So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

31 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Sure would like to know where we are in negotiations with Spencer Foo. Not the biggest buy, but nice to have a RHS RW in the system.

He was going to talk with his agent in EDM today or tomorrow.  Supposedly one team offered him a roster spot right away.  I think only Vegas would do that.  Considering they have too many players as it stands, I can't imagine that to be true. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He was going to talk with his agent in EDM today or tomorrow.  Supposedly one team offered him a roster spot right away.  I think only Vegas would do that.  Considering they have too many players as it stands, I can't imagine that to be true. 

That sounds logical, but not very promising.

52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Could be us if we are not bringing back Versteeg

29 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Could be us if we are not bringing back Versteeg

I doubt we have ever said a spot is guaranteed.  That's quite a promise.  Panarin got one.  Vesey got one.  Jultz got one.  Calligula got one.  Hayes got one.  We were in on every one of those except Vesey.  

Just now, travel_dude said:

I doubt we have ever said a spot is guaranteed.  That's quite a promise.  Panarin got one.  Vesey got one.  Jultz got one.  Calligula got one.  Hayes got one.  We were in on every one of those except Vesey.  

We as in you and BT. LOL Lighten up t_d

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Some interesting names not qualified.

Grigorenko

Wiercioch

Nesterov

Folin

Good catch TD. It is a good reminder that a lot of teams struggle to develop great talent (not just the greasers). I am kind of surprised that Grigorenko did not receive an offer. His skating needed a lot of work, but he was a top 10/15? pick. Then again, I don't understand a lot of things happening with that club. Sakic was an excellent player. I am not yet convinced that he makes for a great GM.

A GM could build an amazing NHL club if he generated an effective rehabilitation program (think Manchurian Candidate...ha!) and simply took on all of the league rejects. You could have an entire team made up of round 1 picks.

41 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Good catch TD. It is a good reminder that a lot of teams struggle to develop great talent (not just the greasers). I am kind of surprised that Grigorenko did not receive an offer. His skating needed a lot of work, but he was a top 10/15? pick. Then again, I don't understand a lot of things happening with that club. Sakic was an excellent player. I am not yet convinced that he makes for a great GM.

A GM could build an amazing NHL club if he generated an effective rehabilitation program (think Manchurian Candidate...ha!) and simply took on all of the league rejects. You could have an entire team made up of round 1 picks.

IIRC, he was available to Buffalo in the year of Janko.  We seem to be collecting 1st rounders from other teams, so maybe there is interest.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

IIRC, he was available to Buffalo in the year of Janko.  We seem to be collecting 1st rounders from other teams, so maybe there is interest.

Somewhere , as these 1st rounders flounder, Feaster and Weisbrod are saying "I told you so"  about Janko...

that's ok .. they're allowed a win :)

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

For what it's worth - 

@TSNRyanRishaug @DarrenDreger #Oilers told @spencerfoo he'd go straight to Bakersfield...leaning towards #Flames. Decision by end of day

The quote was on Twitter and I can't verify it.  Just adding it as there is no other mention of it.

Interesting. I cant see the flames guranteeing him a spot, but who knows.

10 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Interesting. I cant see the flames guranteeing him a spot, but who knows.

I guess if Edmonton was paying for a ticket straight to the AHL, while the Flames are saying, there is a good opportunity/chance to play in Calgary, it's at least an opportunity, and the onus is still on the player to make it. 

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I guess if Edmonton was paying for a ticket straight to the AHL, while the Flames are saying, there is a good opportunity/chance to play in Calgary, it's at least an opportunity, and the onus is still on the player to make it. 

It's not a true source, so take it for what it's worth.  The only thing guaranteed is that he will make a decision.  I just found it interesting.

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

That actually makes sense. I didnt think of it that way, but the flames are probably saying the spot is there for the taking we will see how camp goes where as the oilers are saying youre going straight to the AAA no camp. If chia pet was doing that, it would only cememt how crappy of a GM I think he is. But TD said its not a true source so I guess we will see at a later time. 

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Fairly positive that quote is fake. Ryan Rishaug hasn't tweeted yet today according to his verified account. 

I get that.  It wasn't a quote by Ryan, it was a tweet to Ryan.

The subtext to it was that he was talking to Johnny about the team, and he was doing a sell job.  About as reliable as the friend of Gaudreau saying he wasn't signing with the Flames.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I get that.  It wasn't a quote by Ryan, it was a tweet to Ryan.

The subtext to it was that he was talking to Johnny about the team, and he was doing a sell job.  About as reliable as the friend of Gaudreau saying he wasn't signing with the Flames.

I hope Foo selects the Flames, let's see what he brings to the table. He plays a position we need more of RW.

Positive if for no other reason it shows that at least free agents at this level will consider and choose the Flames. Flames are going to need to be very active in this space to replace/offset the depth they are going to lose with the Hamonic and Smith trades. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Positive if for no other reason it shows that at least free agents at this level will consider and choose the Flames. Flames are going to need to be very active in this space to replace/offset the depth they are going to lose with the Hamonic and Smith trades. 

Spenser Foo is a good way to start we hope, eh.

Archived