Troy Brouwer

Going4TheCup

Your welcome to your opinion. I am not his biggest fan and I don't love the contract. But when you look at our depth on the right side its tough to suggest he isn't an upgrade imo.

I think Colbourne starting coming around he was being more aggressive and going to Brouwers parts of the ice. Why not let him take a crack at first line even though he's a lefty? JC signed with Col for 2.5 annually. 2 million cheaper and was well liked by his teammates. Softer hands too. Good at deflections. Oh well.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Colbourne starting coming around he was being more aggressive and going to Brouwers parts of the ice. Why not let him take a crack at first line even though he's a lefty? JC signed with Col for 2.5 annually. 2 million cheaper and was well liked by his teammates. Softer hands too. Good at deflections. Oh well.

Colborne wanted more money prior to July 1 so the Flames went in a different direction. Regardless, I think Brouwer is a much better fit to Colborne.

When your one of the bottom 5 teams in the NHL playing more money to bring back the same players is a really poor strategy.

The only way you are going to let this go is to watch him play as a Flames fan.  I guarantee you will enjoy watching him play.  We don't have a single forward that plays like him.  Colborne was more like Chris Breen; big, long reach, didn't know he was big, didn't use it.  He managed to get some meaningless goals and assists after we needed wins.  He assists on  a goal and skated over Wideman, putting Wideman out for the rest of the season.  Accident, but it is kind of typical of Joe.  Gets called for meaningless penalties in important games or doesn't see the ice well enough.  

As far as being like by the team, people love Bollig, but it doesn't make him a good player.  Brouwer is a good team player and will also stick up for his teammates.  Oh, and he's 10x better than Bollig.

Ok I agree I shouldn't of included that. I'm just not a Brouwer fan unless he was brought in to play 3rd line role. I just don't think he's an upgrade.

Come on Brouwer is definitely an upgrade to this team, all you have to do is take into consideration the needs we had. the guy has been a leader and a force for better play everywhere he has played. Strome has done nothing and for all you know is or was never available so enough with the wishful thinking.

This was in my humble opinion, the best case scenario, we got a servicable, impact player, albeit not an elite talent for a manageable contact. Could you imagine if we had signed that Licic deal?

I see Brouwer in the same light as Gary Roberts, an vocal, hard nosed guy, that works hard and can chip in when it matters and he has a ring and the experience to be taken seriously.

If you want to buy that package on the open market, your lucky to walk away with a 4x4.

If Frolik couldn't play with JG and SM last year then why would Brouwer be a good fit? Frolik is way better then Brouwer. BT should of stayed pact but Chris Johnson is a good add.

Why couldnt frolik play with JG and SM, he didnt do badly when he played with them, actually they had some success. Brouwer is going to look good in our top 6, lots of the arguments you made for frolik are the same for brouwer, he is physical, opens space for his teammates, and alot of the initial returns looking at how he was utilized in st louis and washington says coaches trust him against tough opposition.

This was in my humble opinion, the best case scenario, we got a servicable, impact player, albeit not an elite talent for a manageable contact. Could you imagine if we had signed that Licic deal?

I see Brouwer in the same light as Gary Roberts, an vocal, hard nosed guy, that works hard and can chip in when it matters and he has a ring and the experience to be taken seriously.

If you want to buy that package on the open market, your lucky to walk away with a 4x4.

Reasonable comp.  

Maybe late in his career but in their prime it's a laughable comparison. Troy Brouwer is a shell of what Roberts was in his prime. Not even close.

I'm not comparing there career's, nor am I saying there in the same leauge, I'm simply stating that there cut from the same cloth and that Brouwer will bring the same type o leadership qualities.

Brewer is not a good signing one reason....

If we need a second reason, well he is not the player we need and would rather opt for one of our prospects over him, reason, well...

Stl let him go for a reason what more needs to be argued?

If we need a second reason, well he is not the player we need and would rather opt for one of our prospects over him, reason, well...

