So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I have been saying this for years, but no team with Ovechkin on it will ever win the Cup. He plays the game for himself, he isn't a team guy. I wouldn't want him here if all it took was send Stajan the other way. Hard pass.

Ovechkin didn't make much of an impact in game 7 that I could see. He grumbled a lot...

2 hours ago, nevermissashift said:

I still would still like to see some big, tenacious, skilled, scoring, play making, addition/s. Nothing against Oshie.

Johnny for somebody...? I know there will be some who hate that comment.

You want a tenacious winger?  Make a deal with NJ for Hall.  He plays well with JH.  Getting to play the Oilers 5 times a year?  Unstoppable.

Actually, Hall might be a better fit for Bennett.  

Just kidding.  I think he could do better here than in Jersey, but I don't know that you could ever get the Oiler stink off him.  He had it too easy for too long there.  

I wonder if we can move Stajan/Bouma for good prospects with teams that are on the bubble for the SC and are managing their Cap well?

I look at someone like Kyrou with St. Loo (2nd rd #35 oa).

My line of thinking is that we don't have great trade bait, so what if we used what we do have to get better in the prospect pool.

I am honestly not great at interpreting prospect trade values, so let that be known.

Would St Loo be interested in a player like Bouma to upgrade Upshall, and they get a one yr "show me" from him?

I'm not suggesting straight across, but maybe I am, I just don't know values.

Thoughts?

Maybe we should pick up Nail Yakupov. He would be really cheap right winger. And, before your head blows up, I was totally joking. Not only is he terrible, he also brings with him a terrible attitude, and doesn't work well with others. He is a trifecta of suck.

4 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Maybe we should pick up Nail Yakupov. He would be really cheap right winger. And, before your head blows up, I was totally joking. Not only is he terrible, he also brings with him a terrible attitude, and doesn't work well with others. He is a trifecta of suck.

Okay. Well with that out of the way, here's what I can tell you about Kyrou based on lots of viewing.

Excellent 200' player as a RW/C. Likely a 3C at peak.

Very good skater and passer, while only 6', plays a pretty tenacious game, effective in all 3 zones due to his speed.

He lacks a shot because his release is below par, needs to work on that.

The more I think of Janxy coming in, the more I think of Bennett's lack of linemates.

Kyrou is prolly 2-3 yrs out, but imho we HAVE to get wingers in place instead of recycling the UFA list constantly.

We need a solid plan, like right now. I can see Klimchuk graduating, but no other winger.

We've gotta get on it. Nothing against Chiasson or Versteeg, but we need a plan to get better that isn't constant cheap FA scraps.

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Okay. Well with that out of the way, here's what I can tell you about Kyrou based on lots of viewing.

Very good skater and passer, while only 6', plays a pretty tenacious game, effective in all 3 zones due to his speed.

The more I think of Janxy coming in, the more I think of Bennett's lack of linemates.

Kyrou is prolly 2-3 yrs out, but imho we HAVE to get wingers in place instead of recycling the UFA list constantly.

We need a solid plan, like right now. I can see Klimchuk graduating, but no other winger.

We've gotta get on it. Nothing against Chiasson or Versteeg, but we need a plan to get better that isn't constant cheap FA scraps.

Nothing wrong with that plan at all IMO. Also moving out Stajan and Bouma opens up a few spots for the good prospects we do have that may be worth trying out next season. Jankowski should be knocking at the door along with Klimchuk, maybe even Mangiapane. Pribyl didn't really get it going so he is likely staring at another season in Stockton.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I wonder if we can move Stajan/Bouma for good prospects with teams that are on the bubble for the SC and are managing their Cap well?

My line of thinking is that we don't have great trade bait, so what if we used what we do have to get better in the prospect pool.

I am honestly not great at interpreting prospect trade values, so let that be known.

Would St Loo be interested in a player like Bouma to upgrade Upshall, and they get a one yr "show me" from him?

Thoughts?

Im a big Kyrou fan but I can't see Stajan or Bouma getting any return. I think if you want to lose Bouma you will need to buy him out, which I would do personally, and stajan maybe gets lost for nothing in the expansion draft. I don't think think either has any trade value. 

