So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Maybe ask him if felt that way before you assume things. I doubt it fazed him at all.

if it didnt,  then we should just buy him out right now.

Yes he took it like a pro, and yes its part of the business, and no I doubt he holds a personal grudge to BT over it.. but it should motivate him or he's just not a competitor

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, phoenix66 said:

if it didnt,  then we should just buy him out right now.

Yes he took it like a pro, and yes its part of the business, and no I doubt he holds a personal grudge to BT over it.. but it should motivate him or he's just not a competitor

Yeah well some people don't need embarrassment in order to be motivated.

52 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

It's all speculation but he has been around the game for a long time. He was building that home before he ever contemplated signing here so irrelevant IMO.

He was building a summer home, and BT convinced him he should make it his permanent home.  

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Why do you bother posting that kind of response.  If you don't believe what I posted, then you should read about it.  I didn't make this up.

Then post the link that says it is a summer home. Summer homes in Calgary are quite rare, a home is a home and he was building the home before he even engaged talking to the Flames. Why do you bother responding to half the stuff you come up with here ?

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Then post the link that says it is a summer home. Summer homes in Calgary are quite rare, a home is a home and he was building the home before he even engaged talking to the Flames. Why do you bother responding to half the stuff you come up with here ?

it was actually both a summer and retirement home

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/brouwer-excited-to-call-calgary-home/c-888208

“We wanted to have grandparents and aunts and uncles in our kids’ lives. That’s why Calgary was really intriguing to us. We have a lot of friends here in Calgary. It’s an airport that flies anywhere in the world. It was a lot of things that crossed off our checklist. The people are great here. It’s what made us want to come here and build our summer home, and our retirement home."

maybe that was the problem .. he moved in and thought he was retired :) 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

it was actually both a summer and retirement home

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/brouwer-excited-to-call-calgary-home/c-888208

“We wanted to have grandparents and aunts and uncles in our kids’ lives. That’s why Calgary was really intriguing to us. We have a lot of friends here in Calgary. It’s an airport that flies anywhere in the world. It was a lot of things that crossed off our checklist. The people are great here. It’s what made us want to come here and build our summer home, and our retirement home."

maybe that was the problem .. he moved in and thought he was retired :) 

I knew it was all mental with him. Snap out of it Brouwer.

30 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I do not post here to offend people.  By the same token, you should respect other people's right to an opinion.  

Instead you say "Sure whatever".  

With the talk of the Mc David extension and Draisitl, I think that we are lucky with Bennett taking a few extra years to develop. It helps maintain a salary structure that can keep us competitive. He'd want a bridge, but right now, if it takes him as long as Backlund, sure, we have a lesser player for awhile, but maybe we can extend him later for longer? 

But it might allow us to keep Backlund for longer. This salary structure in the NHL is getting out of hand again. I get the stars deserve the pay, as they fill the seats. Me, on the other hand, am not going to watch a game just for the stars. I'd prefer to have a competitive team than just a few stars and not compete, like the Iginla days. I'd have traded Iginla for 2-3 players that made us more competitive anyday of the week, to help us contend. The trick is, who would have gotten us there? That is the difficulty in making a deal. 

Right now, I'd rather have a deep team than one that has a major star on it. Crosby's contract is better for the cap now, because the salary cap went up, and he was once the highest paid. But if we have to sign guys to 10M+, then I think that just isn't gonna make us competitive.

No more Free Agents please!

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I do not post here to offend people.  By the same token, you should respect other people's right to an opinion.  

Instead you say "Sure whatever".  

I am suppose to respect you correcting whether a player's home being built here effect anything. Take a hike.

57 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

No more Free Agents please!

The NHL has an unusual system in place. They have a cap to reduce salaries and provide teams with cost certainty. At the same time, players can become free agents thereby inflating costs. RFAs are given arbitration rights. These are a little incompatible which is why we have some unusual salary structures out there.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

A lot of players that can afford it build a house that could be called a summer home (as in off season) or a retirement home (because it's where he & his family enjoy living). Given their druthers they'd probably prefer to play for the team based closest rather than maintain 2 places thousands of miles apart.

Summer homes in Calgary might indeed be rare but exist because not every mindset is the same.

But the key is what city they enjoy. I don't presume to know why BC born Brouwer picked Calgary to build a home as his pro career was mostly spent in Chicago & Washington but for some reason he wanted to live in Calgary during the off season (aka summer) so built a home. Thomas Steen used to have an off season home in his native Sweden but built his permanent home in Winnipeg. A lot of retired Flyers got US citizen papers & still live in Philly (including 1s that finished their careers elsewhere).

BTW, if you don't want people to respond to the posts you make resonding to theirs maybe just resist responding in the 1st place. That way they don't need to reply to clarify what you didn't grasp the 1st time.

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

The NHL has an unusual system in place. They have a cap to reduce salaries and provide teams with cost certainty. At the same time, players can become free agents thereby inflating costs. RFAs are given arbitration rights. These are a little incompatible which is why we have some unusual salary structures out there.

We've had two years in a row where we over-payed for FA... Frolik is a bit more value for the buck than Brouwer. Brouwer could bite us in the checking from behind... Frolik has helped push us forward, while Brouwer seems to be a space filler. We need a bit more, but I think we gotta stay clear of free agents from now on. Or we wait until all of the frenzy has died down...

Drafting is key now... Hope our prospects can start to fill some voids.

Just now, robrob74 said:

We've had two years in a row where we over-payed for FA... Frolik is a bit more value for the buck than Brouwer. Brouwer could bite us in the checking from behind... Frolik has helped push us forward, while Brouwer seems to be a space filler. We need a bit more, but I think we gotta stay clear of free agents from now on. Or we wait until all of the frenzy has died down...

