Mark Giordano Wants $9mil

Flames22

Love Gio, heart and soul of the team but I am sorry, I don't believe he has proven to be worth 9M just yet.   Although, I am sure he can get that in an open market as a UFA.

He, more than anyone is aware of the up and coming talent on this team which are also looking to be paid too and the time is coming soon (Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennet* ).  Money is great but I have a feeling, he wants to play on the Flames and be a part of this team for a little bit of a hometown discount.

My absolute max. would be 8M but I feel 7.5 @ 5 years is my ideal contract.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do? He was one of the biggest reasons for our turn around. Attacking him because of a rumor negotiations started at a specific number is ridiculous.

If it doesn't look like we can sign him I wonder if a deal involving him and Shattenkirk is available. It sounds like the Blues are looking for a shake up to take them to the next level. Gio could do that for them.

Boo Hoo! He makes more in a week than you do in a year.

By becoming famous he entered the public domain. He is a celebrity and is up for public scrutiny no different than Brad Pitt or Prime Minster Harper. When these guys get into an occupation to become a celebrity this is what happens. I guess if it weren't for these guys throwing around millions like they are thousands, maybe all our kids could afford to go to a game other than on special occasions. Part of them taking from the public in $$, also involves taking the public's scrutiny and opinions.

Gio was no more than an average D-man most of his career, it's just the past couple of years that he has become elite. $9 million for him is ridiculous at his age. And BTW, any of us who actually believe he would have won the Norris over Eric Karlsson or Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith - is DREAMING!

Paying him that much will mean another important piece of our team will have to take less or be dealt. I don't think Tree is dumb enough to do it however. So consequently I stick with my belief that if the demand is $9 million. Bye Bye Gio.

Ryan O'Reilly may have just started a really interesting trend that most likely will get fixed in the next CBA. He signed a 7 year contract with an AAV of $7.5Mill, what is really interesting about the contract is that his salary is only $1mill per season the rest is signing bonus. There is no real benefit to the club, but the player gets around paying escrow.

I wonder if this can be used as a negotiation tactic by the teams to try and get players to sign lesser AAV's as they won't be losing as much money to escrow.

I put this here as this could be a tactic to get Giordano's cap hit down.

It seems like the new version of the formerly allowed front loaded contract. As shown by the "Luongo rule" the NHL can change their minds about contracts they OKed.

It's a good point to bring up as I didn't notice the structure.

Since RoR is only 24 there is little chance of a recapture fee so the only danger is a retroactive rule or the NHL rejecting it like they did the 1st Kovalchuk 1 with the Debbies a day later.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

By becoming famous he entered the public domain. He is a celebrity and is up for public scrutiny no different than Brad Pitt or Prime Minster Harper. When these guys get into an occupation to become a celebrity this is what happens. I guess if it weren't for these guys throwing around millions like they are thousands, maybe all our kids could afford to go to a game other than on special occasions. Part of them taking from the public in $$, also involves taking the public's scrutiny and opinions.

Gio was no more than an average D-man most of his career, it's just the past couple of years that he has become elite. $9 million for him is ridiculous at his age. And BTW, any of us who actually believe he would have won the Norris over Eric Karlsson or Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith - is DREAMING!

Paying him that much will mean another important piece of our team will have to take less or be dealt. I don't think Tree is dumb enough to do it however. So consequently I stick with my belief that if the demand is $9 million. Bye Bye Gio.

I have to disagree with the bolded. All the media I followed on the Norris and Gio had Gio as the frontrunner for Norris this past season. It was not even close for others.... up until he got hurt....

It is the writers who vote on this trophy so I am not out of line or dreaming to say he was a candidate and likely to win had he not been hurt.

Apparently someone struggles with market math. The players get paid what the market supports.

If they don't, the owners rake it all in and we return to the days where Sr men's hockey clubs would be able to stomp the Cup champs like up into the 1970's.

Remember 5/6 of the HHOF didn't make squat and there was a few of each of their talents playing local men's leagues because they had to hold down a job.

This isn't the CFL, they get paid a lot of money because there's a lot of money in the kitty.

And yes, Gio was well on his way to a Norris and it isn't his fault that equates to Webber/Doughty $$$.

