So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

Just now, zima said:

I think when the Contract was talked about and I could be wrong heaven for bid but I think his wife is from here?

Could be he did mention family and friends in the area. BT saw an opportunity, talked to him and we did/do have a huge hole in our system for good RW talent. This is now changing and fast with adding Lazar, Foo and even Fischer. We also have Pribyl and Tuulola in the system for RW. Brouwer won't be the first player ever over paid so let's get the most out of him.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MAC331 said:

I agree with cross on this situation if Versteeg want term, let him sign with someone else. He isn't a real need but he is the type that provide us some versatility in our roster. Same goes for our top line RW spot, the ideal candidate is not out there right now so try some who will do a 1 year deal. Until we see what some of our younger players can really bring to the table don't over shoot the mark like BT did with Brouwer.

Trades like Hamilton and Hamonic seem expensive but really are not, you need these types with term and talent in order to build upon a solid growth plan. Otherwise you will be waiting a long time for every prospect to pan out for you, that is a bad plan.

agreed.. I'd give Versteeg 2yrs max regardless of how low the $ is

at this point, throw some money at a 1 yr vet .. Jagr, Sharp, Williams, Vrbata . A 1 year 1M show me to the likes of a Yakupov.. at this point I'm not convinced Iggy wouldn't bring enough to the table to benefit that a youngster can learn from  .. you can get him for a $1M deal   all at the expense of not resigning Chiasson 

All are low risk , High reward -- and easily buried if they don't work 

16 minutes ago, zima said:

I think when the Contract was talked about and I could be wrong heaven for bid but I think his wife is from here?

It was in the link i just posted earlier 

“My family is from Vancouver. My wife’s family is from just outside of Regina,” Brouwer started. “It’s kind of a great place in the middle where we can have family close. We’re a very tight-knit family.

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

at this point, throw some money at a 1 yr vet .. Jagr, Sharp, Williams, Vrbata . A 1 year 1M show me to the likes of a Yakupov.. at this point I'm not convinced Iggy wouldn't bring enough to the table to benefit that a youngster can learn from  .. you can get him for a $1M deal   all at the expense of not resigning Chiasson 

Agreed, I want a vet who is still top6 level on a one year deal, preferable a RW.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

With the talk of the Mc David extension and Draisitl, I think that we are lucky with Bennett taking a few extra years to develop. It helps maintain a salary structure that can keep us competitive. He'd want a bridge, but right now, if it takes him as long as Backlund, sure, we have a lesser player for awhile, but maybe we can extend him later for longer? 

But it might allow us to keep Backlund for longer. This salary structure in the NHL is getting out of hand again. I get the stars deserve the pay, as they fill the seats. Me, on the other hand, am not going to watch a game just for the stars. I'd prefer to have a competitive team than just a few stars and not compete, like the Iginla days. I'd have traded Iginla for 2-3 players that made us more competitive anyday of the week, to help us contend. The trick is, who would have gotten us there? That is the difficulty in making a deal. 

Right now, I'd rather have a deep team than one that has a major star on it. Crosby's contract is better for the cap now, because the salary cap went up, and he was once the highest paid. But if we have to sign guys to 10M+, then I think that just isn't gonna make us competitive.

No more Free Agents please!

I can't believe the kind of money being tossed around for McDavid's first contract, as high as 14M. I hope EDM does this and hoops themselves for years.

I hope they do extend Backlund at a decent contract we could still use him for a few years. Should be interesting to see what Bonino gets on the open market.

23 minutes ago, zima said:

That could be. It could also be that housing in Vancouver is so expensive that even hockey players making millions each year find it difficult to scratch the cash for a down payment on a 300 square foot condo...in Mission or New West. :lol:

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

If we could do Sharp and Versteeg on 1 year deals, do it if not walk away.

If we had McyD you would through the money at him he is going to bring them a cup unless we can contain them. To do that we need some more fire power up front I think our D is almost stacked now we have to hope and pray Smith can become Kypr 2.0. I see Versteeg a great asset and he loves the city and the team we gave him every opportunity to succeeded so I think he is worth a few buck. Im hoping Bennett will become a force in the scoring race and put Lazar with bennett and maybe Versteeg they are all versatile players.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

If we could do Sharp and Versteeg on 1 year deals, do it if not walk away.

Sharp Maybe .. Versteeg is not signing a one, hence why I said we can kiss him goodbye

People laugh at the Iggy idea.. but .. Chiasson was 12/12/24 in 81 games last year.. Iggy was 14/13/27 in 80(6 in the last 19 once he got away from Colorado)  and still in great shape, would bring more to the lineup than Chiasson .. youre definitely not taking a step back

If you can snag Jagr for a year ?  you jump all over that .  I think the key to that top line is a Vet, not a kid at this point .. if one earns his way up the chain ?  bonus

11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I can't believe the kind of money being tossed around for McDavid's first contract, as high as 14M. I hope EDM does this and hoops themselves for years.

I hope they do extend Backlund at a decent contract we could still use him for a few years. Should be interesting to see what Bonino gets on the open market.

It sounds pretty done.. 8 x $13.25

I get that , but the issue is now Leon..  he should be a $7 tops..but if you're his agent, is he almost $7M worse than McD?  I think theyre lucky to get out of there under 10 

which will put them in a model of churning the bottom half of the roster annually.. shiping out kids as they too expensive.. RNH 1st to go.. next wont be able to afford both Nurse and Klefbom... welcome to the world of salary cap with 2 elite players 

Just now, zima said:

If we had McyD you would through the money at him he is going to bring them a cup unless we can contain them. To do that we need some more fire power up front I think our D is almost stacked now we have to hope and pray Smith can become Kypr 2.0. I see Versteeg a great asset and he loves the city and the team we gave him every opportunity to succeeded so I think he is worth a few buck. Im hoping Bennett will become a force in the scoring race and put Lazar with bennett and maybe Versteeg they are all versatile players.

