Flames announce that they have singed Garnet Hathaway to an ELC.

See press release:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=762942

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today that they have signed forward Garnet Hathaway to an entry-level contract.

Hathaway, a native of Kennebunkport, Maine, is in his second season in the American Hockey League and has played 71 games for Adirondack scoring 19 goals and adding 17 assists along with 77 PIMs. The 23-year-old played four seasons with Brown University in the ECAC where he featured in 121 games and recorded 58 points (20G, 38A) and 178 PIMs.

GARNET HATHAWAY – RIGHT WING

BORN: Kennebunkport, ME DATE: November 23, 1991

HEIGHT: 6’2” WEIGHT: 210 lbs.

SHOOTS: Right

ACQUIRED: Signed as a free agent on April 12, 2015

Below is a story on FN about him, and how he is another of the Lance Bouma type of player.

http://flamesnation.ca/2015/3/7/give-garnet-hathaway-a-contract

I was impressed with him as one of their free agent invites to camp. Can't remember which camp it was but I remember noting he impressed me. Didn't blow you away with any physical traits bjy seems like a very smart hockey player. He also stuck around after a scrimmage to work on faceoffs, even though he isn't a center, and he held his own against Monahan and knight. That stuck out to me as looks like he had a solid season in the AHL too so looks like this contract is well deserved. I'm liking how the flames seems to have really expanded their US scouting. I think that is the one positive thing Weisbrod left us.

I was impressed with him as one of their free agent invites to camp. Can't remember which camp it was but I remember noting he impressed me. Didn't blow you away with any physical traits bjy seems like a very smart hockey player. He also stuck around after a scrimmage to work on faceoffs, even though he isn't a center, and he held his own against Monahan and knight. That stuck out to me as looks like he had a solid season in the AHL too so looks like this contract is well deserved. I'm liking how the flames seems to have really expanded their US scouting. I think that is the one positive thing Weisbrod left us.

He kind of reminded me of Jooris' 1st camp last year, not quite as strong, but similar.

Another bottom 6 player coming out of nowhere. "Bottom" 6 has negative connotations, but holy crap, it seriously shouldn't.

Those are important spots.

He kind of reminded me of Jooris' 1st camp last year, not quite as strong, but similar.

Another bottom 6 player coming out of nowhere. "Bottom" 6 has negative connotations, but holy crap, it seriously shouldn't.

Those are important spots.

In today's day in age if you don't have a good bottom 6 you go nowhere. In fact I think the biggest problem with Darryl Sutters flames was their draft record and development meant there was never an effective bottom 6. We are seeing right now the benefits of solid development and the impact on your depth. Personally I would love to be in a situation where the flames have an entirely homegrown bottom 6 and keep it that way.

Personally I would love to be in a situation where the flames have an entirely homegrown bottom 6 and keep it that way.

We have a lot of things going right in our system.

This was diagnosed as likely a 2nd last finish.

Hathaway's a great signing to strengthen the competition stepping forward.

Welcome to our rebilt! lol

I think he has limited NHL upside. More of a depth signing. That said, I said the same thing about Jooris. You never know.

What makes it interesting is that he is posting better numbers than Bouma, while doing the things that endear Bouma to us. He may not make the show, but it's great to have guy that will sacrifice so much in a "development" league.

I think he has limited NHL upside. More of a depth signing. That said, I said the same thing about Jooris. You never know.

You have to give the Flames coaching system in the AHL and NHL credit for a number of incredible development advances we've seen.

Still, I feel like they could get a bit more creative with their signings.   

You have to give the Flames coaching system in the AHL and NHL credit for a number of incredible development advances we've seen.

Still, I feel like they could get a bit more creative with their signings.   

Maybe.  But for every Russell you get fourth Smiths.  When the Flames lacked legitimate prospects it made sense to roll the dice on a number of possibilities.  But right now the Flames prospects are the possibilities. In fact, I would prefer to see some Ben Street type signings.  Permanent AHL players that will produce and not get lost to NHL call-ups.  Sometimes it takes an NHL contract to get these guys, but I think its worth it to have some stability on your farm team.  I see Hathaway in that ilk.  Though, like Jooris, he may prove me wrong.  

• 2 weeks later...

He is another quality prospect to add to a very deep pool of prospects. I wonder with all these excellent guys coming up if we won't see a few get moved in the off season to acquire another top 4 D-man.

I was impressed with Hathaway every time I watched him over the summer and during the season in Adirondack.

• 2 months later...

Archived