Pretending he's inferior to those 2 only has you kidding yourself. He's still a solid Norris candidate.

So was Iggy. :)

Which is the point. Nobody will deny that GIO is a solid Dman. Was he in the running for the Norris no question, did he win it nope. IF and BUTS should not equal a 9 Million dollar contract. We have NO ONE on our team that even comes close to being worth that amount. As this is all speculative at best, Gio at 9 mill is laughable. Gio was not the only player to have a great year, Wideman, Brodie, Hudler, Mony, JH had good season's as well but that does not correlate to a 5 million dollar in crease in pay?

I am all for paying what players are worth, but GIO is not elite status nor is Hudler for that matter. They had a great season, but they are more towards the end of his career than the beginning. Do we need them sure but not at the point of jeopardizing the club.

Apparently someone struggles with market math. The players get paid what the market supports.

If they don't, the owners rake it all in and we return to the days where Sr men's hockey clubs would be able to stomp the Cup champs like up into the 1970's.

Remember 5/6 of the HHOF didn't make squat and there was a few of each of their talents playing local men's leagues because they had to hold down a job.

This isn't the CFL, they get paid a lot of money because there's a lot of money in the kitty.

And yes, Gio was well on his way to a Norris and it isn't his fault that equates to Webber/Doughty $$$.

Pretending he's inferior to those 2 only has you kidding yourself. He's still a solid Norris candidate.

I understand the concept Einstein (sorry for the retaliatory sarcasm, but touche). You aren't the only one who took a night course on marketing... With an in-place salary cap, one player making 1/8 of the team's ceiling can be destructive to the ability to have other stars in the line-up. We likely have at least 3 other players who will deserve top dollar. If top dollar is at least $9 million, then with four such players that comes to half the salary cap. For those struggling with math that is four over eight, 4/8.

If it doesn't look like we can sign him I wonder if a deal involving him and Shattenkirk is available. It sounds like the Blues are looking for a shake up to take them to the next level. Gio could do that for them.

I like the idea of this, and wonder if St. Louis is really wanting a big shake up or if they're just saying that. I don't want Gio at any more than 7/ year regardless of term. It puts the flames in trouble, and sets a high standard for the changing of the guard.

So IF his demands are high? Then he needs to be packaged up properly and efficiently, and I wonder if a deal with the blues are there? They need to resign Tarasenko and Jake allen which I believe will cost them at least 7/year probably similar structure to RORielly for Tarasenko and at least a $2.5/year. That only leaves them around $3.5 mil with a 16 player roster?

Are they desperate enough to make a trade with us? They are going to want young guys who can step in?

I would love to see something like this work out for us.

It was more about this psychobabble...

We'll see what happens with Gio, not much point in going off the rails without any hard evidence as to what it'll take.

I hate when the offers and asking prices are played out in the media.  It turned Boston against Hamilton.  It seems to be dividing this fanbase.  I haven't seen a credible quote from anyone involved in the actual negotiations.  BT has remained quiet, as he should.

Get him signed for what it takes, though I think it won't be near $8m. 

Fanbase effects nothing with any negotiations. Contracts are market driven performance track records. There are times agent get the upper hand as we have seen but never fan peer pressure.

Fanbase effects nothing with any negotiations. Contracts are market driven performance track records. There are times agent get the upper hand as we have seen but never fan peer pressure.

I didn't say anywhere that the fans affected the cost.  I said that public knowledge of the asking price lead BOS's fans to trash the player.

People here are already trashing Gio or asking for a trade due to cost.  Prior to the $9m "story" people were saying sign him quick, or trade him to get a windfall of younger players/prospects/picks.

I didn't say anywhere that the fans affected the cost.  I said that public knowledge of the asking price lead BOS's fans to trash the player.

People here are already trashing Gio or asking for a trade due to cost.  Prior to the $9m "story" people were saying sign him quick, or trade him to get a windfall of younger players/prospects/picks.

I think people were simply stating that he isn't worth anywhere near $9 million and don't want to see their favourite team pay excessively for the player. That isn't trashing him. That's a valid opinion.

