Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

Whether or not this is his last hire depends entirely how this goes. If it goes well (open to debate what well means) then Treliving likely stays. 

But I do agree Treliving won't get to "fire" another coach but he might get to hire another one. We'll find out. 

Warming: There is some language that is not appropriate for younger viewers, and Mods if this breaks any rules please remove the video.

Kypreos and MacLean are suggesting that Treliving was heavily involved in the coaching and may have been in charge of the lineup card under Geoff Ward. 

I think that that happens more than we think, but it definitely won't happen with Sutter behind the bench.

I tend to not believe a single thing Kyp says when it comes to the Flames.  Maybe he gets it right 10% of the time, but I think this is a reach.

Leivo is a perfect example of why I don't think BT was in on the lineup decisions.

He was supposedly brought in as a potential top 6 RW.

He played there sporadically.

And was dropped to 4th line or popcorn spot often.

Anyway, I think the comparison between BP and Dutter is interesting.  Maybe they hated him, but boy they could score in his system and deployments.

If they tired of him, it was more in his post playoff season, where he tried things to fix the problems he saw in the playoffs.

But that's just an opinion.  Not an "insider" like Kyp, and not as smart as MacLean.  

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I tend to not believe a single thing Kyp says when it comes to the Flames.  Maybe he gets it right 10% of the time, but I think this is a reach.

Leivo is a perfect example of why I don't think BT was in on the lineup decisions.

He was supposedly brought in as a potential top 6 RW.

He played there sporadically.

And was dropped to 4th line or popcorn spot often.

Anyway, I think the comparison between BP and Dutter is interesting.  Maybe they hated him, but boy they could score in his system and deployments.

If they tired of him, it was more in his post playoff season, where he tried things to fix the problems he saw in the playoffs.

But that's just an opinion.  Not an "insider" like Kyp, and not as smart as MacLean.  

the only lineup thing I can see BT changing was putting Bennett in theTop 6. Ward and Bennett go together like oil and water.

maybe he had input on who was in the lineup, but I dunno. To me it was weird that guys who tried and had good games were out while others were in...

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

the only lineup thing I can see BT changing was putting Bennett in theTop 6. Ward and Bennett go together like oil and water.

maybe he had input on who was in the lineup, but I dunno. To me it was weird that guys who tried and had good games were out while others were in...

It's just talk, so I don't buy it.  If he was starting to make the lineup decisions, that was when he was getting ready to fire Ward.

IMHO, Ward was done weeks ago, and they just needed to get the guy they wanted.  

We will never hear what went down, but it's possible that Sutter was mulling it over even before the Ottawa series.

This really feels making a story out of nothing. It sounds very common to me for GMs and coaches to speak often on lineups and it’s not like the flames did crazy stuff with their lineups. Also I’d Treliving was basically writing the lineup why was a FA signing of his in Leivo basically benched?

I could see this as a thing towards the end of wards tenure. I’m sure Treliving did start spending a lot of time there but when things were going as bad as they were I would too. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, rickross said:

We were supposed to be within reach of contending for a Cup...this team has a “2-3 year window” BT proclaimed!!..and now here we are about to enter another rebuild. 😫

the team is a top6 player away from competing, so they make all of their Top6 players play across 3 different lines. Go figure!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rickross said:

We were supposed to be within reach of contending for a Cup...this team has a “2-3 year window” BT proclaimed!!..and now here we are about to enter another rebuild. 😫

what’s the plan going into the deadline? Who is expendable? Who do you keep to build around? 

I can’t see this as a year to add. 

Just now, robrob74 said:

what’s the plan going into the deadline? Who is expendable? Who do you keep to build around? 

Bennett is gone, Gio should be shipped while there’s still value. One of or both Gaudreau/Monny need to be considered. The big issue this year is the flat cap...it might limit some potential moves. I’m thinking the expansion draft is when the biggest moves are made. 

3 minutes ago, rickross said:

Bennett is gone, Gio should be shipped while there’s still value. One of or both Gaudreau/Monny need to be considered. The big issue this year is the flat cap...it might limit some potential moves. I’m thinking the expansion draft is when the biggest moves are made. 

Cant we retain cap? What if we retain up to 50% of the cap on some contracts, at least the expiring ones. I’d have to go look at who is expired after this season. 

plus, if they’re not going to compete next year, why not retain some of the cap hits if you’re getting more return if you do. 

• Like 1

Yeah it’s a good point, retaining cap is a major asset this year. I’m sure we could but I think BT would prefer not too. Once you’re gone so is your cap hit! As it should be. Retaining cap is I’m sure something he’s considered, just depends on what’s coming back I imagine. Either way we should be fairly busy come TDL, if not we’re busy come this expansion draft. There’s just no way we have the same roster going into next season 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I'm at a loss .

I don't expect miracles after 7 games , but it's painfully apparent our top is not our top. 

I know he scored a goal tonight but we already knew Johnny can't thrive when tightly checked ..now we see he can barely function on a tight checking team 

The 2 week wait for a trade isn't really an issue cuz would we really be worse off with Johnny and Monahan out of the lineup?  Would we notice ?

I say save the big moves for the offseason.. make a deal to bring in Hall on a cheap trade.. don't even have to protect him, he's a UFA so we just gotta hope they don't just sign him on the kraken 

Try to add some kind of firepower ..  if all is lost by April 12, move Gio for picks to a contender 

Move Johnny and Mony in the offseason..you don't need stars back..build the team around Hall Tkachuk and Lindholm

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm at a loss .

