Troy Brouwer

Going4TheCup

OK. What's the cutoff that makes the rest worthy but Brouwer lesser? :unsure:

Few players drafted in 2004 are still active let alone effective. The Hawks took a chance & found a gem. 7 years later he was traded for a 1st in 2011 (became Mark Mcneill who can become whatever Chicago let's him).

So is his worth a 7th rounder or the 1st he got in return? :)

If you trust draftsite...which I think is pretty good.  They have Brouwer going 14th overall if a redraft of the 2004 draft were held now.  By Edmonton no less !

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, hockeypriest2 said:

I think its time this thread made its way to the main page....

I was never more disgusted in a Flame player than I was with this guy last night. Time to grow a pair Troy, we're headed to the playoffs!!! Stop hiding and earn your paycheck!!!

Good call resurrecting the thread, I was going to go find it, and saw that you already had...

Brouwer get's the contract that he want's, and since then then damn near every game he has been Mr. Invisible...   Aside from his general lack of consistent contribution to the team and coming up short in points production, another place he is shirking is failing to stand up for his team mates...   There is no way that guys like Backlund and Frolik should be the ones having to go to battle like they did last night...

We can only hope Brouwer is exposed in the draft and Vegas takes him, or barring that he should just do the right thing and retire...   Brouwer should be embarrassed every two weeks when he cashes that cheque...

3 hours ago, Carty said:

Good call resurrecting the thread, I was going to go find it, and saw that you already had...

Brouwer get's the contract that he want's, and since then then damn near every game he has been Mr. Invisible...   Aside from his general lack of consistent contribution to the team and coming up short in points production, another place he is shirking is failing to stand up for his team mates...   There is no way that guys like Backlund and Frolik should be the ones having to go to battle like they did last night...

We can only hope Brouwer is exposed in the draft and Vegas takes him, or barring that he should just do the right thing and retire...   Brouwer should be embarrassed every two weeks when he cashes that cheque...

I understand when a player might not live up to expectations. They cannot help that. I understand when they are paid too much and cannot live up to the expectations of the contract, which is really the team's fault. I do not understand when a player simply does not live up to his capabilities. Brouwer could be a more physical presence on the team. We all know that. He has he ability to skate harder and forecheck harder. For whatever reason, he doesn't. It seems that some players check out near the end of their careers. I really hope that he shows another gear in the playoffs.

40 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Brouwer could be a more physical presence on the team. We all know that. He has he ability to skate harder and forecheck harder. For whatever reason, he doesn't. It seems that some players check out near the end of their careers. I really hope that he shows another gear in the playoffs.

Wideman has been getting paid $5.25 mil a season, and he checked out a while back...   He hasn't been worth a third of that for quite some time...

Brouwer is getting $4.5 mil, and isn't worth anything close to that either...   He's just been coasting and going through the motions, and he has another 3 years to go on his contract...   Originally I was happy to see him sign, but unless he starts to show up to play the kind of hockey he is capable of and getting paid for, I can't wait until the day we can say good riddance, and the sooner that happens, the better...

12 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I understand when a player might not live up to expectations. They cannot help that. I understand when they are paid too much and cannot live up to the expectations of the contract, which is really the team's fault. I do not understand when a player simply does not live up to his capabilities. Brouwer could be a more physical presence on the team. We all know that. He has he ability to skate harder and forecheck harder. For whatever reason, he doesn't. It seems that some players check out near the end of their careers. I really hope that he shows another gear in the playoffs.

I think we all expect a higher gear from Brouwer we have wanted to see all season. I have no doubt Brouwer has value for this team, he is a class act and very well thought of by his team mates. As fans we watch and wait for the player to live up to the money. I share the disappointment but let's all hope he comes alive within the playoffs and provides the spark we have been expecting.

28 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think we all expect a higher gear from Brouwer we have wanted to see all season. I have no doubt Brouwer has value for this team, he is a class act and very well thought of by his team mates. As fans we watch and wait for the player to live up to the money. I share the disappointment but let's all hope he comes alive within the playoffs and provides the spark we have been expecting.

I guess I'm just old fashioned...I believe that if you are not contributing with offense you better be contributing defensively and in the trenches...Brouwer has an "A" stapled to his shirt and that is supposed to mean something!!!!!!

In his case it stands for "ABSENT" and I am disgusted...If I was coach that letter would be on Backlund's jersey as he has shown all the qualities (at least from a fans perspective as I am not in the room with the guys) as he has definitely earned it!!!

1 minute ago, hockeypriest2 said:

I guess I'm just old fashioned...I believe that if you are not contributing with offense you better be contributing defensively and in the trenches...Brouwer has an "A" stapled to his shirt and that is supposed to mean something!!!!!!

