St Louis Announces Retirement

What a storied career made for the movies.  An undersized NHLer goes on to win a league MVP and a Stanley Cup.

The best player to ever put on a Flames uniform, right?  Oh what could've been...

What criteria are you using for this claim to fame??

1. Games played? nope not even top 50.

2. Points? nope not even top 50

Doug Gilmour 1414

Breett Hull 1391

Al MacInnis 1327

Phil Housley 1232

Jarome Iginla 1226

3. Points per game?

Brett Hull 1.1

Doug Gilmour .96

Al MacInnis .90

Jarome Iginla .88

Phil Housley .82

He shows up in reg season short handed goals with 29 career but

Theo eclipsed him with 35.

He shows up in reg season overtime goals with 9 career but

Oli Jokinen eclipsed that record with 13

Brett Hull with 12

Theo with 11

Brendan Morrison with 10

He does not show up in top 25 of any of the important categories until PPG playoffs with 19.

He is good player bound for the HHOF but is not even close to the title best player to ever don a Flames Jersey.

Sad to see him retire, he was a fun player to watch.

I was kind of hoping that he would come back to Calgary and play one more season, bring his career full circle.

I don't think the Flames are in a position to get sentimental and put someone like St Louis or Iggy into the lineup for this purpose. 

*Well maybe for 1 game contract for Iggy when he retires..

What criteria are you using for this claim to fame??

1. Games played? nope not even top 50.

2. Points? nope not even top 50

Doug Gilmour 1414

Breett Hull 1391

Al MacInnis 1327

Phil Housley 1232

Jarome Iginla 1226

3. Points per game?

Brett Hull 1.1

Doug Gilmour .96

Al MacInnis .90

Jarome Iginla .88

Phil Housley .82

He shows up in reg season short handed goals with 29 career but

Theo eclipsed him with 35.

He shows up in reg season overtime goals with 9 career but

Oli Jokinen eclipsed that record with 13

Brett Hull with 12

Theo with 11

Brendan Morrison with 10

He does not show up in top 25 of any of the important categories until PPG playoffs with 19.

He is good player bound for the HHOF but is not even close to the title best player to ever don a Flames Jersey.

I don't think the Flames are in a position to get sentimental and put someone like St Louis or Iggy into the lineup for this purpose. 

*Well maybe for 1 game contract for Iggy when he retires..

No, but I think St. Louis still can play. He had 21 goals and 52 points last year. Before we signed Frolik, I thought St. Louis would be a good 2nd line RW option for next season.

No, but I think St. Louis still can play. He had 21 goals and 52 points last year. Before we signed Frolik, I thought St. Louis would be a good 2nd line RW option for next season.

I think he can still play too. Retirement aside, I am not sure how he would feel about playing here though...

Due to way he pushed for a trade out of Tampa? Or just that his age and size wouldn't really be a fit here?

Neither.

I dont see any sentimental reasons why he would consider playing here. His first go was too short and he was not particularly treated well.

I don't think he has family here although I could be wrong about that.

I don't think we have anyone on our team he has wanted to play with.

I don't think he feels he has unfinished business from his time here. so...

That pretty much leaves a personal goal to attain, which he could do anywhere with any team or for money, which I don't think he needs. His goal now is his family and kids.

I just don't see any of this that might motivate him to spend time with Flames.

From a fans perspective and not his I can see a few reasons why we might want to see him in a Flames Jersey but that is just hopeful or wishful thinking from a sentimental standpoint I think.

I thank him for a great career, he was a lot of fun to watch (except the 2004 SCF).

We lost him at the start of his career due to Button's decision.

I don't see any reason he would come back to Calgary, it doesn't make sense for either party.

Claiming that Martin St. Louis is the greatest Flame is like claiming that Wayne Gretzky was the greatest Blue...

That said, helluva career.

Love.

I think that greatest to put on a Flames uniform comment must have been a joke of some kind. It could not be a serious comment. He wasn't even the greatest to get away. Flames have screwed up way more than Martin St. Louis: passing on the Golden Brett for instance.

I think that greatest to put on a Flames uniform comment must have been a joke of some kind. It could not be a serious comment. He wasn't even the greatest to get away. Flames have screwed up way more than Martin St. Louis: passing on the Golden Brett for instance.

If the Flames didn't trade Hull, they would not have had Ramage to step in when Suter got injured at the start of the play-offs.

Calgary may have not won the Stanley Cup if this trade did not happen.

If the Flames didn't trade Hull, they would not have had Ramage to step in when Suter got injured at the start of the play-offs.

Calgary may have not won the Stanley Cup if this trade did not happen.

True. Or Hull could have scored the Stanley Cup winner. Which is speculation too but just as valid.

