Suggestion: Phil Kessel

The_People1

For the size of his contract you had better be sure he is a good fit first before taking it on right??? 

Absolutely. He also has to want to come here. Phil would be a 60+ guy on this club. If the fit and price were there i jump all over it. You don't think we need a proven 60+ guy?  Like it or not that is the price tag for what he does.

Now in reality I could see him loving to go to FLA, TB, LA, ANA, NSH any where hockey is so far removed form the spot light. Take him out of the spot light and he will regain his form once again.

I'd pass. He's a whiner. He sulks when the play doesn't go his way. You see it on camera all the time. Poor guy looks like he's going to cry. He's just sensitive. 

Still. I don't know whether he has an attitude problem. I just don't think he'd do well in Calgary. The media isn't has bad as in Toronto, but there's still a big hockey media presence in Calgary. He would do a lot better in a market where there isn't much media. 

I just don't see us winning the cup with him, nor do I see him ever winning one.

Absolutely. He also has to want to come here. Phil would be a 60+ guy on this club. If the fit and price were there i jump all over it. You don't think we need a proven 60+ guy?  Like it or not that is the price tag for what he does.

Now in reality I could see him loving to go to FLA, TB, LA, ANA, NSH any where hockey is so far removed form the spot light. Take him out of the spot light and he will regain his form once again.

I wonder if Kessel could be a 60 point player outside TO or the East? Some players are/were better suited for the less physical East. We all thought (at least I did) that Olli would be a 60+ point player coming here, but only managed that the 2nd time he was here, in his final year.

Different players react differently to different circumstances; Phil could maintain it or be another Olli.

I think we'd be taking a few steps backwards in order to shore up one line. We'd risk being just like Toronto with a one-line scoring threat in the future. 

Why do we want to go back to the days of Iggy? I think that's pretty close to what we'd be doing. Keep focus on what we're doing. Build it right. NO TO KESSEL.

Maybe they keep Kessel and win the McLottery. 

• Like 1

I think we'd be taking a few steps backwards in order to shore up one line. We'd risk being just like Toronto with a one-line scoring threat in the future.

Why do we want to go back to the days of Iggy? I think that's pretty close to what we'd be doing. Keep focus on what we're doing. Build it right. NO TO KESSEL.

Maybe they keep Kessel and win the McLottery.

As long as you aren't giving up Giordano, Brodie, Monahan, Bennett, or Gaudreau I am not concerned about that happening.

Peeps, I don't laugh at your suggestion. I totally agree but only in the right deal. His contract and term are a significant risk. The only problem I see is how such a huge term and cost will effect the dressing room. 

Toronto will not find a lot of takers on Kessel because of his contract - I see him as similar to Luongo which means I expect a very good deal. If it happens it will probably be on draft day so the Flames can see exactly what player they are giving up. 

All of the rest of it aside, locker-room, media glare, etc. Kessel like Kipper will be allowed to slip into the background where he wants to be. But like you said earlier in play style he is similar to Iginla minus the glowing personality. His style of game is similar, yes he does cherry pick, so did Iginla, but he remains a proven NHL goal scorer...

We will have to wait till draft day to see if this happens. It really depends on how badly the Leafs want to get rid of him but announcing a rebuild publicly should indicate he is on the market... RW is a huge positional problem on the Flames at the moment - he addresses it and his age fits the team...

Peeps, I don't laugh at your suggestion. I totally agree but only in the right deal. His contract and term are a significant risk. The only problem I see is how such a huge term and cost will effect the dressing room. 

Toronto will not find a lot of takers on Kessel because of his contract - I see him as similar to Luongo which means I expect a very good deal. If it happens it will probably be on draft day so the Flames can see exactly what player they are giving up. 

All of the rest of it aside, locker-room, media glare, etc. Kessel like Kipper will be allowed to slip into the background where he wants to be. But like you said earlier in play style he is similar to Iginla minus the glowing personality. His style of game is similar, yes he does cherry pick, so did Iginla, but he remains a proven NHL goal scorer...

We will have to wait till draft day to see if this happens. It really depends on how badly the Leafs want to get rid of him but announcing a rebuild publicly should indicate he is on the market... RW is a huge positional problem on the Flames at the moment - he addresses it and his age fits the team...

