Random Thoughts or Discussion about the Season 14-15

DL44

Anything ya wanna discuss crap that isn't thread worthy?

Or sh** happening around the league in general?

- Marchand suspended a couple gms... for a slewfoot.... thought Brassard's R knee was done for... such a rat player. I really wonder if I would/could cheer for him if he were on my team... He's one of those players that supposedly you would love on your team, but don't think i could see that..

- Loving Florida's success.

- Buffalo has now lost 9 in a row in regulation... shoulda looked that up before picking em to win the other night in that other damned stupid thread. They're making a serious run for 20% of the balls.

- Tampa the highest scoring team in the league... Nashville leaders for the Jennings (maybe not for long)

- Biggest knock on St.Louis in past playoffs is being unable to score - Presently #2 in the league!

- 2 best PP's in the league: the aforementioned Blues at #1... and #2 ------- the Blue Jackets! I know huh.

- LA is stuck in some mediocrity here... they need D. Who thought that woulda been an issue? Too bad they don't get to play the Canucks 20 times a year..

- I figured Minny's goaltending was going to let them down this year - but wow... Dubnyk's turn. Shutout is not a bad way to start.

- Calder finalists look like they're locked in now for over a couple months)... Gaudreau, Ekblad, Forsberg.

- Flyers suck horribly. How they have scooped up 41 pts is amazing to me considering their defensive organization.

- Boston is back from the dead with 5 straight wins.

- I like the All-star jerseys.

- Can't wait to see who the last player picked for the All-Star teams will be... Bet they choose one of the rookies knowing the crap Kessel took for it last time...

I also enjoy the new home All-star Jerseys. Minny's goaltending has been iffy for a few years now. Dubnyk isn't exactly an answer, but if nothing else he isn't as likely to get injured (could be wrong, but I can't recall him having an injury in pro). But who knows, he may have finally worked the Oilers out of him and maybe he becomes a star, or at least the kind of backup teams will overpay for the 30 games a year. Florida I don't mind, it's nice to see traditionally bad teams get a bit of success, especially when they work hard for it (like Columbus and Florida).

All-star teams are going to be interesting, I am a little curious who goes to which team. And I think all 6 rookies will likely go in a row as they wont be playing in the game so rookies after the actual roster. It's nice to know Gio will finally get drafted.

RE: All Star Game

I don't get the meaning of it anymore.  Pick a minimum of 1 player from each team, have a fan popularity contest, and put it all together in a shinny game. Do players even take slapshots during the game? It reminds me of watching an alumni game.

At least do something to spark some interest; have team North America Allstars play against the Euro All Stars.

I've always enjoyed the All-Star Games.  As a kid, it was all about seeing the stars and fan-favourites in one place at one time, kicking back and enjoying themselves in a friendly pick-up game.  In my later teens, I knew it was all about shmoozing for the corporate sponsors, but I still enjoyed seeing the stars of the game getting together and just enjoying the game for what it is.....a game.

I know it's a meaningless game, but every once in awhile it's nice to take a break from the breakneck pace and the seriousness of the regular season. Sure, it's right in the middle of the season, when everyone "should be making a focused push for the playoffs" (although, in reality, the "focus on a playoff push" starts about the third week of October now :blink: ), but I think this is still a nice idea: a small little nod to the origins of the game, much like the outdoor games were created as.  It also kind of serves as a tangible indicator to the players that "hey, this is the unofficial halfway mark of the season. Time to find that next gear now"

I don't think I've watched an All-Star game in over 10 years.

I do however watch the skill competitions avidly.

To give it more meaning they should go back to the East vs West format.

How about a Canada vs World format?

Of course, a Bettman veto would change that to a USA vs World format.

RE: All Star Game

I don't get the meaning of it anymore. Pick a minimum of 1 player from each team, have a fan popularity contest, and put it all together in a shinny game. Do players even take slapshots during the game? It reminds me of watching an alumni game.

At least do something to spark some interest; have team North America Allstars play against the Euro All Stars.

Agreed. If they are going to do it I want to see the best players in the world on the ice together. The fan voting is an embarrassment and being forced to bring less then all star players to meet the 1 per team quota is ridiculous.

It will still be shinny hockey. But at least we get to see the best of the best.

To me the All Star Game always sounds entertaining in theory, but then when it actually comes time to watch it I'm bored to death. It seems like it should work. I guess I do like the skills competition, but the goofy not-even-trying shootout theatrics and shinny game just make me ill.

To me the All Star Game always sounds entertaining in theory, but then when it actually comes time to watch it I'm bored to death. It seems like it should work. I guess I do like the skills competition, but the goofy not-even-trying shootout theatrics and shinny game just make me ill.

It does work.  In so far as generating revenue and selling the game to non-hockey fans.  But as a hockey fan I can't sit through it.  

Staal, Rangers agree to terms on contract extension - NHL.com

Defenseman Marc Staal and the New York Rangers agreed to terms on a contract extension, the Rangers announced Sunday after a 5-2 win against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Terms were not disclosed, but ESPN.com reported a six-year extension with an average annual value of $5.7 million, a full no-trade clause in the first three years and a full-no movement clause.

