Off Season Predictions

travel_dude

Thought it might be fun to have some of the off-season speculation consolidated into one thread.

There have been speculation of Gio's and Bouma's next contracts, UFA options, trades, etc.

To get the ball rolling:

1) Gio's next contract - $6.5m AAV (8,8,7,6,5,5) 

2) Bouma's next contract - $1.3m AAV ($1.3m x 3)

3) Hudler's next contract - $5.8m AAV (7,7,5,5,5)

Next UFA Signing, if any, and contract.

1) Franson - $4.75 x 5

Upcoming Trades

1) Hiller to St. Louis

2) Russell to Pittsburg

3) Raymond to Arizona for Reider

Prospects most likely to graduate to Flames full-time

1) Forward - Poirier, Arnold

2) Defense - Nakadl, Morrison

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought it might be fun to have some of the off-season speculation consolidated into one thread.

There have been speculation of Gio's and Bouma's next contracts, UFA options, trades, etc.

To get the ball rolling:

1) Franson - $4.75 x 5

Upcoming Trades

1) Hiller to St. Louis

2) Russell to Pittsburg

I hope you are correct with the 3 signings.

I think BT is done with UFA market and Wideman stays.

I'm not sure what they will do with Raymond, maybe see if Bennett makes it through camp without injury ??? but I have to believe BT keeps his ears open on any number of players.

Russell stays for now.

To get the ball rolling:

1) Franson - $4.75 x 5

Upcoming Trades

1) Hiller to St. Louis

2) Russell to Pittsburg

I like the numbers you came up with on the 3 signings but I see them all coming more exspensive than that, besides maybe Hudlers.

I'll give it a stab.

1) Giordano extension 6 years 40million = AAV 6.6

2) Bouma RFA = 3years 6mill = AAV 2.0

3) Hudler extension 4 years 22mill = AAV 5.5

Don't Trade Russell as I seem him more valuable than Widemen given the current lineup.

I like the numbers you came up with on the 3 signings but I see them all coming more exspensive than that, besides maybe Hudlers.

I'll give it a stab.

1) Giordano extension 6 years 40million = AAV 6.6

2) Bouma RFA = 3years 6mill = AAV 2.0

3) Hudler extension 4 years 22mill = AAV 5.5

Don't Trade Russell as I seem him more valuable than Widemen given the current lineup.

I tried a few times to come up with a decent cap hit.  One try I ended up with the same Gio cap hit as you, but I don't like salaries that are $6.66m.  That is the salary cap hit of the beast.  :D

To get the ball rolling:

1) Franson - $4.75 x 5

Upcoming Trades

1) Hiller to St. Louis

2) Russell to Pittsburg

1) Forward - Poirier, Arnold

Just a few comments before I try my own, if you are bringing in Franson then Wideman is the guy to go as he is virtually the same player as Franson. Hiller to St. Louis doesn't make any sense as they already have Elliott and Allen. Arizona is rebuilding so I can't see them giving up Reider whom they really like for a guy like Raymond.

On to my predictions.

Giordano $7m x 6 years

Bouma $1.5m x 2 years

Slater $1m x 2 years

Colborne to Montreal

If we aren't in a playoff position Hudler gets traded at the deadline, otherwise we wait to see what happens next offseasons.

Ortio gets put through waivers at the beginning of the year when there are like 40 players on waivers.

Just a few comments before I try my own, if you are bringing in Franson then Wideman is the guy to go as he is virtually the same player as Franson. Hiller to St. Louis doesn't make any sense as they already have Elliott and Allen. Arizona is rebuilding so I can't see them giving up Reider whom they really like for a guy like Raymond.

On to my predictions.

Giordano $7m x 6 years

Bouma $1.5m x 2 years

Slater $1m x 2 years

Colborne to Montreal

If we aren't in a playoff position Hudler gets traded at the deadline, otherwise we wait to see what happens next offseasons.

Ortio gets put through waivers at the beginning of the year when there are like 40 players on waivers.

I will be surprised if that is how Hudler gets treated. I believe management knows they have something special working to have him bring these kids along. I see an extension.

On to my predictions.

Giordano $7m x 6 years

Bouma $1.5m x 2 years

Slater $1m x 2 years

Colborne to Montreal

Just guesses man.

I felt that STL is struggling once they get to the plaoffs, and they always seem to 2nd guess their goaltending.  Hiller would be a solid add for them, considering their defense.

Arizona may see Reider in their plans or may want to get away from some of their prospects, considering they have a bunch in the pipeline now.  And they have more RW than LW, so Reider may drop down the depth chart.  Strome will likely make their roster, so they might want to play him with an offensive vet winger.

With Franson, I felt that it gives us 3 RHS in the top 6.  I'm not big on moving Brodie to LD, but it balances things out pretty nicely, and means we don't see Engelland anymore.  The other option is to use Franson on 3rd pair LD.  Expensive depth, but if you signed him on a reasonable contract, it remove the spectre of overpaying Russell on his next contract.  At present rate, Russell may be over $4m AAV come re-signing time.

