Matthew Phillips

Maybe a bit early to start a thread on this kid, but he is doing well in his 2nd full season with the Victoria Royals.  In 45 games this season, he has 32 goals and 23 assists, good for 4th in WHL scoring.  He's tiny.  5'6" and 145 pounds.  He has a long way to go to prove he can make the NHL, but he's the underdog you hope for.

I like him, and it's great when we can make a Good investment in a Calgary Native.   Can't do much better than this with a 6th round pick.

I think he has NHL potential.   I might suggest he projects similar to Paul Byron right now in terms of caliber.   Not Gaudreau.  But then, Gaudreau didn't project like Gaudreau either.  Or we wouldn't have gotten him where we did.

If he turns out like Byron, I think that would be a huge win for a 6th rounder.     And, there's always the potential (as there was with Byron), that he turns out significantly better.  And that chance is really what it's all about.

If he actually became a Byron caliber player, we would have a problem on our hands.  I don't think you can have him, and Gaudreau, on the same team.  One is enough that size.   But, we'd also have a hard time letting go of him (Calgary native).    No point into looking into a crystal ball yet though, happy to have him in our pipeline :)

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I like him, and it's great when we can make a Good investment in a Calgary Native.   Can't do much better than this with a 6th round pick.

I think he has NHL potential.   I might suggest he projects similar to Paul Byron right now in terms of caliber.   Not Gaudreau.  But then, Gaudreau didn't project like Gaudreau either.  Or we wouldn't have gotten him where we did.

If he turns out like Byron, I think that would be a huge win for a 6th rounder.     And, there's always the potential (as there was with Byron), that he turns out significantly better.  And that chance is really what it's all about.

If he actually became a Byron caliber player, we would have a problem on our hands.  I don't think you can have him, and Gaudreau, on the same team.  One is enough that size.   But, we'd also have a hard time letting go of him (Calgary native).    No point into looking into a crystal ball yet though, happy to have him in our pipeline :)

Those teams that followed him knew what he was capable of.  We were not the only team that wanted him, but we took him at just the right time.  Teams are a little jumpy when it comes to small wingers.  They either pick them way too early or try to wait too long.  

On 20/01/2017 at 9:36 PM, travel_dude said:

Just going to do this once, since the situation is fairly unique:

Wes Gilbertson Retweeted Danny Austin

With back-to-back hat-tricks, #Flames prospect Matthew Phillips now second in WHL goal-scoring race with 35.

I'm paying attention now.

Can he keep the pace up?    If he can, we have something here.

11 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I'm paying attention now.

Can he keep the pace up?    If he can, we have something here.

I would never compare him to Gaudreau, seeing as JG is more of a playmaker.  It would be nice to have a goal scorer coming out of junior.  We don't seem to have that, other than when Monahan remembers his role.  Pure sniper.  Something you don't hear about when you talk about the Flames.  I am hoping that Mangiapane can set that straight, at least until Phillips gets his chance.   

• 1 month later...

I've heard a lot of Royals fans really gloat about this kids potential. Some have said he's the most dynamic player the Royals have had and he's dangerous overtime he's out there. I'm not worried about his size..we've been there with Gaudreau and now its not even close to being an issue. After Tkachuk(lol..Benning you sucker!) Matthews could become the gem of this draft. 

On 3/9/2017 at 6:44 PM, rickross said:

I've heard a lot of Royals fans really gloat about this kids potential. Some have said he's the most dynamic player the Royals have had and he's dangerous overtime he's out there. I'm not worried about his size..we've been there with Gaudreau and now its not even close to being an issue. After Tkachuk(lol..Benning you sucker!) Matthews could become the gem of this draft. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, but he is significantly smaller than Johnny is he not (3 inches and 20 lbs)? He may grow further you never know. While Johnny is a small player, he doesn't stick out noticeably on the ice to me for being small any more.

On 3/9/2017 at 6:44 PM, rickross said:

He's got a big uphill battle ahead of him.  He's Alex Debrincat height without the beefy size.  As a goal scorer, he's going to be in tougher than Gaudreau.  He will need to add 20 pounds at least.  Junior allows a smaller player to have a chance, but he has to figure out a way to use that lack of size to make it in the NHL.  Elite skating, passing or edge work will be what gets him into the show.

• 3 weeks later...

With Victoria eliminated from the WHL playoffs, I wonder if Stockton would sign Phillips to ATO for the rest of the season. Even if he doesn't get into any games, it at least gives him a taste of pro hockey and gives the coaching staff down there a good chance to evaluate what they have in him going forward.

