Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

6 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

You forgot Brodie. He has made as many or more bonehead plays as any D on our team.

Which brings up the question. If "all the D" are making the stupid plays why do you insist it is an individual problem?

Because systems don't make decision and systems don't think, players do. 

Ill put it this way too, if the system was in fact broken the result would be a heck of a lot worse, smith or not smith. Smith gave the coyotes similar goaltending last year and it made no difference. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

You forgot Brodie. He has made as many or more bonehead plays as any D on our team.

Which brings up the question. If "all the D" are making the stupid plays why do you insist it is an individual problem?

That's what I am getting at.  How is it that vets make that many mistakes in one game?  

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Ill put it this way too, if the system was in fact broken the result would be a heck of a lot worse, smith or not smith. Smith gave the coyotes similar goaltending last year and it made no difference. 

You forget about all the seasons Smith also gave Coyotes good goaltending and carried the team sometimes into the playoffs. You can selectively pick all you want Cross but that is just picking 1 season that supports your opinions.

7 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

You forget about all the seasons Smith also gave Coyotes good goaltending and carried the team sometimes into the playoffs. You can selectively pick all you want Cross but that is just picking 1 season that supports your opinions.

Smith only carried the Coyotes in the playoffs once.

3 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Smith went to the playoffs once and in fact Coyotes drafted in the top 10 more than they went to the playoffs. Who is selectively picking their points?

14 hours ago, cross16 said:

I disagree, it is simply hockey that is not being played. Ever team has a system a structure for breakouts. From my eye GG WANTS a 5 man movement but that doesn't work and now we see the extended pass, the east/west bullSatoshi Nakamoto that creates nothing but turnovers. I see our d panic to much especially Brodie and Hamilton. If GG wanted possession they sure are in a huge hurry to get rid of the puck. The inability of our D to move the puck out of the zone is in part of forwards not in the right position. It wasn't Blockchaining hard to see Dallas send two guys in on our D, you than need to adapt mid game, our coach can't, he is to reliant of video.  Asstiants work the line ups and coach adapts to the game, our simply has no club mid game

This is a big week coming up for the team, hopefully GG has the boys ready.

Tuesday TOR- The next 11 Stanley Cup Champions (sarcasm obviously) are coming to town, really hope we can take it to them.

Thursday ARI- This is a trap game sandwiched right after TOR and before EDM. Needless to say this is one we need and should win, but if we are looking past it and ahead to EDM the 'Yotes will come in and take 2 from us.

Saturday EDM- Boy do we ever owe the Oilers a beating. They rubbed our noses in it opening night as well as last season. However the tables have turned, we need to show them how much better we are than them.

Willing to wait wait until the Christmas break to see if Gully's systems gel into an elite team.

If not by then, I will join the "off with his head" crowd.

22 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Tuesday TOR- The next 11 Stanley Cup Champions (sarcasm obviously) are coming to town, really hope we can take it to them.

Not sarcasm. Leafs fans "believe" but unfortunately they have to share those 11 with the Oilers whose fans also "believe".

Thursday ARI- This is a trap game sandwiched right after TOR and before EDM. Needless to say this is one we need and should win, but if we are looking past it and ahead to EDM the 'Yotes will come in and take 2 from us.

I think Mr. Smith will have something to say about taking 2 from us.

Saturday EDM- Boy do we ever owe the Oilers a beating. They rubbed our noses in it opening night as well as last season. However the tables have turned, we need to show them how much better we are than them.

I am hoping this is the game that causes untold numbers of Oiler fans to jump off the bandwagon resulting in mass casualties.

Also, our generational player Jagr (actually several generations) wasn't around for the opener. so there's that.

1 hour ago, Pyromancer said:

Willing to wait wait until the Christmas break to see if Gully's systems gel into an elite team.

If not by then, I will join the "off with his head" crowd.

I have to think something was said between games in COL because our guys played a good all round game. I didn't realize COL had such a fast skating team and our guys stepped up and matched the intensity. Rittich played well and I think the team pulled together to play well in front of him.

