Rushan Rafikov

I would argue it is the Flames problem. As Rafikov's potential employer they should be assisting him in acquiring the necessary paperwork required to attend their camps.

I'm sure there is no shortage of lawyers employed by the Flames that could get the correct paperwork filled out and filed for him.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking with the amount of D we have now Rafikov is no longer a key player for the Flames and his rights will more than most likely be traded we have a ton of D prospects now and more to come with the addition of Hickey sure to be in the fold next yr and Dougie being part of the flames future I just don't see any room for him any more. If it is Rafikov that is screwing up his passport each yr then it would be my guess he is not interested in coming to Canada  perhaps he is trying  another Erickson

I'm thinking with the amount of D we have now Rafikov is no longer a key player for the Flames and his rights will more than most likely be traded we have a ton of D prospects now and more to come with the addition of Hickey sure to be in the fold next yr and Dougie being part of the flames future I just don't see any room for him any more. If it is Rafikov that is screwing up his passport each yr then it would be my guess he is not interested in coming to Canada  perhaps he is trying  another Erickson

I guess we will find out.    I hope we're all over-reacting.  Certainly if you read the January interview on him, the Flames had no intentions then of bringing him to the AHL this year.  They clearly stated it was their preference for him to develop as long as possible over there.  And, hey, that works for many players.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/01/03/calgary-flames-willing-to-wait-on-blueline-prospect-rushan-rafikov

But if you're right, then yeah.  We'll know in a  few months or less.

I guess we will find out.    I hope we're all over-reacting.  Certainly if you read the January interview on him, the Flames had no intentions then of bringing him to the AHL this year.  They clearly stated it was their preference for him to develop as long as possible over there.  And, hey, that works for many players.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/01/03/calgary-flames-willing-to-wait-on-blueline-prospect-rushan-rafikov

But if you're right, then yeah.  We'll know in a  few months or less.

I don't know if you were aware of this, but he signed a 2-year deal.......

-And finally, reports out of Russia (via Elite Prospects) are that Flames pick Rushan Rafikov has signed a two-year deal with his KHL rights-holder, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl. That deal runs through 2016-17. I believe under the terms of the CBA, the Flames retain his rights until 2017 (e.g., four years after his initial drafting since he's a European prospect), so I doubt anything has really changed regarding his development. Former Flames coach Dave King is coaching Lokomotiv right now, and the Stockton Heat are already well-stocked with defenders even if they don't bring back any free agents.

What worries me about this is the Fetisov is lobbying to ban KHL players from playing in the NHL until they reach their 28th birthday.

Didn't know that, no.   That's dissapointing.  

I don't hold it against the player.  A Canadian would obviously prefer to stay in Canada, and so be it with a Russian.

But yeah, maybe premature to call ourselves deep on defence.    Glad to hear stockton's "stocked", lol.  But that'll change with one or two injuries.

It's tough to predict what Rafikov is going to do, but I am not optimistic. To this point he has shown nothing to suggest he wants to play for the Flames or even play in the NHL.

That said, he isn't high on my radar anyway. Last summer I would have agreed that the Flames were light on D prospects. I don't have the same concerns this season.

One, Brodie is locked in at a budget price.

Two, Hamilton is on board and also locked in at a good price.

Three, we picked up two good defensive prospects in the second round of the draft. Kylington still has the skills that had him projected top 10 and Anderson is a solid pick up.

Four, Hickey took some really big strides. I think he is a top defensive prospect in the NHL right now.

And lastly, we managed to acquire Morrison. I think Morrison adds a dimension we didn't have in our system.

I think the Flames are actually looking better at D then any other position. I don't like the last generation of prospects like Sieloff, Kanzig, and Wotherspoon. But I like this new group and I think we could be good at D for years.

It's tough to predict what Rafikov is going to do, but I am not optimistic. To this point he has shown nothing to suggest he wants to play for the Flames or even play in the NHL.

That said, he isn't high on my radar anyway. Last summer I would have agreed that the Flames were light on D prospects. I don't have the same concerns this season.

