Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

The Canucks strengths are their special teams. If their PP is shut down, then they're only a goal or two/game team… I think they're a .500 or marginally over .500 team the rest of the way.

Looking at Pyromancer's projections, that's actually enough for Vancouver to get into the Playoffs.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like tomorrows game is a huge one as far as playoffs go. We are tied in points and games played with the Kings, and we are in the wildcard spot (8) off of ROW, if we win tomorrow (especially in Regulation) it is huge for setting up a gap between one of the main teams competing for the wildcard spots.

Every game is going to be a game 7. We have a tougher road right now than Van does currently. We need better D especially in the bottom half. Our top 4 d have to play so much cause Smid and Englland are horrible. We have over 6 mill paid for two guys for 5/6 dman

We've proven that we can beat LA. We just have to do it again. If we can get any lead on them that gives us a bit of a cushion since Van and SJS are also close in the standings. But that wild-card spot is still very much a race with Dallas and Colorado not out of the picture either. And winipeg is about to get one, if not two, points tonight.

Anybody else hate the loser point? I think it is stupid that San Jose is ahead of us even though we have more wins than they do with less games played. The Winnipeg Thrashers are 5 points ahead of us even though we have the same amount of wins with less games played.

These teams are ahead us because they are better at losing than we are. I can not understand how or why a team should get a point for losing. If the NHL wants to do it that way they should award 3 points for a regulation win and 2 points for an OT or shootout win so that all games are worth the same amount of points.

IMO the game is about winning not about who can be the best loser.

*Edit: Just to add to this rant; The Kings are 1 point behind us and we have 5 more wins than they do, it's ridiculous.

Anybody else hate the loser point? I think it is stupid that San Jose is ahead of us even though we have more wins than they do with less games played. The Winnipeg Thrashers are 5 points ahead of us even though we have the same amount of wins with less games played.

These teams are ahead us because they are better at losing than we are. I can not understand how or why a team should get a point for losing. If the NHL wants to do it that way they should award 3 points for a regulation win and 2 points for an OT or shootout win so that all games are worth the same amount of points.

I hate it.  It's manufactured parity and it takes away from the integrity and fairness of the league.

They need to change the points system.  3-points for regulation win, 2-points for OT win, 1-point for OT loss, 0-points for a loss.

I hate it.  It's manufactured parity and it takes away from the integrity and fairness of the league.

But they aren't ahead of you in the standings because they are getting rewarded for losing.

They are ahead of you for losing less in regulation... the 5-on-5 part of the game.

I hate it. It's manufactured parity and it takes away from the integrity and fairness of the league.

They need to change the points system. 3-points for regulation win, 2-points for OT win, 1-point for OT loss, 0-points for a loss.

That does seem to be the best way to go, though I am more partial to just using wins like NFL, NBA and MLB. The teams with the most wins make the playoffs.

But they aren't ahead of you in the standings because they are getting rewarded for losing.

They are ahead of you for losing less in regulation... the 5-on-5 part of the game.

Yeah but shouldn't teams be rewarded for winning not losing regardless of how they lose.

*Edit: Just to add to this rant; The Kings are 1 point behind us and we have 5 more wins than they do, it's ridiculous.

Excellent points. Always liked the 3-2-1 PTS sytem, but never realized there is actually more points available now with the loser point versus a normal win, or at least never thought of it in those terms.

2-0 or 1-1 worked for decades.

Also gave a truer picture of which teams aimed to win & which were happy to tie.

With a loser/welfare point thrown into the equation some games are worth 2 points while others carry a 3 point possible. Yet a SO win carries the same # of points as a clean win & garnering a lot of those points where you lost can put a team ahead of the 1 with more clean wins.

It's that touchy/feelie BS where everyone is a winner & doesn't have tears in their eyes. "Here's your trophy for being top 8 in your division".

With the Oilers it's "Congrats at regaining that coveted #1 selection".

