Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

2 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I  get the hate on the brouwer contract, but at 4 years( he only has 3 left) who exactly is he preventing us from signing? I get that everyone hates the deal, but our Defence is deep, and our forward group is deep at this point. So hes not exactly preventing anything, and its not causing any harm, so for everyone that complains about the brouwer, stone etc contracts, they arent causing any issues. I get that everyone could say we could acquire a top RW with that cap space, but who exactly is that top RW, because I have pointed out that the top RW's in the league are almost impossible to acquire.

I dont get the complaints about contracts anymore, as long as BT manages the cap and puts a great team on the ice who cares.

I agree, so many fans think they are better managers of the purse than the GM actually doing it. I would dare guess management has looked ahead for possible planning moves they could make. In the meantime nobody should be complaining about what BT has put in place over the past few weeks.

BTW I will mention this here, I have been really impressed with the reaction of the players coming to Calgary and the comments about out first class organization. This is a huge compliment for how BT must go about his business. You always want players honestly about being with a new team.

Also I'm not worried about Brouwer and fully expect him to be much better this coming season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

I agree, so many fans think they are better managers of the purse than the GM actually doing it. I would dare guess management has looked ahead for possible planning moves they could make. In the meantime nobody should be complaining about what BT has put in place over the past few weeks.

BTW I will mention this here, I have been really impressed with the reaction of the players coming to Calgary and the comments about out first class organization. This is a huge compliment for how BT must go about his business. You always want players honestly about being with a new team.

Also I'm not worried about Brouwer and fully expect him to be much better this coming season.

I agree completely. I dont honestly care if brouwer is better(id love it if it happens), but at the end of the day im not going to worry about his contract arm chair gming or not, I dont think its the end of the world. I get that people dont want to see stajan on his contract, or bouma, brouwer, engelland(when he was here), stone, etc but its getting pretty ridiculous, I dont expect BT to lose any of our core guys over those players.

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I dont know about that bonino doesnt produce at the same pace as backlund, and I would argue backlund is better defensively.

I don't know if I agree with you here, maybe marginally better but not out of this world better. I like Backlund but I really don't see paying him anymore than 5M if that high.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

I don't know if I agree with you here, maybe marginally better but not out of this world better. I like Backlund but I really don't see paying him anymore than 5M if that high.

True, its totally possible the market changes, I think it will really depend how backlund performs this season. I think we can all agree it would be awesome to keep him around at 4-4.5

2 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

True, its totally possible the market changes, I think it will really depend how backlund performs this season. I think we can all agree it would be awesome to keep him around at 4-4.5

Even if you go 5.5M for 5 years then you are making a commitment to him as your #2 C which means there may be other plans for Bennett. If you go this route with Backlund then I would agree with some others that are keeping the 3M line together. This line would have to grow with Tkachuk and provide more production.

12 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Part of the equation for our window opening up, is that our division is probably at its weakest right now. 

Arizona, Vegas, and Vancouver will all be bottom feeders.

SJ and LA are trending in the wrong direction.

Anaheim and Edmonton are stagnant.

We have a real chance to push through to the top of the division right now.

Exactly.

No way Arizona, Vegas, and Vancouver make the playoffs next season.  LA is stagnant with enough talent to win games but not enough young blood to balance off the aging players.

I think SJ will continue to contend.  They lose Thornton and Marleau but unlike LA, have some untapped potential with guys like Donskoi, Meiers, and Jones is a goalie trending into elite status.

Anaheim and Edmonton are the two teams to beat in the division and they both have holes.  The Flames overall are more well rounded up and down the depth chart.  Can't blame BT for feeling an opportunity to go for it this year.

Now that the dust is settling around the league,  you really gotta hand it to BT and appreciate what he's been able to do .

He has the team set up for at least the next 2-3 years, with successors somewhat in place for continuation beyond that .

He has our 2 biggest stars locked up for less than what Connor himself will make. 

