LA Kings future shakeup

Cowtownguy

Not sure where to post this, so here might be as good as anywhere. With the win last night, I suspect that the Kings are thinking about significant change in their organization. I wonder if Sutter will retire or be fired. Alternatively, I wonder if Lombardi is the one who should go. With their contracts and empty cupboards, how do they go forward?

11 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Not sure where to post this, so here might be as good as anywhere. With the win last night, I suspect that the Kings are thinking about significant change in their organization. I wonder if Sutter will retire or be fired. Alternatively, I wonder if Lombardi is the one who should go. With their contracts and empty cupboards, how do they go forward?

Im not sure maybe NHL talk.

I really dont think the kings can go full rebuild mode, not sure they even need to with so many guys have down years. But at the same time they are in a rough spot where they dont know what they have going forward as most players are only getting older. I dont forsee them trading doughty, kopitar, carter, quick, but they need to get some more depth and they just dont have it. I can see them having sutter step down in the offseason and moving on to a new coach before they start a rebuild.

They have about $60 million tied up in 16 players with the likes of Toffoli & Pearson among others hitting RFA. Lombardi has few friends so hopefully we see an OS or 2 even if it just drives up the prices & forces their hand. :)

Kopitar & Brown are almost untradeable due to their contracts.

Run like heck Sutter!

Eat it Lombardi!

Thanks to whomever moved my post and created this thread. Cheers!

I could see Sutter getting the boot given that they have a lot of great pieces there who have not performed. Lombardi, however, has long operated on the assumption that it is better to trade for a proven NHL player than risk expending resources on a young, unproven player. Both Sutter and Lombardi appear to be on the same page. There is solid logic there, but it seems to me that it is far more expensive to obtain and maintain these players. If you get them too established, then their playing years are reduced. It seems to me that they have a number of talented, expensive, burnt out players on their roster. It will take some innovative trades to address this. LV may be impactful in this regard.

Regardless, I suspect that a lot of LA fans are getting cranky about losing like this. They are used to a certain status over the last couple of decades. When they do decide to rebuild, it will be a messy affair. When I visited the LA Kings website, I noticed a pic of Sutter with the caption: "Warm up the tractor, I'm comin' home".

I think you blame Lombardi more than Sutter. that roster has gotten older, slower, less physical and because they emptied the cupboards to win the cups they have no youth they can insert to give them that boost. I mean that is the reality of a pro sports sometimes where you leverage the future for the present and the Kings did that but hard to say it was a bad move when you win 2 cups. Lombardi also showed too much loyalty to the likes of Gaborik, Brown, King etc and locked them up to some pretty bad deals that are just killing his cap right now. Imagine where he would be if he didn't get so "lucky" in the Mike Richards.

In terms of change i doubt very much Lombardi goes with 2 comes on the resume. Like I said, he did do some bad deals but at the end of the day he did get them 2 cups not long ago so i doubt very much he gets canned. I don't think he would ever "fire" sutter but it woudln't shock me if maybe behind the scenes they give him the option of leaving on his own terms and turn the team over to John Stevens. Not his fault, but I do think the kings need a new energy. 

I look at the Kings capfriendly situation and laugh.  Brown and Gaborik will handicap them big time whether they play out their contract or get bought out.  They almost have to trade Jeff Carter because they need a sucker team to take his contract before he becomes the next Gaborik (old and can't live up to contract anymore).  But don't expect to get much in return.  It's strictly future cap dump.  If anyone would take on Quick's contract as well, then move him too.

But ya, win 2 cups so can't say it wasn't worth it.  They will always have that.

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎28 at 9:42 AM, Cowtownguy said:

I doubt they fire Sutter as he is the best coach for a veteran team. Lombardi has handed out some bad contracts especially Gaborik and Brown, not sure what the thinking was there. Rumors are out that Gaborik will be traded, they may have better luck trading Carter, something has to give there.

We all know how important goaltending can be and it was like the wind went out of their sails when Quick went down long term.