Very true statement Sir.  Having a RW like Phil will help the flames miles over. Yes I understand that he's not strong defensively, well neither is Johnny Hockey. We have two way forwards to help out with defense. As long as phil can put up 30-40 goals a year, then i'm a happy camper. 

Kessel needs to go to a market like florida, Phoenix, Tampa etc. one where he can operate in anonymity. From everything I've read and heard about Kessel he is very much a guy who beats to his own drum and has his own way of doing things and is reluctant to change. I think is he were to come here you would dion Phaneuf part 2. I don't think a strong leadership is going to make a huge difference because at his salary and notoriety, Kessel is always going to be a focal point regardless of how established your leadership is. His contract dictates that and his contract is not going anywhere.

First of all, if you want Kessel it will probably cost at least two of the following three players;

Monahan, Bennett, 2015 1st pick.

If you can stomach that you will then have his 8M cap hit for the next 7 years.

I you still have an appetite for this TML blunder, then you will have to put up with well known facts that have be previously stated by past coaches, here are just a couple;

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/06/ex-toronto-maple-leafs-coach-ron-wilson-sounds-off-on-uncoachable-core-phil-kessel-after-randy-carlyle-firing/

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/maple-leafs-assistant-calls-out-phil-kessel-will-toronto-overreact/

This is from a hockeyfeed article, but apparently the Rangers asked about Kessel. Toronto wants Kreider, a 2015 2nd round pick, 2016 1st round pick and either Anthony Duclair OR Brady Skjei for him. If that price doesn't come down, there is no way Calgary makes a deal for him

This is from a hockeyfeed article, but apparently the Rangers asked about Kessel. Toronto wants Kreider, a 2015 2nd round pick, 2016 1st round pick and either Anthony Duclair OR Brady Skjei for him. If that price doesn't come down, there is no way Calgary makes a deal for him

There are always rumors of crazy prices before a deal gets done.  Rarely does it come to pass.  That said, that price may not be too far off. Backlund, Baertschi, and a first were thrown around from a Calgary perspective.  

Backlund is probably in the same value range as Kreider.  Maybe he is worth a bit less.  

Our first is worth more then theirs as ours is likely going to be higher. 

Baertschi is worth Duclair/Skjei and a second.  Or at least he is in the ball park.  

First of all, if you want Kessel it will probably cost at least two of the following three players;

I you still have an appetite for this TML blunder, then you will have to put up with well known facts that have be previously stated by past coaches, here are just a couple;

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/06/ex-toronto-maple-leafs-coach-ron-wilson-sounds-off-on-uncoachable-core-phil-kessel-after-randy-carlyle-firing/

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/maple-leafs-assistant-calls-out-phil-kessel-will-toronto-overreact/

I can see it costing the Flames their 1st round 2015 but not two of the three.  No other team would be offering that much. 

Agreed Flame111, Kessel's contract is a huge negative and puts a barrier on the number of teams that can be interested.  They'll get something good but it won't be multiple blue chip prospects.  A player, prospect, and 1st round pick sounds about right.  And the Leafs may even need to eat some of his salary to get rid of him.

I can see it costing the Flames their 1st round 2015 but not two of the three.  No other team would be offering that much. 

Kehatch mentioned earlier that if it does not include Gio, Brodie, Bennett, Monahan and Gaudreau then maybe something could be done.  I’ll go a few steps further and include Bouma, Hudler, Russell and our 2015 1st as off limits as well.  We are a bubble team, 20% of the season will remain after the TDL.  If we fail to make the playoffs then we’ll have a legitimate shot at the lottery pick, albeit small.  We cannot give that up.  If a deal can be had for any remaining players and picks then we could maybe consider it, but I’m thinking TML wants much more.  I’d like to exclude Jones, Backlund, Byron, Jooris and Colburn as well but we’d have to offer something in return.  What can I say, I like my team.  :)

Kehatch mentioned earlier that if it does not include Gio, Brodie, Bennett, Monahan and Gaudreau then maybe something could be done.  I’ll go a few steps further and include Bouma, Hudler, Russell and our 2015 1st as off limits as well.  We are a bubble team, 20% of the season will remain after the TDL.  If we fail to make the playoffs then we’ll have a legitimate shot at the lottery pick, albeit small.  We cannot give that up.  If a deal can be had for any remaining players and picks then we could maybe consider it, but I’m thinking TML wants much more.  I’d like to exclude Jones, Backlund, Byron, Jooris and Colburn as well but we’d have to offer something in return.  What can I say, I like my team.  :)

Not referring to Kessel, but the 1st is on the table (in my mind) for any top prospect or very good, young D-man. Sure, we need to stock the cupboards, but we are light on the 25-29 year old players. And we are really light on high rated defense prospects. If someone offered a Nurse, you are crazy not to take it for a 1st.