1 hour ago, Pyromancer said:

I am hoping this is the game that causes untold numbers of Oiler fans to jump off the bandwagon resulting in mass casualties.

Also, our generational player Jagr (actually several generations) wasn't around for the opener. so there's that.

There's a lot different things now over game 1.

Glass, Hathaway and Stajan are not regulars now.

The Bart experiment should essentially be over

I have watched quite a few games from all teams the last little while and one thing I am starting to see is the advantage of is having a LD and RD pairing. GG is correct in this and I am starting to really see the advantages. It is amazing how many pucks get past the D when they are on the wrong side.

29 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I have watched quite a few games from all teams the last little while and one thing I am starting to see is the advantage of is having a LD and RD pairing. GG is correct in this and I am starting to really see the advantages. It is amazing how many pucks get past the D when they are on the wrong side.

What i've found funny about this "criticism" is just about every team in the league is trying to build their team this way. I've never understood why people want to harp on Gulutzan for something that is becoming the league norm. 

The Canadian Olympic team in Sochi was built the same way and took arguably lesser talents because they insisted on the LH-RH pairings. It logical, if you can get it. 

36 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

biggest issue i had was the stubborness and strict enhearing to this and only this; when we did not have the personel in place "last" year to even try to do this without screwing up all pairings. Seriously at beggining of last who did we have for the right side? (wouldnt try kulak cause left was full but right was full of crap

handedness should not take precedence over ability (if remotely close that fine to let handedness take precedence, but look at the right D we had last year (no stone / no hamonic)

that where the hate for adhearance to handedness is coming from.

This year you do not hear all that many complaining (since BT went and got personel) that at least allows us to field 3 pairings that dont totally suck (insert brodie/hamonic joke here - even though i being patient there)

On 2017-11-22 at 7:16 PM, cross16 said:

There is a lot I like about Gulutzan, but his "development" of Bennett has become indefensible. Highest drafted player ever and the flames and basically throwing it away. 

Very sad. 

Look, GG aside, when Bennett first arrived it was clear as day he was a one man show and was very poor at utilizing the rest of his line mates.  That hasn’t changed.  Until it does he’ll never reach his projected potential.  As a coach, and as fans, don’t we have a responsibility to be honest about what he is and stop blaming the team just because he is the team’s top pick ever?  If Bennett doesn’t come around the pick was a mistake.

4 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Look, GG aside, when Bennett first arrived it was clear as day he was a one man show and was very poor at utilizing the rest of his line mates.  That hasn’t changed.  Until it does he’ll never reach his projected potential.  As a coach, and as fans, don’t we have a responsibility to be honest about what he is and stop blaming the team just because he is the team’s top pick ever?  If Bennett doesn’t come around the pick was a mistake.

Don't agree. An organization has a responsibility to help develop a player to which includes putting him a position to be successful. Flames have not done that with Bennett 

What depresses me is the poor d coverage, lack of creativity, piss poor PK, PP. There is no intensity , no physical play. We have got to be the worst team for turnovers and we constantly look 1 step behind the play S-L-O-W.  You can call out the players to a small degree but this is 100% coaching and teaching, that falls on Gully.

12 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

What depresses me is the poor d coverage, lack of creativity, piss poor PK, PP. There is no intensity , no physical play. We have got to be the worst team for turnovers and we constantly look 1 step behind the play S-L-O-W.  You can call out the players to a small degree but this is 100% coaching and teaching, that falls on Gully.

Do you just wait till Calgary is losing to show say that you don't like GG, because when they win (which is most of the time) it's cricket's from you.

So now for the things you got wrong (which is a lot), 5v5 they are the 8th best team at goals against at 2.1. Calgary is 9th in the league for PP% at 22.2%. Edmonton and Arizona have the most hits in the league, I will let you look up where they are in the standings. Calgary has committed the 10th fewest turnovers.