I don't think you pay him the most of any player in the NHL on his first contract but like I said if EDM does fantastic. They still have to surround him with a team, any team can shut down one player. I like the direction of the Flames right now.

Just now, phoenix66 said:

Sharp Maybe .. Versteeg is not signing a one, hence why I said we can kiss him goodbye

People laugh at the Iggy idea.. but .. Chiasson was 12/12/24 in 81 games last year.. Iggy was 14/13/27 in 80(6 in the last 19 once he got away from Colorado)  and still in great shape, would bring more to the lineup than Chiasson .. youre definitely not taking a step back

If you can snag Jagr for a year ?  you jump all over that .  I think the key to that top line is a Vet, not a kid at this point .. if one earns his way up the chain ?  bonus

You could be right with Versteeg some will say most of our RW talent is 2years away and even our LW prospects might not pan out in the depth department.

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

You could be right with Versteeg some will say most of our RW talent is 2years away and even our LW prospects might not pan out in the depth department.

yup.. and if you walk from both Versteeg and Chiasson ?  go get 2 of them .. Id put Doan in there , except I truly dont think he has anything left to give but leadership.. he plays tired now the last few times I watched him 

also .. great article a little insight to what Flames brass says away from the microphone where they are a little more diplomatic

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/06/28/the-flames-believe-they-can-contend-right-now/

For example :

When speaking with media at the draft about what he knew about the Flames, sixth round pick D’Artagnan Joly recounted what he was told by the club: “They’re looking to win a Cup in the next couple years.”

1 minute ago, zima said:

So I take it no one here would be interested in Duchene Do you think he is washed up or not worth the players we would have to give up?

Not worth the price, not sure there is really a fit for him here. 

The going rumor is that the Avalanche turned down a Hamonic and a 1st for Duchene at the draft. So to get Duchene we are probably talking Hamilton for him or Hamilton plus. I am not paying that price for Duchene.

Duchene is a C/LW, we have depth at both positions, so unless you are trading Hamilton to get Duchene and then trading one of Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, Gaudreau or Tkachuk to replace Hamilton I don't see the fit.

I hope BT remembers what Burke said about July 1 being the day the worst signings happen. If need be call him into Burke's office to remind him.

Sit tight. Waiting until later when UFAs are worried they might not have a job is when you get those low $/1 year deals like we did with Versteeg last year. You get a player dedicated to showing GMs what they missed out on & playing for a big payday next year.

We have an improved D, a better goalie & the young forwards hopefully improve. A 1 year budget RW with a chip on his shoulder beats overpaying for a name long term. Same with a 5/4 type D or 2. See who's left after some team gives Stone a $4 x 4 & get a very motivated player (or 2) for a year. More or less what I suggested for the b/u goalie.

We can always rent some team's overpayment from a few years back for the playoff push (good players but overpaid we can afford short term after the signing team has paid most of that contract).

12 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I hope BT remembers what Burke said about July 1 being the day the worst signings happen. If need be call him into Burke's office to remind him.

Sit tight. Waiting until later when UFAs are worried they might not have a job is when you get those low $/1 year deals like we did with Versteeg last year. You get a player dedicated to showing GMs what they missed out on & playing for a big payday next year.

We have an improved D, a better goalie & the young forwards hopefully improve. A 1 year budget RW with a chip on his shoulder beats overpaying for a name long term. Same with a 5/4 type D or 2. See who's left after some team gives Stone a $4 x 4 & get a very motivated player (or 2) for a year. More or less what I suggested for the b/u goalie.

We can always rent some team's overpayment from a few years back for the playoff push (good players but overpaid we can afford short term after the signing team has paid most of that contract).

I cant see anybody signing Marleau at his age to more  than 1 yr deals..maybe 2

Marleau has 27 goals last year 20 of which came 5v5. He can still fly. I would give him a long look. The fact that he would get a 35+ contract is a plus and a negative. With 35+ contracts we can try giving him a lower AAV, but load it with bonuses. He wants a 3 year deal, so if we gave him a 3 year deal with a $2m AAV or lower with bonuses and he retired after 2 years it would suck but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Just now, JTech780 said:

Marleau has 27 goals last year 20 of which came 5v5. He can still fly. I would give him a long look. The fact that he would get a 35+ contract is a plus and a negative. With 35+ contracts we can try giving him a lower AAV, but load it with bonuses. He wants a 3 year deal, so if we gave him a 3 year deal with a $2m AAV or lower with bonuses and he retired after 2 years it would suck but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I really hope we stay away.

I wouldn't do a 3 year deal on Marleau it's a hard stop at 2 for me but i Iike the player and like the fit so a 2 year deal around 4 with some bonuses I'm good with just not 3. 

Need to remember with needing to pay Backlund and Tkachuk in the next 2 years plus the questions in goal after 2 years I think locking up a 35 year old winger to a 3 year deal could be very detrimental to their cap. 

I hope they find a way to resign Versteeg at reasonable term and cap. Sounds like he'd take home town discount, he was one of our best players in the playoffs. Still curious to see who we get as a backup goalie, we need someone who can win some games because I don't trust Smith to stay healthy all year. Maybe BT finds a partner to trade Brouwer for a more cost effective option in return. I've been saying I'm willing to give Brouwer another year now that he's had time to adjust. Marleau is likely chasing the Cup so I don't see us being a prime destination. Id love Iggy back but that ship may have sailed...he's still quick but he's not fast anymore, I rather the Flames stick to their speed game. 

Archived