Definitely a down year for them but I wouldn't count them out come next season

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I doubt they fire Sutter as he is the best coach for a veteran team. Lombardi has handed out some bad contracts especially Gaborik and Brown, not sure what the thinking was there. Rumors are out that Gaborik will be traded, they may have better luck trading Carter, something has to give there.

We all know how important goaltending can be and it was like the wind went out of their sails when Quick went down long term.

Definitely a down year for them but I wouldn't count them out come next season

Carter's contract does not become an albatros for a few more years, but man that is a bad one for cap.  His actual salary isn't so bad in the later years.

We could use a player like Carter, as long as they retained salary.  He just knows how to score.  He hard to stop.

I don't see Carter's contract being an issue honestly. I think this guy is another Iginla, just so consistent and will continue to put up points late in his career as well. I wouldn't be in a rush to dump his contract. 

Tehre is some talk that Vegas has interested in Brown as a veteran leader and a guy that could get them to the cap floor. Lombardi needs a favor and get one of or both of Gaborik or Brown's deal to go and then he is in better shape. The bigger problem though is they really have no youth on its way to give them some punch in the coming years and this is going to be 2 of the last 3 seasons now they have missed the playoffs. I dont' think this is a case of just having a down year this is a franchise on the downturn. 

There are some pieces there that can keep them competitive, i just really question where the depth is going to come from. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't see Carter's contract being an issue honestly. I think this guy is another Iginla, just so consistent and will continue to put up points late in his career as well. I wouldn't be in a rush to dump his contract. 

Tehre is some talk that Vegas has interested in Brown as a veteran leader and a guy that could get them to the cap floor. Lombardi needs a favor and get one of or both of Gaborik or Brown's deal to go and then he is in better shape. The bigger problem though is they really have no youth on its way to give them some punch in the coming years and this is going to be 2 of the last 3 seasons now they have missed the playoffs. I dont' think this is a case of just having a down year this is a franchise on the downturn. 

There are some pieces there that can keep them competitive, i just really question where the depth is going to come from. 

They will need to trade a guy like Carter just to get sufficient prospects back.  Brown doesn't get you any return.  Gabby is in the late stages of his career.  They will drop next season regardless, much like the Nucks have in recent years.  At least the Nucks have traded for some futures.

Just now, travel_dude said:

They will need to trade a guy like Carter just to get sufficient prospects back.  Brown doesn't get you any return.  Gabby is in the late stages of his career.  They will drop next season regardless, much like the Nucks have in recent years.  At least the Nucks have traded for some futures.

So you are saying they should fully rebuild and trade Quick/ Doughty, Carter, Kopitar etc etc? I don't see the value in trading your best forwrad and top goal scorer and less you just want to blow everything up. Kings have a good 2-3 more years to put something together before they have to worry about being the Canucks. Having Carter, Doughty and Quick guarantees the Kings won't be the Canucks.

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

So you are saying they should fully rebuild and trade Quick/ Doughty, Carter, Kopitar etc etc? I don't see the value in trading your best forwrad and top goal scorer and less you just want to blow everything up. Kings have a good 2-3 more years to put something together before they have to worry about being the Canucks. Having Carter, Doughty and Quick guarantees the Kings won't be the Canucks.

Honestly, I think they should fully rebuild.  They had a good run but logic says they are trending down.  Might as well go hard rebuild than die a slow death dragged out over 10 years.

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Should the Flames be interested in Jeff Carter for first line RW?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Carter

Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik

I'm hoping the Flames lose Brouwer to Vegas to free up cap space.

Pending cost to acquire, and assuming they could drop Brouwer, absolutely. He'd be a great fit here and a type of player they've really lacked last few years. Veterans scorer who you can lean on to actually produce. 

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Honestly, I think they should fully rebuild.  They had a good run but logic says they are trending down.  Might as well go hard rebuild than die a slow death dragged out over 10 years.

Fair and I don't disagree in theory just in execution. I think they've got enough of a core that the right type of moves could get them back in it and i'm not sure how you justify to your fans trading off the likes of Carter/Doughty/Quick when its so hard to get similar talent like that back. 