In his case it stands for "ABSENT" and I am disgusted...If I was coach that letter would be on Backlund's jersey as he has shown all the qualities (at least from a fans perspective as I am not in the room with the guys) as he has definitely earned it!!!

I won't disagree with what you have here, except maybe I am not disgusted only disappointed with Brouwer's play with us .He has 13 goals and 11 assists which puts him with a few others middle of the pack. Definitely we need more from a player being paid the kind of money he is making. I have to think he hasn't gotten this far by being lazy, what I see missing is the tenacious play which has been is calling card. We need this Brouwer to show up as we head into the playoffs.

20 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I won't disagree with what you have here, except maybe I am not disgusted only disappointed with Brouwer's play with us .He has 13 goals and 11 assists which puts him with a few others middle of the pack. Definitely we need more from a player being paid the kind of money he is making. I have to think he hasn't gotten this far by being lazy, what I see missing is the tenacious play which has been is calling card. We need this Brouwer to show up as we head into the playoffs.

The lack of production I can live with...The lack of intestinal fortitude, passion, pride, courage, and willingness to engage for his teammates is what disgusts me...Watching him not get into the muck when the stakes are high bothers me but it should be bothering GG even more...I wonder what Burkie was thinking watching that the other night....

I agree with you Mac...We need him in the playoffs and if he is not willing to engage than he should watch from the pressbox while Hathaway gets involved...

When Brouwer was signed I thought he might be the answer as a 1st line RW, or at least a strong 2nd liner...   So did Gully as he was paid accordingly...

Instead, he is languishing on the 4th line...   He definitely does not deserve to be wearing the A, and I can easily think of a few others that deserve it more...

1 hour ago, hockeypriest2 said:

The lack of production I can live with...The lack of intestinal fortitude, passion, pride, courage, and willingness to engage for his teammates is what disgusts me...Watching him not get into the muck when the stakes are high bothers me but it should be bothering GG even more...I wonder what Burkie was thinking watching that the other night....

I agree with you Mac...We need him in the playoffs and if he is not willing to engage than he should watch from the pressbox while Hathaway gets involved...

Brouwer has never been the fighting type however I know what you saying. It is time to step up big time for Brouwer.

I would still like to see him with Versteeg and Bennett, if he is going to rise to the occasion.

Chiasson is the one I would sit if GG wanted to use Hathaway. Worth a try I think.

Unfortunately without a very good playoffs I don't think Vegas will have any interest in Brouwer. That contract is looking so bad now that I see no reason why Vegas would want any part of it. 

Can only hope that this is the typical first year after a big contract blues and that Brouwer can have a good playoffs and bounce back next year because I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon. 

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I'm hoping he duplicates what he did in the playoffs for St. Louis last year. He really came alive.

42 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Brouwer has never been the fighting type however I know what you saying. It is time to step up big time for Brouwer.

I would still like to see him with Versteeg and Bennett, if he is going to rise to the occasion.

Chiasson is the one I would sit if GG wanted to use Hathaway. Worth a try I think.

I think Chiasson has done his job quite admirably once put into the right role...He has played with passion and pride and I wouldn't take him out of the lineup ahead of Brouwer but that's just me...

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Unfortunately without a very good playoffs I don't think Vegas will have any interest in Brouwer. That contract is looking so bad now that I see no reason why Vegas would want any part of it. 

Can only hope that this is the typical first year after a big contract blues and that Brouwer can have a good playoffs and bounce back next year because I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon. 

You are absolutely correct!!! 100%... There is not a snowball's chance in "H" "E" double hockey sticks we will be able to get rid of the contract....its bad!!!

The onus is on Brouwer now to look within and find a spine and play with the fire that this playoff series will require...if he can't then someone else should get the chance...

3 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I'm hoping he duplicates what he did in the playoffs for St. Louis last year. He really came alive.

That would be nice!!!

I'm still willing to give Brouwer a wee bit of leeway this season being that he's on a new team with all new line mates/coaches, however as a vet he should be more effective than he has been. We shall see, if he ramps things up in the playoffs maybe its enough bait for Vegas to grab him if they don't..we will be praying for a rebound season from him. 

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

He was brought in for that vet leadership and scoring in the playoffs, when your top line gets shut down.  What seems to be missing from Brouwer's game lately is how he scores a lot of his goals - wiring a shot on the rush.  He's got a wicked shot when he uses it.  

Just now, rickross said:

I'm still willing to give Brouwer a wee bit of leeway this season being that he's on a new team with all new line mates/coaches, however as a vet he should be more effective than he has been. We shall see, if he ramps things up in the playoffs maybe its enough bait for Vegas to grab him if they don't..we will be praying for a rebound season from him. 

