Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

One down, Nygard to go.

May not be NHL bound to start the season, but ya never know,

Probably maks it less likely for a one year deal with Smith.

Maybe more likely theyll sign a 1yr insurance deal with smith to bridge another year with Rittich to eventually bring in the new guy or have Parsons or Gillies develop further to have them fight for a spot the year after next.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Maybe more likely theyll sign a 1yr insurance deal with smith to bridge another year with Rittich to eventually bring in the new guy or have Parsons or Gillies develop further to have them fight for a spot the year after next.

Since the new guy is one year, it seems like they need to figure out his NHL potential sooner than then.

I doubt we hang onto everyone.

Rittich - RFA

Smith - UFA

MacDonald - RFA

Gillies - signed for 19/20

Schneider - signed for 19/20

Zadidulin - signed for 19/20

That's a lot of guys to manage.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Since the new guy is one year, it seems like they need to figure out his NHL potential sooner than then.

I doubt we hang onto everyone.

Rittich - RFA

Smith - UFA

MacDonald - RFA

Gillies - signed for 19/20

Schneider - signed for 19/20

Zadidulin - signed for 19/20

That's a lot of guys to manage.

I agree, but to assume one of them can take over won’t work either. They’re all a chance, including Smith. I don’t want to re-sign Smith, I’d rather resign him. But a short one year could just be insurance so they have a tandem that’ll work. Then they hope the new guy will steal an NHL job.

14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree, but to assume one of them can take over won’t work either. They’re all a chance, including Smith. I don’t want to re-sign Smith, I’d rather resign him. But a short one year could just be insurance so they have a tandem that’ll work. Then they hope the new guy will steal an NHL job.

I'm just saying that if neither Rittich nor Zag nor Gillies can do the job, BT would be in the market.

Signing a declining goalie doesn't seem to make sense.

But that's just me at this point.

Smith could steal the MVP in the playoffs.

In which case, you have that option for next year.

If you want to.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm just saying that if neither Rittich nor Zag nor Gillies can do the job, BT would be in the market.

If you want to.

Yup, and for me, just because I think it’s the route they might go doesn’t mean I agree with it or want it to happen. They just seem so enamoured by Smith’s ability to play the puck and seemingly lack of confidence in Rittich that it’s possible. Smith kinda makes me sea sick, he’s so rocky whith his play. It’s been better but he shows signs of lacking confidence once in awhile.

there might be summer options but we thought that last summer, so I don’t know how they’re going to approach it.

After looking at some draft rankings and seeing Raphael Lavoie being in our range. I really hope we hold onto our pick and that he available. 

Lavoie is 6'4", he can skate, has good hands, he can play all 3 forward positions, he shoots right and has a good shot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Yup, and for me, just because I think it’s the route they might go doesn’t mean I agree with it or want it to happen. They just seem so enamoured by Smith’s ability to play the puck and seemingly lack of confidence in Rittich that it’s possible. Smith kinda makes me sea sick, he’s so rocky whith his play. It’s been better but he shows signs of lacking confidence once in awhile.

there might be summer options but we thought that last summer, so I don’t know how they’re going to approach it.

I think are going to pump tires no matter what they really think.

No starter even announced, though I don;t know why you have to anyway.

I personally like when Smith plays big and mean.

Don't mind the short passes to the D, or even longer ones with no traffic.

His play behind the net bothers me.

Disruptive and risky.

On another note, I did a quick comp between our Rusky and the Oilers goalie.

Similar stats in the KHL.

Smaller than Koskinen, by a wide margin.

Only 6'2" and 176 or that's what they say anyway.

Koskinen is 6'7" and 202, which is tiny for that height.

Big difference is age.  One guy is 30, the other 23.

Could be a good find.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If you want to.

Nice 180 you did there. :lol:

Welcome back from the dark side.

If Smith can't do it then we have Ritter for clean up. The job will get done regardless.

And the lotto balls dropped.

NJ 1st

NYR 2nd

CHI 3rd

COL 4th

LA 5th

DET 6th

BUFF 7th

EDM 8th 

ANA 9th

VAN 10th

PHI 12th

MIN 13th

FLA 13th 

ARI 14th

MTL 15th 

EDM loses the 2nd overall by beating CGY in a meaningless game.  Seems like Taylor Hall is NJ's lucky charm now, no longer in EDM.  :lol::D

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

Nice 180 you did there. :lol:

Welcome back from the dark side.

If Smith can't do it then we have Ritter for clean up. The job will get done regardless.

Gotta cover all the basis.

Not saying I believe it for a minute, but anything is possible.

BTW, I will remain on the Rittich train until he proves otherwise.

Smith may or may not get the wins we need.

Will give him props if he's the guy that does it for us.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Was committed to the NCAA, can't play college now obviously. Would think we see him in the CHL next season, although he has yet to be selected in the import draft

He is an interesting player, good combination of skill and grit, problem is can he control himself from going over the line.

He isn't ready for the AHL, so hopefully he can find a CHL team. The other option is for him to go over seas and play.

26 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He is an interesting player, good combination of skill and grit, problem is can he control himself from going over the line.

He isn't ready for the AHL, so hopefully he can find a CHL team. The other option is for him to go over seas and play.

I’m hoping he’s in the CHL although he’d be an overager next season as a 99 birth year. Europe like you mentioned is probably more likely which is unfortunate because I think his game suits the NA style and I think staying here would be best for him 

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I doubt he heads east.

He's old enough for tha AHL, so I assume you mean not enough exerience.

11 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Wouldn't he be an import and an over-ager in the CHL next season?

If so, that would take up 2 roster spots.

In that case, I'd bet on him playing overseas for a year.

Thats corect. He also has not been selected in the import draft so I don't believe he is actually eligible to play in the CHL. I believe it was Francis that mentioned that he was having issues with the exams so it was looking like he may not be eligible. Looks like the flames may have run out of options and had to sign him and turn him pro. I think he will be in either the ECHL or AHL next year.