COL Avalanche

MAC331

What is going on with this team ? It use to be a classy organization but seems to be crumbling fast. They have some good building blocks there in Duchene, Landeskog and McKinnon but want to sell off two of them to start over. I don't get it, these two are making the money they should be and are not prohibitive for management to go out and get some of their other needs covered. I look at where the Flames were 3 years ago to now and see COL not far behind our own talent level. They have had some tough luck in goal with injuries and could use some better defensemen but upfront they should be capable with some additions. They will be moving out some older players and salaries which should help so would moving some players around.

Grigorenko, Duchene, Rantanen

Landeskog, McKinnon,  NEW RW

Soderberg, Colborne, Andrighetto

Compher, NEW C, Comeau

DEFENSE

Beauchemin, Johnson

Wiercioch, Barrie

Barberio, NEW

GOAL

Varlamov

Picard

This is just to spitball with another team but our own. The questions are will Varlamov make it back ? Is there no good defense prospects in their system ? Can they get a good top 6 RW in as a UFA, even someone like Parenteau would be good. I don't see a hopeless situation in COL.

14 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What is going on with this team ? It use to be a classy organization but seems to be crumbling

One of the mistakes they made was firing Roy and replacing him with Bednar...   Bednar needs to go or it won't make it any easier to climb out of the basement...

3 hours ago, Carty said:

One of the mistakes they made was firing Roy and replacing him with Bednar...   Bednar needs to go or it won't make it any easier to climb out of the basement...

I think the problems were there even before Roy arrived because everything after his 1st year went down hill fast. I don't think Sakic has any idea what he is doing as a GM. I agree there should be a coaching change coming.

They didn't fire Roy, he quit. And in typical Roy fashion he did it in a way that screwed them over and kept his reputation in tact. He could have quit at the end of the season, but no he waits until August. Yes he was getting off a sinking ship and I agree Sakic isn't a good GM but it was a pretty low move imo. Hard for me to fault this on Bednar. That's a really, really tough situation to walk in to and I'm not sure many coaches would thrive let alone first year head coach. 

Avs problem is pretty simple, ownership isn't fully committed to winning and would rather bring in a former face of the franchise than build a good hockey ops. They are cheap so rather than pay guys lie statsny or O'Reilly market value they let them walk and basically receive nothing because the O'Reilly trade was so bad. They also cannot draft and that's why they have no depth. They have to trade guys like duchene because he won't  stick around for this mess and they can't afford to let him go for basically nothing like they did statsny and o Reilly. 

Going to be a very dark few years in Colorado. That team is a mess and it's just awful on paper. Defence has maybe 2 NHL quality defenders on there and outside mackinnon duchene and landeskog they arnt that pretty up front either. It's a mess 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

They didn't fire Roy, he quit. And in typical Roy fashion he did it in a way that screwed them over and kept his reputation in tact. He could have quit at the end of the season, but no he waits until August. Yes he was getting off a sinking ship and I agree Sakic isn't a good GM but it was a pretty low move imo. Hard for me to fault this on Bednar. That's a really, really tough situation to walk in to and I'm not sure many coaches would thrive let alone first year head coach. 

Avs problem is pretty simple, ownership isn't fully committed to winning and would rather bring in a former face of the franchise than build a good hockey ops. They are cheap so rather than pay guys lie statsny or O'Reilly market value they let them walk and basically receive nothing because the O'Reilly trade was so bad. They also cannot draft and that's why they have no depth. They have to trade guys like duchene because he won't  stick around for this mess and they can't afford to let him go for basically nothing like they did statsny and o Reilly. 

Going to be a very dark few years in Colorado. That team is a mess and it's just awful on paper. Defence has maybe 2 NHL quality defenders on there and outside mackinnon duchene and landeskog they arnt that pretty up front either. It's a mess 

Now Cross. Why don't you say what you really think?? Just don't hold back this time. ajq794.gif

Maybe they'll repeat history by drafting good talent for a few years but never being a winner until they are moved ala the Nordique .

There won't be a Lindros like trade to help them along but the gift of a talented but disgruntled goalie (Roy deja vu) might happen.

I'm still hoping for a Saskatoon team & the purchase of this franchise would have the history (retired @s & all) transferred to Toontown.

Calgary & Winnipeg inherited the history of the respective Atlanta fails while the history of the Jets 1.0 (including WHA years) resides in the desert. Chevy should offer Arizona a 2nd rounder & the Thrashers past to reclaim the real past that occurred in the "Peg. The Yotes could even retain post 1996 history which includes bankruptcy & league ownership as those years do not belong to the people of Manitoba. There will be a gap in history between the versions but that reflects the years the name Winnipeg Jets was dormant. Just a little rant since the media put it front & center after Laine broke the rookie scoring record held by Kovalchuk. The memory of Selanne's record rookie season is 1 of the brightest stars of a franchise located in Winnipeg & named the Jets.

