Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still a lot of ground to cover. But it is starting to look like Calgary vs LA for the final wild card spot. I like LA better then Calgary down the stretch. It's where they always get hot. It's going to be tough.

If we managed to make the playoffs, I think we could beat some teams in the opening rounds, depending on the seeding.

LA - CGY could beat this team, but they are scary in the playoffs

SJS - CGY could win this, as they are suspect in nets and on D

STL - CGY would probably lose this matchup

CHI - hard to predict this one

VAN - depends on the Sedins, Miller sucking or excelling, and Bieksa's health

NASH - depends on the the rest of their season; they have exceeded so far, but make drop back and become beatable

WPG - good team, all depends on their goalie

ANA - would win some games in CGY, but lose too many in ANA

I know. 

The thought of being a one-and-done in the playoffs makes me want this team to tank for a higher pick and then come back stronger in 2015/16.

In the past Peoples you have said you would only cheer for the Flames to lose once they definately had no chance to make the playoffs.

So today we hold down the final playoff spot and you are softening your stance to include the fact if we are going to lose the first round you would prefer we tank?????? I am very very disappointed in this thought from you Peoples..

Since 1993/1994, the Flames have finished out of the play-offs 12 times.

They were knocked out in the first round 7 times.

And of course, they went to the SCF and got jobbed once.

I really hate missing the play-offs, but going out in the first round doesn't make me much happier.

I don't feel that Calgary will be a contender (past the 1st round) until 2016/2017.

I was kinda hoping for one more top 10 draft pick before the Flames started making it to the play-offs.

Of course, anything can happen once you get there (see 2004).

I think we can make the playoff cut, but after watching the Flames/Ducks game last night, I don't think we'd be too successful :(

I know. 

The thought of being a one-and-done in the playoffs makes me want this team to tank for a higher pick and then come back stronger in 2015/16.

Don’t let the ANA game discourage you, the Flames did plenty enough good things to win that game except stop the opposing Seeing Eye puck.  When Bourque passes it to Jackman in the slot and Jackman roofs it over the glove hand of the hottest goaltender in the league, then you know it’s not your night.  The Mighty Duck curse lives on………… but not for long.  I’d like to know what the Flames did in that building to warrant such wicked and cruel punishment?

1 & done can happen & if it does that beats winning the MacDavid/Eichel sweepstakes.

Having a team that defies odds because they actually care is > adding the next player the talking heads annoint "The Next One" or a "generational player" is more satisfying. Remember, that 1st draftee OA goes to 1 of the worst teams in a league where over 1/2 the teams qualify for playoffs.

How many of you have watched MacDavid, Eichel & the other teenagers enough to form your own opinion about what each could bring to the team? Watching the WJC & the odd CHL game tells you what a player does against teenagers. Media plays them up because it catches people's attention but remember that many of the best known media are former NHL employees that their team axed or didn't have enough faith in to re-hire. The rankings seldom include anything about character or compete level other that quotes from said player's coach (who has a vested interest) saying "he reminds me of ________".

Some of the seemingly silly questions asked in short pre-draft interviews are designed by psychologists hired by teams to see what makes the guy tick & how he reacts under pressure. I've seen enough really talented players mess the bed under pressure while some of the less talented thrive under pressure.

I'd rather watch even 4 playoff games than chant "We excel @ sucking" or whatever the bottom feeders say when 1st to the podium.

In the past Peoples you have said you would only cheer for the Flames to lose once they definately had no chance to make the playoffs.

So today we hold down the final playoff spot and you are softening your stance to include the fact if we are going to lose the first round you would prefer we tank?????? I am very very disappointed in this thought from you Peoples..

Why can someone cheer for the Flames to make the playoffs but not let the thought of being a one-and-done make them want to cheer for a higher draft pick instead?

Don’t let the ANA game discourage you, the Flames did plenty enough good things to win that game except stop the opposing Seeing Eye puck.  When Bourque passes it to Jackman in the slot and Jackman roofs it over the glove hand of the hottest goaltender in the league, then you know it’s not your night.  The Mighty Duck curse lives on………… but not for long.  I’d like to know what the Flames did in that building to warrant such wicked and cruel punishment?

Well, the Flames haven't won in Anaheim since 1931... or so.

