Mason Raymond

conundrumed

In the spirit of pride in our guys, I believe Raymond can do some good things to help us elevate further.

I'm not going to sugar-coat it, I've found his play to be soft and underwhelming, but that was last series against his old team.

He needs to win a few battles to get his confidence up, and use his speed and shot as 2nd nature to get into his flow.

I'm not giving up on the guy, as he's a part of that locker room and 1 guy that can elevate our inertia moving ahead.

Go get 'em Mason, what's behind is behind. Hold your head high, and want it more than everyone else.

Leave it all on the ice, you can blaze this thing, no fear.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the spirit of pride in our guys, I believe Raymond can do some good things to help us elevate further.

I'm not going to sugar-coat it, I've found his play to be soft and underwhelming, but that was last series against his old team.

He needs to win a few battles to get his confidence up, and use his speed and shot as 2nd nature to get into his flow.

I'm not giving up on the guy, as he's a part of that locker room and 1 guy that can elevate our inertia moving ahead.

Go get 'em Mason, what's behind is behind. Hold your head high, and want it more than everyone else.

Leave it all on the ice, you can blaze this thing, no fear.

He sat in favor of Sam Bennett playing.  Granlund came out and Raymond went back in.  Who do you think gives us better options -  a soft-ish LW'er that is know for his speed, or a C/LW player that is known for being tougher and can play effectyively without the puck or on PK?

If it was between Raymond and Byron, I would pick Byron because of his speed, toughness, and PK ability.  Byron's not an option, so I would lean towards a utility player that can provide offense, toughness, and back-checking.

I prefer Raymond over Granland but that's me and I'll admit I'm not the biggest Granland fan. I think both of them struggle against physical play an while Granland is the smarter of the two I also think Raymond speed does give the 3rd or 4th line some jump. But I think having Jooris at center taking draws and them Raymond on the wing is a better lineup then Granland at center. They could try Granland on the wing, which I think he is better suited for anyway, but they don't seem to want to.

Yes Mason.  

Get on the score board to rock the Ducks.  You are a great player and your capabilities can sparkle the ice with your ray of confidence. Go Mason Go.   Die-hard fans would love to see your productive presence.   

That's what I'm talking 'bout!

Some people are just plain bad apples. I think Raymond is one of them. It'll never wear off on him and he might start degrading it from other people.

Does that apply to posters too?

Never is a long time. He's in that room. It'll rub off.

He is around a 0.5 ppg player in the regular season. That drops to around 0.25 in the playoffs. This drop off is generally true for the stretch games that matter as well.

Could it change? It's possible. But he has been invisible this season down the stretch and in the playoffs. The guy ad over 500 regular season and almost 60 playoffs games. Seems like wishful thinking to say he is going to all of a sudden turn the corner now.

I prefer Raymond over Granland but that's me and I'll admit I'm not the biggest Granland fan. I think both of them struggle against physical play an while Granland is the smarter of the two I also think Raymond speed does give the 3rd or 4th line some jump. But I think having Jooris at center taking draws and them Raymond on the wing is a better lineup then Granland at center. They could try Granland on the wing, which I think he is better suited for anyway, but they don't seem to want to.

How about Jooris at center and Shore on RW.  Or Arnold at center and Jooris on RW.  Having two RHS's that both can play center or RW is a bigger plus than a guy with speed only that isn't finishing.

The reason I mentioned Granlund in the first place was that Hartley has great things to say about him, even when he struggles at C.

He was 40% and 60% in games one and two,  even, with 2 shots.

Question is does Raymond help by adding speed (a Duck weakness) or detract because he gets completely shut down by the physicality of the Ducks? I lean more toward the detract. He couldn't use his speed effectively against the 'Nucks (see losing the puck on a breakaway) so I doubt he is helpful here.

Too bad Byron is injured because everything Raymond can do, i think Byron can do equally well, if not better.  For less than half the salary, the Flames should part ways with Raymond and keep Byron for next season.  It's too bad because Raymond had a great start to the season and if it wasn't for his injury, he may have been able to keep up his scoring.

It's funny to go back and ready the original signing. Many of us (myself included) were okay with the signing.

My take was that I wasn't a big fan of the player, but we needed veterans to shelter the youth. Raymond wanted to play in Calgary. It was a better alternative then overpaying for another player (like Cammalleri for example.)

How winning changes perspective. If we Gaudreau was in the AHL and we were a bottom 5 team this season as expected Raymond would make a lot of sense. You need positive veterans that want to be here in that environment. Plus it would give us the depth to trade veterans like Glencross.

In that scenario it didn't matter that he disappears down the stretch and in the playoffs.

It doesn't make a lot less sense for a second round playoff team with a Calder candidate on the LW. Especially when you consider he is signed for 3 more seasons.

I guess we can give Treliving a little slack given how many of us thought it was a good move at the time.

I would like to say I predicted it. I have always been against this signing. I think he is the kind of player that needs to play two and sit a few. His consistency just isn't there.

In game 3, his first game, he played ok and helped set up on a momentum goal by keeping the puck in.

I argued with my bro who is a Nucks fan and likes him, that Raymond is sitting because he doesn't play this way enough. He did nothing down the stretch to suggest he should play.

I think he needs to play a bit and sit a bit. Do you wanna pay a player that much for that role?

I would like to say I predicted it. I have always been against this signing. I think he is the kind of player that needs to play two and sit a few. His consistency just isn't there.

In game 3, his first game, he played ok and helped set up on a momentum goal by keeping the puck in.

I argued with my bro who is a Nucks fan and likes him, that Raymond is sitting because he doesn't play this way enough. He did nothing down the stretch to suggest he should play.

I think he needs to play a bit and sit a bit. Do you wanna pay a player that much for that role?

By that logic, it is sittin' time again. Let's look at who is available as a replacement for the 4th line, that can play up to the 2nd or 3rd; Granlund or Shore. Or dress an extra D-man; Ramage.

Playing Raymond for 7 minutes doesn't get us anything special. He doesn't mesh with Bollig and Jooris.

It's funny to go back and ready the original signing. Many of us (myself included) were okay with the signing.

I would like to say I predicted it. I have always been against this signing.

If i remember correctly, i believe most of us felt it was a bad move from the moment the contract was signed.  It's not so much that we got Raymond but we got him on term.  3-years is a long time to doubt your young developing LWs.  I think most of us were only okay about the dollar amount because the Flames actually needed to hit the cap floor back then.

But anyways, you guys are right about Raymond's value to the team based on where we are in the standings.  A bottom feeder would be okay with Raymond mentoring the youth and sheltering their minutes.  On a second round playoff team however, there's no room for a player like Raymond.  I would contend that no Cup winning team has room on the roster for someone like him.

If we feel we are a Cup contending team by next season, then we need to say goodbye to Raymond.

We aren't playing Vancouver anymore.

Different team, different strategies.

Raymond's speed is still a threat to keep at bay, for 5, 10, 12 minutes/gm, doesn't matter.

A good threat to have.

We aren't going to muscle Anaheim like we did the nux.

Or at least I hope that isn't the strategy.

We aren't playing Vancouver anymore.

Different team, different strategies.

Raymond's speed is still a threat to keep at bay, for 5, 10, 12 minutes/gm, doesn't matter.

A good threat to have.

We aren't going to muscle Anaheim like we did the nux.

Or at least I hope that isn't the strategy.

Your right that speed will be important against Anaheim. But when is the last time you saw Raymond come back on the back check and make a difference? Or get sprung on a breakaway? Or come in quick on the forecheck and generate a turnover? Or actually do something on the rush?

Speed by itself doesn't mean much.

Archived