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Thoughts?

People will disagree with this but I think the only way to get some mileage out of Bouma is to play him with Backlund and Frolik. The rest will be up to him between the ears. I think we are dealing with a player that is afraid of getting hurt again. If this persists or is the thinking of management now BT likely buys him out or buries him for a year.

We can sit here and hope LV takes one of Stajan or Brouwer off our hands but I don't know that either is a big concern for management. BT didn't give Brouwer that contract to get rid of him after one lacklustre season. I still believe when the expansion smoke clears Brouwer is a Flame. Stajan I hope he can find a new home because I would like to see Jankowski on the team this coming season.

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

A trade I would make today would be Chiasson RW to MON for Beaulieu LSD, throw in Poirier because he needs a change. Versteeg I would seriously consider bringing back only because you can slot him in anywhere and he helps. Chiasson or Brouwer really becomes the choice of two very similar players so guess who remains. Brouwer

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

People will disagree with this but I think the only way to get some mileage out of Bouma is to play him with Backlund and Frolik. The rest will be up to him between the ears. I think we are dealing with a player that is afraid of getting hurt again. If this persists or is the thinking of management now BT likely buys him out or buries him for a year.

We can sit here and hope LV takes one of Stajan or Brouwer off our hands but I don't know that either is a big concern for management. BT didn't give Brouwer that contract to get rid of him after one lacklustre season. I still believe when the expansion smoke clears Brouwer is a Flame. Stajan I hope he can find a new home because I would like to see Jankowski on the team this coming season.

I think you see Bouma getting the Bollig treatment out of camp, or at least the 14th forward spot.  I got the feeling that the coach lost faith in him, but didn't have enough LW options to replkace him.  Freddie and Lazar were the extra forwards we had going into the playoffs, so neither of those were ideal.  Hathaway was also the other most used extra player, and again a RHS.

Stajan may be the guy selected, or it could be a fringe player like Shinkaruk or Kulak.  I think it's more likely that they select a young player, as they want to compete more in the future than right away.  

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

A trade I would make today would be Chiasson RW to MON for Beaulieu LSD, throw in Poirier because he needs a change. Versteeg I would seriously consider bringing back only because you can slot him in anywhere and he helps. Chiasson or Brouwer really becomes the choice of two very similar players so guess who remains. Brouwer

Trade a pending RFA with arbitration rights for a pending RFA that you need to protect prior to the draft?  Maybe after the draft, but I doubt there is much value for Chaisson then.  Each team would need to make a qualifying offer.  I get a little mixed up on the dates and the sequence of events, but I think Chaisson can talk to teams prior to July 1st if he isn't signed (or claimed).  Montreal could get him for nothing I think.  

59 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think you see Bouma getting the Bollig treatment out of camp, or at least the 14th forward spot.  I got the feeling that the coach lost faith in him, but didn't have enough LW options to replkace him.  Freddie and Lazar were the extra forwards we had going into the playoffs, so neither of those were ideal.  Hathaway was also the other most used extra player, and again a RHS.

Stajan may be the guy selected, or it could be a fringe player like Shinkaruk or Kulak.  I think it's more likely that they select a young player, as they want to compete more in the future than right away.  

Actually I started off with him playing with Backlund and Frolik to maximize him as the 1st option. 4th line use with a renewed attitude is still an option. If no visable renewed attitude and play he could find himself in Stockton. I don't know if I see either of Hamilton or Hathaway with us next season.

How Stajan goes I don't really care so long as he is gone.

You or I have no idea what McPhee is thinking. They are in the entertainment center of the universe so maybe he goes for as competitive as he can now. What is the point of treating it as a rebuild ? None IMO

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Trade a pending RFA with arbitration rights for a pending RFA that you need to protect prior to the draft?  Maybe after the draft, but I doubt there is much value for Chaisson then.  Each team would need to make a qualifying offer.  I get a little mixed up on the dates and the sequence of events, but I think Chaisson can talk to teams prior to July 1st if he isn't signed (or claimed).  Montreal could get him for nothing I think.  