Overpaid in my books. I think that kind of renumeration should be reserved for D with a little more offensive acumen no matter how good they are at defending.

The All-Star game is great... if you accept it for what it is..

Hands up of people who used to love it as a kid? Nothing has changed except people's level of scrutiny as they get older... and the number of outlets available to trash the event.

The game does what it's always done... brings the stars of the league together and showcases their skill for young fans and generates an opportunity for corporate relationship building with all the elite in the same town at the same time for a relaxed fun event.

It's never been a great competitive game... we just perceived it differently when we were younger.

i enjoy it still... and i've liked the various formats they've tried... But also i've never tried to over analyze and thing to point it ruined the enjoyment of the game for me... 

Never cared about snubs... i actually like that all teams are repped...

EDIT:

Just read back and see that i echo Kulstad's thoughts..

I've always enjoyed the All-Star Games.  As a kid, it was all about seeing the stars and fan-favourites in one place at one time, kicking back and enjoying themselves in a friendly pick-up game.  In my later teens, I knew it was all about shmoozing for the corporate sponsors, but I still enjoyed seeing the stars of the game getting together and just enjoying the game for what it is.....a game.

I know it's a meaningless game, but every once in awhile it's nice to take a break from the breakneck pace and the seriousness of the regular season. Sure, it's right in the middle of the season, when everyone "should be making a focused push for the playoffs" (although, in reality, the "focus on a playoff push" starts about the third week of October now :blink: ), but I think this is still a nice idea: a small little nod to the origins of the game, much like the outdoor games were created as.  It also kind of serves as a tangible indicator to the players that "hey, this is the unofficial halfway mark of the season. Time to find that next gear now"

Isn't it crazy that it appears only 9 teams in the East have a legit shot at the playoffs this early in the season...

Lots can obviously happen still, but there seems to definitely be 2 tiers in that conference...

The West looks like it still has 11 teams with Colorado and Dal clawing they're way back within range.

Minny back to the fringe of the fringe with Dubnyk.  I'm kinda cheering for them now because of that acquisition.  I think it would be an amazing story for all his reputation has been thru because of the Oilers.

The Jets look like they're for real... I thought they would of been dead and buried with all their injuries... but Byfuglien has been awesome.  I think he's deserving of Norris consideration.  And they'll only be getting healthier.

Rinne-less Preds with be interesting to see... If they tread water at 0.500 without and he comes back and pick up from where they left off... it should garner him actual Hart votes..

Anaheim sucks.

I don't remember the last time i saw 0-10-0 in the 'Last 10' category in the standings... bet it was Oiler related the last time it happened tho.

Any prediction on last pick?

I don't mind that they are elevating rookies into injury replacements... but i do feel that it stiffs players who 'deserve to be honored' with a selection to the team. It's a small accolade, but an accolade nonetheless.

--Obviously the difficulty is that players make plans after not being selected...

So instead of being embarrassed by invites being declined behind the scenes and them filling with lesser players and everyone questioning 'snubs' that actually weren't snubs, i think going the 'fill with the rookies already there route' is a good one.  Deal with less BS while being able to promote the budding stars... 

Any teams, other than the Canucks, you guys feel are in for a much different post All-star record than they did pre-all-star game?

A decent bet - The Kings.  But they haven't been as lucky in the injury department as recent past seasons... and are missing Voynov and Mitchell from their cup teams...

The Ducks - their 1 goal game shoehorn-up-their-arse run can't continue, can it? 

The clusterpuck that is the Pacific division between #2 and #5 is going to amazing watch down the stretch...

Any prediction on last pick?

Zemgus Girgensons - I think this will be a reward / revenge for the Latvian fans effort to get him playing in the ASG.

I don't mind that they are elevating rookies into injury replacements... but i do feel that it stiffs players who 'deserve to be honored' with a selection to the team. It's a small accolade, but an accolade nonetheless.

--Obviously the difficulty is that players make plans after not being selected...

Is someone choked because a Flame's rookie gets to be showcased in the ASG? :P

The NHL is in the entertainment business & as such, JH is an ideal addition. Nuck fans will be so envious.

So instead of being embarrassed by invites being declined behind the scenes and them filling with lesser players and everyone questioning 'snubs' that actually weren't snubs, i think going the 'fill with the rookies already there route' is a good one.  Deal with less BS while being able to promote the budding stars... 

Excellent save after the preceding statement. You continued presence in our Forums is now safe. :)

Any teams, other than the Canucks, you guys feel are in for a much different post All-star record than they did pre-all-star game?

The Canucks are certainly my primary pick for a hard fall. Actually it's more a wish or dream. B)

A decent bet - The Kings.  But they haven't been as lucky in the injury department as recent past seasons... and are missing Voynov and Mitchell from their cup teams...

The Ducks - their 1 goal game shoehorn-up-their-arse run can't continue, can it? 

