Off Season Predictions

travel_dude

Re-read that. Wideman & 2 or 3 of the above. That's what I meant by 2/3.

I hope Wideman for the cap space but would gladly trade the Dallas pick (be it late 1st or 2nd) & our 2nd along with that Florida 2nd. Then we can still trade Wideman in a separate trade if needed. Even if we retain up to 1.5 for that last year we have a better D cheaper until 2020.

Our top end 1st & Hamonic is apt to be better than our 1st & those 3 picks. Just like Hamilton > the 1st & pair of 2nds we gave up there.

Gotcha now and agree he would be worth trying to obtain.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off season predictions?

An expansion draft is announced by June 1, 2016.

Calgary does not add a #4 D.

Calgary does add a new starting Goalie.

The Flames protect:

Backlund, Bennett, Colborne, Frolik, Gaudreau, Monahan, & Stajan (NTC)

Brodie, Giordano (NTC), Hamilton

New starting Goalie

Las Vegas picks Lance Bouma from Calgary in the expansion draft.

Off season predictions?

The Flames protect:

New starting Goalie

To be honest if we had Hamonic, Hamilton, Brodie and Giordano I wouldn't worry about Backlund or Frolik. In two years we may have Jankowski or Arnold who could replace Backlund at a better cost for 3rd line players. Same for Frolik, we may be happy to lose him at 4.5M and falling down to 3rd line use.

Question: so if a player has a NTC he cannot be one of the unprotected players ?

Off season predictions?

The Flames protect:

New starting Goalie

I guess one thing that teams can do is buy out a player they don't want to be stuck protecting (NTC player).  In fact, it may be something that the NHL offers teams, similar to the compliance buyouts.  

Off season predictions?

The Flames protect:

New starting Goalie

Expansion draft is announced May 15, 2016.

Calgary trades Wideman, retaining $1mm.

Calgary does NOT add a new starting Goalie.  Re-signs Ramo and Ortio.

The Flames protect:

Backlund, Bennett, Colborne, Frolik, Gaudreau, Monahan & Ferland

Brodie, Giordano, Hamilton

Gillies

Las Vegas picks Lance Bouma from Calgary in the expansion draft.  Quebec picks Kari Ramo in the expansion draft.  

I guess one thing that teams can do is buy out a player they don't want to be stuck protecting (NTC player).  In fact, it may be something that the NHL offers teams, similar to the compliance buyouts.  

Good point.

I doubt there will be anything similar to a compliance buyout though.

I do think if the NTC/NMCs have to be protected it will make GMs more open to retaining maximum salary if a team with loads of exempt ELCs as core & only unwanted players to shed comes calling.

This off-season any player asking for a NTC better be 1 heck of a player to get that on any contract with term.

Off season predictions?

The Flames protect:

New starting Goalie

No chance they protect Stajan. I also think you see Jokipakka or a younger player claimed well before Bouma. But otherwise I agree with most of this.

No chance they protect Stajan. I also think you see Jokipakka or a younger player claimed well before Bouma. But otherwise I agree with most of this.

No chance they want to protect Stajan, you mean.  IF NTC's are included, there isn't a lot of choice.  Buyout, trade or protect.

The TSN article clarified a bit .. NTC are exempt..NMC are subject to must protect..but still very unclear regarding UFA status.. the only player we potentially have to worry about is Wideman 

http://www.tsn.ca/nhlpa-won-t-stand-in-way-of-expansion-1.480529

It ain't official until the fat man sings.  I get the "sources" part, but I wonder about the logic.  A player that negotiated a NTC over a NMC is unprotected?  If it turns out that way, then it's cool with me.  We won't have to worry about Wideman; he will be gone.

The 25% part should be easy to hit.  

Johnny/Monahan = $14m

Gio/Hamilton/Brody = $17m

Done.

It ain't official until the fat man sings.  I get the "sources" part, but I wonder about the logic.  A player that negotiated a NTC over a NMC is unprotected?  If it turns out that way, then it's cool with me.  We won't have to worry about Wideman; he will be gone.

Johnny/Monahan = $14m

Done.

In a way it makes sense.. a NTC player can still be waived.. whereas a NMC player cannot .. and really the Expansion draft is just that , A waiver draft with only 1 (or maybe 2) teams participating 

Now, i still wont believe its true or possible until i see it in confirmed details, but , if it should happen that UFA still has to be protected , then Wideman becomes dangerous and harder to move.. if hes not moved by the Buyout period, then he needs to be bought out.. pure and simple.. guaranteed any of our top 3 would be picked otherwise just cuz Wideman took their spot

Johnny/Monahan = $14m

Done.

Wideman would have to be protected, and the 25% is the exposed players, not the protected ones.

I believe I read that this, if it's to go ahead, will all be spelled out by this year's draft.

I'm not a fan of buying out Wideman, but if it turns out he would have to be protected, I'd change my mind like right now and buy him out before this season starts.

That 25% of cap unprotected is sure harder than it seems.

I think pending UFAs should be unprotected because if a team decides they don't want them anyway, it's a wasted slot if they have to protect that is.

They should have a rule that they can't re-sign a UFA with a NMC if they choose not to protect them. Although, they are only going to pick one or two players anyway from the Flames.