I was just sitting here contemplating the Flames actually making the playoffs. I kinda got goosebumps thinking of it. What if, and its certainly not out of the realm of possibility, the Flames actually did make the playoffs? What kind of team do you think they would be? There are certainly many questions to be answered but none more importantly than, "What is this team going to look like after the trade deadline?" This will be a good gauge as to what kind of team would go into the playoffs should that be in the cards.

Personally I think the Flames would be an extremely tough team to play against, no question. My biggest concern would be lack of experience going in. This depends greatly on what is done at the deadline however. The Flames are, without question, in great physical shape. The way they can find that extra gear in the third period almost every game says a lot about their conditioning so they would certainly have that in their favor. Which brings us to "finding that extra gear". This to me says tons of their mental make up and the way the coaches manage these guys. They've taken the entire season as 7 game stretches and this has allowed for a playoff-like mentality so this is another positive. As Hartley said, "Its ok to be happy but never satisfied." This is a great piece of coaching and my hat is off to the entire staff for the way they have prepared the players for every game. So what kind of team do I think would go into the playoffs? The kind of team that has every opponent saying, "Oh no not these guys again." I think the Flames could break a few hearts in the playoffs to be honest but I don't believe they have the experience to get to the final.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not nearly as afraid of the Cali teams as I am of the East. I know that sounds weird, but the Flames are so far below .500 against the East it's a little insane. Meanwhile, the only team in the NHL with a better record against their own division is the Islanders with a record of 15-2-0 against Metro teams

I was just sitting here contemplating the Flames actually making the playoffs. I kinda got goosebumps thinking of it. What if, and its certainly not out of the realm of possibility, the Flames actually did make the playoffs? What kind of team do you think they would be? There are certainly many questions to be answered but none more importantly than, "What is this team going to look like after the trade deadline?" This will be a good gauge as to what kind of team would go into the playoffs should that be in the cards.

Personally I think the Flames would be an extremely tough team to play against, no question. My biggest concern would be lack of experience going in. This depends greatly on what is done at the deadline however. The Flames are, without question, in great physical shape. The way they can find that extra gear in the third period almost every game says a lot about their conditioning so they would certainly have that in their favor. Which brings us to "finding that extra gear". This to me says tons of their mental make up and the way the coaches manage these guys. They've taken the entire season as 7 game stretches and this has allowed for a playoff-like mentality so this is another positive. As Hartley said, "Its ok to be happy but never satisfied." This is a great piece of coaching and my hat is off to the entire staff for the way they have prepared the players for every game. So what kind of team do I think would go into the playoffs? The kind of team that has every opponent saying, "Oh no not these guys again." I think the Flames could break a few hearts in the playoffs to be honest but I don't believe they have the experience to get to the final.

I agree what we look like after the deadline is key, but if we get in i see shades of 04. A team just happy to be there, no pressure, written off by every expert. A goalie with a hot hand i think wed be scary and the last team anybody would want to face

I don't know if it is really lack of experience (see Hudler, Bollig, Engelland, Wideman, Russell, Jones, Raymond, Stajan, Diaz, Colborne), as much as it is lack of playoff toughness.  I don't mean truculence as much as playing physical through the year and keeping it going through the playoffs.  Smid and Bouma take a lot of abuse.  Russell blocks so many shots in the run of a year.  It adds up. 

Teams like the Kings, Sharks and Hawks use their D to punish forwards.  We don't have that toughness on D.  We have Brodano who both play very well, but don't make you pay to play (maybe Gio to a certain extent).  Wideman hits but you can see it coming a mile away.  Russell is a tough SOB, but can't handle a Getzlaf.  Smid is too slow to keep up, but plays a gritty game.  Engelland is our most physical player, but his minutes are limited and his speed is too slow.