This is the only way to look at the situation with him. Brouwer isn't the first and he won't be the last player to have a lacklustre season. His body of work is good and with some rebound we would still have a good player. It won't be the end of the world if Brouwer is still a Flame next season.

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He was brought in for that vet leadership and scoring in the playoffs, when your top line gets shut down.  What seems to be missing from Brouwer's game lately is how he scores a lot of his goals - wiring a shot on the rush.  He's got a wicked shot when he uses it.  

I can live with his lack of production if he is doing other things...sadly he is not...

Stajan is overpaid but alot of fans, myself included, can overlook this because he does a great job in other aspects of the game and he contributes positively to the team.

Yes, Brouwer is not getting that shot off but he is also missing alot of intensity and attitude that he should be providing, especially when he is struggling offensively...This team traded Glencross when he was more useful than what Brouwer is now...

Take a look at Iginla's last game in the Dome for the type of passion and pride that a leader that has lost his way should be playing with!!!

While I agree he has a good shot, The strength of Brouwer game is his ability to dominate in and around the net. In St Louis, especially in the playoffs, he was extremely difficult to contain in the slot and was great at generating second chance opportunities and goals off rebounds. He isn't that rough and tumble guy and while yes I think he should have done more in the Ducks game, expecting him to mix it up in a scrum isn't going to happen. Not his game and really has never been his game. 

I'm not sure we have seen, at any point this season, Brouwer play well in the slot let alone dominate. If he doesn't do that , he is basically useless IMO. Flames and he need to find a way to get that back into this game. 

40 minutes ago, hockeypriest2 said:

I can live with his lack of production if he is doing other things...sadly he is not...

Stajan is overpaid but alot of fans, myself included, can overlook this because he does a great job in other aspects of the game and he contributes positively to the team.

Yes, Brouwer is not getting that shot off but he is also missing alot of intensity and attitude that he should be providing, especially when he is struggling offensively...This team traded Glencross when he was more useful than what Brouwer is now...

Take a look at Iginla's last game in the Dome for the type of passion and pride that a leader that has lost his way should be playing with!!!

GlenX was one player I felt that when he was traded, we lost a skill and never have replaced it.  How many goals are scored by intensional deflections?  Very few.  GlenX was our best player in doing that.  As far as I can tell, the next best we have is Frolik.  Johnny and Monahan have good hand/eye coordination, but are rarely in that spot for a point shot.

6 hours ago, hockeypriest2 said:

The lack of production I can live with...The lack of intestinal fortitude, passion, pride, courage, and willingness to engage for his teammates is what disgusts me...Watching him not get into the muck when the stakes are high bothers me but it should be bothering GG even more...I wonder what Burkie was thinking watching that the other night.

He kinda reminds me of Oli Jokenin Of old because I live in the past I will us him as an example Once oli got his pay day he vanished sometimes he would show up but not much. Funny thing was when his contract was ready to expire it was amazing how his quality of play went up hugely perhaps thats what we have here?

1 hour ago, zima said:

He kinda reminds me of Oli Jokenin Of old because I live in the past I will us him as an example Once oli got his pay day he vanished sometimes he would show up but not much. Funny thing was when his contract was ready to expire it was amazing how his quality of play went up hugely perhaps thats what we have here?

He was an in demand UFA & got just under a 20% raise based on his last season & playoffs. I remember most on this board thought we got a pretty good deal especially compared to what others signed for with other teams. & his isn't all up front money like a Lucic or Ladd.

17 hours ago, cross16 said:

While I agree he has a good shot, The strength of Brouwer game is his ability to dominate in and around the net. In St Louis, especially in the playoffs, he was extremely difficult to contain in the slot and was great at generating second chance opportunities and goals off rebounds. He isn't that rough and tumble guy and while yes I think he should have done more in the Ducks game, expecting him to mix it up in a scrum isn't going to happen. Not his game and really has never been his game. 

I'm not sure we have seen, at any point this season, Brouwer play well in the slot let alone dominate. If he doesn't do that , he is basically useless IMO. Flames and he need to find a way to get that back into this game. 

Agreed

15 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

He was an in demand UFA & got just under a 20% raise based on his last season & playoffs. I remember most on this board thought we got a pretty good deal especially compared to what others signed for with other teams. & his isn't all up front money like a Lucic or Ladd.

I don't think the Brouwer signing or purpose was any different than signing Frolik, very similar players. Both are slight overpayments but possess an element pf experience and play this team required. It is fair to say we were all expecting more from him but it happens where it just isn't there. He could bounce back next season so let's not throw him out yet.

Archived