The Ducks hold on 1st will be seriously tested. I think the Jets will falter. Colorado & Dallas scare me a bit.

The clusterpuck that is the Pacific division between #2 and #5 is going to amazing watch down the stretch...

Most definitely. The Flames are in for the fight of their life.

The All-Star game is great... if you accept it for what it is..

Hands up of people who used to love it as a kid? Nothing has changed except people's level of scrutiny as they get older... and the number of outlets available to trash the event.

The game does what it's always done... brings the stars of the league together and showcases their skill for young fans and generates an opportunity for corporate relationship building with all the elite in the same town at the same time for a relaxed fun event.

It's never been a great competitive game... we just perceived it differently when we were younger.

i enjoy it still... and i've liked the various formats they've tried... But also i've never tried to over analyze and thing to point it ruined the enjoyment of the game for me... 

Never cared about snubs... i actually like that all teams are repped...

EDIT:

Just read back and see that i echo Kulstad's thoughts..

Isn't it crazy that it appears only 9 teams in the East have a legit shot at the playoffs this early in the season...

Lots can obviously happen still, but there seems to definitely be 2 tiers in that conference...

The West looks like it still has 11 teams with Colorado and Dal clawing they're way back within range.

Minny back to the fringe of the fringe with Dubnyk.  I'm kinda cheering for them now because of that acquisition.  I think it would be an amazing story for all his reputation has been thru because of the Oilers.

The Jets look like they're for real... I thought they would of been dead and buried with all their injuries... but Byfuglien has been awesome.  I think he's deserving of Norris consideration.  And they'll only be getting healthier.

Rinne-less Preds with be interesting to see... If they tread water at 0.500 without and he comes back and pick up from where they left off... it should garner him actual Hart votes..

Anaheim sucks.

I don't remember the last time i saw 0-10-0 in the 'Last 10' category in the standings... bet it was Oiler related the last time it happened tho.

Sure, as a kid I enjoyed watching the dream teams play.  But I was young and thought it was an NHL-style game with stars.

I will admit that I will watch the game this year, just to see Johnny fly without getting nailed to the boards or cheap-shotted with hacks and minor picks.  Should be a treat to see what he can do in open ice.   

Overall I prefer them going the rookie route.

I have no issue with Ekblad, Forsberg and the other guy being added as injury replacements... Its the smart way to go and reduces other "perceived" snubs because alternative plans by the next best guy were made due to not being initially selected...

Ovi sitting on Gio's lap was pretty funny for me. Though the decision to not fill Crosby's slot is a bit annoying (though that could be biased based on the rumors of Johnny Hockey filling the role). Ovi as a whole was pretty funny throughout the whole thing, nice to see someone let loose for the media and not get judged constantly for it (even though some people still will judge them, such is life).

• 2 weeks later...

Overall I prefer them going the rookie route.

I have no issue with Ekblad, Forsberg and the other guy being added as injury replacements... Its the smart way to go and reduces other "perceived" snubs because alternative plans by the next best guy were made due to not being initially selected...

Subtle but effective. Made me laugh. :lol:

Anaheim... sucks. coming back a bit.

SJ... nice to see em lose a few in a row.

Canucks finally lost a game in hand on the flames... 2 weeks later.. Sheri's halfway there! (altho they could give it right back tonight, and then we're in the exact same spot we were in the day the "prophet" spoke)

Kings could be warming up! 2 wins! that's big for them. They haven't put up 2 wins in a row since mid-december.

Kings-Flames matchup coming up tonight is gigantic HUUUUGE! Go Kings.

How is Detroit been so headline-free? The best team in the league no one is talking about. Pretty crazy. They some buzz with their nationally televised gm last night, but got hammered by the pens...

after losing 5 of 7 and looking like they were gonna be out of it.. the Panthers are on a nice run winning 3 of 4 and right back at the heals of the Bruins.

I'm still holding faith that they'll bump the Bruins out of the playoffs. 4pts back, 2 games in hand.

Oil put Hall on IR... Sabres panic and trade Myers, Stafford and Enroth... Your move Oil.

Toronto sucks. But i think the heat on Kessel is brutal, undeserving, and misplaced.

Minny after losing 6 straight are on a 8-1-2 run... Have feasted on the Canucks for 2 of those wins.. Got a 3rd vs them in less than a week... so another 2 pts there way to make the playoff race even closer.

Benn-Seguin - took a PR beating this week. Henrik handled it as he always does - perfectly.

• 1 month later...

Islanders' Boychuk agrees to terms on new contract - nhl.com

The New York Islanders announced Thursday that defenseman Johnny Boychuk has agreed to terms on a seven-year contract.

Financial details of the contract were not released, but Newsday reported it's worth $42 million, for a $6 million annual average value.

It's not my money or business but 7 years @ $6M avg per is insane for a 31 year old player.

If NHL players keep getting faster & bigger the longevity of the players playing in the league will surely decrease.

I hope the Flames never go down this road with the aging veterans; not even for a 32 yo Gio.

Archived