1) Gio's next contract - $8m AAV (9,8.5,8,7.5,7) 

2) Bouma's next contract - $1.8m AAV ($1.8m x 3)

3) Hudler's next contract - $6m AAV ($6m x3)

1) None

Upcoming Trades

1) Raymond to anywhere

2) Hiller to anywhere, Flames retain 50% salary

1) Forward - Poirier

2) Defense - Morrison

Oh why not:

Contracts:

1) Giordano - $7.2m AAV (9,8,8,7,6,5) 

2) Bouma - $1.5m AAV ($1.5m x 2) - more of a "show me" contract before finding where he fits

3) Hudler - $6m AAV (7,7,6,5,5)

1) Schlemko $1.5 AAV x 1 year

Upcoming Trades

1) Raymond to Anywhere - likely for picks

2) Engellend to Anywhere - for whatever we can get

3) Smid to Retirement - not really a trade but he seems likely to not return

1) Forward - Poirier

2) Defense - Morrison

• 9 months later...

I predict that this off season, you cool kids on the boards will stop quoting novella posts if you only intend to respond to one of its points. That seems reasonable, right? There's some really great stuff on here, and I think that if we could minimize our scrolling, that'd be the best!

(I realize this isn't the best place to add this suggestion, but it'll be seen, and it wouldn't require a new thread in the general discussions section)

Love.

I predict that this off season, you cool kids on the boards will stop quoting novella posts if you only intend to respond to one of its points. That seems reasonable, right? There's some really great stuff on here, and I think that if we could minimize our scrolling, that'd be the best!

(I realize this isn't the best place to add this suggestion, but it'll be seen, and it wouldn't require a new thread in the general discussions section)

Love.

That would be nice.

It's possible to edit the quoted post down to what you are responding too.

If more than 1 point bolding the salient 1s means we can concentrate on those rather than reread the whole thing.

Good point & this is a fine place to make it.

To get the ball rolling:

1) Franson - $4.75 x 5

Upcoming Trades

1) Hiller to St. Louis

2) Russell to Pittsburg

Love.

That would be nice.

It's possible to edit the quoted post down to what you are responding too.

If more than 1 point bolding the salient 1s means we can concentrate on those rather than reread the whole thing.

Good point & this is a fine place to make it.

Totally agree

To get the ball rolling:

1) Franson - $4.75 x 5

Upcoming Trades

1) Hiller to St. Louis

2) Russell to Pittsburg

Close on the Gio contract, but that's about it.

Close on the Gio contract, but that's about it.

I am going to use this resurrected thread to pose this idea, as unpopular as it has been.

If there is a way to land Hamonic this offseason and get rid of Wideman we may have given ourselves a few future options when it comes to our defense. There has to be some realistic consideration given to possibly trading Giordano at some point or possibly one of Brodie or Hamilton. Hamonic is a very good value contract and even if exposed in expansion does anyone take him given the known situation. This would be a shrewd business move to ensure a solid defense for years. Thoughts ?

I am going to use this resurrected thread to pose this idea, as unpopular as it has been.

If there is a way to land Hamonic this offseason and get rid of Wideman we may have given ourselves a few future options when it comes to our defense. There has to be some realistic consideration given to possibly trading Giordano at some point or possibly one of Brodie or Hamilton. Hamonic is a very good value contract and even if exposed in expansion does anyone take him given the known situation. This would be a shrewd business move to ensure a solid defense for years. Thoughts ?

Sure, I'd love to add Hamonic.  At this point since we don't really know if expansion is happening, nor the specific rules if it does it is hard to do though.  Come July 1 once we know, we will be in a better position to decide.

The cost to obtain has always been the sticking point.  He's a RHS, so where does he slot in?  With Gio?  

We would need to pony up something pretty major to land Hamonic.  All we have to offer is prospects and picks.  No guys that are surplus at forward that have any value.  If you are suggesting Hamonic for Wideman + a prospect, I may be more on board.  But I would counter that with who we already have - Jokipakka, Engelland and Nakladal.  

The other issue is protecting 3 D-men at the expansion, be it in 2017 or 2018.  Our top three is currently "untouchable".  No way do I lose Gio for nothing.  And I don't leave one of Brodie and Hamilton and Hamonic unprotected.  

if the Flames exposed Hamonic he is gone, 100%. He would be by far the best asset the Flames would expose in the expansion draft. Now mind you there is some talk that you will have the option of protecting 7F and 3d or just 8 players altogether there is a chance to acquire Hamonic and still protect him.

That being said I don't think Hamonic should be a primary target. The Flames greater need is in goal and up front so spend your main assets where it is needed the most. I don't think getting Hamonic makes the Flames that much better of a team, but getting a legit goalie and some more help up front does. The only reason to even keep asking about Hamonic is if the price is so low its almost too good to pass up but I still dont' think that is going to be the case. The Flames are going to have to pay up to get him and I just don't think that is smart. 

