So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

But about a RHS C, it's almost certainly going to have to come via a trade.  

Someone will say it too....

Mike Cammalleri is now a FA....

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Appears all of this to be the case. I just thought given our lack of RHSD in our pipeline they could have put him in the AHL at least to see if his game improved.

Maybe, but if you are 24 and still have the same issues you had at 17/18 then I would suggest your future is basically set. I thought maybe he'd give them depth at the AHL but as an NHLer its a huge longshot. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Glad Bouma is gone. I grew very tired of him over the last couple seasons. I get they could just bury him but with all the stuff you hear, late to practice, hungover, lacklustre play on the ice, better to just get him out of the organization.

Murphy isn't a shock either. He is not an NHL dman and is a very cheap buyout because of his age. Carolina has wanted to move him for a while so I think this was probably necessary in order to get Lack deal done for so cheap. 

I get the Bouma buyout, but why not just wait and put Murphy on waivers on send him down, that way you don't have any cap repercussions.

Jimmy Hayes and Jussi Jokinen were also put on waivers to be bought out. I think Jokinen could be a good signing, good defensively can chip in some extra offense, I think he could fit in well with either Backlund or Bennett. Jokinen plays all 3 forward positions. Hayes is a pure reclamation project, good size and some skill, but not much else, but a league minimum contract might be worth the risk.

Just now, JTech780 said:

I get the Bouma buyout, but why not just wait and put Murphy on waivers on send him down, that way you don't have any cap repercussions.

Probably don't want to spend a contract on a player they don't want/have plans for. 

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Glad Bouma is gone. I grew very tired of him over the last couple seasons. I get they could just bury him but with all the stuff you hear, late to practice, hungover, lacklustre play on the ice, better to just get him out of the organization.

Murphy isn't a shock either. He is not an NHL dman and is a very cheap buyout because of his age. Carolina has wanted to move him for a while so I think this was probably necessary in order to get Lack deal done for so cheap. 

I know CAR was eager to get rid of him, and the fans seem to think he's a boat anchor, but why bother buying him out with one year remaining?  Couldn't you just waive him and send him to Stockton/Kansas City?  100% cap savings.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I know CAR was eager to get rid of him, and the fans seem to think he's a boat anchor, but why bother buying him out with one year remaining?  Couldn't you just waive him and send him to Stockton/Kansas City?  100% cap savings.

Cost you a roster spot, contract spot and ice time away from players you actually want to develop

Dead cap hit is very small and probably was necessary to save even more on Lack. i doubt Carolina retains salary unless you take Murphy so the savigns probably are still a net benefit for the Flames. 

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

With these buyouts I wonder if Treliving has something big up his sleeve. We have the cap space to make something happen.

Agreed. Typically you don't buy players out unless they are a bad influence or you need the cap space. 

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

... He's LHS though.  Can't believe he is still in the NHL.

But Devante Smith Pelly bought out.  Wow.  I'm interested.  Thought he had some promise. 

My bad. Don't know how I forgot he was a LH shot and not a Righty

Call me confused!

First of all, I don't like the Bouma buyout! You could just send him down on waivers and replace him with a young guy from the farm. I really don't like that we have his buyout salary on the cap in 18/19.

And they buy out Murphy as well after we just acquired him?! Yesterday, I was somewhat ok with the trade, but now I don't get it.  Basically we did Carolina two favors while downgrading a late pick. When I look at it now, we should have a better pick like at least a 3rd coming our way to take care of Carolina's problems! Not a good deal at all, unless Lack really finds his groove again.

I hope that in the coming days we will see moves that get us a clearer view of Tre's plan.

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Someone will say it too....

Mike Cammalleri is now a FA....

Maybe, but if you are 24 and still have the same issues you had at 17/18 then I would suggest your future is basically set. I thought maybe he'd give them depth at the AHL but as an NHLer its a huge longshot. 

I am actually thinking Williams or Cammalleri would be good choices if indeed they are going for anyone for our top line. This would allow for the other 3 lines to be loaded with the right combinations.

I have no issues with Bouma or this Murphy (didn't really know a lot about him) being gone. I would still like to see a McNabb and Andersson pairing for our 3rd one.

29 minutes ago, manu11 said:

Call me confused!

First of all, I don't like the Bouma buyout! You could just send him down on waivers and replace him with a young guy from the farm. I really don't like that we have his buyout salary on the cap in 18/19.

And they buy out Murphy as well after we just acquired him?! Yesterday, I was somewhat ok with the trade, but now I don't get it.  Basically we did Carolina two favors while downgrading a late pick. When I look at it now, we should have a better pick like at least a 3rd coming our way to take care of Carolina's problems! Not a good deal at all, unless Lack really finds his groove again.

I hope that in the coming days we will see moves that get us a clearer view of Tre's plan.

The Murphy buyout was a financial move. It got us Lack at a reduced salary while saving the Flames owners as much money as possible. 

The Bouma buyout is a cap move. Clearly Treliving plans on being busy tomorrow and wants as much cap space as possible. 

24 minutes ago, kehatch said:

The Murphy buyout was a financial move. It got us Lack at a reduced salary while saving the Flames owners as much money as possible. 

The Bouma buyout is a cap move. Clearly Treliving plans on being busy tomorrow and wants as much cap space as possible. 

Yeah, I have a different view on the Lack Trade. While we needed a backup ( we could just sign a FA), I think the gun was pointed more to CAR as they tried to get rid of a potential three headed monster in goal. The retained salary actually helps them getting closer to the cap floor, while loosing the contract spot! On top of that they dropped Murphy to us, so I really think we should have gotten something else, like a draft pick going our way. That would have been a solid move!

Although my opinion could change really quick, depending what Tre does next;)

1 minute ago, manu11 said:

Yeah, I have a different view on the Lack Trade. While we needed a backup ( we could just sign a FA), I think the gun was pointed more to CAR as they tried to get rid of a potential three headed monster in goal. The retained salary actually helps them getting closer to the cap floor, while loosing the contract spot! On top of that they dropped Murphy to us, so I really think we should have gotten something else, like a draft pick going our way. That would have been a solid move!

Although my opinion could change really quick, depending what Tre does next;)

The murphy part of the deal really isent a big deal and honestly it was a solid deal if lack can have anywhere near is vancouver numbers because it sounds liike carolina was being weird with him.

6 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

The murphy part of the deal really isent a big deal and honestly it was a solid deal if lack can have anywhere near is vancouver numbers because it sounds liike carolina was being weird with him.

I just feel that Treliving should have gotten something else for taking care of Carolina's problems. And it's not like Lack was any good in CAR.

Archived