I guess we are making a huge deal out of something so small.

Wideman would have to be protected, and the 25% is the exposed players, not the protected ones.

Ooops, my bad.

Wideman has to go now.  Trade or buyout.  

25% unprotected is going to be a little tough.  Time to make a stupid deal at FA time.  Bring in a guy on a 1 year deal.  Keep Stajan for another year.  Keep Raymond.  After that it's just guys like Engelland and Smid (knew there was a use for him).

Too many details yet to be announced/clarified.

Personally, I feel the idea of having to protect pending UFAs is illogical, whether they be one of the 70 NMCs or not.

If a team has no desire/intention to offer another contract to that player, why should they be stuck with protecting him?

Too many details yet to be announced/clarified.

Personally, I feel the idea of having to protect pending UFAs is illogical, whether they be one of the 70 NMCs or not.

If a team has no desire/intention to offer another contract to that player, why should they be stuck with protecting him?

I think most would agree with you. But the past doesn't and neither does the requirement to expose 25 percent of the previous salary.

I do agree there are still a lot of details to be released though. I do hope they remove the 25 percent rule and the requirement to protect a pending UFA with a NMC.

I get the requirement of exposing 25% of NHL salaries to help the expansion team(s), it's the UFA bit that has me shaking my head.

The sooner the expansion details are announced/clarified, the sooner our predictions will have some facts to back them up (or destroy them).

It's very tough to play the GM game without knowing all the rules. 

That said, even knowing the rules isn't going to make any of us geniuses, LOL

• 4 weeks later...
While I have thoroughly been enjoying the playoffs this year, I must admit that as a Flames fan, it's been a difficult offseason. First of all, not making the playoffs is a drag, but then...

- The draft lottery... I love that the Flames are a team that plays to the end of the season. I live in Toronto, and I watched the Leafs do everything possible to ensure they'd have the best chance at the first seed. They'd've iced their ECHL team if it were possible. Good for them, and hopefully they have some good fortune and win their way to more money for Rogers, as if the collective cell phone bill for Canada isn't enough. Thing is, I'd say that it was Winnipeg that won the lottery. They played to the end, like the Flames, and moved up four spots. Unfortunately, the luck went their way, and we dropped a spot. It's that big right winger that we need, though, so not the best Finnish...

- The Dallas Stars... That conditional draft pick. Okay, the truth is, I like the Blues much better, and I'm really happy to see them do so well, and the series against the Sharks has been a real treat, but, that needed to be a first. That brings me to my next point:

- The goalie fiasco... The two best options, at least, that I had identified some time ago are currently playing against each other in the eastern conference final. Their play has probably made them unavailable for any reasonable package going the other way, and Mr. Treliving has his work cut out for him.

With that all said, maybe an expansion announcement will do us some favours.

It's without further ado, as I wallow in homerism, that I refer you to a happier time, twenty seven years ago today. I had this on VHS, and I remember the day well.

Love.

• 3 weeks later...

My off season predictions (very hopeful predictions I might add)

Flames get rid of widemans 5,25M via trade with retained salary or straight buy-out (less preferable)

Smid to LTIR or buyout . 3.5M

Raymond buried in the minors till he's casted off, unlikely anyone would take him unless maybe for a 6th/7th.

Flames will Draft Nylander at #6 or Dubois if avail.

I would prefer Bishop & Andersen first and foremost but would be okay with acquiring MAF for a 2nd rounder and say klimchuk.

If trade front doesn't work out with STL/TB/PIT/ANA , WOULD be okay with signing Reimer to a short deal while we figure out what we have forsure in Ortio and Gilles. Say 2yr 6.5 @3.25m for Reims.

Move backlund to a team looking for a 2/3 centre for a young physical defenceman. Maybe STL gives up parayko for backlund ?

try Sign Backes or Brouwer to mid term deals. Preferably Brouwer to 4x4 think we could all live with that.

My predictions:

Flames buy out Raymond.

Wideman moved prior to draft for a middling return (prospect).

Flames trade 6th + 54th + Hickey + Agostino for 4th overall + Rychel

Flames trade Colborne + 56th to Anaheim for Andersen

Flames trade Stajan ($1.5m retained) to CBJ for Hartnell

Flames draft 3rd overall

Smid retires

My predictions:

Flames buy out Raymond.

Wideman moved prior to draft for a middling return (prospect).

Flames trade 6th + 54th + Hickey + Agostino for 4th overall + Rychel

Flames trade Colborne + 56th to Anaheim for Andersen

Flames trade Stajan ($1.5m retained) to CBJ for Hartnell

Flames draft 3rd overall

Smid retires

I think you are underestimating Hartnell's value. He is still a 20 goal scorer, he isn't just a cap dump.

I think you are underestimating Hartnell's value. He is still a 20 goal scorer, he isn't just a cap dump.

None of these are guaranteed to happen, just my predictions.

What they get in return for Hartnell is cap savings and a depth center.  He's not as much a cap dump as the need to move a player requiring expansion protection.  This move allows them to expose Stajan and protect someone else.  They have some prospects/younger players that need protection. 

Archived