That's what warrants a wicked and cruel punishment.

1 & done can happen & if it does that beats winning the MacDavid/Eichel sweepstakes.

Having a team that defies odds because they actually care is > adding the next player the talking heads annoint "The Next One" or a "generational player" is more satisfying. Remember, that 1st draftee OA goes to 1 of the worst teams in a league where over 1/2 the teams qualify for playoffs.

How many of you have watched MacDavid, Eichel & the other teenagers enough to form your own opinion about what each could bring to the team? Watching the WJC & the odd CHL game tells you what a player does against teenagers. Media plays them up because it catches people's attention but remember that many of the best known media are former NHL employees that their team axed or didn't have enough faith in to re-hire. The rankings seldom include anything about character or compete level other that quotes from said player's coach (who has a vested interest) saying "he reminds me of ________".

Some of the seemingly silly questions asked in short pre-draft interviews are designed by psychologists hired by teams to see what makes the guy tick & how he reacts under pressure. I've seen enough really talented players mess the bed under pressure while some of the less talented thrive under pressure.

I'd rather watch even 4 playoff games than chant "We excel @ sucking" or whatever the bottom feeders say when 1st to the podium.

If we win the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes but never win the Cup, then it was never worth it to win the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes.  Or, if we win the Cup without winning the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes, then that beats the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes.

Basically, if we win the Cup, then that beats everything.  Right?  Why these essays of everything in between?

If we managed to make the playoffs, I think we could beat some teams in the opening rounds, depending on the seeding.

LA - CGY could beat this team, but they are scary in the playoffs

SJS - CGY could win this, as they are suspect in nets and on D

STL - CGY would probably lose this matchup

CHI - hard to predict this one

VAN - depends on the Sedins, Miller sucking or excelling, and Bieksa's health

NASH - depends on the the rest of their season; they have exceeded so far, but make drop back and become beatable

WPG - good team, all depends on their goalie

ANA - would win some games in CGY, but lose too many in ANA

This is honestly a pretty fair summary.

In short, if we make the playoffs, we'd better NOT be in the last wildcard slot, because we will play Anaheim, and then we're done.

Hopefully if we can play well through the rest of the season we can move up a bit, and then we'd have t least a decent chance in the first round.

I don't think we'd be likely to reach the SCF this year, but pending matchup, second round is a reasonable expectation IF we make it and not in the last spot.

according to hockey night in Canada the flames have a 72% of making the play-offs. All they need to do is beat the teams that are in the hunt like we have been doing, and we'll be fine . For some reason my computer is not letting me copy the link.

Mod Edit: because I'm a heckuva nice guy --> http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-playoff-odds-canadian-teams-chances-vary-1.2932162

Why can someone cheer for the Flames to make the playoffs but not let the thought of being a one-and-done make them want to cheer for a higher draft pick instead?

Well, the Flames haven't won in Anaheim since 1931... or so.

That's what warrants a wicked and cruel punishment.

If we win the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes but never win the Cup, then it was never worth it to win the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes.  Or, if we win the Cup without winning the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes, then that beats the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes.

Basically, if we win the Cup, then that beats everything.  Right?  Why these essays of everything in between?

100% of the time when a team misses the playoffs they never win a championship.  Going back to 1980 (35 yrs) only 20% of the 1OA picks have won a SC.  That’s 1 in 5 and not very good odds.  You don’t have to hit rock bottom to turn things around in this league.  In fact, 80% of the teams that won the SC in the past 35 yrs have never done it with a 1OA pick which they drafted.  Getting in the playoffs is what matters, not tanking for high draft pick. 

2012, LA, 8th seed, SC

2010, PHI, 7th seed, SCF

2006, EDM, 8th seed, SCF

2004, CAL, 6th seed, SCF

I don't think we need a 1st overall. We need to continue this trend of drafting and developing well.

Making the playoffs will only give our guys more incentive and learning experience. Right now they're learning what it takes to play in the NHL, to play in a playoff race, and if they prevail, they will learn what it takes to play in the playoffs.

These kids are learning how to be leaders. I think if we surround them with a good group of young skilled players and they continue to grow as a group, all they will do is feed off of each other.

