Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

The other RW that we probably don't mention enough is Pribyl or is it Prybil? Anyway he's in a contract year, has good size but just hasn't found his game in NA yet. I'm sure he's fully recovered from his knee injury so there's always a chance he comes out if nowhere and pits himself firmly in the discussion with the other prospects on the cusp. 

16 hours ago, rickross said:

The other RW that we probably don't mention enough is Pribyl or is it Prybil? Anyway he's in a contract year, has good size but just hasn't found his game in NA yet. I'm sure he's fully recovered from his knee injury so there's always a chance he comes out if nowhere and pits himself firmly in the discussion with the other prospects on the cusp. 

It's Pribyl and yes he could and will need to in order to get serious consideration.

15 hours ago, rickross said:

Here's a little piece about Pribyl, if you like:

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/08/09/flamesnation-top-20-prospects-18-daniel-pribyl/

On 2017-08-15 at 0:02 PM, rickross said:

Much improved drafting rapport..like night and day. I remember not even bothering paying attention to the draft during the Sutter regime. I'd say Flames have done quite well so far, a few misses were drafting Hunter Smith over Christian Dvorak, I still like Dube but we could have also taken Taylor Raddysh last year, Mason Macdonald over Thatcher Demko...jury is still out on both goalies even though Demko is further ahead in his development. Also we drafted T. Wotherspoon over Nikita Kucherov!..Kucherov would have been a great RW to pair on the top line. 

Playing 20/20 draft hindsight can be depressing.  Why not cheer yourself up and congratulate the Flames on getting the best player of the draft with both Gaudreau and Monahan.  VERY impressive!

On 8/15/2017 at 0:02 PM, rickross said:

Much improved drafting rapport..like night and day. I remember not even bothering paying attention to the draft during the Sutter regime. I'd say Flames have done quite well so far, a few misses were drafting Hunter Smith over Christian Dvorak, I still like Dube but we could have also taken Taylor Raddysh last year, Mason Macdonald over Thatcher Demko...jury is still out on both goalies even though Demko is further ahead in his development. Also we drafted T. Wotherspoon over Nikita Kucherov!..Kucherov would have been a great RW to pair on the top line. 

Would you have freaked out if the Flames selected a Russian with a year in the MHL?  Probably.  

How about a player with 33 games n the OHL and 13 points?  Probably.

Demko could easily be the far better goalie, but he played behind a Johnny Hockey team in his rookie season.  Year one in the AHL, he was less than spectacular.

No point in looking at the 2016 draft picks, since only a handful has played any NHL at all.  Raddysh and Dube are both prospects with zero NHL experience. 

Dvorak is a really tricky one because he shredded his knee in his draft year. So not only were you taking a player with limited experience you were taking a major injury risk. 

Good on the Coyotes for taking it but when it comes to hindsight you have to factor that in too. Could have easily gone the other way if his knee never recovered so that is a medical issue as much, or more, than a scouting one. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Dvorak is a really tricky one because he shredded his knee in his draft year. So not only were you taking a player with limited experience you were taking a major injury risk. 

Good on the Coyotes for taking it but when it comes to hindsight you have to factor that in too. Could have easily gone the other way if his knee never recovered so that is a medical issue as much, or more, than a scouting one. 

Yup.

Still doesn't make Smith a very good 2nd round pick, though.

• Like 1

So would Vincent Trockek, lol.

Draft picks are the biggest assets in this day and age. I'm worried with Hamonic, not gonna lie.

I'm always leery, the timelines on his game seeming to go in the wrong direction align with asking to be traded west.

I don't know jack squat so I'm left with assumptions, and about 7 different varieties.

My hope is he's going to be out there with Brodie and laugh, "wow, I can do this all season".

I believe BT is gambling on Hamonic, it's a good gamble, I agree with it.

I just think the Stone signing was an insurance policy on Hamonic.

It rubs me that way.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Draft picks are the biggest assets in this day and age. I'm worried with Hamonic, not gonna lie.

I'm always leery, the timelines on his game seeming to go in the wrong direction align with asking to be traded west.

I don't know jack squat so I'm left with assumptions, and about 7 different varieties.

My hope is he's going to be out there with Brodie and laugh, "wow, I can do this all season".

It rubs me that way.

I think Stone is a bit of a project.  A long term one, in case Hamonic doesn't stay beyond the three years.  Stone had a down year, but could become a true top 4 on this team in the future.  

I'm all for draft picks, but not every pick is a gong to be a homerun for a given team.  For every Dvorak, there is a Jimmy Hayes.  I wanted to draft Debrincat, but CHI took him after our pick traded to STL.  But, I am happy with Parsons, Dube and Fox.

It rubs me that way.

Hamonic is thrilled to be a Flame and back out West so I think his head should be in the right place. he has taken a few injuries the past few years but those can be a hazard of the trade for anyone. The top 4 talent is there but we do need him on the ice. In regards to having Stone sure he can back up any injury to Hamonic but I think the other reason is for our shallow depth for RHSD within the system. Makes sense and BT can always trade him if Andersson pushes his way onto the scene.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Nope not at all. Smith was at the time and remains, imo at least, a bad draft pick. I never liked that one. 

