Flames at Wing

conundrumed

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's important to remember that Monahan became an instant center because the spot was readily available.

But having said that regarding Bennett, I look at Galchenyuk being a top CHL center that the Habs have been using at LW.

It seems like moving him to C is getting further and further away to the point many are starting to wonder if it'll ever happen.

That's my worry with Bennett, it's a nice idea to let him learn from the wing, but there has to be a better strategy than the Habs are running with, where the idea seems to be stuck in the mud.

Based solely on Jankowski's dev camp, he may need a C spot in 2-3 years also.

So while many talk of how easy it is to get wingers, it still has to happen. No matter how good a C can be, Getzlaf still has a Perry and Toews still has a Hossa etc.

We are stronger at RW then LW. Hudler, Frolik, Jones is actually a really strong top 9.

That's how I read it too, to the point if we were involved in a trade, we may want to get a winger on the left rather than the right side??

Bennett plays a lot more like a winger then Monahan does.  Monahan is your stereotypical centre, he is built in the Toews mold.  I could see Bennett play C or wing even long term.  Especially looking at the Flames strength at C.  

I know C is more valuable so the thought of playing our highest draft pick ever at wing is a scary thought.  I think you will see him spend time at both positions this season as they feel him out.  But I don't think him playing the wing is the end of the world.  

It is written in my book... :)

Backlund is a defensive, possession driving center.  His primary focus is not scoring goals.  Do we really want to develop Bennett on that line?

As you develop players such as Bennett it can't hurt him to play with someone as responsible as Backlund. I don't think Backlund has given up on his offensive abilities. Eventually I see Backlund as our 3rd line C. 

Bennett plays a lot more like a winger then Monahan does.  Monahan is your stereotypical centre, he is built in the Toews mold.  I could see Bennett play C or wing even long term.  Especially looking at the Flames strength at C.  

I know C is more valuable so the thought of playing our highest draft pick ever at wing is a scary thought.  I think you will see him spend time at both positions this season as they feel him out.  But I don't think him playing the wing is the end of the world.  

I'm not sure, because if you reverse the roles, change out how they came onto the team, we might be talking about Monahan on the wing.

If I'm putting him at left wing, I'm thinking Bennett-Monahan-Hudler.

Gaudreau-Backlund a possession line, with Frolik to empty the trash?

All in wonder. Point being, if Bennett's on the team, teach him top 6 trial-by-fire, we expect top 6. If he isn't, let him build it in the A.

It frightens me a bit that we've already decided how good Bennett is.

I live by the rule: Don't let expectation ruin the moment.

I'm not sure, because if you reverse the roles, change out how they came onto the team, we might be talking about Monahan on the wing.

If I'm putting him at left wing, I'm thinking Bennett-Monahan-Hudler.

Gaudreau-Backlund a possession line, with Frolik to empty the trash?

All in wonder. Point being, if Bennett's on the team, teach him top 6 trial-by-fire, we expect top 6. If he isn't, let him build it in the A.

It frightens me a bit that we've already decided how good Bennett is.

I live by the rule: Don't let expectation ruin the moment.

My assessment of Bennett / Monahan isn't based on how good they are.  It is based on the style of play.  

I think Bennett will be on the Flames because I think he will earn a spot.  In fact, when he forced us to play him more then 10 games I think he earned a spot.  Besides, sending him to the A isn't an option.  It is the Flames or junior.  

I do not believe you need to develop players by anointing them in fire.  Brodie wasn't developed in the top 2.  Monahan wasn't developed (initially) on the top line.  Sheltering prospects and putting them in positions to be successful is part of the development path.  

As for where he is developed, I don't have a strong preference.  It might be at wing, it might be at C.  It might be with any of the line mates.  Personally, my forward line currently is:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Hudler

Backlund-Monahan-Frolik

Byron-Stajan-Jones

Ferland-Bouma-Colborne

But that isn't so much a development decision as it is lines I like working together.  If Bennett isn't ready then moving him to Stajan's left wing and moving Backlund back to C makes sense.  At least to me.  

We could start Bennett on wing but IMO that's a waste. He was drafted as 1 of the best 3 centers in his draft year. He's still that.

Teams with a really good & deep situation @ center can afford to start those like Seguin @ wing. (Playoff introduction th the NHL aside) We have Monahan who in my eyes is a dang good 2C, Backlund who tops out as a #3 & Stajan who can play up & down the roster. That's followed by a bunch of AHLers & draftees that might replace 1 of the 3 I mention.

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking we are deep enough @ center that we can turn Bennett into a winger. We aren't.