When we had Iginla, it was his team and nearly a one man show. We need to continue to grow the team by drafting well and adding pieces to the puzzle.

We have a good core of young skilled who could possibly make up the core. If they're hungry enough, this race and the playoffs will only help their development.

In order to make the playoffs, we have to beat the Buffalos and other bottom feeders. I think tonight's game is a good test. Good and great teams show up against every team. No taking it easy.

By my math, if we get at least one point against Minnesota we are caught back up to the 4 points out of 7 pace goal that Hartley set. That is pretty noteworthy when you consider the 8 game losing streak. Fortunately we have went 9-4-0 since then (and 9-5-0 the two sets before).

Need the to win the next two games because our schedule gets much harder after that.

This... 

When it comes to wanting our team to make the playoffs, this is probably the best post I have read. No offense Peeps but this is how I feel and why I want to see them in the playoffs.

Who cares if we advance past the first round?

NO ONE expected us to be in the hunt for even a sniff at a wildcard halfway through the season. All the analysts, probably every fan and just about anyone who cared to wonder had Calgary in the hunt for the so called generational talent to be had in the first pick.

I'm just happy that we were ALL wrong so far. Let's be wrong for another couple of months okay?

Just being in a position to play meaningful games down the stretch and possibly get to play in some playoff games is more important to the development of this rebuild than getting another high draft pick. Our young guys are learning how to win and what it takes to win night in and night out, I will take that over another high draft pick.

100% of the time when a team misses the playoffs they never win a championship.  Going back to 1980 (35 yrs) only 20% of the 1OA picks have won a SC.  That’s 1 in 5 and not very good odds.  You don’t have to hit rock bottom to turn things around in this league.  In fact, 80% of the teams that won the SC in the past 35 yrs have never done it with a 1OA pick which they drafted.  Getting in the playoffs is what matters, not tanking for high draft pick. 

2012, LA, 8th seed, SC

2010, PHI, 7th seed, SCF

2006, EDM, 8th seed, SCF

2004, CAL, 6th seed, SCF

Post-2004 is a different league man. 

For awhile there in the 90s, all it took was money and you can buy a contender.  With the cap in place, you have to draft well, develop well, trade well, etc. It's totally different league now and that's why we can only use post-2004 teams as examples to emulate.  Since 2004, only Detriot has won without drafting in the top 2.  This is statistically irrefutable and quite a stunning track record.

Many teams have drafted top 2 and not won. Acknowledged. It's in my head guys. I know, just look up North.  Moreover, we know where they went wrong.  They only drafted #1 and failed to draft well in the other rounds, did not trade well, signed all the wrong UFAs, never got the right coach, etc.  So, that's not, and never was, what I was wishing upon us.

I'm saying, look at Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc.  Who will win this year?  Tampa Bay?  NYIslanders?  One of those aforementioned teams again?

goes to show how anything can happen in the playoffs. The 2004 flames are a great example. Everyone thought they would get destroyed by Van, SAN, DETRIOT, but we out hustled them, and won the western final.

The 2004 Flames are indeed a great example of second place. 

This... 

When it comes to wanting our team to make the playoffs, this is probably the best post I have read. No offense Peeps but this is how I feel and why I want to see them in the playoffs.

Who cares if we advance past the first round?

NO ONE expected us to be in the hunt for even a sniff at a wildcard halfway through the season. All the analysts, probably every fan and just about anyone who cared to wonder had Calgary in the hunt for the so called generational talent to be had in the first pick.

I'm just happy that we were ALL wrong so far. Let's be wrong for another couple of months okay?

Who cares if others laugh at us.  It's not how hard you fall but how fast you get back up.

It's like, if you never ask a girl out, then you'll never have to get rejected. But of course, if our focus in life is to simply not lose instead of doing whatever it takes to win, then we'll never reach the ultimate goal.

Inadequate goal review was a huge factor in the second place finish...

Speaking of examples though, the 2011/12 Kings were indeed a great example of what a team can accomplish when they finished the season with 95 points and were the eighth seed in the Western Conference heading into the playoffs...   ;)

Who cares if others laugh at us.  It's not how hard you fall but how fast you get back up.

It's like, if you never ask a girl out, then you'll never have to get rejected. But of course, if our focus in life is to simply not lose instead of doing whatever it takes to win, then we'll never reach the ultimate goal.