Smith was pretty much the result of Burkes mandate for more truculence at the time. Dvorak had good numbers even before he got injured. It's pure hindsight now but reuniting Dvorak/Tkachuk and maybe adding someone like Foo on the RW would have been a pretty exciting kid line

It rubs me that way.

You have every reason to be a bit skeptical with Hamonic, between injuries and regressive play its only right to have some apprehension. If he can stay healthy I think he can regain his form, Stone is still a nice option should Hamonic go down but yeah fingers crossed he can help elevate our defence to an elite level. 

21 hours ago, rickross said:

Smith was pretty much the result of Burkes mandate for more truculence at the time. Dvorak had good numbers even before he got injured. It's pure hindsight now but reuniting Dvorak/Tkachuk and maybe adding someone like Foo on the RW would have been a pretty exciting kid line

No he didn't. He missed almost his entire draft year. The following year he turned into a ninja.

They took Max Domi the year before (Knights teammate). Just spitballing, but in scouting Domi, they saw enough of Dvorak to be impressed. Or as happens also, they had a little birdie in their ear. Those can come from a few directions, even a "concerned parent", lol, or their scout REALLY hangs around the Knights.

At any rate, I doubt it was a lucky guess as it appears to be.

You want your scouts to be dangerous, their O scouting is exactly that.

"Hey everyone, stay on task. We have to convince Johnny C to take a yr of Datsyuk at $7.5 if Chychrun's still on the board".

ARI has been very crafty at getting really good O players. They're ripping it, I'd say.

Honourable mention:

Dylan Strome (aka not his older brother)

Brendan Perlini

Clayton Keller - was mere hours away from the OHL setting, playing in Michigan.

Everyone keeps saying ARI will be a bottom-feeder again this year. I have this really uneasy feeling about that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zima said:

Not much has been said about Mang in a long while that I can find so I thought this was a good pc of info on him it realy put a different light on his progress for me he is more than just a goal scorer.  http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-Cordell/On-Jankowski-Klimchuk-and-Mangiapane/202/86950

Martin St.Louis comes to mind when Mangiapane's name comes up, will he ever see a Flames jersey ?

In a swap of prospects I wonder if BT could do a deal for Daniel Sprong RW from PIT for Mangiapane LW, both may stand a better chance to see the NHL sooner.

• Like 2

I'm still pretty high on Mangianpane's chances, I think he could fill a spot as a decent 2 way bottom 6 guy. He has good speed and skill but he does good work along the boards, wins battles and is strong with possession. He's not our saviour but for a 6th round pick he's got the potential to be a steal. As much as the Flames prospect pool has improved we could use some more blue chip forwards to balance out our strength on D and in net. Jury is still out but out of our four 1st Rd 2013 picks only Monny has panned out. Poirier, Klimchuk and Shink are still in the mix but its a big contract year for them. Not sure if we could have afforded both Granlund and Baer at this point but they would have been nice pieces to have right now..i'm hoping Rasmus is ready to make his mark this season

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rickross said:

I'm still pretty high on Mangianpane's chances, I think he could fill a spot as a decent 2 way bottom 6 guy. He has good speed and skill but he does good work along the boards, wins battles and is strong with possession. He's not our saviour but for a 6th round pick he's got the potential to be a steal. As much as the Flames prospect pool has improved we could use some more blue chip forwards to balance out our strength on D and in net. Jury is still out but out of our four 1st Rd 2013 picks only Monny has panned out. Poirier, Klimchuk and Shink are still in the mix but its a big contract year for them. Not sure if we could have afforded both Granlund and Baer at this point but they would have been nice pieces to have right now..i'm hoping Rasmus is ready to make his mark this season

I don't miss Baertschi or Granlund to be honest. I like what people have to say about Mangiapane (Hawerchuk raves about him) however we have LWers out the gazoo and what I was suggesting was getting a similar RW talent back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2017 at 3:56 PM, MAC331 said:

I don't miss Baertschi or Granlund to be honest. I like what people have to say about Mangiapane (Hawerchuk raves about him) however we have LWers out the gazoo and what I was suggesting was getting a similar RW talent back.

Never liked the Granlund for Shinkaruk trade personally.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Never liked the Granlund for Shinkaruk trade personally.

It's one that's come back to haunt us, although we probably couldn't have afforded to keep Granlund on our current roster he's definitely proven to be a more serviceable NHLer than Shink so far. If Poirier and Shink get pulled of waivers tommorow I guess the fail is shared by both BT and Feaster. 

I think it's was a calculated risk trade that didn't work out but also resulted in no loss. Grandlund was a so/so 3rd liner on one of the worst teams in the NHL and I don't think he would have a top 9 spot here. Flames took a risk and it didn't pan out but that happens and if the situation came up again I would expect them to do it again. You need to take risks sometimes. 

I know others liked Granlund and that's fine but even watching him in Vancouver I don't see a top 9 player on a good team. I think the majority of his success last year was due to the fact he was put in roles that you wouldn't get on other teams and I really don't think he would have got the same opportunities here. It's too bad Shinkaruk was their target because I never liked him either but i also don't think Granlund had a lot of value when they dealt him.