I like our chances of making the playoffs, since we have a good record (baring the one big losing streak).  We are in every game.  But we aren't built to go far in the playoffs yet.  Bennett and Poirier (assuming they both reach their potential) will bring, in a few years, that needed combo of toughness, speed and skill.  We need to find the D to go along with our current skilled D and the right players that allow our skilled forwards to excell.

Sounds easy, right? 

Over halfway through the season and we are in a wildcard spot.

No one and I mean no one expected that in October. It's been an amazing ride so far and I'm willing to sit on this wagon as far as it will take me! 

As far as points go, play for 2 points. Period. There are no ties any more with the shoot out, so just play for the 2 points for the win. Nothing for the loser. How can that be any easier?

Over halfway through the season and we are in a wildcard spot.

No one and I mean no one expected that in October. It's been an amazing ride so far and I'm willing to sit on this wagon as far as it will take me!

As far as points go, play for 2 points. Period. There are no ties any more with the shoot out, so just play for the 2 points for the win. Nothing for the loser. How can that be any easier?

I agree except just get rid of the points system altogether, just use wins. Not much point in handing out points.

I don't know if it is really lack of experience (see Hudler, Bollig, Engelland, Wideman, Russell, Jones, Raymond, Stajan, Diaz, Colborne), as much as it is lack of playoff toughness.  I don't mean truculence as much as playing physical through the year and keeping it going through the playoffs.  Smid and Bouma take a lot of abuse.  Russell blocks so many shots in the run of a year.  It adds up. 

Teams like the Kings, Sharks and Hawks use their D to punish forwards.  We don't have that toughness on D.  We have Brodano who both play very well, but don't make you pay to play (maybe Gio to a certain extent).  Wideman hits but you can see it coming a mile away.  Russell is a tough SOB, but can't handle a Getzlaf.  Smid is too slow to keep up, but plays a gritty game.  Engelland is our most physical player, but his minutes are limited and his speed is too slow.

I like our chances of making the playoffs, since we have a good record (baring the one big losing streak).  We are in every game.  But we aren't built to go far in the playoffs yet.  Bennett and Poirier (assuming they both reach their potential) will bring, in a few years, that needed combo of toughness, speed and skill.  We need to find the D to go along with our current skilled D and the right players that allow our skilled forwards to excell.

Sounds easy, right? 

My apologies I should have been more to the point. We lack playoff experience outside of a couple of players. And I agree with you on the state of our D. We have a good team, not a great team.....yet.

When the season began and we went into it with Hiller and Ramo, i thought our goalending situation would bring us straight to McDavid. To my suprise, and to most of everyone's surprise, Hiller played Vezina-like for 2 months.  It was like the Flames had Kiprusoff in his prime.   But when December came around though, things looked bleak.  Hiller and Ramo played like I thought they would to open the season.  Both goalies unable to win if their careers depended on it.

Thanks To Raphael Diaz, the season is saved.

Ortio is now giving us the goaltending that should secure us a playoff spot. 

When the season began and we went into it with Hiller and Ramo, i thought our goalending situation would bring us straight to McDavid. To my suprise, and to most of everyone's surprise, Hiller played Vezina-like for 2 months.  It was like the Flames had Kiprusoff in his prime.   But when December came around though, things looked bleak.  Hiller and Ramo played like I thought they would to open the season.  Both goalies unable to win if their careers depended on it.

Thanks To Raphael Diaz, the season is saved.

Ortio is now giving us the goaltending that should secure us a playoff spot.

Nov.20 - Jan.9 Hiller plays 14 games, record 4-9-1

Nov.22 - Dec. 16 Ramo plays 8 games, record 5-3-0

Ramo was not the reason for dropping back before Orti came in. Once Ortio goes back (likely in time for the AHL All Star game) he has a bit of a chance to re-establish himself. Our playoff hopes will live or die based on Ramo. Hiller will get a reasonable amount of wins, but we need Ramo to go on a run to keep up the "best goalie plays" run they were on at season start.

Archived