Worst case scenario start Sam @ 3C (he has the shutdown cred) & use Backlund or Stajan @ 2C.

In the future, I see Bennett/Monahan as 1/2 C (In what order remains to be determined). And Backlund as the 3C. Next season I see Mony as the 1C, Backlund as the 2C and Bennett (assuming he makes the team out of camp) as the 3C (in the way Mony was the 3C his first year). By end of season we could see Backlund/Bennett as 2A and 2B getting similar ice-time. But until heproves otherwise, Mony is our number 1, and he's done a great job so far. If in the long run Mony remains the 1C and Bennett the 2C, I'm okay with that (Mony reminds me a lot of Toews as a 1C, not a lot of flashy numbers, but defensively responsible and can set up plays).

We could start Bennett on wing but IMO that's a waste. He was drafted as 1 of the best 3 centers in his draft year. He's still that.

Teams with a really good & deep situation @ center can afford to start those like Seguin @ wing. (Playoff introduction th the NHL aside) We have Monahan who in my eyes is a dang good 2C, Backlund who tops out as a #3 & Stajan who can play up & down the roster. That's followed by a bunch of AHLers & draftees that might replace 1 of the 3 I mention.

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking we are deep enough @ center that we can turn Bennett into a winger. We aren't.

Worst case scenario start Sam @ 3C (he has the shutdown cred) & use Backlund or Stajan @ 2C.

So would look at these lines ?

Gaudreau, Monahan, Hudler

Raymond, Bennett, Frolik

Bouma, Backlund, Jones

Bollig, Stajan, Jooris ( with Ferland in the wings )

You are totally forgetting this year's picks, namely Mangiapane (JH2?) who could slot in to LW in 2-3 years, and Karnaukov (RW/LW) in similar times? Both could be high potential, whose ceilings we'll get a much better picture of in another year. You've also ignored Jankowski who I personally think will ceiling out as Top6, and Deblouw who is kind of the forgotten man but will be on the team in another year (AHL/Bottom6?).

You are right. I didn't address them.

Its way too early to be Slotting in guys who were just drafted. Is it possible that guys can make it their first year? Yes.  (See Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau, Jooris) Is it likely? Not very. Probably Monahan and Jooris wouldn't have if we hadn't been full rebuild.

I did forget Jankowski though. That's another option for the top 6 which is good.

But my general point stands that we don't need to go wing-hunting any time in the near future now that we have Frolik.

Gaudreau - Monohan - Hudler
Bouma - Backlund - Jones
Ferland - Bennett - Frolik
Colborne - Stajan - Jooris

That is a very well rounded lineup, and Hartley will be able to run four lines consistently. Then next year Poirier can take Jones' spot, maybe Hathaway or Smith can take Jooris' spot. Klimchuk may be able to push for Bouma or Colbornes spot. Then like has been said Arnold will take Stajans spot, and most likely Jankowski steps in for Backlund, both of those can be 2-3 seasons away. But that is a healthy turn over, and the quality is either staying on par or getting a bit better.

Personally, I think this is the most likely lineup that we see next year (plus whoever gets called up for injury).

Ferland and Bouma may wind up reversing spots pending scoring touch and chemistry. Same for Hudler and Frolik. But I'd bet heavily on that being the opening lineup.

You are right. I didn't address them.

Its way too early to be Slotting in guys who were just drafted. Is it possible that guys can make it their first year? Yes.  (See Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau, Jooris) Is it likely? Not very. Probably Monahan and Jooris wouldn't have if we hadn't been full rebuild.

I did forget Jankowski though. That's another option for the top 6 which is good.

But my general point stands that we don't need to go wing-hunting any time in the near future now that we have Frolik.

Personally, I think this is the most likely lineup that we see next year (plus whoever gets called up for injury).

Ferland and Bouma may wind up reversing spots pending scoring touch and chemistry. Same for Hudler and Frolik. But I'd bet heavily on that being the opening lineup.

Bouma is not a 2nd line winger, maybe 3rd, 4th for sure. We have to be realistic here,several players had career years. Bouma could be the next Bickell good for one invisible once he gets the contract. I could see a line of Bennett Backs Frolick as they both drive the play. I also am one that see Bennett converted to LW. I like Ferland Backs Jones were good as well in a 3rd line role. I can take or leave Bouma, he is good as a bottom 6 guy but he is not a top 6 guy.

I will stick with Bennett starting as the 2nd scoring line C, getting preferred zone starts and matchups.  We can protect one line, so developing him as a true center this season is imperative.  It makes sense to play either Hudler or Frolik with him for the experience. 

