever consider bringing Hemsky here.

10 hours ago, kehatch said:

Still need a depth RW. With Sharp gone Hemsky might be worth a look if he is healthy. We can't afford Marleau/Radulov and I prefer Hemsky to Iginla/Doan/Jagr.

Maybe they could develop some chemistry. You never know for sure until you try it. I kind of think that Hemsky is a tool and would rather pass. At this point, I think we have to use an existing player on the RW unless we swing a trade over the summer. 

I would love BT to sign Jagr. From a business standpoint, can you imagine how many jerseys they'd sell? He also could be a good mentor or the young guys, I've heard the stories of him working out at the rink all night. However, unfortunately CGY isn't exactly a hotspot for UFA's he may not wanna sign here.

Big signing of the day? You guessed it Luke Gazdic, 1 year, two way deal. Probably doesn't see a lick of ice time with the Flames.

After seeing what the Leafs gave Marleau (3x$6.25m) we were probably out of that race pretty quick.

26 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Big signing of the day? You guessed it Luke Gazdic, 1 year, two way deal. Probably doesn't see a lick of ice time with the Flames.

Not exactly who I hoped for, or even remotely expected the Flames to sign today...   

But if he ever did see the ice against a couple of teams that have habits like spending 60 minutes trying to hack and whack Gaudreau and gave a severe beating to one of a couple of players that I can think of, I would get a Gazdic jersey just to commemorate the occasion...

For that matter, if he were to beat on any Oiler for any reason, or even no reason other than just because they're an Oiler, I'll buy a Gazdic jersey to wear when I happen to be in Edmonton....

Well now that most of the dust has settled and the big names are signed, there is one player left that I would really like that I think would really fit this team and that's Jussi Jokinen.

Really versatile forward can play any forward position, solid at both ends of the ice, can play up and down the lineup, good at shootouts.

I wouldn't mind Vanek in the right circumstances, the guy is skilled and great on the PP.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Well now that most of the dust has settled and the big names are signed, there is one player left that I would really like that I think would really fit this team and that's Jussi Jokinen.

Really versatile forward can play any forward position, solid at both ends of the ice, can play up and down the lineup, good at shootouts.

I wouldn't mind Vanek in the right circumstances, the guy is skilled and great on the PP.

I would give Jokinen a shot. No to Vanek for me. Don't like his compete level. Yakupov on a PTO might be worth a shot. I would think k about Hemsky. 

Doan, Iginla, and Jagr are all options. I might think about Jagr. But I probably stay away from all of them, at least until after camp. We can always pick up a winger at the deadline if we need one. 

29 minutes ago, cross16 said:

As long as Gazdic never sees NHL ice I am fine with that signing. 

Me too. But I won't be shocked to see him as the 13 forward and brought out for games where "more toughness is needed". At least to start the season. 

10 hours ago, kehatch said:

I would give Jokinen a shot. No to Vanek for me. Don't like his compete level. Yakupov on a PTO might be worth a shot. I would think k about Hemsky. 

Doan, Iginla, and Jagr are all options. I might think about Jagr. But I probably stay away from all of them, at least until after camp. We can always pick up a winger at the deadline if we need one. 

Jokinen caught my eye as well. Vanek I think on the right contract could be motivated.

TO is going to have to move JVR and / or Bozak after the Marleau signing ,  probably wont like the asking price though.

I still think Jagr and Iggy could be good budget additions.. Hemsky and Doan I dont think have anything left in the tank however .

9 hours ago, kehatch said:

I think we should run with Ferland on RW rather than try to fill a hole with any of these options.

Archived