We can thank GM Al Coates and Coach Brian Sutter for the mis-management of the Calgary career of Martin St. Louis. Unfortunately he came to the Flames right after the talent purge.

Wow, it seems like you love talking about stuff you have no idea about. It was Al Coates who gave Marty the initial opportunity - the chance to put his foot in the door in the NHL - and it was Brian Sutter who managed his ice time rather brilliantly, allowing him to fine tune his game without rushing him and without putting him in precarious situations.

What Marty St. Louis ended up becoming is entirely owed to Coates / Sutter and the way in which they developed him. They coveted Marty and when Craight Button came in to replace Coates, he didn't see enough value in resigning St. Louis. It's too bad because in hindsight, it ended up costing us the cup in 2004.

I like Craig Button now, and hindsight is always 20/20. But he made some disastrous moves while GM here. The fault for St. Louis leaving in the manner that he did was squarely Craig Button's.

Wow, it seems like you love talking about stuff you have no idea about. It was Al Coates who gave Marty the initial opportunity - the chance to put his foot in the door in the NHL - and it was Brian Sutter who managed his ice time rather brilliantly, allowing him to fine tune his game without rushing him and without putting him in precarious situations.

What Marty St. Louis ended up becoming is entirely owed to Coates / Sutter and the way in which they developed him. They coveted Marty and when Craight Button came in to replace Coates, he didn't see enough value in resigning St. Louis. It's too bad because in hindsight, it ended up costing us the cup in 2004.

I like Craig Button now, and hindsight is always 20/20. But he made some disastrous moves while GM here. The fault for St. Louis leaving in the manner that he did was squarely Craig Button's.

Sounds like you were in the room when the decisions came down. I will consult with you from now on before forming any opinions as should all others here apparently.

Sounds like you were in the room when the decisions came down. I will consult with you from now on before forming any opinions as should all others here apparently.

I was not in the room but remember that time very well. This team was high on Marty until Coates and Sutter were removed and new management took over. It doesn't take an insider to arrive at a logical conclusion given the facts at hand. You throwing Coates and Sutter under the bus is unwarranted.

I was not in the room but remember that time very well. This team was high on Marty until Coates and Sutter were removed and new management took over. It doesn't take an insider to arrive at a logical conclusion given the facts at hand. You throwing Coates and Sutter under the bus is unwarranted.

Oh, so you're going strictly on your memory of events that did not directly affect you. Well... that's all the evidence I need! Haha. And unless you are friends or directly related to Coates or Sutter, you need to seriouly examine why my opinion of what happened gets y'all riled up.

BTW: Brian Sutter was coach 1997-2000, Al Coates was GM from 1995 - 2000; Martin St. Louis was in the Flames organization from 1997 to 2000. Those are the years the mis-management occurred in my opinion. No bus. Just facts.

Oh, so you're going strictly on your memory of events that did not directly affect you. Well... that's all the evidence I need! Haha. And unless you are friends or directly related to Coates or Sutter, you need to seriouly examine why my opinion of what happened gets y'all riled up.

BTW: Brian Sutter was coach 1997-2000, Al Coates was GM from 1995 - 2000; Martin St. Louis was in the Flames organization from 1997 to 2000. Those are the years the mis-management occurred in my opinion. No bus. Just facts.

Given how you appear to be cutting everyone down for having an opinion different than your own on this subject, please share with the rest of the class all the "behind closed doors" wheelings and dealings that you are privy to (perhaps you are a player agent, or even a former Flames upper-management type), just so we can all better understand, appreciate, and respect why your statements and opinions are much more authoritative than the opinions of others.

Given how you appear to be cutting everyone down for having an opinion different than your own on this subject, please share with the rest of the class all the "behind closed doors" wheelings and dealings that you are privy to (perhaps you are a player agent, or even a former Flames upper-management type), just so we can all better understand, appreciate, and respect why your statements and opinions are much more authoritative than the opinions of others.

Question: Whatchu talkN 'bout Kulstad?

tachaudh to KACaribou "Wow, it seems like you love talking about stuff you have no idea about."

KACaribou reply: "Sounds like you were in the room when the decisions came down. I will consult with you from now on before forming any opinions as should all others here apparently."

Kulstad chimes in: "Given how you appear to be cutting everyone down for having an opinion different than your own on this subject, please share with the rest of the class all the "behind closed doors" wheelings and dealings that you are privy to (perhaps you are a player agent, or even a former Flames upper-management type), just so we can all better understand, appreciate, and respect why your statements and opinions are much more authoritative than the opinions of others."

tachaudh: "Wow, it seems like you love talking about stuff you have no idea about.";

Kulstad: "… you appear to be cutting everyone down…"

KACaribou: "Huh?"

Archived