If Poirier doesn't land a spot on the starting roster, I would suggest something like this:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler (maintain that top line prowess)

Ferland-Bennett-Frolik (Frolik helps with possession, and this line becomes a good scoring line)

Bouma-Backlund-Jones (Shutdown/hard hitting)

Colborne-Stajan-Jooris (Energy line with 2 centers)

If Poirier makes the opening lineup:

Bouma-Backlund-Frolik (Shutdown with good secondary scoring)

Ferland-Bennett-Poirier (youth line that plays in-your-fac hockey, with some elite scoring)

Colborne-Stajan-Jones (Energy line with 2 centers)

What worries me though, is the usage of Bouma.  He is not a good option for 2nd line.  He does have finish, but I worry that he brings down the line.  Shutdown and PK, no problem, but he shot way about his career SH%.  I would be nice if we had a top 6 LW.

Gaudreau - Monohan - Hudler

Bouma - Backlund - Jones

Ferland - Bennett - Frolik

Colborne - Stajan - Jooris

That is a very well rounded lineup, and Hartley will be able to run four lines consistently. Then next year Poirier can take Jones' spot, maybe Hathaway or Smith can take Jooris' spot. Klimchuk may be able to push for Bouma or Colbornes spot. Then like has been said Arnold will take Stajans spot, and most likely Jankowski steps in for Backlund, both of those can be 2-3 seasons away. But that is a healthy turn over, and the quality is either staying on par or getting a bit better.

I like this lineup also, but we need to see the signings and trades that happen this summer as this lineup leaves several players waiver-exposed and no room for prospect graduation. We'll see.

I will stick with Bennett starting as the 2nd scoring line C, getting preferred zone starts and matchups.  We can protect one line, so developing him as a true center this season is imperative.  It makes sense to play either Hudler or Frolik with him for the experience. 

If Poirier doesn't land a spot on the starting roster, I would suggest something like this:

Ferland-Bennett-Frolik (Frolik helps with possession, and this line becomes a good scoring line)

Bouma-Backlund-Jones (Shutdown/hard hitting)

Colborne-Stajan-Jooris (Energy line with 2 centers)

If Poirier makes the opening lineup:

Bouma-Backlund-Frolik (Shutdown with good secondary scoring)

Ferland-Bennett-Poirier (youth line that plays in-your-fac hockey, with some elite scoring)

Colborne-Stajan-Jones (Energy line with 2 centers)

What worries me though, is the usage of Bouma.  He is not a good option for 2nd line.  He does have finish, but I worry that he brings down the line.  Shutdown and PK, no problem, but he shot way about his career SH%.  I would be nice if we had a top 6 LW.

I don't like Bouma in top 6 role permanently either. He fills in admirably in that spot during injuries, but I also think he kind of brings down the line/linemates in the long run. I would honestly much rather have Colborne on Backlund's LW if in a top 6 role. Bouma is more effective as a bottom 6 guy.

^^^

I think highly of Bennett but would start him as #3 center.

I trust Stajan more than Backlund as #2.

Regardless Bennett earns his way to #2 & then #1.

I am torn with where to best start Bennett. I look at all the mucking around they did with Gaudreau on different line combinations and nothing really clicked until they put him with Monahan and Hudler. The move that got Frolik gives me the confidence to put Bennett on the 2nd line surrounded by some experience.

I am torn with where to best start Bennett. I look at all the mucking around they did with Gaudreau on different line combinations and nothing really clicked until they put him with Monahan and Hudler. The move that got Frolik gives me the confidence to put Bennett on the 2nd line surrounded by some experience.

Johnny's success started with Hudler.  When teamed up with Mony later in the season, they became a dominant line on the Flames and in the NHL.  We have and experienced, possession RW coming in, so I tend to think it would be good to build some chemistry with Bennett in his natural position.  Frolik is going to aid in scoring and defensive responsibility.  Right now, I think Ferland may be your best bet for LW.  The big body will help, and Ferlie will make sure nobody messes with Bennett.  You can give more minutes to Frolik by using him in both PP and PK's. 

I don't know why I always forget about Granlund, though.  Of any of our C's, he has had success playing on LW.

He seems to be a coach favorite, so he could get a LW spot on the 3rd or higher.  Maybe instead of Ferland, you put Granlund on LW with Bennett and Frolik.

Johnny's success started with Hudler.  When teamed up with Mony later in the season, they became a dominant line on the Flames and in the NHL.  We have and experienced, possession RW coming in, so I tend to think it would be good to build some chemistry with Bennett in his natural position.  Frolik is going to aid in scoring and defensive responsibility.  Right now, I think Ferland may be your best bet for LW.  The big body will help, and Ferlie will make sure nobody messes with Bennett.  You can give more minutes to Frolik by using him in both PP and PK's.

