Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

I'll give credit to BT for acquiring Smith and Hamonic. Yes, they were costly but he also snagged Spencer Foo so hopefully that eases the loss of a pick or 2. It's a huge blow to the Oilers though...hometown kid grew up idolizing the Oil only to sign to the Flames lol...u just can't write this stuff. Same type of backhanded slap Versteeg laid on them when he left their training camp to sign with us. Same drop kick Hamonic applied when he they failed to acquire him too. He's proven to be a savvy GM...he's been stealing headlines since he arrived!

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Oh right.  Louie Eriksson too.

Brouwer still a top 5 worst.

I haven't given up on Brouwer yet, I'm thinking he's determined to have a bounce back season...not to mention he needed last season to get acclimated with new teammates, different line mates and coaches. I'll pass judgement on him after this season but he's on a short leash. I'd agree though Ladd, Eriksson and Lucic have been worse signings so far. They're all long term deals so there's still time for redemption. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rickross said:

I haven't given up on Brouwer yet, I'm thinking he's determined to have a bounce back season...not to mention he needed last season to get acclimated with new teammates, different line mates and coaches. I'll pass judgement on him after this season but he's on a short leash. I'd agree though Ladd, Eriksson and Lucic have been worse signings so far. They're all long term deals so there's still time for redemption. 

One year simply does not provide enough information to make an intelligent decision about him. It does shorten the leash as you said.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

One year simply does not provide enough information to make an intelligent decision about him. It does shorten the leash as you said.

There's a lot of hope in my comment about Brouwer lol..I think he has it in him. He really did bounce around from line to line so it's hard to find consistency. Bottom line the guy is cashing out hard with solid term...he's gotta have the integrity to want to earn his wage, so for now it's a clean slate for me with Troy. If he fails to produce again this year I'll never refer to him as Brouwer again...just Troy from that point on lol

Lazar and Bennett also need to find success next season...we can't be stuck with our 2nd line carrying the team for half the year. Flames will need solid scoring depth if they plan on going deep in the playoffs

Brouwer could bounce back and I still think he will be a top 5 worst FA signing of last offseason. That deal was just bad the second it was signed. The positive is Treliving thus far how shown he is willing to, and does, learn from his mistakes. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Brouwer could bounce back and I still think he will be a top 5 worst FA signing of last offseason. That deal was just bad the second it was signed. The positive is Treliving thus far how shown he is willing to, and does, learn from his mistakes. 

I don't follow. Why would you assume that it is a poor signing if he bounces back? I was disappointed in him because I expected more physical play from him, and I thought he would be more involved in the play as he was in St. Louis. If he can be that presence, it seems like we got what we expected from him. I got worried he became infected with Widemanitis. 

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I don't follow. Why would you assume that it is a poor signing if he bounces back? I was disappointed in him because I expected more physical play from him, and I thought he would be more involved in the play as he was in St. Louis. If he can be that presence, it seems like we got what we expected from him. I got worried he became infected with Widemanitis. 

Cross hasn't liked this deal from the signing, to much term and money. I agree with the money part and after last season I agree Brouwer needs to show up in a big way for us. I have no doubt he is a character guy but on the ice he needs to be that tenacious player that is hard to play against. The line that makes sense IMO for this team next season would be Frolik LW, Backlund C, Brouwer RW. I think this gets Brouwer back into a role of responsibility playing with 2 similar veteran players that get the job done.

6 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

As MAC said i've hatted this deal since day 1 because based on his career norms, style of play and age it was a bad deal. IMO a bounce back for Brouwer is 20 ish goals and 35ish points and IMO that is still not good enough for 4.5 million for 3 more years. I also think people really overrate his physical play because they see his size and assume he is a bruiser. I've always found him under whelming from a physical standpoint so I don't expect he will bounce back there.

Unfortunately I think Treliving and co got caught up in recency bias and saw his performance in the playoffs and ignored the rest of the evidence that showed you Brouwer just wasn't that great a hockey player. 

Any time we want to criticize how BT has handled his players and contracts..  be thankful hes not Peter Chiarelli..now creating a monster . Gives me a greater appreciation for how he handled Johnny/ Mony

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/breaking-draisaitl-camp-playing-hardball-oilers-in-a-tough-spot

This has all the makings of a holdout and / or offer sheet 

Could have just signed him last summer to a bridge and avoided all this . :) 

Im not suggesting we do it.. but OMG I hope somebody does :)   He'd look awesome In Buffalo lol

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Any time we want to criticize how BT has handled his players and contracts..  be thankful hes not Peter Chiarelli..now creating a monster . Gives me a greater appreciation for how he handled Johnny/ Mony

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/breaking-draisaitl-camp-playing-hardball-oilers-in-a-tough-spot

This has all the makings of a holdout and / or offer sheet 

Could have just signed him last summer to a bridge and avoided all this . :) 

Im not suggesting we do it.. but OMG I hope somebody does :)   He'd look awesome In Buffalo lol

The term predatory is correct.  This isn't a thing where you do it to get the player, just do it to mess with the Oilers.  Chia and Oilers management have made some enemies in the years, so there is a chance a team does it.  We can't.  Vegas absolutely could.  BOS may feel like they should.   