Maybe it isn't Chiasson, maybe him and Poirier as French Canadians wouldn't mind being closer to home. Who knows. I do know that Bergevin wants to get rid or Beaulieu and he is a good defensemen we could use. We don't need Chiasson any longer.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Maybe it isn't Chiasson, maybe him and Poirier as French Canadians wouldn't mind being closer to home. Who knows. I do know that Bergevin wants to get rid or Beaulieu and he is a good defensemen we could use. We don't need Chiasson any longer.

Have you watched him play?

He isn't very good.Small upgarde over Bartowski but honestly if it came to Bealieu vs Kulak I'd run with Kulak. 

8 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Actually I started off with him playing with Backlund and Frolik to maximize him as the 1st option. 4th line use with a renewed attitude is still an option. If no visable renewed attitude and play he could find himself in Stockton. I don't know if I see either of Hamilton or Hathaway with us next season.

How Stajan goes I don't really care so long as he is gone.

You or I have no idea what McPhee is thinking. They are in the entertainment center of the universe so maybe he goes for as competitive as he can now. What is the point of treating it as a rebuild ? None IMO

Previous expansion teams have been limited to Stajan types; long in the tooth players or guys nobody would typically make an offer for.  The qulaity of players this draft will be much higher.  This is their opportunity to build a team from scratch, so prospects are going to be a part of it.  I have no idea of what LV will take from each team, but you have to think they have their guy picked out by now.  Whether that is through discussions with GM's, scouting AHL playoffs or watching NHL games, they would have targets.

There are going to be a lot of Stajans in the draft and a lot much better than him.  There's just as many reasons for not selecting him as there is for.  I worry more about him still being here and finding another team to trade him to.  I think it's time to move on as well.  He's no Cogliano.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Previous expansion teams have been limited to Stajan types; long in the tooth players or guys nobody would typically make an offer for.  The qulaity of players this draft will be much higher.  This is their opportunity to build a team from scratch, so prospects are going to be a part of it.  I have no idea of what LV will take from each team, but you have to think they have their guy picked out by now.  Whether that is through discussions with GM's, scouting AHL playoffs or watching NHL games, they would have targets.

There are going to be a lot of Stajans in the draft and a lot much better than him.  There's just as many reasons for not selecting him as there is for.  I worry more about him still being here and finding another team to trade him to.  I think it's time to move on as well.  He's no Cogliano.

I still think ARZ would be a good trading partner for Stajan.

7 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I still think ARZ would be a good trading partner for Stajan.

Probably.  Maybe Buffalo or Carolina or some other youngish team.  Vancouver is set up to lose a good young player too.  Stajan would be a good fit with them.

One name I haven't heard much is Justin Williams. He is a UFA coming off a $3.25m contract. He is 35 so we might be able to get him cheaper. He is coming off back to back 20 goal seasons. Could be a good option, the guy is a winner.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

One name I haven't heard much is Justin Williams. He is a UFA coming off a $3.25m contract. He is 35 so we might be able to get him cheaper. He is coming off back to back 20 goal seasons. Could be a good option, the guy is a winner.

The 35+ idea scares me from a retirement/recapture perspective.  You are right, the guy is a big game player.  I think he is going to get a good deal wherever he signs, it's just a bit risky.  Probably 3 years or one year for a lot more.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Williams likely goes to a higher up contender due to his reputation.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I was wondering the same thing, especially knowing he'd be fine with short term. The bonus in him I believe is his attitude and everywhere he goes tends to represent a boost in the quality of the team.

The biggest thing for me, we can't expect to improve by leaps and bounds next year, it's a nice dream, but Cap is a harsh reality.

I'd be happy with just taking another step.

Would Williams want to come here? He has no ties at all to Calgary that I'm aware of, so I kind of doubt it.

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all, what he now lacks in speed he makes up in smarts, and I believe we need that too.

SOMEBODY has to keep us level after a bad goal! We do need more quality leadership, imho.

Archived