Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

GG is a tool. It was the Battle of Alberta last night and he doesn't even bother to call up a couple of our tougher boys to deal with Kassian and Lucic. You know full well in advance that there is going to be some crap from those knuckledraggers. In the end, Lucic hammers on Smith and Glass has to answer the bell. That was a mismatch forced upon Glass simply because GG didn't prepare properly. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

GG is a tool. It was the Battle of Alberta last night and he doesn't even bother to call up a couple of our tougher boys to deal with Kassian and Lucic. You know full well in advance that there is going to be some crap from those knuckledraggers. In the end, Lucic hammers on Smith and Glass has to answer the bell. That was a mismatch forced upon Glass simply because GG didn't prepare properly. 

Call up who? And the flames are out of regular call ups. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Call up who? And the flames are out of regular call ups. 

Stewart. He played the game before and scored the only goal. I thought that the whole reason for picking him up was for some grit in games like this. Other than that, I am not clear on why we snagged him.

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

Stewart. He played the game before and scored the only goal. I thought that the whole reason for picking him up was for some grit in games like this. Other than that, I am not clear on why we snagged him.

They tried to catch lightning in a bottle and see if he could score like he did at the start of the season but he didn't. Stewart's toughness is pretty overrated. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

They tried to catch lightning in a bottle and see if he could score like he did at the start of the season but he didn't. Stewart's toughness is pretty overrated. 

There is nothing there with Stewart, useless pick up and say good bye when the season is over.

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If memory serves though, he had a pretty solid tilt with Lucic at one point. He knows how to engage in a fight. I don't understand why you take him out of the line up after scoring a goal the game before when he can help deal with Lucic/Kassian better than can Glass. In the end, our goaltender too three hits to the head, our captain took a slash to the leg, and Glass took a hard hit to the head. 

ETA: I think it was really stupid to put Glass out there for that shift. There is no way Glass is going to take Lucic. Either prepare for a scrappy game with the most appropriate players you have for that possibility, or just expect and allow that you are going to lose that aspect of the game. 

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

I'm pretty sure GG doesn't get to call up anyone.  That's BT's job.  But I do agree, of the players available to him, he didn't put together the toughest lineup he could've.

56 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I thought we got Dalton Prout for games like yesterday.  Prout vs Lucic YouTube it.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I thought we got Dalton Prout for games like yesterday.  Prout vs Lucic YouTube it.

Flames are out of regular call ups though. 

Comes down to what would you prefer? Taking a look at someone like Foo who may compete for you team next year or do you bring up/play non useful players who will be off your team at the end of the year? 

Seems like pretty easy decision to me. Especially in a useless game. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Comes down to what would you prefer? Taking a look at someone like Foo who may compete for you team next year or do you bring up/play non useful players who will be off your team at the end of the year? 

Not so sure Prout is entirely useless though.  I was interested to find out if Prout could make the team next year and play Engellend's role.  An enforcer type bottom pair who is not a liability.  

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

They weren't out of recalls a couple of games ago. While seeing what Foo can do is important too...

This was not a useless game. It was against our division rivals, who have been pushing our team around, for at least a couple of years.

A game that has no bearing on the standings, is a perfect time to send this message, rather than in a game that might have playoff implications for us.

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Not so sure Prout is entirely useless though.  I was interested to find out if Prout could make the team next year and play Engellend's role.  An enforcer type bottom pair who is not a liability.  

I think Prout career speaks to that already. It would be disappointing if the Flames were considering Prout in their NHL plan next year. 

33 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

They weren't out of recalls a couple of games ago. While seeing what Foo can do is important too...

This was not a useless game. It was against our division rivals, who have been pushing our team around, for at least a couple of years.

A game that has no bearing on the standings, is a perfect time to send this message, rather than in a game that might have playoff implications for us.

Foo was their last regular re call. 

If you believe sending a message can carry over a season sure but I don't. Plus, didn't they win the game? Think that sends a bigger message if that is your goal. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

It was a decision that could have been made some time ago.  Send down Bart, who hadn't played since Feb. 3rd.  Bring up Prout to slot into games against heavyweight teams.  Doesn;t have to play 15 minutes.

Some teams like to take free shots at your stars.  The Oilers are a good example.  Whether it's Kassian or Lucic or Khaira or Larsson with a big hit, there is no pushback.  Or Perry or Manson from Anaheim.  Or Haley?  Are we going to send out Ferland to fight every time?  Ask Hathaway to scrap?  Hamonic?  I know the game has changed, but there are teams that think they are tough and want to throw their weight around.  Having a guy that draw in for those times isn't a bad idea.

Last night Gio was slashed with a 2 hander, Smith was slashed at and Gaudreau was hacked multiple times.  Nobody stood up.     

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It was a decision that could have been made some time ago.  Send down Bart, who hadn't played since Feb. 3rd.  Bring up Prout to slot into games against heavyweight teams.  Doesn;t have to play 15 minutes.

Some teams like to take free shots at your stars.  The Oilers are a good example.  Whether it's Kassian or Lucic or Khaira or Larsson with a big hit, there is no pushback.  Or Perry or Manson from Anaheim.  Or Haley?  Are we going to send out Ferland to fight every time?  Ask Hathaway to scrap?  Hamonic?  I know the game has changed, but there are teams that think they are tough and want to throw their weight around.  Having a guy that draw in for those times isn't a bad idea.

Last night Gio was slashed with a 2 hander, Smith was slashed at and Gaudreau was hacked multiple times.  Nobody stood up.     

After trade deadline Flames only are allowed 4 callups.

Regular call ups and send downs are restricted or eliminated. 

33 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

After trade deadline Flames only are allowed 4 callups.

Regular call ups and send downs are restricted or eliminated. 

At the time, which is what I am alluding to, it was before the TDL.  Bart hadn't played since Feb. 3rd.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Having a guy that draw in for those times isn't a bad idea.

If their was an injury down the stretch you probably want Bart in the lineup over Prout though. Prout isn't a very good NHL dman. 

Having a tough guy guy is not a bad idea so long as they can actually play and contribute over a regular shift. I'm all for that if they can play it if they can't, which is the case for most of the "tough guys" the flames have I think it's a waste of a roster space. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

If their was an injury down the stretch you probably want Bart in the lineup over Prout though. Prout isn't a very good NHL dman. 

Having a tough guy guy is not a bad idea so long as they can actually play and contribute over a regular shift. I'm all for that if they can play it if they can't, which is the case for most of the "tough guys" the flames have I think it's a waste of a roster space. 

Can;t say what Prout would look like as a Flame.  I do know what Bart brings and I'm not a fan.  

15 minutes ago, Carty said:

Image result for Bart Simpson Animated GIF Howl   http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/flames-praiset-seldom-used-blueliner-bartkowski-hes-been-outstanding-in-here

Sounds like he's a decent guy, just doesn't have much for hockey smarts...

What are they going to say?  He's a douchebag?

Just kidding.  Like Matty Franchise, there are players that are great personalities and team-first guys.  Doesn't mean they should play hockey on a nightly basis.

Watched him do his best Brodie imitation.  As expected, it ended up in the net.  Watched him log minutes in critical PK's.  Made for a long night.

Archived