Congrats to the two additions. Hopefully, they make the most out of the opportunities. It has taken us a long time to restock the cupboards. I wonder if we will get to the point where we have numerous options to fill vacant positions. I will never forget back in the day when the Flames were a little flat for a stretch and they brought up Fleury and some big Russian guy for spark. It sure worked with Theo.

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

Congrats to the two additions. Hopefully, they make the most out of the opportunities. It has taken us a long time to restock the cupboards. I wonder if we will get to the point where we have numerous options to fill vacant positions. I will never forget back in the day when the Flames were a little flat for a stretch and they brought up Fleury and some big Russian guy for spark. It sure worked with Theo.

There is a slim to none chance that MacDonald gets any games if the Heat haven't clinched.

Great that Phillips gets a chance to show where he is.  Too young next season to play in the AHL, but it will help him get a sense of where he is in relation to pro hockey.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Phillips had a goal last night vs Russia. He looked very dangerous in the offensive zone. He might be a long shot to make Team Canada for the WJC but he is doing everything in his power to make that team. My only concern other than size with him is that he lacks that elite speed that you would like to see from a player his size, he isn't slow he just doesn't have that extra gear. He does have an uphill battle to make it to the NHL, but it's hard not to be excited and root for the kid.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Phillips had a goal last night vs Russia. He looked very dangerous in the offensive zone. He might be a long shot to make Team Canada for the WJC but he is doing everything in his power to make that team. My only concern other than size with him is that he lacks that elite speed that you would like to see from a player his size, he isn't slow he just doesn't have that extra gear. He does have an uphill battle to make it to the NHL, but it's hard not to be excited and root for the kid.

I only saw parts of the game, but when I saw him, I saw glimpses of Johnny Hockey.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 7:20 PM, conundrumed said:

Phillips?

Not even maybe.

Ruzicka, man.

Phillips gets hit. A lot.

He's resilient, I'll give him that. But he'd better get a whole lot shiftier in a hurry.

I've got a disagreement here but I'll give you a "Like" for the Ruzicka addition.

Ruzicka is Also looking like a great steel.   To say the least.  And yeah, equally or moreso worthy of his own thread.

But Phillips, in his own right, is a great prospect and yeah, he might be a project.   But so was Jankowski, and even now I'd say Phillips has the "higher ceiling"...pun intended.   Smaller guys have different ways of making it work.  Some, like Gaudreau, are shifty.   Others, like Theo Fleury, used their center of gravity and lower body strength.    

He will have to find his way, but the skill is there.   

20 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I've got a disagreement here but I'll give you a "Like" for the Ruzicka addition.

Ruzicka is Also looking like a great steel.   To say the least.  And yeah, maybe needs his own thread.

But Phillips, in his own right, is a great prospect and yeah, he might be a project.   But so was Jankowski, and even now I'd say Phillips has the "higher ceiling"...pun intended.   Smaller guys have different ways of making it work.  Some, like Gaudreau, are shift.   Others, like Theo Fleury, used their center of gravity and lower body strength.    

He will have to find his way, but the skill is there.   

Phillips is very high end, but he differs from JG in avoiding getting crushed. I've seen him twice now on the road this year. Team's key in on him because he's so good. He's getting hit, hard, a lot more than I like to see. When he has to come up to the next level, those hits are going to hurt a lot more.

I've seen a lot of Keller(at 16-18yo) and Gaudreau, whom I think most would say are highly-skilled smaller players with elite vision.

I've seen Phillips live twice now. It is definitely not the same thing.

Ruzicka should be interesting to watch, I think he needs a year or 2 yet. I'm hopeful, because he's a big center, probably top out at 6'4" yet a big frame and a really nice set of mitts. We'll see how his year goes now, but he started out being shot out of a cannon, I believe because of his 1st NHL camp.

Currently 17-17-34 in 26 iirc.

Definitely a nice package there, what he lacks mainly, is feet. But that comes with maturing muscle mass for his frame.

And for a 4th rder, that's a pretty good deal. Bigger than Ferland with better mitts that knows more ways to score. In a center that's been really good at the dot at 59%.

He's the #1 PP C but the 2C, so it isn't all Kyrou bumping his stats. For all intents and purposes, Hatcher wants 3 scoring lines in Sarnia, and he's getting pretty much that.

Highest scoring team in the O, rocking a +54 goal differential.

Punchline: yet 3 pts behind their DIVISION leader SSM.

No other team in the O is remotely close to those 2 teams.

Archived