3 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Maybe they'll repeat history by drafting good talent for a few years but never being a winner until they are moved ala the Nordique .

There won't be a Lindros like trade to help them along but the gift of a talented but disgruntled goalie (Roy deja vu) might happen.

I'm still hoping for a Saskatoon team & the purchase of this franchise would have the history (retired @s & all) transferred to Toontown.

Calgary & Winnipeg inherited the history of the respective Atlanta fails while the history of the Jets 1.0 (including WHA years) resides in the desert. Chevy should offer Arizona a 2nd rounder & the Thrashers past to reclaim the real past that occurred in the "Peg. The Yotes could even retain post 1996 history which includes bankruptcy & league ownership as those years do not belong to the people of Manitoba. There will be a gap in history between the versions but that reflects the years the name Winnipeg Jets was dormant. Just a little rant since the media put it front & center after Laine broke the rookie scoring record held by Kovalchuk. The memory of Selanne's record rookie season is 1 of the brightest stars of a franchise located in Winnipeg & named the Jets.

If Saskatchewan was given a team wouldn't it be in Regina?

54 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Regina is the capital but Saskatoon has the larger population. They have the potash production & I keep hearing of other valuable products in the ground.

Sask. is 1 of the few provinces with a healthy economy (coinciding with giving the NDP the boot & electing the Saskatchewan Party). Toontown had a population of about 305.000 @ the end of 2015 & is growing. Gauging by the support for the Blades & the sellouts when they hosted the WJC in 2010 they'd fill that 15,000+ seat arena (same size as MTS Center out here) & like the Jets have a waiting list. 15 thousand paid attendance is a smaller city is still more viable than a couple of thousand discounted tickets in the desert.

Toontown has an arena that could be readied for NHL in 1 off season. Too bad Wild Bill Hunter isn't on this side of the earth as he would have spearheaded the attempt to buy a team just like he did trying to buy the St.Louis Blues in the early '80s. I hope somebody steps up like Mark Chipman did in Wpg.

Dang! Put the Toontown whatevers, Jets & the 2 Alberta teams in 1 division & you'd see some great rivalries.

5 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Even if the rink was in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is flat enough that they could probably see the game from Regina...

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎05 at 8:34 AM, cross16 said:

Did ownership change from years past ? as you say if so this could explain a lot. Otherwise they should start at the top not the team and get some quality management there.

22 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Did ownership change from years past ? as you say if so this could explain a lot. Otherwise they should start at the top not the team and get some quality management there.

I think it last changed in 2010. AT the time they were owned by the same guy who owns the LA rams football team and in 2010 he put his son in charge. Pretty sure it wasn't long after that they brought in Sakic. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think it last changed in 2010. AT the time they were owned by the same guy who owns the LA rams football team and in 2010 he put his son in charge. Pretty sure it wasn't long after that they brought in Sakic. 

Remember when Michael Feterik bought the Stamps and made his son Kevin quarterback?...    Nepotism doesn't often end up being very successful...

Tanguay, Bourque, Iginla, Comeau, Colborne, etc.  I'm probably missing another one or two ex-Flames. Nothing wrong with them other than they are way past their prime when they landed in Colorado.  I don't know why Sakic has that much love for them... he'll probably sign Wideman this summer and go hard after Versteeg and Engellend.

I hope the Flames can land Rantanen somehow before Sakic gets fired.

On March 5, 2017 at 11:25 PM, Carty said:

Even if the rink was in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is flat enough that they could probably see the game from Regina...

My buddy from Saskatchewan once told me that he could see his dog running away...for three days.

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎09 at 6:55 PM, The_People1 said:

Tanguay, Bourque, Iginla, Comeau, Colborne, etc.  I'm probably missing another one or two ex-Flames. Nothing wrong with them other than they are way past their prime when they landed in Colorado.  I don't know why Sakic has that much love for them... he'll probably sign Wideman this summer and go hard after Versteeg and Engellend.

I hope the Flames can land Rantanen somehow before Sakic gets fired.

The first 3 for sure but Comeau and Colborne could still prove useful if used in the right capacity. Wideman should retire. Versteeg and Engelland are two players I wouldn't mind seeing the Flames sign back on 1 year deals at the right price. Rantanen is the type of player they should be keeping.

Archived