LA King terminate Mike Richards' contract

Squilliam89

As more and more info comes out it sounds like Richards did something stupid. What would have been hilarious is if the Flames had gone ahead with the a trade for him like was being discussed and then terminated his contract. The Kings are right now going to take a cap hit due to the structure of his contract if it all goes through. 

Until details are released it's so vague. I haven't heard of any criminal charges & I have friends in Kenora so it's unlikely to be that.

Meanwhile Voynov faces criminal charges if they just wanted cap relief.

This is going to be convoluted.

The NHLPA will probably fight it (I heard a rumor Don Fehr jumped on it) so there's that. It might well put the termination (& cap relief) on hold pending a hearing with an independant adjudicator.

As ZZ referred to, even if the Kings get away without a buyout there is still the matter of cap recapture.

Meanwhile, Mike Richards likely becomes UFA so can sign anywhere & collect a paycheck because the league hasn't suspended him.

& if the Kings are found to have no valid reason to have pursued this route Richards likely has a good case for a civil suit for both wrongful termination & character assisination. I'm no lawyer but I'm sure some on this board have a better working knowledge of California law.

This could take years to play out & I doubt it's gonna be pretty.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sources-kings-found-out-about-richards-at-draft/

Elliote Freedman reports that Jarrett Stoll was caught with cocaine and the team did not terminate his contract. As FF said, Voynov is on trial for domestic abuse and he's still employed. So I wonder what this Richards thing can be.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sources-kings-found-out-about-richards-at-draft/

Elliote Freedman reports that Jarrett Stoll was caught with cocaine and the team did not terminate his contract. As FF said, Voynov is on trial for domestic abuse and he's still employed. So I wonder what this Richards thing can be.

I heard he got caught picking his nose in public.  This obviously is not a criminal offense otherwise you would have heard about it by now.  This appears to be an extremely desperate move by the Kings to shed unwanted cap space.  Maybe he missed his contractual Wednesday workout in the gym?  I hope the Kings pay dearly for thi$.  Time will tell, and the $1000/hr lawyer bill$ are adding up as we speak.

I went to high school with a couple guys who are playing in the AHL, some of the things that count as breach of material contract include things like not wearing team gear to media events, pre-game and post-game. Some of the things that they *could* go after a player for is ridiculous, and completely underhanded. But legal.

Biggest diffetence is Richards aint Voynov.plus hes in limbo and suspended by the league until his legal plays out.

I believe the earliet comment is correct that if it were criminal we'd have heard by now.so, he likely did something hes not allowed to do.

For example its standard in all contracts that players cannot do off ice activities which could injure them, for example Curtis Glencross is a fuly trained chuckwagon out rider, but he's forbidden from doing it.

It could be something as petty as he went skydiving or jet skiing, hed be in violation of his contract

I wouldn't be surprised that its that minor, but as desperate as the kings are to rid that albatross of a contract theyd be all over it.

Word on the street is that he continually refuses to go to his contractual work out sessions. allegedly the LA GM wants him in LA, but he has been pressuring Richards to improve his cardio. Richards has refused to go to any of the training sessions that the GM set up, so LA dumped him. Not sure if it's true, but still interesting

I think at the end of the day this "incident" likely will come out and wont' be a serious incident. I'm sure it was something dumb that Richards did but given that the Kings were going to buy him out anway its likely a break for them.

Having said that I fully expect a big legal battle here and the NHLPA to step in. This thing is only just getting started.

All reports are that Dean Lombardi found out about Richards on draft day, on the draft floor.  We saw on TV during the draft, Lombardi speaking with Treliving and then immediately after that, to Peter Chiarelli.

So my reaction to that is, we were interested in Richards?  Holy why??

All reports are that Dean Lombardi found out about Richards on draft day, on the draft floor.  We saw on TV during the draft, Lombardi speaking with Treliving and then immediately after that, to Peter Chiarelli.

So my reaction to that is, we were interested in Richards?  Holy why??

I'm curious about that as well. I wonder what BT & Chia were offering.

LA had already dealt the 13th overall pick in the Lucic deal so it wasn't the 13th coming back.

I agree though I'm not impressed Flames were interested unless they were getting a really good asset along with Richards. Clearly the Flames weren't going to give up anything good to get Richards and I read somewhere today that the Kings weren't happy with how much it was going to take them to get rid of Richards which is why I think this is working out so well for them that they can now terminate the contract. Well for the time being at least...

There was nothing to terminate with Stoll.. he's a UFA.

At least the Kings take a SLIGHT cap hit for the next 5 yrs.  $1.3 mil isn't much... but it's a player's worth of salary.

Presently hockeyscap.com has the Kings locked in with 11 F, 5 D, 1 G  with $6.53 mil in space.  Richards' recapture penalty takes $1.32 mil of that... 

If Voynov isn't cleared.. they have $9.4 mil to sign (or bring up from their prospect pool) about 5 players.

If Voynov is cleared... they'll have $5.2mil in space to fill 4 spots....

Still in cap hell!  yeay!

Kopitar to re-sign next yr at $8+ mil...