Yes I agree, it seems like a perfect blend which if it works gives you two strong and effective power lines.

I don't know why I always forget about Granlund, though.  Of any of our C's, he has had success playing on LW.

He seems to be a coach favorite, so he could get a LW spot on the 3rd or higher.  Maybe instead of Ferland, you put Granlund on LW with Bennett and Frolik.

Until Raymond is gone I see it being Raymond. Granlund does seem to get excluded but if they keep him I think LW is the way to go for him.

Personally I think Granlund is probably going to become GlenX version 2. Very similar style of play. But I think he's still a year away from the lineup. Too many are ahead of him right now.

Really, he's a 2nd or 3rd line guy. So he has to beat out one of Bouma (who just had a career year) or Ferlund (Who went beast mode in the playoffs) to get that LW spot.

I can definitely see him there eventually, but not yet. Give him another year's seasoning in the AHL and he may well take it from one of them.

I must say I do find the distrust of Bouma a little surprising.  Yes, he had a career year with an unreal shot percentage. We however don't know if thats a new trend (as shot percentage was what he worked on last summer), or a one-off.

Even as it is, most of us are slotting him in with Backlund and Jones as a shutdown line. While that is indeed listed 'second' on most of our lists, that's purely because most are slotting Ferlund and Frolik with Bennett and expecting them to start with more limited ice time (just like Johnny and Monahan did) before taking over second line duties. Possibly as early as mid season.

Bouma's likely place is the same as Backlund's. A shutdown third line that has good possession, but also has the ability to do some damage in the attacking zone. That though assumes that he regresses close to his career norms. If this past season becomes his new norm, I don't see why he wouldn't then project to a solid second liner.

I'd hardly say he brought his line down. He was4th in forwards with goals and points (behind guess which three), 5th in forwards with assists (Colborne beats him by 2), and third in forwards for +/- (beaten by Hudler and Gaudreau).

Yes, his shot % was 15.4%, which is high compared to his career average of 7ish but its about the same as Stajan's 15.2, so not entirely impossible if he's been working on it. Wouldn't count it out yet.

Statistically he may regress. But I'd wait and see before I write him off for being a potential top 6.

Bouma, Ferlund, Granlund, and a half-dozen others are competing for that spot. Bouma has done the most to show that he's capable of taking it. Lets see what happens this season and if he is capable of playing there.

Maybe instead of Ferland, you put Granlund on LW with Bennett and Frolik.

I agree, one player who's been largely forgotten is Granlund.

When Backlund was out of the lineup last season, Granlund came in and produced very well.  There's reason to believe Granlund can play a bigger role than what he's been given on the message boards, which is the 13th forward at best.  What i like most about Granlund - Bennett - Frolik is,

1. Bennett is playing Center.

2. Granlund can score and be defensively responsible on this line.

3. Frolik provides two kids with veteran leadership.

I agree, one player who's been largely forgotten is Granlund.

When Backlund was out of the lineup last season, Granlund came in and produced very well.  There's reason to believe Granlund can play a bigger role than what he's been given on the message boards, which is the 13th forward at best.  What i like most about Granlund - Bennett - Frolik is,

1. Bennett is playing Center.

2. Granlund can score and be defensively responsible on this line.

3. Frolik provides two kids with veteran leadership.

What I like about Granlund is that he has always been more of a sniper, but added to his toolbox last year defensive skills and some grit.  He isn't the biggest guy, but holds his own.  I think (my opinion) is that he is as talented as his brother, but like his brother, has not really discovered hi goal-scoring yet.

What I like about Granlund is that he has always been more of a sniper, but added to his toolbox last year defensive skills and some grit.  He isn't the biggest guy, but holds his own.  I think (my opinion) is that he is as talented as his brother, but like his brother, has not really discovered hi goal-scoring yet.

I think Granlund is the reason they moved Baertschi and do see him as a LW. He may get his chance this season.

Just focusing on the bottom 6 a bit, Ferland-Stajan-Jones was a good line in the playoffs last year. That might be a good line to keep together though it throws a bit of a monkey wrench into 2-4.

I don't like breaking up Johnny-Mony-Jiri due to "why break what's working".

That leaves me with 2 lines of uncertainty.

Raymond(Granlund)-Backlund-Frolik

Bouma-Bennett-Jooris

I much prefer Granlund over Raymond and I actually like that line.

Bennett's fast and hard-working, and those players can match intensity, though likely not skill.

And I have no idea which line is 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Which I guess means it's pretty balanced???

Archived