The PK has struggled but is starting to trend in the right direction now. 

13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Do you just wait till Calgary is losing to show say that you don't like GG, because when they win (which is most of the time) it's cricket's from you.

So now for the things you got wrong (which is a lot), 5v5 they are the 8th best team at goals against at 2.1. Calgary is 9th in the league for PP% at 22.2%. Edmonton and Arizona have the most hits in the league, I will let you look up where they are in the standings. Calgary has committed the 10th fewest turnovers.

The PK has struggled but is starting to trend in the right direction now. 

Take all the stats you wish the truth is with out the play of 2 guys we are no where near a playoff spot.  Reality is we lose the next 2 where are we than? It's concerning as there is no consistency of play and the struggles are real for multiple players. You know as well as I the longer the season goes the tougher it gets. It would be fine if there was some form of improvement, but the eye test indicates other wise. Your numbers game and video analysis are dangerous things, coaches/gm/players get to reliant on it and all forms of nature talent go south.

23 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Take all the stats you wish the truth is with out the play of 2 guys we are no where near a playoff spot.  Reality is we lose the next 2 where are we than? It's concerning as there is no consistency of play and the struggles are real for multiple players. You know as well as I the longer the season goes the tougher it gets. It would be fine if there was some form of improvement, but the eye test indicates other wise. Your numbers game and video analysis are dangerous things, coaches/gm/players get to reliant on it and all forms of nature talent go south.

I provided you with facts and you come back with your eye test, sorry if I don't trust your test, the fact that Calgary is 8-4-1 in their last 13 says your eye test is wrong.

When you take you two best players out of a lineup yes it is hard to be in a playoff spot. See: Anaheim Ducks. 

Bad game coming off a generally solid, and long road trip, is certainly overrreacting to make claims that they are that awful. Consistency a bit of an issue, but generally the Flames are playing solid. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I provided you with facts and you come back with your eye test, sorry if I don't trust your test, the fact that Calgary is 8-4-1 in their last 13 says your eye test is wrong.

The Flames next 6 games are gravy to a Wild Card team--- Home ARI, Home EDM, H PHI, At TOR, AT MTL, H Van. Lets see how GG gets the boys prepared for at least 8-10 points out of 12. December 10th the facts in my opinion will determine GG's fate.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Don't agree. An organization has a responsibility to help develop a player to which includes putting him a position to be successful. Flames have not done that with Bennett 

That statement is true, but it doesn't JUST apply to Bennett.  You have to look at all of the players and this idea that Bennett deserves special treatment because he was a high pick, versus other high picks and the team as a whole doesn't hold up.  Bennett has had many, many different opportunities, but the bottom line is to improve the team and not just a fan-favourite player.  Bennett seems to have improved defensively since being drafted but pretty much has regressed in all other areas.  If that is all he can do its on him.  We need to stop providing excuses for him and others, e.g. Lazar, Brouwer, Stajan, Brodie...  Now, some coaches and teams treat players differently than others and some ways work better than others but ultimately the player has the biggest responsibility to adapt, just like in a real job.  Enough of this millennial modelly-coddling bs.  

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

You like the fancy numbers and stats which are great but can be manipulated to suit a purpose. Hey if Gully gives you that warm fuzzy feeling great, I do not share your views. Hey how about this stat JG 0-0-0 for points in the last 2 games, or Smitty's last 2 games what his save percentage, and to prove to point we are 1-2-1 in the past four games, take the loser point out we are 1-3. As mentioned earlier stats can be used to prove either side.

8 hours ago, redfire11 said:

The Flames next 6 games are gravy to a Wild Card team--- Home ARI, Home EDM, H PHI, At TOR, AT MTL, H Van. Lets see how GG gets the boys prepared for at least 8-10 points out of 12. December 10th the facts in my opinion will determine GG's fate.

I think you fans that want GG gone are going to be disappointed . I too don't think this team has played its best hockey yet but they winning enough games as they work through some things.

Archived