I don't expect miracles after 7 games , but it's painfully apparent our top is not our top. 

I know he scored a goal tonight but we already knew Johnny can't thrive when tightly checked ..now we see he can barely function on a tight checking team 

The 2 week wait for a trade isn't really an issue cuz would we really be worse off with Johnny and Monahan out of the lineup?  Would we notice ?

I say save the big moves for the offseason.. make a deal to bring in Hall on a cheap trade.. don't even have to protect him, he's a UFA so we just gotta hope they don't just sign him on the kraken 

Try to add some kind of firepower ..  if all is lost by April 12, move Gio for picks to a contender 

Move Johnny and Mony in the offseason..you don't need stars back..build the team around Hall Tkachuk and Lindholm

Personally I’d prefer not to have Hall on this team. Let’s keep in mind who’s coaching this team now...Hall is not his type of player. This team lacks star power...we need impactful players. Hall can put up points but he’s not impactful in my opinion.  Im thinking Tre tries to avoid blowing the entire team up and stacks some picks as currency to land bigger fish. He doesn’t have time to draft and develop a star, his job gets Jess secure every game they play

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm at a loss .

that all sounds logical to me. 
but I think they’re trending down now, so do we try to salvage some points and earn our way to picking 7th or 8th overall, or do we trade away a few more pieces and go down to 3rd or 4th overall?

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

that all sounds logical to me. 
but I think they’re trending down now, so do we try to salvage some points and earn our way to picking 7th or 8th overall, or do we trade away a few more pieces and go down to 3rd or 4th overall?

You still want to maximize return .. Johnny and Mony Need to be exposed to the entire league not just the handful of contenders .. 

I say trade for Hall cheap now cuz you get a bigger window to resign him 

Gio .will be most valuable to a team that's headed on a run ..you're not getting players back for him so you go for the late first  and eat half his salary to get maybe a second pick and a b prospect ..also helps with your expansion dilemma 

With Johnny Mony and Gio off the books you can go after players like Hoffman too 

Depending on the Eichel situation , you can take a serious run but not sure we have what they want 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rickross said:

Personally I’d prefer not to have Hall on this team. Let’s keep in mind who’s coaching this team now...Hall is not his type of player. This team lacks star power...we need impactful players. Hall can put up points but he’s not impactful in my opinion.  Im thinking Tre tries to avoid blowing the entire team up and stacks some picks as currency to land bigger fish. He doesn’t have time to draft and develop a star, his job gets Jess secure every game they play

and that is totally why they go after Hall, it’s a panic move and an exchange for Gaudreau’s numbers. May not be in the same deal but kind of a trade off in talent. 

Who is looking to compete now and have some young up and coming centers who are around 2-3 years away? The Rangers? 

I can see Johnny thriving in a tight checking game if he head better talent supporting him. It’s really the fact that he doesn’t have other options to skate with the puck. 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

You still want to maximize return .. Johnny and Mony Need to be exposed to the entire league not just the handful of contenders .. 

I say trade for Hall cheap now cuz you get a bigger window to resign him 

Gio .will be most valuable to a team that's headed on a run ..you're not getting players back for him so you go for the late first  and eat half his salary to get maybe a second pick and a b prospect ..also helps with your expansion dilemma 

With Johnny Mony and Gio off the books you can go after players like Hoffman too 

Depending on the Eichel situation , you can take a serious run but not sure we have what they want 

ya, that all sounds good to me. It’s why I think you load up a Johnny line now and lose 4-3 games where he’s getting 1.5-2 points a game and jack up the price. I just think he’s got too little mobility options on his line and it’s dragging him down. 

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk 

Or 

go back to 

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm 

and they get points and the team’s  depth is still shallow. 

14 minutes ago, rickross said:

I'd have to disagree...  Buffalo is a tire fire.. even Eichel sucks there 

I think Hall could be exactly what Sutter wants..

He can play in close , he throws body checks ..he digs in corners ..he can give and receive in the offense ..  he can create plays . 

Sutter literally is probabaly exactly what he needs 

Johnny is trying to play what Sutter wants..he's just not capable 

And the good news is thanks to the tire fire Sabres, and the flat cap..his price is not what it would have been 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

He can play in close , he throws body checks ..he digs in corners ..he can give and receive in the offense ..  he can create plays . 

And the good news is thanks to the tire fire Sabres, and the flat cap..his price is not what it would have been 

I could see a line of Gaudreau and Hall, just not Monahan.

I don't know if the problem with the pair is lacking that 3rd dynamic player or not.

Moving Lindholm wasn't a bad idea, but it killed the offence from Gaudreau and Monahan.

BT is going to have to makes trades now to avoid failling too much farter.

Or he's going to have to sell off any decent player on an expiring deal.

Maybe even one not expiring.

57 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know if the problem with the pair is lacking that 3rd dynamic player or not.

Moving Lindholm wasn't a bad idea, but it killed the offence from Gaudreau and Monahan.

Noooooooooo..no more trades.Treliving.hasn;t a clue how to evaluate talent.or build a team.. He has to go before he makes any trades

57 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Hall is a good player for sure but he’s not a complete 2 way player. That’s what Mr Sutter commands from his players, especially his Centres where Hall occasionally plays. His defence is lacking, he’s fast but he tends to get injured to. My primary issue with Taylor is he doesn’t make the players around him better, he’s dependent on others for his scoring. Your not signing Hall for his play making ability.  I just think we need more play makers, impact players , swagger!..we need true stars on this team.