Just now, travel_dude said:

The term predatory is correct.  This isn't a thing where you do it to get the player, just do it to mess with the Oilers.  Chia and Oilers management have made some enemies in the years, so there is a chance a team does it.  We can't.  Vegas absolutely could.  BOS may feel like they should.   

if a team offers 10?  I dont think they can match..Id LMAO if the NYI did it 

I cant be the only one who thinks this whol draisital situation is crazy, the kid had one good season, and one decent season, im not sure why hes asking for 9 million per if ryan rishaug is correct. Johnny proved alot more and signed for way less then 9 million, same with other players. The only reason i can think is that chia is a crap GM, plus draisital seems to not appreciate the way they have treated him

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Listening to TSN radio in edmonton this morning and they are talking about auston matthews maybe signing an 8 figure contract now as well, with someone from ontario. IF thats the case, its making me nervous about what bennett could want coming out of a bridge deal if he breaksout.

If Bennett breaks out to the level of those two players, then that is a fantastic problem to have. 

Just now, JTech780 said:

If Bennett breaks out to the level of those two players, then that is a fantastic problem to have. 

He doesnt have to break out much more then anyone expected, to get to the level draisital is at and hes asking for nine. Word is eichel might get an 8 figure contract as well if he has a good season. Im just saying bennett doesnt have to get mcdavid like numbers to reach 8 figures if he puts up 70 points, it sounds like the new ask.

11 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

He doesnt have to break out much more then anyone expected, to get to the level draisital is at and hes asking for nine. Word is eichel might get an 8 figure contract as well if he has a good season. Im just saying bennett doesnt have to get mcdavid like numbers to reach 8 figures if he puts up 70 points, it sounds like the new ask.

Here we go again, these NHL GMs never learn, especially the ones in EDM. Tell me why any player regardless of success surpasses the highest paid players in the league and have been here for over 8 years ??? Idiotic management.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

The thing about Draisaitl, is that if he were not in the shadow of McD, we'd be talking Johnny / Tarasenko numbers .. maybe 7 Mill ..tops

What is working against the OIlers (and Flames fans are loving it ) is the position behind McD

Yes. McD is generational ..yada yada..  but is he $7mill better than Draisaitl? A full Tarasenko Better ??

Without Leon the Ducks series is 4 maybe 5 games, McD for the most part did nothing in the playoffs , Leon was a force.

If they had held Mcd to a 5 year , say 9 mill?  let him have his payday in 5 years like all the other big names did ?  then they could hold Leon to maybe 7.

As its sits tho , if you give McD his crown at 13.5 , with all the other factors, I dont think its possible to get his camp to agree to anything less than 9 and change .. and personally just in a one on one comparison, I think they push for 10.

What i do feel tho, is that one is definitely gonna get ugly before it gets done 

9 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

The thing about Draisaitl, is that if he were not in the shadow of McD, we'd be talking Johnny / Tarasenko numbers .. maybe 7 Mill ..tops

What is working against the OIlers (and Flames fans are loving it ) is the position behind McD

Yes. McD is generational ..yada yada..  but is he $7mill better than Draisaitl? A full Tarasenko Better ??

Without Leon the Ducks series is 4 maybe 5 games, McD for the most part did nothing in the playoffs , Leon was a force.

If they had held Mcd to a 5 year , say 9 mill?  let him have his payday in 5 years like all the other big names did ?  then they could hold Leon to maybe 7.

As its sits tho , if you give McD his crown at 13.5 , with all the other factors, I dont think its possible to get his camp to agree to anything less than 9 and change .. and personally just in a one on one comparison, I think they push for 10.

What i do feel tho, is that one is definitely gonna get ugly before it gets done 

I agree completely. I know everyone is saying that hes just signing for the same percentage of the cap the other big name players did, but geez 13 million dollars? Thats 3 million more then the big name guys that have won cups etc.  I agree its going to get ugly, and im loving it, heres hoping they have to sign draisital to 9 million, id be ok with 8 million because they arent near deep  enough in talent to make up for having those 2 signed at 21 million. On a different note, mcdavid was responsible for almost 50% of the oilers even strength goals last season, and over 70% of their powerplay goals, talk about driving their offence.

14 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I agree completely. I know everyone is saying that hes just signing for the same percentage of the cap the other big name players did, but geez 13 million dollars? Thats 3 million more then the big name guys that have won cups etc.  I agree its going to get ugly, and im loving it, heres hoping they have to sign draisital to 9 million, id be ok with 8 million because they arent near deep  enough in talent to make up for having those 2 signed at 21 million. On a different note, mcdavid was responsible for almost 50% of the oilers even strength goals last season, and over 70% of their powerplay goals, talk about driving their offence.

Yeah, I get where you are coming from, but the cap keeps going up, but the salaries don't.

When Ovechkin signed his deal it was for 19.1% of the cap, McDavid would be for 17.1% of the cap.

It sucks but it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah, I get where you are coming from, but the cap keeps going up, but the salaries don't.

When Ovechkin signed his deal it was for 19.1% of the cap, McDavid would be for 17.1% of the cap.

It sucks but it makes sense.

I dont know where everyone gets this number according to cap friendly, and according to my own math it was 16.8% of the cap of 56.7 million when his contract was signed in 2008. That aside that means the salary cap has gone up 16 million approximately, while the salary of the superstar has gone up 4 million in terms of cap hit.  Maybe im wrong on the math, I know the media has been saying 19% for ovechkin, either way interesting situation.