I get it the whole " we will win faster int he end" debate but I still think its a really tough sell to fans, especially in that market. 

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I look at the Kings capfriendly situation and laugh.  Brown and Gaborik will handicap them big time whether they play out their contract or get bought out.  They almost have to trade Jeff Carter because they need a sucker team to take his contract before he becomes the next Gaborik (old and can't live up to contract anymore).  But don't expect to get much in return.  It's strictly future cap dump.  If anyone would take on Quick's contract as well, then move him too.

But ya, win 2 cups so can't say it wasn't worth it.  They will always have that.

Carter is only 32, has been a consistant scorer that plays center & wing with PK thrown in. @ 5.27 for 4 more he'd be a great vet to have around (vet, dang I've got his rookie card on my wall).

I'd take him on my team(s) any day. With LA strapped for cap I'd try to underpay though. :)

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not all of them.  Kopitar is the franchise face, along with Quick.  Doubty is their stud D.  I like Toffoli too.  They have to bring in some quality prospects because their window is closing rapidly.  Carter is probably the most replaceable later on in his contract.  

40 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The 1st rebuild under Lombardi took 6 years after Lombardi took over. In those few years he stocked the cupboards & moved the Kings from non-qualifiers to SC Champions. Trading vets like Doughty, Quick & Carter would bring high picks/good prospects. Other vets either drag them down or help them hit the floor during the rebuild.

With youngsters like Toffoli Pearson they'd have a head start if they go scorched earth. That means Sutter exits but with 2 cups in his 10 years Lombardi stays to see if he can work magic again.

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not all of them.  Kopitar is the franchise face, along with Quick.  Doubty is their stud D.  I like Toffoli too.  They have to bring in some quality prospects because their window is closing rapidly.  Carter is probably the most replaceable later on in his contract.  

If you want to keep the rest then it makes no sense to trade your best player for prospects, unless your geting someone that can step into your top 6 right away and be a direct replacement for Carter. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

This is why I think Lombardi needs to trade some of the good pieces such as Carter maybe even Quick to get some picks or youth back. We always see where the dumping of bad contracts is the suggestion for resolve but also the hardest resolve. Maybe Lombardi should do a deal with Sakic  involving Quick, Doughty, Brown and cash for Landesberg and Duchene.

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If you want to keep the rest then it makes no sense to trade your best player for prospects, unless your geting someone that can step into your top 6 right away and be a direct replacement for Carter. 

Well, they need prospects, picks, etc.  Doubty and the rest have years left.  Kopitar is 29.  They don't have to keep trying to get back to the finals right now.  They should be bringing in the best that they can get.  Trading Gabby and Carter for prospects helps.  Keeping him means they don't really move ahead due to having that much tied up.

Anyway, it's not likely to happen.  

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Talk about a purge in LA. Both Lombardi and Sutter are now gone. I wonder if they have a future in the NHL.

I think they both still have value in the NHL, Lombardi still has executive experience so he may not be a GM next go round but he could add value to the front office of any organization. Sutter, it's up to him if he decides to retire or pursue another HC role...nit sure his old school hockey is in high demand but his ability to ice disciplined hard to play against teams is. I saw this coming to be honest, the Kings are in a tough bind and didn't bother future proofing the organization by investing in player development. Hey..it's one less team the Flames need worry about for the foreseeable future

13 hours ago, rickross said:

I think they both still have value in the NHL, Lombardi still has executive experience so he may not be a GM next go round but he could add value to the front office of any organization. Sutter, it's up to him if he decides to retire or pursue another HC role...nit sure his old school hockey is in high demand but his ability to ice disciplined hard to play against teams is. I saw this coming to be honest, the Kings are in a tough bind and didn't bother future proofing the organization by investing in player development. Hey..it's one less team the Flames need worry about for the foreseeable future

Still a lot of good talent on that team. Definitely they will need some change there, just a matter of who a new GM sees staying and going. Lombardi handed out some stupid contracts, could be some opportunities coming out of there.

Archived