He has arguably the best top 5 D core in the league locked up for at least 2 years, for less than we paid our D last year 

By the time we have to pay Tkachuk, money will be coming off the books and cheaper replacements will have taken their place. Bennett's struggles could end up being a godsend as now hes likely looking at a 2-3 year bridge 

Backlund is the only one who is a question mark , and he will likely be locked up before the season starts

I personally cant think of another team in the league that is more stable with an open window, that isnt being forced to dismantle, or facing a tire fire in the near future.

Pittsburgh just lost key pieces, Washington the same. Nashville Maybe is the closest but not sure what their cupboards look like.. Minnesota,,, maybe 

Edmonton has one year to get it done, before they have to start making decisions on who to lose..Nurse?  Maroon?.. and they have virtually nobody on the farm and they have done virtually nothing to go all in for a run this year .. they better hope the experience makes their D better for next year 

Toronto has one year before Nylander comes up, 2 for Matthews.. so depending on how they handle the whack of UFA's next summer, they have at best a 2 year window..   

Chicago is trying to keep their window open one more year , but I personally think they messed up by purging youth for reclamation ..but truth is they havent wont a cup since Kane and Toewe's deals kicked in . One will likely have to get moved after next year .

Who knows what Montreal is doing ..

Dallas is looking good, admittedly , but they dont have near the defense we do 

To look at it now, BT stayed ahead of the curve.. reality is we are a contender now, and set up to keep the ball rolling . We dont have a Major decision to make until  Tkachuk in 2019 and  TJ, Hamonic and Stone in 2010. Just the annual spare part turnover and likely the same RW questions .

Literally No team is in the position we are now .

Give him credit ,   he said after the playoffs Its time to raise the bar and that "it starts  with me"..  hes definitely walked the walk

We still have to play the games obviously , but man its apparent now what he has done .

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Now that the dust is settling around the league,  you really gotta hand it to BT and appreciate what he's been able to do .

He has the team set up for at least the next 2-3 years, with successors somewhat in place for continuation beyond that .

He has our 2 biggest stars locked up for less than what Connor himself will make. 

He has arguably the best top 5 D core in the league locked up for at least 2 years, for less than we paid our D last year 

By the time we have to pay Tkachuk, money will be coming off the books and cheaper replacements will have taken their place. Bennett's struggles could end up being a godsend as now hes likely looking at a 2-3 year bridge 

Backlund is the only one who is a question mark , and he will likely be locked up before the season starts

I personally cant think of another team in the league that is more stable with an open window, that isnt being forced to dismantle, or facing a tire fire in the near future.

Pittsburgh just lost key pieces, Washington the same. Nashville Maybe is the closest but not sure what their cupboards look like.. Minnesota,,, maybe 

Edmonton has one year to get it done, before they have to start making decisions on who to lose..Nurse?  Maroon?.. and they have virtually nobody on the farm and they have done virtually nothing to go all in for a run this year .. they better hope the experience makes their D better for next year 

Toronto has one year before Nylander comes up, 2 for Matthews.. so depending on how they handle the whack of UFA's next summer, they have at best a 2 year window..   

Chicago is trying to keep their window open one more year , but I personally think they messed up by purging youth for reclamation ..but truth is they havent wont a cup since Kane and Toewe's deals kicked in . One will likely have to get moved after next year .

Who knows what Montreal is doing ..

Dallas is looking good, admittedly , but they dont have near the defense we do 

To look at it now, BT stayed ahead of the curve.. reality is we are a contender now, and set up to keep the ball rolling . We dont have a Major decision to make until  Tkachuk in 2019 and  TJ, Hamonic and Stone in 2010. Just the annual spare part turnover and likely the same RW questions .

Literally No team is in the position we are now .

Give him credit ,   he said after the playoffs Its time to raise the bar and that "it starts  with me"..  hes definitely walked the walk

We still have to play the games obviously , but man its apparent now what he has done .

Good analysis. BT did apply his focus to the need areas which was good to see. Now it is GG's job to get them lined up properly.