One, Brodie is locked in at a budget price.

Two, Hamilton is on board and also locked in at a good price.

Three, we picked up two good defensive prospects in the second round of the draft. Kylington still has the skills that had him projected top 10 and Anderson is a solid pick up.

Four, Hickey took some really big strides. I think he is a top defensive prospect in the NHL right now.

And lastly, we managed to acquire Morrison. I think Morrison adds a dimension we didn't have in our system.

I think the Flames are actually looking better at D then any other position. I don't like the last generation of prospects like Sieloff, Kanzig, and Wotherspoon. But I like this new group and I think we could be good at D for years.

I agree, if the Flmaes never see Rafikov i don't think its the end of the world. I didn't mind Rafikov but i don't think he is the massive steal, huge upside guy that alot of fans seem to be suggesting he is. i think he had an outside chance at seeing the NHL but it was an outside chance and he's a bit lower on the depth chart and i'm sure he sees it too. part of the debate for him i bet is do i leave my comfort of home and my guaranteed salary to buss around the AHL for a copule of years with an outside shot I ever see the NHL. Not always a very attractive option.

I want to see every prospect be given a shot so in no way am i'm writing him off and saying its no big deal we may never see him. I would like the chance I just agree with kehatch the odds we see him are small but i also agree its not a huge deal anymore either. Flmaes have good depth when it comes to prospects on the blueline.

I agree, if the Flmaes never see Rafikov i don't think its the end of the world. I didn't mind Rafikov but i don't think he is the massive steal, huge upside guy that alot of fans seem to be suggesting he is. i think he had an outside chance at seeing the NHL but it was an outside chance and he's a bit lower on the depth chart and i'm sure he sees it too. part of the debate for him i bet is do i leave my comfort of home and my guaranteed salary to buss around the AHL for a copule of years with an outside shot I ever see the NHL. Not always a very attractive option.

I want to see every prospect be given a shot so in no way am i'm writing him off and saying its no big deal we may never see him. I would like the chance I just agree with kehatch the odds we see him are small but i also agree its not a huge deal anymore either. Flmaes have good depth when it comes to prospects on the blueline.

We have gone from thin on bluelline prospects to being full.  Where he was near the top of D prospects, he is now closer to the bottom.  He is on par or lower than Spoon, in my mind.  Seeing as Spoon is having trouble breaking into the NHL, I think Rafikov would have an even tougher time.

He could still turn into a great player, after some more years playing pro in the KHL.  Not sure how long we would retain his rights, but if he was to come over in 3-4 years, he may be a more finished product.  We might also have a better idea of the level he tops out at.

In the meantime, we have lots of prospects in North America to evaluate.  It will take time to figure out the fit for Nakladal, Morrison, Spoon, Hickey, Culkin, etc. 

Looks like the Flames hold his rights till he will be 27. Right now the lack of a tranfser agreement is what is preventing the Flames form trying to sign so in that case the NHL waives its standard 2 year rights period for a European drafted player.

So there actually isn't a lot of pressure or push to get him here. Let him play out there and then bring him over if and when he is ready.

Looks like the Flames hold his rights till he will be 27. Right now the lack of a tranfser agreement is what is preventing the Flames form trying to sign so in that case the NHL waives its standard 2 year rights period for a European drafted player.

So there actually isn't a lot of pressure or push to get him here. Let him play out there and then bring him over if and when he is ready.

There is zero need to bring him here today.  We have too many bodies for the farm, let alone NHL.  That said, he is signed for 2 years anyway in the KHL, so let's see where we are then.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully in another 2 yrs both Anderson and kyl will be a big part of the flames and we will have another group of young prospects in those 2 drafts coming up and you never know what kind of trades could happen by then. Could be a Ramo type deal where another team takes Rafikovs right in some kind of trade you just never know.

This is why he was drafted in the 7th round.  You never know if you will ever see a talented but less than star type russian/european player come over to North America.  At their skill level, they can get similar or better money in their home leagues and not have to climb the ladder in the AHL.

Archived