Not referring to Kessel, but the 1st is on the table (in my mind) for any top prospect or very good, young D-man. Sure, we need to stock the cupboards, but we are light on the 25-29 year old players. And we are really light on high rated defense prospects. If someone offered a Nurse, you are crazy not to take it for a 1st.

Nurse for a first? Heck yeah! Think we can fleece EDM? They want 1st rounders right? That'd be a #5OA pick for #12+OA.

Also don't want Kessel. For cheaper or less time, maybe. Cost to acquire and contract just outweigh the positives imo. I'd be ok with trading Baertschi (not cause I dislike him mind).

Agreed. I think Monahan has proven himself untochable. Bennet or the first is more likely in a trade. 

I'm still not a huge Bennet fan, but I'd still package up this years' 1st Rd Pick for Kessel. Package is with a decent prospect, and a players, and I think you've got a shot (as long as you're not expecting the Leafs to eat any of his salary).

to TOR: 2015 1st Rd Pick, Sven Baertschi, Curtis Glencross (UFA, but NTC) or David Jones, Corey Potter

to CAL: Phil Kessel, Olli Jokinen (just for fun...)

Agreed. I think Monahan has proven himself untochable. Bennet or the first is more likely in a trade. 

I'm still not a huge Bennet fan, but I'd still package up this years' 1st Rd Pick for Kessel. Package is with a decent prospect, and a players, and I think you've got a shot (as long as you're not expecting the Leafs to eat any of his salary).

to TOR: 2015 1st Rd Pick, Sven Baertschi, Curtis Glencross (UFA, but NTC) or David Jones, Corey Potter

to CAL: Phil Kessel, Olli Jokinen (just for fun...)

I can hear the crew from TSN (is there any left or are they on SN or CBC?) having a jolly-good laugh about us getting him for the 3rd time. I think he did have a good final year here, but I think his career might be winding down. If we did that trade we would need to insist SN get Peter Loubo to say "doink" every time he hit the post.

Here is a quote I found in an article written about Kessel today.  Imagine the headache we would have if one of our star players was thought of in the same way.

Quote:  "Honestly, why would anyone (Kessel) want to stay in a place where people question his heart, his leadership, his conditioning, his consistency, his dedication, his accountability, his willingness to compete"?

The article can be found here;

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2015/02/17/22242001.html

Honestly guys, Kessel should be given some very serious consideration.

Backlund / Sven and the 2015 1st - that is three first round picks for Kessel and also the kind of deal a rebuilding Leafs team should want.

Again a 1st rounder for Kessel.....

And then we don't make the playoffs and win the lottery! Since with this deal we would disrupt the team chemistry. Backlund alone is worth more for the Flames right now.

I say no to Kessel.

And then we don't make the playoffs and win the lottery! Since with this deal we would disrupt the team chemistry. Backlund alone is worth more for the Flames right now.

I say no to Kessel.

If you fail to act because you have a chance of getting a 3 percent lotto ticket there is a problem. Not to mention that even if you do win the player may never be as good as Kessel. I know we are all supposed to talk about McDavid with hushed voices and clasped hands, but there is no guarantee he is the next Crosby.

I say no to Kessel.

Kessel > Backlund

I understand all the hoop-la and media blah blah out of Toronto but Kessel is 26 and a proven top line NHL RW. Backlund is a good two-way 2nd line C. Let's keep it real. 

The major draw back is his contract but in this new trading world of retaining cap I am not sure how the trade would play out. Obviously if the Leafs retain salary the Flames have to give up more. 

It is simply addressing a area of weakness on the Flames. Is it a deadline deal? Not sure about that but a player like Kessel is rarely available at that age and honestly I think the guy will shine because Calgary media is the opposite of Toronto media. They will allow him to slip into the background just like they did with Kipper. 

Kessel would work in Calgary...