The cost to obtain has always been the sticking point.  He's a RHS, so where does he slot in?  With Gio?  

We would need to pony up something pretty major to land Hamonic.  All we have to offer is prospects and picks.  No guys that are surplus at forward that have any value.  If you are suggesting Hamonic for Wideman + a prospect, I may be more on board.  But I would counter that with who we already have - Jokipakka, Engelland and Nakladal.  

The other issue is protecting 3 D-men at the expansion, be it in 2017 or 2018.  Our top three is currently "untouchable".  No way do I lose Gio for nothing.  And I don't leave one of Brodie and Hamilton and Hamonic unprotected.  

We have parts to cover the cost to attain. Our 1st wouldn't be in play but if Dallas comes through with a late rounder we have that & our high 2nd & the Florida mid-ranger.

Since they will need a top 4 D I'd offer Wideman (he's better than some of you give him credit for) & 2/3 of the above. If they take Wideman we have even more cap to get that goalie while having a better D in front of him.

We have parts to cover the cost to attain. Our 1st wouldn't be in play but if Dallas comes through with a late rounder we have that & our high 2nd & the Florida mid-ranger.

Since they will need a top 4 D I'd offer Wideman (he's better than some of you give him credit for) & 2/3 of the above. If they take Wideman we have even more cap to get that goalie while having a better D in front of him.

So that solves the asking price :).

The other area of concern was protecting the player.  Gio has to be protected (NTC and being our capt'n).  Brodie and Hamilton are a given.  So we would need to go the 8 skaters route.  We have a few that should be protected - Johnny, Monahan, Bennett.  The you have guys that currently are needed - Backlund and Frolik.  I would be ok in exposing Backlund if Janko measure up to that level.

Forgot about Stajan - has a NTC.  If it came down to it, I would buy out Matty and pick Frolik as the last forward.  

I realize this is speculative, since we don't know the when or the rules 100%.  I can't even tell you if guys like Shinkaruk and Gillies would be eligible.

I would love it if they would do Wideman and a 2nd.

if the Flames exposed Hamonic he is gone, 100%. He would be by far the best asset the Flames would expose in the expansion draft. Now mind you there is some talk that you will have the option of protecting 7F and 3d or just 8 players altogether there is a chance to acquire Hamonic and still protect him.

That being said I don't think Hamonic should be a primary target. The Flames greater need is in goal and up front so spend your main assets where it is needed the most. I don't think getting Hamonic makes the Flames that much better of a team, but getting a legit goalie and some more help up front does. The only reason to even keep asking about Hamonic is if the price is so low its almost too good to pass up but I still dont' think that is going to be the case. The Flames are going to have to pay up to get him and I just don't think that is smart. 

Do you really think a team would pick Hamonic if they felt he would not report ? Just asking.

Do you really think a team would pick Hamonic if they felt he would not report ? Just asking.

Probably. The problem I would see with Hamonic is he would be so much better than anyone else the Flames would be leaving exposed. Obviously this can change but as of right now I think the player they are most likely to lose is Frolik, maybe Jokipakka. Hamonic is quite a bit better.

If he said "i won't play for you" I would expect the team to do what ever other team has done in a similar situation, trade him for a pretty solid return. 

But as i've said before so challenging to know until we understand the rules. Me not really wanting to trade for Hamonic has very little to do with the expansion draft and more about spending assets in the right spot. 

Probably. The problem I would see with Hamonic is he would be so much better than anyone else the Flames would be leaving exposed. Obviously this can change but as of right now I think the player they are most likely to lose is Frolik, maybe Jokipakka. Hamonic is quite a bit better.

If he said "i won't play for you" I would expect the team to do what ever other team has done in a similar situation, trade him for a pretty solid return. 

But as i've said before so challenging to know until we understand the rules. Me not really wanting to trade for Hamonic has very little to do with the expansion draft and more about spending assets in the right spot. 

Good answer thx. Hamonic is hard to pass up given the limited circumstances. I realize with the cap when you spend in one spot you have to sacrifice elsewhere somehow. I was thinking we have a few years if we were to get a goalie like Vasilevsky before big money was required for goal and some of the newer potential star forwards get bigger contracts. Hard to say what can happen over two seasons.

I would love it if they would do Wideman and a 2nd.

Re-read that. Wideman & 2 or 3 of the above. That's what I meant by 2/3.

I hope Wideman for the cap space but would gladly trade the Dallas pick (be it late 1st or 2nd) & our 2nd along with that Florida 2nd. Then we can still trade Wideman in a separate trade if needed. Even if we retain up to 1.5 for that last year we have a better D cheaper until 2020.

Our top end 1st & Hamonic is apt to be better than our 1st & those 3 picks. Just like Hamilton > the 1st & pair of 2nds we gave up there.

Archived