Rushan Rafikov

I figured with a couple articles recently this kid should get a post.

First Russian we've drafted since 2002. In his limited exposure to North American media he has stated his intention to come over to North America to play and wants to make the NHL.

He is Captain of the Russian team in this years Subway Super Series. While Russia hasn't been producing nearly the number of stars recently as they have in the past, they aren't slouches either. Rafikov being named the Captain means that either he is one of the best players in Russia born in 95/96, or there is something that Russian national scouts see in him that Calgary was willing to gamble on in a late round pick.

Now we know that he is playing in the VHL (KHL equivelant to the AHL), has 12 points (all assists) in 17 games. He's been compared to Nikita Nikitin and Alexei Emelin. By the time he was 17 he was splitting time between the U22 Team and U18 team for Yaroslavl (17 year old playing against 19-21 year olds is still pretty impressive, even if it is in Russian Juniors). He is regarded as a stay at home D-man who has offensive upside including a great breakout pass. One of his noted strengths was Defensive positioning and good D-zone instincts. If he can work on adding a little size (which I think there will be some good focus on if he comes over to NA to play) he could be a solid bottom pairing defender (his upper limits say 3/4 but I would rather see him play a year or two in NA before really suggesting that he is ahead of Wotherspoon or Seiloff on our depth chart).

KId is tall but lanky. He just scored a great goal in the Subway Series, has a hell of a shot. Good Defensively moves the puck on the first pass out of the zone Seems to quarter back the Russian PP...Could be worth keeping an eye on, but he needs to put a bunch of weight on.

It would be nice to see him put on another 15-20 pounds, but in reality he isn't that tall. 6'1 and 185 (Same weight as Monahan and an inch shorter). I missed todays game but he did have 1 goal 1 assist, and I believe both on the Power play (judging from his 0 rating in a 4-0 game. The website doesn't say whether it's a powerplay goal or not, just that Russia was 2/5 on the PP)

I am impressed with his scoring in Russia this year. He looks steady on NA ice, too.  Was a little sad his visa didn't get worked out in time to join the Flames prospect games, and it would have been nice for him to start this year in the CHL.  I think he was passed over in the CHL entry draft, though.

Next year, he should be able to play in the AHL, I think. 

In the Russia vs OHL game he showed pretty strong D positioning and QB'd the PP. He scored a beauty goal with a great one-timer from the point. Interesting to read the write-up, think he may have some strong upside potential and it will be good to get him here next summer and see what he can do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pointless today but he is still 1-2-3 in 3 games this World Juniors, with his goal being a game winner. Still looking pretty reliable, makes me a little more excited that we have another D-man prospect, one who could potentially push Wotherspoon or Seiloff in a couple years for playing time on the second pair.

From what I understand the only reason he didn't get to training camp this year was issues getting his Visa (which was pretty common this year because of the whole Russia invading Ukraine thing, a few Russian NHL'ers missed training camps because of visa delays). I also recall reading him saying that he was going to finish his contract in Russia (this is the final year on it I believe) before coming over to NA (or staying in Russia if that is what the team decided would be best for his development). Caught a couple of the Russia games for the WJC and he seemed pretty good (like cccsberg said, good outlet passes and positioning). And he seems to be (at least what few English translated press-releases I've found from him) a big team-first guy who wants to do what he can to play in the NHL, that drive alone could push him ahead of some of our prospects if he comes over.

• 2 months later...

From what I understand the only reason he didn't get to training camp this year was issues getting his Visa (which was pretty common this year because of the whole Russia invading Ukraine thing, a few Russian NHL'ers missed training camps because of visa delays). I also recall reading him saying that he was going to finish his contract in Russia (this is the final year on it I believe) before coming over to NA (or staying in Russia if that is what the team decided would be best for his development). Caught a couple of the Russia games for the WJC and he seemed pretty good (like cccsberg said, good outlet passes and positioning). And he seems to be (at least what few English translated press-releases I've found from him) a big team-first guy who wants to do what he can to play in the NHL, that drive alone could push him ahead of some of our prospects if he comes over.

After Gio's injury, I started wondering what we have in the system. Wotherspoon and Rafikov appear to be our most NHL-ready players. Kulak and Culkin are more in the offensive side, so it's hard to say if they are close. Rafikov and Spoon seem to be more in the shutdown side of things.

In 2015/16 I would expect to see Spoon move up, while Rafikov comes over to start in the AHL. I think his game will translate quite well. He seemed poised and mature in his WJC games. He may never be a Gio, but might be as good as Russell.

After Gio's injury, I started wondering what we have in the system. Wotherspoon and Rafikov appear to be our most NHL-ready players. Kulak and Culkin are more in the offensive side, so it's hard to say if they are close. Rafikov and Spoon seem to be more in the shutdown side of things.

In 2015/16 I would expect to see Spoon move up, while Rafikov comes over to start in the AHL. I think his game will translate quite well. He seemed poised and mature in his WJC games. He may never be a Gio, but might be as good as Russell.

Anyone know when his season is over and the potential he could come over and join the AHL Flames this season?

Anyone know when his season is over and the potential he could come over and join the AHL Flames this season?

I don't think he could play for the AHL Flames this season, and if he did not playoffs. I could be mistaken but I do not believe we have signed him to a contract yet. Due to his KHL contract, I believe he has to wait until their playoffs are over before he can come over to NA to play.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived