Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

Drafting high = good thing. Better chance of getting an impact player.

Drafting well = good thing. Better chance of getting an impact player.

Playing well = good thing. Better environment to develop your prospects in (and more fun for fans)

I am less concerned about the draft right now and more concerned about our development environment. Brodie, Monahan, and Gaudreau look like impact guys. We have lots of other hopefuls with Bennett, Poirier, etc. I like the attitude on the big club and I like the success. Good place for the kids to learn.

As for the playoffs. It is going to be tough to make it in a tight season when you have an 8 game losing streak on your record. The last win also should have been a loss. Scoring 2 empty netters and then winning in OT isn't a recipe for success usually.

That said, we get a break. Hopefully the last game gets us back on track and we start the second half the right way. A couple of games against the Oilers might be just what the doctor ordered.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As hard as it is for me to say, I don't believe we will make the playoffs this year.  I think we will take a big step, a bigger step to take than we expected to take at the start of the season but not enough to be part of the top 8 teams in the west.  Theres too much talent, veteran experience, and solidified play off history with a lot of teams in the west.

The losing streak we just went on after such strong play is a reflection of the inconsistencies of a young team and the ability to get "rattled" in situations where facing adversity.  

Lots of good things happening this year, but amazes me how we always find a way to be one of the bottom 3 teams in the league in face-offs.  Monahan as an individual has taken huge strides in his face-off ability but the team as a whole has maybe gotten even worse. Im sure this has lot to do with injuries but still no excuse

As hard as it is for me to say, I don't believe we will make the playoffs this year.  I think we will take a big step, a bigger step to take than we expected to take at the start of the season but not enough to be part of the top 8 teams in the west.  Theres too much talent, veteran experience, and solidified play off history with a lot of teams in the west.

The losing streak we just went on after such strong play is a reflection of the inconsistencies of a young team and the ability to get "rattled" in situations where facing adversity.  

Lots of good things happening this year, but amazes me how we always find a way to be one of the bottom 3 teams in the league in face-offs.  Monahan as an individual has taken huge strides in his face-off ability but the team as a whole has maybe gotten even worse. Im sure this has lot to do with injuries but still no excuse

The losing streak is more of a reflection of how chemistry can change with small impacts to the roster. Take a team that was relying on goal scoring and chemistry. Take out a few prospects that were driving the play forward, and add in a few vets that were out of practice, and you have a few lines that have to re-adjust.

We are missing that guy that has FO% in the middle 50% range (Backlund mostly, and Stajan for a good portion). The replacements aren't too bad, but we are forcing Granlund to adapt too quickly, while Colborne has a better record. Jooris isn't that bad, but could be better used on the RW.

2014-15PlayoffProjection2014-12-27_zps52

Winning 2 of every 3 from here to the season end is a must.

Even with an expected drop in the cutoff to the 94 pt range, we will still need to go 26-18-1.

By no means impossible but we can not have any more of those hideously lengthy losing streaks.

Get it done Flames! We still believe! B) 7887

K, all I'm going to input to this conversation is a though some are missing:

Generational players are normally drafted 1st over all.  This being a deep draft there is a "possibility" of 1-3 being at the top.  Finishing top 10 in a deep draft will get you an above average to super star level player and below that in a deep draft is a solid to above average player.  Again these are not concrete assessments but generally speaking, this is how the averages work out.

Now, I don't know about you guys bit Cgy has NEVER drafted a generational player, hell only a few superstars have been drafted by Cgy and we all too often draft just out of the top 10 say for the past few years.  More often in Cgy's history we make a lucky trade and get a super star AKA Iggy, and Gilmour (mind you that involved trading Hull who we drafted so kind of wash there) but the point is made I think.

In any event, it's clear, just missing the playoffs is not good for Cgy, top 10 is good and top 3 is the best situation.  However, though unlikely, getting into the playoffs is also good (just not realistic) as it would legitimize some of our vets as valuable trade assets which is a bonus and can off set a lower pick.

As long as we draft top 10 OR make the playoffs we are good, BUT just missing and just out of the top 10 draft zone we had better be dam lucky and if history says anything about Cgy we are NOT lucky in the 15-11 range, generally our drafting has pooed the bed here (though some credit to recent years they may do better, but over all, I just think we have bad draft luck in this zone).

Just my 2 cents.

Totally disagree, this was a chemistry thing and rusty vets.  Should have never inserted them until the young guys failed.  Truth is, with the way the young guys were playing, if "earned never given" was a true and accurate reflection, guys like Stajan would still be riding the pine cause the young guys were much better overall (chemistry being a huge factor here).

K, all I'm going to input to this conversation is a though some are missing:

Generational players are normally drafted 1st over all.  This being a deep draft there is a "possibility" of 1-3 being at the top.  Finishing top 10 in a deep draft will get you an above average to super star level player and below that in a deep draft is a solid to above average player.  Again these are not concrete assessments but generally speaking, this is how the averages work out.

Now, I don't know about you guys bit Cgy has NEVER drafted a generational player, hell only a few superstars have been drafted by Cgy and we all too often draft just out of the top 10 say for the past few years.  More often in Cgy's history we make a lucky trade and get a super star AKA Iggy, and Gilmour (mind you that involved trading Hull who we drafted so kind of wash there) but the point is made I think.

In any event, it's clear, just missing the playoffs is not good for Cgy, top 10 is good and top 3 is the best situation.  However, though unlikely, getting into the playoffs is also good (just not realistic) as it would legitimize some of our vets as valuable trade assets which is a bonus and can off set a lower pick.

As long as we draft top 10 OR make the playoffs we are good, BUT just missing and just out of the top 10 draft zone we had better be dam lucky and if history says anything about Cgy we are NOT lucky in the 15-11 range, generally our drafting has pooed the bed here (though some credit to recent years they may do better, but over all, I just think we have bad draft luck in this zone).

Just my 2 cents.

Totally disagree, this was a chemistry thing and rusty vets.  Should have never inserted them until the young guys failed.  Truth is, with the way the young guys were playing, if "earned never given" was a true and accurate reflection, guys like Stajan would still be riding the pine cause the young guys were much better overall (chemistry being a huge factor here).

Stajan has been playing mostly 4th line minutes since his return and has had little to no chance to affect the Flames play because of this.

Most guys on this board don't want our prospects getting 4th line minutes on the Flames anyway, so why complain the prospects should be playing instead of Stajan when most would prefer they get the big minutes on the Mini Flames??

Stajan has been playing mostly 4th line minutes since his return and has had little to no chance to affect the Flames play because of this.

Most guys on this board don't want our prospects getting 4th line minutes on the Flames anyway, so why complain the prospects should be playing instead of Stajan when most would prefer they get the big minutes on the Mini Flames??

Agreed. I was cynical at the beginning when guys like Setoguchi stuck and guys like Jooris were sent down. But the Flames have walked the talk in this area demoting or limiting the ice time of veterans when the kids have earned their spot.

Last night, for example, Gaudreau and Granlund had more minutes then Stajan, Glencross, Jones, or Raymond. Bouma and Byron came close as well being just under Glencross.

Agreed. I was cynical at the beginning when guys like Setoguchi stuck and guys like Jooris were sent down. But the Flames have walked the talk in this area demoting or limiting the ice time of veterans when the kids have earned their spot.

Last night, for example, Gaudreau and Granlund had more minutes then Stajan, Glencross, Jones, or Raymond. Bouma and Byron came close as well being just under Glencross.

This was one of the more even ice-time games in awhile. Stajan was not great in FO%, while Granlund was.

GlenX, Colborne, Byron and Jones led the team in hits. Their play dictated their ice-time. Johnny is only limited due to not being used (yet) on the PK.

Even if they play more minutes then they seem to "deserve", players like GlenX bring a big hit, or take the abuse from gutless players like Ference. They allow skill guys to get better matchups, play against lines put on their heels, or concentrate on offense.

I agree as well with being proud of what they're accomplishing. For me, last year was that year where I expected to drop to closer to first overall and we had some vets like Cammalleri; knowing they weren't the future, a higher pick was favourable.

This year there are a few more additions and these are the players I am excited for and looking for improvement from.

Keep up the good work and I hope they can make it in and if they fall short I am still proud of to be a fan.

We are tied for a wildcard spot (Yes, I know with 2 more games played) but still tied for a wildcard spot AFTER an 8 game losing skid.

Can we make the playoffs?

Absolutely!

If your going to have an 8 game losing streak make sure you do it between two winning streaks! We are 500 over the last 15 games.

I will say this:  I think there will be a dramatic shift in thinking as of next season.  Even the likes of myself and ThePeople will probably be focused more on playoffs/trades and less on drafts.

Right on man.

When the Flames finally decided to rebuild by trading Iginla 3 years ago, their prospect pool was so depleted, I felt we needed 3 years of high picks to replenish it. This is year 3.

Replenish for what? To win championships and not just to be a middle of the pack team. One more high pick and the Flames should be set for the next decade.

Next season will be about winning and the young players forming lines and building chemistry with one another. Some will confuse the change in our cheering as "you guys finally see the light!" But no. It was always the plan to cheer for the playoffs after year 3.

With their win against the Oiler's, the Flames have won their fifth of six 7 game series. And they're currently up 4-0 in the series.

Still 3 points back on the pace since the one they lost they went 0-6-1. If they can pull those 3 points in the next 3 games they are right back on pace.

Right on man.

When the Flames finally decided to rebuild by trading Iginla 3 years ago, their prospect pool was so depleted, I felt we needed 3 years of high picks to replenish it. This is year 3.

Replenish for what? To win championships and not just to be a middle of the pack team. One more high pick and the Flames should be set for the next decade.

Next season will be about winning and the young players forming lines and building chemistry with one another. Some will confuse the change in our cheering as "you guys finally see the light!" But no. It was always the plan to cheer for the playoffs after year 3.

+1

I think you have to be taking stock of what you have all the time. We are seeing some of our prospects develop into good NHL right now. My curiosity is starting to wonder what the best positions or lines are best for some of these players.

Hartley put Colborne back on RW with Monahan and Glencross last night and you can't deny the good chemistry immediately. Jooris is good Centering Gaudreau and Hudler for now but I would like to see Backlund with this 2nd line on his return. Jones would drop down to the 3rd line RW now with Raymond LW and Granlund C but here again what happens as Backlund returns ?

Should start to get interesting.

As these prospects get better our trade chip pile continues to grow and Treliving needs to keep building the team. Our need remains to get an additional top 4 defenseman for this year and our future.

If we manage some playoff hockey , great but let's keep building the right way.

Right on man.

+2

At the end of the day, we are getting closer to the more important question: (who's going to be the OP?)

When will the Flames win the cup?

I think you have to be taking stock of what you have all the time. We are seeing some of our prospects develop into good NHL right now. My curiosity is starting to wonder what the best positions or lines are best for some of these players.

Hartley put Colborne back on RW with Monahan and Glencross last night and you can't deny the good chemistry immediately. Jooris is good Centering Gaudreau and Hudler for now but I would like to see Backlund with this 2nd line on his return. Jones would drop down to the 3rd line RW now with Raymond LW and Granlund C but here again what happens as Backlund returns ?

Should start to get interesting.

As these prospects get better our trade chip pile continues to grow and Treliving needs to keep building the team. Our need remains to get an additional top 4 defenseman for this year and our future.

If we manage some playoff hockey , great but let's keep building the right way.

I wish we ended up making a trade for Boychuk when he was available. He wouldve looked grewt in our top4. Plus the Stanley Cup experience wouldve done wonders for what we are trying to build here.

It could be worth it to go after a top4 from a cap team who needs to rid some salary. Hartley plays an entertaining brand of hockey and i like tha he gives leeway to play creatively when possible. Maybe a guy like Boychuk would sign in The summer. Or at least we can go after a guy like that.

Right now, i know we dont have the highend talent, but the fact that everyone is playing as a team and working, we dont need the 100 point guy.

We have Gaudreau who could easily now be a high first round pick and got him in the 4th round, thats on top of monahan and bennett. I think Smith can be a real player too when he comes into his own. Things are looking great!

If we can get to the playoffs, the experience and understanding of what it takes is all a part of development. What theyre learning now is more important than 1st overall. Boston didnt need to have very many high picks. This culture is more important than anything. We wont accept inconsistency or mediocrity. You earn your right to play. The Playoffs is a product of that.

It's easy to point to the top 5 draft picks as necessary ingredients for a championship but correlation does not always equal causation. 

Examining the past 5 winners, we have Boston, who had Sequin 2nd overall. No other players in the top 5. 

LA has Drew Doughty Acquired 2nd overall no other players drafted top 5

Chicago is the picture perfect example of "tanking" but even then they only have two top 5 draft picks Kane and Toews 1st and 3rd respectively.

Then you look over the teams that haven't turned it around yet. Florida has 3 top 5 picks. Edmonton has 4, Colorado has 3. 

Then we look around the rest of the league and realize there is so much parity that nearly every team in the NHL has at least one top 5 draft pick on their roster. I think the exception is Detroit, who won a cup 6 years ago. 

The Flames have Bennet now who went #4 and then Monohan went #6. Maybe that's all we need to build an LA/Boston type model.

That's exactly what I am thinking. If you get some good players who compliment each other, the team game does more for you that just a one line team.

If Edmonton can get a few more pieces or a couple of their defence prospects come into their own, they can turn it around in a hurry. Right now it looks bad, but when the players get complimentary help, then they will take the next step.

We are lucky we have players we drafted outside the first round. And if we had a good team. Would some of our rookies still be playing in the nhl? But still, we're looking up for sure.

You don't need high end skill everywhere in your lineup, but you do need skill, size, and speed. A good system implemented by the coach helps too. We also got lucky finding Giordano and so far Jooris.

That's exactly what I am thinking. If you get some good players who compliment each other, the team game does more for you that just a one line team.

If Edmonton can get a few more pieces or a couple of their defence prospects come into their own, they can turn it around in a hurry. Right now it looks bad, but when the players get complimentary help, then they will take the next step.

We are lucky we have players we drafted outside the first round. And if we had a good team. Would some of our rookies still be playing in the nhl? But still, we're looking up for sure.

You don't need high end skill everywhere in your lineup, but you do need skill, size, and speed. A good system implemented by the coach helps too. We also got lucky finding Giordano and so far Jooris.

It's easy to point to the top 5 draft picks as necessary ingredients for a championship but correlation does not always equal causation. 

Examining the past 5 winners, we have Boston, who had Sequin 2nd overall. No other players in the top 5. 

LA has Drew Doughty Acquired 2nd overall no other players drafted top 5

Chicago is the picture perfect example of "tanking" but even then they only have two top 5 draft picks Kane and Toews 1st and 3rd respectively.

Then you look over the teams that haven't turned it around yet. Florida has 3 top 5 picks. Edmonton has 4, Colorado has 3. 

Then we look around the rest of the league and realize there is so much parity that nearly every team in the NHL has at least one top 5 draft pick on their roster. I think the exception is Detroit, who won a cup 6 years ago. 

The Flames have Bennet now who went #4 and then Monohan went #6. Maybe that's all we need to build an LA/Boston type model.

About Chicago - keep in mind that the year they drafted Kane, they had the lowest percentage of winning the first overall pick. They literally won the lottery that year. The 'hawks were slated to pick fifth; finishing better than four other teams. So no, they are not really a picture perfect example of tanking because they have never finished league worst. 

We have Bennett (4th OA) & Monahan (6th OA). High enough to suit you?

As you said, the player picked later could/would have been a 1/1 in a shallower draft. 2006 was a pretty good draft & Toews went 3rd. Sometimes the best player isn't the 1st OA. (Giroux @ #22 looks better than many taken ahead of him.)

When drafting teenagers due diligence & patience play a big role.

I'll be happier earning a pick as far near the last as possible. :)

This. Bennett was ranked #1 overall by Central scouting. We might've stole the #1 player in that draft. Time will tell. Monahan is also a steal at #6. He's improving in the Soph season not regressing (at least, I think he is). There's not a lot of 20-year-olds playing against the other teams top lines. Looking at the lines of the teams that drafted 1-5 in 2013, only Johnithan Drouin is playing top-line in his natural position. MacKinnon and Lindholm are playing top-line wings. Good company to be in though eh?

To summarize, we got our picks, at someone on the forums likes to say "let the draft chips fall where they may." I'm satisfied with what we have. Also, we will still have a (very slim) chance of getting #1 overall.

Source:

www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/

Wikipedia

Archived