Ovechkin becoming a legacy in the NHL

conundrumed

Much as the title says.

Many have been anti-Ovechkin for a variety of reasons throughout his career, but his career numbers are getting very serious, and he looks like he has no intention of stalling.

Have you loosened your opinion on Ovechkin through the years?

Importantly also, is this his year to hoist a cup?

Career numbers better than Iggy.

Why would he stall, he is only 30.

He has a few more years before his numbers will begin to fall off.

Until he actually wins the cup that will remain his legacy.

Without the cup does not diminish his accomplishments but like Iggy it won't be a part of his legacy unless he does win it.

Ovechkin has taken way too much flak over the years. The truth of th ematter is this guy is going to to go down as one of the best goal scorers of all time. He is on pace to finish in the top 10 in goals and he will have done it in an era were goal scoring is almost at all time lows. 

Sure you can question his leadership and you can question you ability to build a team around him, but IMO you've never been able to questions that this guy is one of he best goal scorers ever. 

Stanley cup differences aside, in many ways he reminds me of Jagr.

Incredibly talented but slightly immature in his youth, most of that talent wasted.

As he gets older, he Starts to finally take the sport seriously, and mature personally and professionally (somewhat).

That's when we realize how talented he really is....when we see his ability to keep getting better when he should be slowing down.

• 2 weeks later...

Very talented. Very good at scoring. Possibly the best all time other than Wayne if you consider the era he's doing it in. 

But not likeable. Not a great leader. Not someone that's been a good choice to build around for a cup (so far anyway). 

Would I want him on a team? Yes. Would I have him as a captain? No. 

He'll be a legend of the league. Just not a likeable one. And that's fine. 

Very talented. Very good at scoring. Possibly the best all time other than Wayne if you consider the era he's doing it in. 

But not likeable. Not a great leader. Not someone that's been a good choice to build around for a cup (so far anyway). 

Would I want him on a team? Yes. Would I have him as a captain? No. 

He'll be a legend of the league. Just not a likeable one. And that's fine.

I don't see how you think he's not likeable, I've heard no one say anything other then he's funny, maybe a tad bit selfish about his offence that has changed and look at the caps under trotz this year.

I don't see how you think he's not likeable, I've heard no one say anything other then he's funny, maybe a tad bit selfish about his offence that has changed and look at the caps under trotz this year.

I concur. As they've always drawn a parallel between he and Crosby, I've always found him to be infinitely more likeable.

Love.

I concur. As they've always drawn a parallel between he and Crosby, I've always found him to be infinitely more likeable.

Love.

I am the opposite. I have always like Crosby, and until recently I never cared for Ovechkin.

For me the difference is that Crosby plays the game to win, where as Ovechkin plays the game to score goals.

Early in his career Ovechkin was one of the dirtiest hitters in the league.

All in all he just never seemed to take the game serious.

I respect the fact that he is one of the greatest goal scorers ever, but I was never a fan.

I am the opposite. I have always like Crosby, and until recently I never cared for Ovechkin.

For me the difference is that Crosby plays the game to win, where as Ovechkin plays the game to score goals.

Early in his career Ovechkin was one of the dirtiest hitters in the league.

All in all he just never seemed to take the game serious.

I respect the fact that he is one of the greatest goal scorers ever, but I was never a fan.

It's hard to hate a Maritimer.   ;)

There is always that.

I did live and grow up in and around Cole Harbour for most of my life. So I do have a soft spot for Crosby and MacKinnon for that reason.

Me too.  Well Dartmouth, actually.  Spent half of my life near MicMac Mall, then out next to Forest Hills.  Only been in Alberta for the last 6 years.  

I've always been a huge Ovechkin fan, more so than Crosby because of his playstyle. He plays with far more physicality, hits hard, fights, scores. Can't help but love it (And don't get me wrong, Crosby is an amazing player, but I've always been more fond of the guys who run through players, and play a far more physical game while being effective).

As far as his reputation, a big one I always found odd was "He disappears in the playoffs." I've watched a lot of Caps games in the playoffs, and he is probably one of the few players they've consistently had who leaves it all out there and tries. Not to mention 70 points in 72 playoff games, I fail to see how that is disappearing. I feel that if he wins the cup a lot of the criticisms about him will stop happening.

As far as being a player you can build around, I do believe you could around Ovi. But like with any team, you can't build around just one guy, but more of a core. I believe Washington has that core and the window for a couple years still (With Ovi, Backstrom, Kuznetzov as forwards, Carlson and Alzner on D and Holtby in net). And the most important thing with him, is while he isn't a guy I'd throw out there on the PK, he has gotten significantly better in the defensive zone (not hugely beneficial, but not a liability as he would have been even 5 years ago).

There is always that.

I did live and grow up in and around Cole Harbour for most of my life. So I do have a soft spot for Crosby and MacKinnon for that reason.

Me too.  Well Dartmouth, actually.  Spent half of my life near MicMac Mall, then out next to Forest Hills.  Only been in Alberta for the last 6 years.  

I lived in Oakfield on the Old Truro Highway between Grand Lake and Enfield from 1972 - 1977.

It was a great time & place to be a teenager.

Archived