Call ups

Krule

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

The Calgary Flames announced today that they have recalled defenceman Tyler Wotherspoon from the Adirondack Flames of the American Hockey League and assigned centre Drew Shore to Adirondack.

Calgary also announced that they have placed defenceman Ladislav Smid on the Injured Reserve and activated goaltender Karri Ramo from the Injured Reserve.

Good for Wotherspoon, I hope they pair him with Wideman. I don't get this Wideman / Russell pairing, neither one can push anyone around in front of our net.

Wotherspoon isn't ready for that kind of minutes. Also I don't think he is all that physical just a big body.

Good for Wotherspoon, I hope they pair him with Wideman. I don't get this Wideman / Russell pairing, neither one can push anyone around in front of our net.

It seems to be working. Wideman is one of (if not still the) higheest scoring defenceman in the league, and is (finally) a +/-0. Russell leads the league in shot blocks, and has been a + player pretty much all year.

No, they may not be able to push other teams around, but they aren't a liability for us. Definitey wouldn't want them as a top pairing, but for no they're a pretty good 3/4 combo IMHO.

Personally, I prefer a better +/- rating to physicality. Take Engellend. Sure he can push people around but he hovers around a -12 currently. That's scary bad.

As for Wotherspoon, YES, YES, YES!! Finally!! He's not ready for big minutes in the NHL yet as others have said, but that's a great upgrade for the bottom pairing with Diaz. Hopefuly that's our pairing going forward.

Yes I know it's working but then we have the two clumps together in the last pairing. I like Russell because he is such a smart player and a good puck mover. Good to finally be able to see Wotherspoon up and see how he has developed further.

With the All Star break coming up I am not sure that we will get to see Wotherspoon this call up, it all depends on how long Smid is out. It sounds like Diaz is playing tonight.

With the All Star break coming up I am not sure that we will get to see Wotherspoon this call up, it all depends on how long Smid is out. It sounds like Diaz is playing tonight.

Hartley said that travel was causing a delay in T-Spoon reaching Anaheim in time for the practice or afternoon skate.  He said he was doubtful for playing tonight as a result.  Diaz is getting the start as a result.

It's a shame that T-Spoon doesn't get to play for about a week, but hey, his is getting NHL pay for practicing with the team in the meantime.

I would guess Smid has a concussion, since the hit looked to cause his a lot of pain.  Either that or a neck/shoulder ailment.  Spoon will likely be carried for at least a handfull of games.

• 2 weeks later...

So we call up wolf, baer and t-spoon early in the week. None of them slot in. Fair enough I suppose, ahl was on the all star break and Addy had no games this week. Until tonight. Now we have taken two of their top 6 forwards and one of their top 2 d away and for what? None of them are projected to be in the line up. So what gives? Almost makes me wonder if we are in cap floor trouble and needed the extra contracts on or something. Send the boys down if they aren't going to play!

So we call up wolf, baer and t-spoon early in the week. None of them slot in. Fair enough I suppose, ahl was on the all star break and Addy had no games this week. Until tonight. Now we have taken two of their top 6 forwards and one of their top 2 d away and for what? None of them are projected to be in the line up. So what gives? Almost makes me wonder if we are in cap floor trouble and needed the extra contracts on or something. Send the boys down if they aren't going to play!

I won't comment on why they aren't playing since I have gone on about that elsewhere.

Having 23 on the roster is a good idea, considering the length of time it takes to get a player here.

Players having been battling illness, minor injuries, etc. Having the extra bodies around gives you options. Many a player have been hurt during a practice or pre-game skate. As I mentioned in the GDT, Hudler and Russell both missed the practice with illness; Hartley says they will most likely play though. Sven and Spoon took their spots in practice.

Practicing with the team is a good idea. The coach can sub out a player who looks to be struggling, unless Hartley feels they need to play to get off the Schnide. Looking at you Paulie and MayRay.

They were brought up as insurance. There was call for a huge storm in the east and if we were going to be men out we wanted the replacements here.

As to why they have no been inserted into the lineup? I can't say except he teams we have iced have been competitive each game.

I don't mind that they're not playing, I really only mind the line combinations. The offense seems to stop with the grinders (3rd/4th liners) that are put on with the skilled guys. 

I guess that's because we don't have skilled big guys with truculence. But still. I hope we have a better fate with the Oilers tonight. I feel like the Oilers are due to win though. But this is why they play the games. Go Flames! 

They were brought up as insurance. There was call for a huge storm in the east and if we were going to be men out we wanted the replacements here.

As to why they have no been inserted into the lineup? I can't say except he teams we have iced have been competitive each game.

We haven't scored in five periods. With Hudler and Glencross both out we have one finisher on the wing. We got shut out last game.

Not sure how playing Bouma, Raymond, Byron, Bollig, etc makes any sense while you have a rookie scorer sitting the bench.

We haven't scored in five periods. With Hudler and Glencross both out we have one finisher on the wing. We got shut out last game.

Not sure how playing Bouma, Raymond, Byron, Bollig, etc makes any sense while you have a rookie scorer sitting the bench.

What I've been trying to preach. If you think these 2 should be trade bait, how do you like what you see without them?

Bouma made me look silly! Which is great. I still think having him top 6 is silly, but I am really happy for him. Easy guy to cheer for.

Yup. I must admit I was pretty grumpy at the start of the game due to Hartley's lineup decisions: keeping Bouma in the top 6, playing both Raymond and Byron instead of Baertschi.

If we lost the game, I'd probably be complaining. But Bouma proved me wrong on this one. Also, Raymond and Byron combined for the first goal, which really opened the floodgates and gave the Flames confidence when they looked snakebitten. So I'll have to keep my fool mouth shut for now.

Bouma made me look silly! Which is great. I still think having him top 6 is silly, but I am really happy for him. Easy guy to cheer for.

Bouma is the kind of guy every team needs; he hits, blocks, fights and can chip in goals. I would pick him over Byron every time. Byron played twice as much as Wolf and was lucky to being pushed just before Raymond shot. He ended up tipping the shot in somehow. Wolf was a force on the rush, so he earned his icetime tonight.

Archived