How about he is a UFA and STL has no hold over him as a start. This forward group needs good veteran leadership and Brouwer has provided that in the way he plays the game. If you think some prospect can provide what Brouwer brings you are sadly mistaken.

Finishing your paragraph after available would of sufficed. BT is bad at FA signings. I don't trust him anymore. He needs to get some balls and make a trade from his roster to acquire better players. He needs to take some lessons from Tim Murray on how to build a team. Buffalo needed a goalie he got Lehner he needed a winger he got Kane Ryan Oreily all from roster players. Then he gave smart money to Okposo.

Finishing your paragraph after available would of sufficed. BT is bad at FA signings. I don't trust him anymore. He needs to get some balls and make a trade from his roster to acquire better players. He needs to take some lessons from Tim Murray on how to build a team. Buffalo needed a goalie he got Lehner he needed a winger he got Kane all from roster players.

And now he is trying to move Kane but he can't because he had a poor season and is dealing with another sexual harassment case. Plus they just paid Okposo a 7-year deal at 6-million per so maybe Tim Murray is bad at FA signings.  Plus I am pretty sure it was Murray that signed Moulson and Gionta to terrible contracts.  Not to mention Buffalo is one of the worst teams in the NHL in recent history.  

Treliving has shown his "cough" balls with many roster trades.  Including acquiring Hamilton and Elliot.  You can't address all of your needs in trades though.  Free agency is an important part of the game.  

Stop going on these Treliving hate rants unless you have something to back it up.  

How would Murray know that Kane would be stupid? He gave Gionta and Moulson contracts because they were a bad team then. They needed someone. Didn't say I hated BT I just don't trust him. Why so much love for BT from everyone? How's his Ahl coach doing these days? How's his goaltending coach working out? One player he drafted on the team. How's England working out? Trades draft picks for players so he won't look bad for 5 years when those picks mature.

How would Murray know that Kane would be stupid? He gave Gionta and Moulson contracts because they were a bad team then. They needed someone. Didn't say I hated BT I just don't trust him. Why so much love for BT from everyone? How's his Ahl coach doing these days? How's his goaltending coach working out? One player he drafted on the team. How's England working out? Trades draft picks for players so he won't look bad for 5 years when those picks mature.

The stuff he was doing in winnipeg that got him traded in the first was probably a good indication?

His AHL coach tell me whats wrong with him, because he didnt win hes a bad coach? or how does that work for you? His goaltending coach had a good season as well when we made the playoffs.

Im starting to think you are a troll, there is no way you are making these arguments.

Engelland is working out just fine for what he is, and all these "bad" contracts have not handicapped the team at all, so I wouldnt worry.

Age? That's all you got? Lol he's not the player we need how? Cause he's a right shooting rw that brings a good mix of skill,compete and size? Is it because we're too crowded on that side or because we have a plethora of kids waiting in the shadows to take a top six role?

Id say you have a whole lot more to argue then just that. I know everyone is going crazy for prospects but you need a good mix of vets to compliment the kids. Other wise we ice an AHL team on an NHL salary.

Go have a look at the potential RW UFA's over the next two off seasons, it's pretty thin on that side and the only other way to acquire a younger option would cost a valuable asset.

Maybe we can give a player the benefit of the doubt until he plays let say 10 games.  I watch STL ruin our chances at a 1st round pick from Dallas.  I watched them beat a Cup winner.  Brouwer was a big part if that run.  

I don't know why this signing is so disturbing to people.  We could move Wideman, Stajan and Engelland and still be blessed with a good bunch of vet leaders.  Does Brouwer make us better today?  Yes.  Is the salary that big a concern beyond this season?  Not really.  Can we ice a team without vets?  No.  Does Brouwer's salary prevent us from signing any big names or re-signing Nakladal or Jooris or Colborne?  No, that is related to paying Wideman, Stajan, Bollig, Smid, and Engelland almost $16m to play depth roles.  