You might want to read the post by CheersMan. Since the SC became the exclusive property/championship trophy of the NHL no team that didn't qualify for the playoffs have won it. True in any era.

Your reply to patriot:  Being within 1 disputed goal of the SC is < drafting high? Try for the top but give up & jump in the toilet if you fall short?

Your reply to Sheri: it's better to avoid the dance because you might get to dance with the prom queen? I guess for some avoiding > going for it & falling short.

Excuses & lack of will to try/believe is in many posts. It's like a wimpy kid watching old Popeye cartoons thinking if he eats enough spinach he turns into an unbeatable being. 1/1s aren't spinach & real life doesn't happen like in the cartoons.

:)

For awhile there in the 90s, all it took was money and you can buy a contender.  With the cap in place, you have to draft well, develop well, trade well, etc. It's totally different league now and that's why we can only use post-2004 teams as examples to emulate.  Since 2004, only Detriot has won without drafting in the top 2.  This is statistically irrefutable and quite a stunning track record.

Many teams have drafted top 2 and not won. Acknowledged. It's in my head guys. I know, just look up North.  Moreover, we know where they went wrong.  They only drafted #1 and failed to draft well in the other rounds, did not trade well, signed all the wrong UFAs, never got the right coach, etc.  So, that's not, and never was, what I was wishing upon us.

I'm saying, look at Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc.  Who will win this year?  Tampa Bay?  NYIslanders?  One of those aforementioned teams again?

I think you have to forget about dynasties and cup favorites. Drafting plays a big part in constructing a team, but pieces need to fall into place at the exact right time to make it to the finals. How many Pres. Trophy winners go on to win the SC? How many teams that get a favourable matchup advance to the next round? More than you might imagine.

In 2006, the Flames played the Ducks in round 1 due to bad luck. They ended the Flames chance to go back to the SCF the next season after "losing" to the TBL. Oilers were 8th in the West and played the Wings. A disputed goal allowed the Oils to tie game 7 and then win it. The Oilers lost the SCF due to having to rely on a backup goalie. Two teams that could easily have won the SCF.

My point is that it doesn't matter where you draft. Any team that is constructed well, gets hot at the right time, and has some luck going for it can win. LA won despite needing 3 game 7's. What would have happened without the epic Shark collapse?

By my math, if we get at least one point against Minnesota we are caught back up to the 4 points out of 7 pace goal that Hartley set. That is pretty noteworthy when you consider the 8 game losing streak. Fortunately we have went 9-4-0 since then (and 9-5-0 the two sets before).

Need the to win the next two games because our schedule gets much harder after that.

If we can beat the Wild and the Spoilers that will give us the confidence and the breathing space we need in the standings. La Just beat the hawks, so they are one point under us. As long as we can beat the crap teams, and the teams that are 2-5 points under us, then we will be play off bound. Also if the team stays true to Bob's 7 game segments by wining 4 or 5 out of 7 games, then we will be fine. We cannot afford another 8 game losing skid. That would kill this team for sure 

I think the link between drafting top 2 and the cup winners is simple, you need elite/game breaking talent to win a cup. Especially in the cap era where the salary cap has brought so much parity you simply cannot win a cup, IMO at least, if you don't have a player that can take over a game and typically you get those only at the top of the draft. So I get the link but I don't think it's necessarily required it's just the trend we have seen, just like how in the early 2000s you weren't wining a cup without an all star goalie. Trends come and go and I think eventually the cap is going to stop going up so quickly, draft gets deeper and talent become available. The flames potentially have Gaudrea and Bennet that could be those players so I think as it stands the flames have potential to have those pieces so I'm not overly concerned about not having a top 2 pick.

I agree with Cross. Drafting is still going to be an important piece of the puzzle going forward but the Flames have a lot of talent waiting in the wings. Sure having a top 2 pick would be nice, but the means to getting there involves a lot of losses and not a great environment for player development. Do we need to flog the Oilers dead horse approach any longer?

Yes drafting is important but I feel the Flames should be looking to trades and Free Agency to start assembling the pieces to having a championship team now. I think we're still 2 years away from seeing what the core of this team will look like but they are trending in the right direction.

Archived