Drafting is key now... Hope our prospects can start to fill some voids.

I totally agree. I am not too critical of the Hamonic deal as it is difficult to get such solid blue-liners like him. Of course, it remains to be seen what happens with our top 4. 

I must admit that when we signed Brouwer last year, I was pretty excited about the deal. I was kind of dumbfounded when he underperformed so badly. Having said that, the entire team had an unusual experience last year. Craig Conroy was talking on CFR the other day and said he was worried about the attitude of players at the beginning of the year. They were too cocky. This year, he feels far more confident because they were angry after the 4-0 exit.

Just now, Cowtownguy said:

I totally agree. I am not too critical of the Hamonic deal as it is difficult to get such solid blue-liners like him. Of course, it remains to be seen what happens with our top 4. 

I must admit that when we signed Brouwer last year, I was pretty excited about the deal. I was kind of dumbfounded when he underperformed so badly. Having said that, the entire team had an unusual experience last year. Craig Conroy was talking on CFR the other day and said he was worried about the attitude of players at the beginning of the year. They were too cocky. This year, he feels far more confident because they were angry after the 4-0 exit.

If Brouwer was signed for 1M less, is that closer to his value? Would he have signed that to play in Calgary? Maybe that's why MAC is so irate right now, thinking, since he was building a home here already, Brouwer may have signed for less? 

I guess we don't know who else was making offers last year?

If anything, I think Brouwer probably keeps things in perspective in the dressing room. It's hard to manage young players egos and the fact Brouwer and Versteeg have been there before, helps. It's easier to look up to those guys and listen to what it takes to win. If winning is what is most important, then egos have to go.

15 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

A lot of players that can afford it build a house that could be called a summer home (as in off season) or a retirement home (because it's where he & his family enjoy living). Given their druthers they'd probably prefer to play for the team based closest rather than maintain 2 places thousands of miles apart.

Summer homes in Calgary might indeed be rare but exist because not every mindset is the same.

But the key is what city they enjoy. I don't presume to know why BC born Brouwer picked Calgary to build a home as his pro career was mostly spent in Chicago & Washington but for some reason he wanted to live in Calgary during the off season (aka summer) so built a home. Thomas Steen used to have an off season home in his native Sweden but built his permanent home in Winnipeg. A lot of retired Flyers got US citizen papers & still live in Philly (including 1s that finished their careers elsewhere).

BTW, if you don't want people to respond to the posts you make resonding to theirs maybe just resist responding in the 1st place. That way they don't need to reply to clarify what you didn't grasp the 1st time.

Oh I grasped it and it really doesn't matter. Brouwer is signed for 3 more seasons at a million more than he is worth. The Flames will live with him so hopefully GG can get the max out of him.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

If Brouwer was signed for 1M less, is that closer to his value? Would he have signed that to play in Calgary? Maybe that's why MAC is so irate right now, thinking, since he was building a home here already, Brouwer may have signed for less? 

I guess we don't know who else was making offers last year?

If anything, I think Brouwer probably keeps things in perspective in the dressing room. It's hard to manage young players egos and the fact Brouwer and Versteeg have been there before, helps. It's easier to look up to those guys and listen to what it takes to win. If winning is what is most important, then egos have to go.

Brouwer is a character guy, definitely over paid for what he gave us in effort last season. I would say BT over shot the need for big bodies in both Brouwer and Chiasson for our RW. He is here and whatever other attributes he can provide we should hoping they make our team better. I make no apologizes for my opposition to posts or remarks that stick him on the 4th line like its purgatory for a bad season.

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Oh I grasped it and it really doesn't matter. Brouwer is signed for 3 more seasons at a million more than he is worth. The Flames will live with him so hopefully GG can get the max out of him.

Bottom line is Free Agency = overpayment . I would think there were more than us in on him . I don't think anyone has ever been signed early in UFA who was  deemed a steal.

We will likely lose Versteeg now too.. cuz with presumably 12 teams in on him , he'll likely get about a 4 year deal at around 3+M. Unless its outrageous, he wont go for the highest $  but having already almost played in Europe, term will talk for him .. and because his preference is Calgary , some team will likely sway him with a 4 year term..which I would hope BT will have to walk from . So instead we will sign someone else for too much term and $ in his place

Its the price thats paid for not giving up prospects and picks

11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't presume to know why BC born Brouwer picked Calgary to build a home as his pro career was mostly spent in Chicago & Washington but for some reason he wanted to live in Calgary during the off season

I think when the Contract was talked about and I could be wrong heaven for bid but I think his wife is from here?

Just now, phoenix66 said:

Bottom line is Free Agency = overpayment . I would think there were more than us in on him . I don't think anyone has ever been signed early in UFA who was  deemed a steal.

We will likely lose Versteeg now too.. cuz with presumably 12 teams in on him , he'll likely get about a 4 year deal at around 3+M. Unless its outrageous, he wont go for the highest $  but having already almost played in Europe, term will talk for him .. and because his preference is Calgary , some team will likely sway him with a 4 year term..which I would hope BT will have to walk from . So instead we will sign someone else for too much term and $ in his place

Its the price thats paid for not giving up prospects and picks

I agree with cross on this situation if Versteeg want term, let him sign with someone else. He isn't a real need but he is the type that provide us some versatility in our roster. Same goes for our top line RW spot, the ideal candidate is not out there right now so try some who will do a 1 year deal. Until we see what some of our younger players can really bring to the table don't over shoot the mark like BT did with Brouwer.

Trades like Hamilton and Hamonic seem expensive but really are not, you need these types with term and talent in order to build upon a solid growth plan. Otherwise you will be waiting a long time for every prospect to pan out for you, that is a bad plan.

Archived