Maybe we can give a player the benefit of the doubt until he plays let say 10 games.  I watch STL ruin our chances at a 1st round pick from Dallas.  I watched them beat a Cup winner.  Brouwer was a big part if that run.  

I don't know why this signing is so disturbing to people.  We could move Wideman, Stajan and Engelland and still be blessed with a good bunch of vet leaders.  Does Brouwer make us better today?  Yes.  Is the salary that big a concern beyond this season?  Not really.  Can we ice a team without vets?  No.  Does Brouwer's salary prevent us from signing any big names or re-signing Nakladal or Jooris or Colborne?  No, that is related to paying Wideman, Stajan, Bollig, Smid, and Engelland almost $16m to play depth roles.  

I only see a few squawking about the Brouwer signing and all the reasons against are feeble at best.

I completely agree. Stlouis has other priorities with how much money they have tied up with other players.

Also I dont see this contract being an issue for us for the next few years, 4 million dollars over 4 years is not a back breaking contract, the only comparable is bryan bickell, that brouwer could possibly end up like. The only way I see that happening is if for some reason his game falls off a cliff ala bickell. I can see brouwer being a serviceable player for the duration of the contract, and since our big D men are locked up and same with our big name forwards, + 16 million coming off the cap end of next year we will be fine.

I only see a few squawking about the Brouwer signing and all the reasons against are feeble at best.

Well put. I am not a Brouwer expert by any means. From what I have seen though, he possesses two traits seriously lacking on the roster right now: tenacity and leadership. He strikes me as the type that is singularly focused, and gets what he wants, no matter what. I think he will be an excellent mentor for Monahan (who has these traits and can accentuate them). I agree with those concerned about term and a few dollars here and there under a cap system, but what he brings to the club is invaluable IMO. 

I was impressed with this signing by the Flames. When Lucic was asked about his role on the Oilers (i.e. who he would play with), he said he did not know and that it was up to the coach. When Brouwer was asked the same question, he pointed out that he had spoken to Burke, Treliving, and Gulutzan EXTENSIVELY. He knows exactly what is expected of him, who he will play with, and he clearly buys into the position. I got the sense that the Flames had put thought into what they were doing, whereas the Oilers were more out to deflect negative attention from the media after the Hall trade. I believe that is a relatively unbiased position.

Brouwer reminds me of the last F150 I bought. I spent too much on something not very flashy, paid over too many years, and got too many options. In the end, I was happy with navigation, heated leather seats, and a heavy duty powertrain that allows me to pull my trailer in any conditions, no problems. Lucic is like a Ram 1500. It looks all tough in the beginning and you feel all confident, but just wait for the recalls to happen, because you know they are coming. Book your recall appointment when signing on the dotted line.  :ph34r:

He's 30, Will be 34 when the contact ends.

St. L let him go merely because they wanted cap space as they thought they were big players in the UFA market (failed) & have Schwartz to re-sign & have Steen, Shattenkirk & Berglund coming up for renewal next season. It's not they didn't want Brouwer but that they value the other 3 more.

Would you have traded Gaudreau or Monahan to keep Colbourne?

Other than the fact that Brouwer fills a positional need, I like that he's been there before.  He's played important roles on teams that have gone on deep playoff runs and he's the only player on the Flames that can say that.  Gio is an excellent leader IMO but Brouwer brings experience that Gio doesn't have.  The Flames may well live to regret this signing but I wont blame BT as it seems to make sense right now.

Edit: Just looked it up.  98 playoff games, IMO that's  huge.

Players of that caliber that are picked in those rounds never really happens. Once in a blue moon. Those teams were extremely lucky.

OK. What's the cutoff that makes the rest worthy but Brouwer lesser? :unsure:

Few players drafted in 2004 are still active let alone effective. The Hawks took a chance & found a gem. 7 years later he was traded for a 1st in 2011 (became Mark Mcneill who can become whatever Chicago let's him).

So is his worth a 7th rounder or the 1st he got in return? :)

Archived