I think people were simply stating that he isn't worth anywhere near $9 million and don't want to see their favourite team pay excessively for the player. That isn't trashing him. That's a valid opinion.

No I would agree with previous comment that he has been trashed a couple of times, which isn't deserved in any sense of the word. He's been and still is a terrific leader and Flame and a huge reason why we are where we are.

As for contract, a Norris-calibre, top-scoring D man is (crazily, but that's another topic) worth $9mm in today's NHL. MAybe for only a couple of years before it tapers down, but as a negotiating start point of course it's going to be $9mm. What would you expect otherwise?

Come on 9 mill 7 yrs hey he is our piller on D but we did pretty good with out him TJ did great now we have another young buck in Dougie 9 mill is crazy 7 yrs is crazy I know he is asking for the sun and hoping for the moon. Hope we can satisfy him with around 6 mill and 5 yrs we can dream.  

Come on 9 mill 7 yrs hey he is our piller on D but we did pretty good with out him TJ did great now we have another young buck in Dougie 9 mill is crazy 7 yrs is crazy I know he is asking for the sun and hoping for the moon. Hope we can satisfy him with around 6 mill and 5 yrs we can dream.  

The 9 million & 7 years are #s thrown around by posters on this board & others while talking heads add their nickle's worth (since we no longer have a penny to = their thoughts).

Gio's agent tossed out an opening offer & unlike the Free Agent Frenzy that is not the low offer. BT might have responded with a 20% raise to 5 million. We aren't there tapping the phones (@ least I'm not) so let it play out.

It's like selling a car. Ask high but have the real worth in mind & settle for that.

As fans we play with #s & decide what we see as the highest we think the Flames should pay.

This is only the opening gambit by his agent so lets not tar & feather Gio as a callous, greedy SoB quite yet.

With the cap increasing every year, $9 mill is the new standard for key star pieces, were as years before in was $7 mill but like the cap there is inflation in salaries... its the nature of the beast.

If we think Gio is the best player on this team, its captain and all around leader, well, then you pay him as such. Gio is a superstar now and hes going to cash in...

With the cap increasing every year, $9 mill is the new standard for key star pieces, were as years before in was $7 mill but like the cap there is inflation in salaries... its the nature of the beast.

If we think Gio is the best player on this team, its captain and all around leader, well, then you pay him as such. Gio is a superstar now and hes going to cash in...

Maybe you have nailed the problem here. Perhaps many of us don't think Gio is the best player on the team. Personally I think Johnny Hockey is the best player on the team. I am not even sure Gio is the best D on the team. Brodie and Hamilton are certainly in the conversation. I don't think we would have made the playoffs without Johnny H. The kid is a freak with the puck.

With the cap increasing every year, $9 mill is the new standard for key star pieces, were as yow ay him as such. Gio is a superstar now and hes going to cash in...

I disagree, Gio is a good defense-man but he is not a super star. We have potential super stars in Mony and JH. Mony had a great rookie season backed with a better sophomore season that has potential super star capabilities. Gio has been here 9 years and has one good year and deserves a 5 Million dollar raise?

The tides have changed with GIO with the acquiring of Hamilton, he is no longer the top dog on D. His agent started at 9 million, show me a club right now that signs him to a 9 Million dollar contract for 7 years, and I will show you an idiot for a GM. We are in a rebuild, I want to see a team that has longevity not a quick rush to the top and another 10 + years of crap. A contract like this sets this club back to the stone ages. 

This contract will set the bar moving forward for the next wave of JH, Bennett and Mony. Final offer for GIO 7 mill for 4 years, if he and his agent feel that they can do better next season and there after, trade him we should be able to get some solid prospects or a roster player for him.

It was more about this psychobabble...

We'll see what happens with Gio, not much point in going off the rails without any hard evidence as to what it'll take.

Psychobabble BTW is referring to the analysis of a psychiatric theory. My reference was having to do with the laws of defamation.

You guys are completely under valuing what Gio was doing last season, he is in elite company with his offensive totals before the injury and his possession stats are top 5 in the leauge... he is a super star, players onther teams have all taken notice, Cammy was quoted as saying that Gio may have been the best player in the world last season.

You don't get to be in the Norris and Heart conversation by being just another plug.

Archived