• Like 1

Im proud of what he has done yes he Gave away Draft Picks but like i have said before it takes a Price to better your Team and Bt was willing to pay that price to better the team not just for today but also for the future not leaving us strapped at a year aswell the 2 players we signed arnt big contracts so that still leaves us room to do something if we need to make a trade or whatever mid Season

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Edmonton has one year to get it done, before they have to start making decisions on who to lose..Nurse?  Maroon?.. and they have virtually nobody on the farm and they have done virtually nothing to go all in for a run this year

I don't know how you can say they have nobody on farm i'm very confused with that? Oilslicks have been picking higher than us for yrs and have had way more picks almost every yr so what makes you think there cupboards are bear? Now I don't know how talented there kids are but they have a ton more prospects in the system and waiting to be signed last yr alone they picked I think 9 or more players? maybe yr before but I know they usually have more and higher picks than CGY.

Just now, zima said:

I don't know how you can say they have nobody on farm i'm very confused with that? Oilslicks have been picking higher than us for yrs and have had way more picks almost every yr so what makes you think there cupboards are bear? Now I don't know how talented there kids are but they have a ton more prospects in the system and waiting to be signed last yr alone they picked I think 9 or more players? maybe yr before but I know they usually have more and higher picks than CGY.

Odd that is not my post or I should say I didn't say that.

I just seen it at bottom read and Quoted I guess was Pheonix that you had quoted my bad but irregardless I think it still stands that they have a ton of Propects me thinks probably twice what we have mostly because we keep given them away. We gave our top 3 picks for Hamilton we have given away a few 2nd and 3rd rounders in the last draft and seems more next draft. I know we picked up a couple kids from college but we are way behind Oilslicks in the amount of draft picks.Now saying that since we are set for a few yrs and only a chosen few really ever make it we are ok but future is still a crap shoot because we could have given away another JH or mono type player to become a contender earlier than planed. Hope it works because in the very near future we could be hooped.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zima said:

I just seen it at bottom read and Quoted I guess was Pheonix that you had quoted my bad but irregardless I think it still stands that they have a ton of Propects me thinks probably twice what we have mostly because we keep given them away. We gave our top 3 picks for Hamilton we have given away a few 2nd and 3rd rounders in the last draft and seems more next draft. I know we picked up a couple kids from college but we are way behind Oilslicks in the amount of draft picks.Now saying that since we are set for a few yrs and only a chosen few really ever make it we are ok but future is still a crap shoot because we could have given away another JH or mono type player to become a contender earlier than planed. Hope it works because in the very near future we could be hooped.

For the forward group, it looks like we will have close to elite top 3 on our team. Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuk. 

That is not saying they play together, but it could be an option. Tkachuk could be the player that makes space for them, and might bring them into the grit like he did with Backlund and Frolik; which is why I am hesitant to break up the Backlund, Frolik, Tkachuk line. 

44 minutes ago, zima said:

cuz theyve been bad for so long their decent draft picks go right to the big team.. Puljarvi (sp?) is about the only decent prospect they have 

35 minutes ago, zima said:

Go look at the Bakersfield Condors stats from last year.  What great prospects do they have there that have any NHL upside?  Most of those that did are on the NHL team.

They have guys in junior like Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones, but they are the few and far between.  Their newest guys are just that.  New draft picks.

We have one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL.  You may not see it, but it's there.  When you can let guys like Falkowsky go, you know you have enough depth at that position.  Two AHL capable goalies and two relegated to the ECHL, plus another guy that will stay in junior.  Traded away one we didn't even have space in the system for.

Our forward group consists of guys that could make many NHL teams and some guys that were rookies last season.

30 minutes ago, zima said:

You could better discuss the Oilers in NHL Talk section as I have no idea who on their farm you think is any good. I would say BT attacked our needs by using some high picks intelligently to fill more immediate needs. Hamilton was better use of that particular #1 for that draft IMO. Now adding Hamonic when Hamilton has the experience now gives us a very good top 4 defense for another 3 years. Stone allows us time to get our RHSD pipeline in better shape but even then we have Andersson and Fox for now. Our LHSD has plenty of potential 4 to 5 deep. How good or how deep our forwards are will be a real test in 2017/18 and which players end up in Stockton. I like how it could take shape.

Goalies we are in very good shape.