Goodbye to Sekera... and ALSO maybe Brown.. maybe Carter for the return... Gaborik... 

Trades coming in La La land... whats your feel of it FF52?

LA had already dealt the 13th overall pick in the Lucic deal so it wasn't the 13th coming back.

I agree though I'm not impressed Flames were interested unless they were getting a really good asset along with Richards. Clearly the Flames weren't going to give up anything good to get Richards and I read somewhere today that the Kings weren't happy with how much it was going to take them to get rid of Richards which is why I think this is working out so well for them that they can now terminate the contract. Well for the time being at least...

I wasn't sure if the Lucic deal had been done at that point.  I didn't watch the draft, so I figured that was what BT would be after for taking a bad contract that was available for free earlier.

There was nothing to terminate with Stoll.. he's a UFA.

At least the Kings take a SLIGHT cap hit for the next 5 yrs.  $1.3 mil isn't much... but it's a player's worth of salary.

Presently hockeyscap.com has the Kings locked in with 11 F, 5 D, 1 G  with $6.53 mil in space.  Richards' recapture penalty takes $1.32 mil of that... 

If Voynov isn't cleared.. they have $9.4 mil to sign (or bring up from their prospect pool) about 5 players.

If Voynov is cleared... they'll have $5.2mil in space to fill 4 spots....

Still in cap hell!  yeay!

Kopitar to re-sign next yr at $8+ mil...

Goodbye to Sekera... and ALSO maybe Brown.. maybe Carter for the return... Gaborik... 

Trades coming in La La land... whats your feel of it FF52?

I figure Carter is moved. 30 years old with a hit of 5.27 x 7 (true $s remaining 32.5).

He won't be happy with the way Mike Richards is being treated so might demand a trade.

BTW, check out General Fanager. They use most of the dearly departed capgeek features & seem up to date.

I don't have much to offer until we know the reason(s) his contract was terminated. We do know that the termination must meet the same criteria for sustaining the contracts of other players with criminal problems. If not, the NHLPA has good reason to jump in and raise issues. You cannot fire one player for having criminal charges laid against them because it helps with contractual issues and keep another with similar issues on the payroll because he is still economically viable. The NHL knows this and would be quite concerned.

As for the Flames having an interest in him, I can understand that. Treliving has made many calls to every GM about a lot of players. Richards is one of those high risk/rewards guys that you might land for a good price. If he tanks, meh. If he performs well, the deal is great. IMO, many older ice hockey players are still physically viable. They need to find the psychological motivation to be effective. Some players like Stevie Y can do so seemingly easily, while others are pooched after 30.

I figure Carter is moved. 30 years old with a hit of 5.27 x 7 (true $s remaining 32.5).

He won't be happy with the way Mike Richards is being treated so might demand a trade.

BTW, check out General Fanager. They use most of the dearly departed capgeek features & seem up to date.

General Fanager has nice tools... But it's readability is bad.. (Used it a lot for its draft picks section tho the last week)

Hockeyscap is beautiful... Up there with Cap central for ease on the eyes.

Nhlnumbers is the worst for readability tho.

So I use hockey's cap when looking at teams or looking for contracts of players....

And they are responsive to email... I've had email discussions with the site owner regarding missing info when his site first started.. Updated within mins.

Also General Fanager absolutely KILLS me in how long it takes to load a page... Huge difference there as well.

Kings on hockey's cap... https://hockeyscap.com/teams/kings

Kings on general fan... http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/los-angeles-kings

Kings on cap central... http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=LA

I don't pretend to know the details around it, but he was (according to TMZ Sports - yech) in possession of Oxy, without a prescription.

Having this with you is not a big deal, except that when you cross borders, you need to have the prescription with you.  This is true of any prescription, but Oxy is a controlled drug.

This is a lawyer's way out of a contract.  If Mike isn't charged and he has valid reason for having it, the contract will not be voided.  At least that is my take.

• 1 month later...

After a little thought I figure this maneuver by LA cost Mike Richards any chance of a roster spot in the NHL this summer as they make it look like he's a criminal even though he wasn't arrested or charged. By now most rosters are set so a camp invite is the best he can hope for.

If the NHLPA wins the Kings should be required to pay the $6 million his contract calls for & release him to be UFA. If he wants to sign a 1 year "show me" contract in the meantime for minimum it would lessen the true $ & cap hit by that amount (doing otherwise stops him from seeking gainful employment in his field). Then next buyout window they still are required to technically buy him out carrying that wage makeup for this year, buyout & the cap recapture as their penalty for attempting the circumventing of the cap.

MR could also pursue the remaining 1/3 of the true $s owed him via civil court citing wrongful dismissal.

Besides any arbitrator or NHL imposed penalties I see this hurting DL & the Kings credibility with players. They might well think "If they did this to Mike what happens if my game drops?"

I still see Jeff Carter requesting a trade behind the scenes.

I used to like/respect the Kings but this leaves a bad taste especially when they back Voynov who pleaded no contest & is currently paying $1000.00 a night to stay in a luxury prison rather than a real jail. I hope he serves $90,000.00 worth of time to offset the fact he doesn't room with a Simon Adebisi type.

Archived