22 hours ago, MAC331 said:

You could better discuss the Oilers in NHL Talk section as I have no idea who on their farm you think is any good. I would say BT attacked our needs by using some high picks intelligently to fill more immediate needs

Hold on there young fellow I never said they were better I said they had way more prospects. I was commenting on Pheonix66 whom I thought was your comment so relax. I thought he meant they were with out a ton of prospects I commented on that assumption. My opinion is if you through enough sh%$t against the wall something will stick hence why we have 7 rounds of picks. We hope every season 1 of the 7 picks we get will become something even at 7th round we have had luck at 3rd and 4th even 6th that works with all teams. The more the merrier better chance of getting that young man who can become a staple on a NHL team. 

1 minute ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Where do you get the idea they have way more prospects?

Well I'm not going to go into it to far already getting move to Oilers so will say this think about how many picks they have had in the last 4 seasons compared to us I know 1 season they had over 9 picks to our 6 and it has been like that for yrs. Now again not saying what they do have are better just saying they have way more quantity perhaps less quality I guess it is all suggestive isn't it depends who you ask what side of the Alberta border? 

13 minutes ago, zima said:

Hold on there young fellow I never said they were better I said they had way more prospects. I was commenting on Pheonix66 whom I thought was your comment so relax. I thought he meant they were with out a ton of prospects I commented on that assumption. My opinion is if you through enough sh%$t against the wall something will stick hence why we have 7 rounds of picks. We hope every season 1 of the 7 picks we get will become something even at 7th round we have had luck at 3rd and 4th even 6th that works with all teams. The more the merrier better chance of getting that young man who can become a staple on a NHL team. 

I guess it depends on your definition of Prospects.

I mean , both calgary and edmonton have fully stocked AHL and ECHL teams so you could say we both have the same amount, but to me a prospect is someone you groom who has a legitimate shot at becoming a contributing player on your big team.

Its obvious BT feels the same way just based on how he cleaned out the farm team last year . He deleted good AHL players, but they were all deemed not good enough to become Calgary Flames .

Edmonton's top farm goalie is Jonas Gustafsson  a fringe NHL'er.. hes there because he wasn't good enough to be the backup .. we have 3 goalies in the pipleline projected to be NHL starters.

The only prospect of note for Edmonton is Pulljarrvi.. we have Dmen knocking on the door.. an entire pool of prospects projected to be our team in 5-6 years. Edmonton doesn't have that quality in their pipeline due to an inability to draft well past the 1st round 

Bakersfield had 8 players last season born in 1990 or earlier.. Stockton had 5.. one was Brandon Bollig who was buried there , one was Keith Aulie.. on loan from another team for depth..

11 minutes ago, zima said:

Well I'm not going to go into it to far already getting move to Oilers so will say this think about how many picks they have had in the last 4 seasons compared to us I know 1 season they had over 9 picks to our 6 and it has been like that for yrs. Now again not saying what they do have are better just saying they have way more quantity perhaps less quality I guess it is all suggestive isn't it depends who you ask what side of the Alberta border? 

since 2014-- Flames have picked 33 times  Edmonton , 28

25 minutes ago, zima said:

Once again I have no idea what you are going on about. I suggested taking this conversation to the NHL Talk section, that is all.

No way really thats crazy I have watch the oilers picking in the 9 to ten picks in a draft while we had 5 or 6 so colour me surprised so where is this info im sure I watched a couple of drafts where Oilslicks picked way more than us and if we didn't pick in 2015 till last 4 round given away picks galore I don't know how that could be. Very strange last picks we gave away 2nd and 3rd given away 2 picks to get Kyl a few yrs back I guess I have missed something along the way. Oilers must have sacrificed a bunch to move up that im not aware of but no surprise missing something like that don't really pay to much attention to what Oilers do.  

23 hours ago, MAC331 said:

You could better discuss the Oilers in NHL Talk section as I have no idea who on their farm you think is any good

? Again never said they were better just thought they had way more and now I will have been proven wrong once again I guess what I have seen and what is reality is just in my little mind And so it goes.

16 minutes ago, zima said:

? Again never said they were better just thought they had way more and now I will have been proven wrong once again I guess what I have seen and what is reality is just in my little mind And so it goes.

Bigger question is which prospects of theirs are any good, do you know ?