Flames Defense

CheersMan

I think some good foresight the Flames have used by investing early in puck moving d men , we have a handful of good quality prospects right now. Not all will pan out but they carry such high value on the market it's a great currency to have as trade chips when your filtering out these prospects in the future.

I think the Flames are going to have to get at least one of Smid, Engelland, or Wideman off the roster next season.

The top 3 is set with Giordano, Brodie, and Hamilton. One of the bad contracts will likely stick around and play (probably Engelland). Jokipakka is now in the picture. Plus Wotherspoon, Nakladal, and Kulak have looked good in call ups. It's going to be tough to have any semblance of always earned if you don't play at least one of the younger guys.

That brings you to six. The second bad contract can fill number 7 (if you can't move it) but you need to move one.

I think Engelland can be moved this summer with one more season left. But of the three he is the guy to keep. Wideman can probably be moved with salary retained. Smid is a tough one. If he is hurt the decision is made for you. But if he is healthy it probably makes sense to park him as the number 7D. Someone needs to sit the bench and a buyout just extends the cap problem and a demotion gives you no cap space.

I think the Flames are going to have to get at least one of Smid, Engelland, or Wideman off the roster next season.

The top 3 is set with Giordano, Brodie, and Hamilton. One of the bad contracts will likely stick around and play (probably Engelland). Jokipakka is now in the picture. Plus Wotherspoon, Nakladal, and Kulak have looked good in call ups. It's going to be tough to have any semblance of always earned if you don't play at least one of the younger guys.

That brings you to six. The second bad contract can fill number 7 (if you can't move it) but you need to move one.

I think Engelland can be moved this summer with one more season left. But of the three he is the guy to keep. Wideman can probably be moved with salary retained. Smid is a tough one. If he is hurt the decision is made for you. But if he is healthy it probably makes sense to park him as the number 7D. Someone needs to sit the bench and a buyout just extends the cap problem and a demotion gives you no cap space.

Can they pay Smid to retire without it being considered a buyout effecting the cap ? I would think they could.

Priority 1 is to find a way to move Wideman out, it won't be easy, but he doesn't look as bad at $2.75m.

As far as Smid goes, he is either healthy and on the roster or he isn't. We will just have to wait and see.

Engelland is a good guy to keep around, but I think we have depth to move him if we can.

If these three guys aren't on the roster we save around $7-8m. There's our starting goalie and a depth winger/defenseman.

Smid retiring is the most likely outcome for him.  He is getting to the point where even a small hit takes him out of commission.  That doesn't make sense for any player.  Wideman will be moved by the end of summer.  Toronto is a possible destination.  That puts Spoon and Engelland as the 6/7D which is fine.  I think that is a decent 7D to go with.  Still have new prospects and growing ones in the AHL.  Kulak has to pass the likes of Spoon or Jokipakka to be an option to play on the big club.  Sometimes you just have to develop all of them and see who rises to the top.  Add Hickey and Gilmour into the mix and it could be interesting.  Seem to have more LHS in the AHL than the big club.

Can they pay Smid to retire without it being considered a buyout effecting the cap ? I would think they could.

No. Smid has a contract so if he wants to play he needs to be on the roster or the Flames need to buy him out you can't force a player to retire. At this point its unlikely Smid would "retire" becuase he has a contract. If and i really stress IF, he can't play do to injury he would be smart to still agree to "play" and sit on the roster for the season. if he retires he doesn't get paid, but if he can't/doestn't want to play due to injury he can still get paid but Flames would get cap relief in that circumstance. 

I think just like last summer people need to wait and see what happens with Smid. Remember last summer everyone assumed he was done and was going to retire with no information to back that up. As of right now, we have ZERO information that he is going to retire so until that changes I don't see why people should hint he will retire. 

No. Smid has a contract so if he wants to play he needs to be on the roster or the Flames need to buy him out you can't force a player to retire. At this point its unlikely Smid would "retire" becuase he has a contract. If and i really stress IF, he can't play do to injury he would be smart to still agree to "play" and sit on the roster for the season. if he retires he doesn't get paid, but if he can't/doestn't want to play due to injury he can still get paid but Flames would get cap relief in that circumstance. 

I think just like last summer people need to wait and see what happens with Smid. Remember last summer everyone assumed he was done and was going to retire with no information to back that up. As of right now, we have ZERO information that he is going to retire so until that changes I don't see why people should hint he will retire. 

I think hint means hope he retires, either way his play from lack of playing has become terrible.

Smid is going to get squeezed out, Nakladal and Pakka have played well. I admire Smids toughness but he's not playing with the same grit he used to. He was the original Kris Russell in terms of shot blocking many moons ago. If it is in fact another neck injury i just don't see him risking his life just to fulfill his contract. The good news is we will have some great competition next training camp amongst the D core.

Nakladal has shown that he's a solid bottom pairing guy. 

Kevin is looking  like a good 5D, with possible 4D upside. Admittedly a very limited sample size thus far though. 

At this point, they definitely squeeze out Smid and Wideman for next year. Engellend ha (surprisingly) played the best of our bottom 3 this year and brings a size that no others on our D core do. 

But even he's being challenged for a spot by Kulak and Wotherspoon. 

Biggest problem with D is going to be unloading money in the off-season. We have the players to replace the bottom 3, the question is whether we can unload enough contracts to do so. 

• Like 1

I've been noticing a lot of missed assignments/getting beat out of Giordano and even, to a lessor extent Brodie lately.  Not sure if its just the reality of First pairing D against superstars (most likely) or not but it seems more than I have recalled previously.  I'm pretty sure its going against superstars.... heck, how many times has Gaudreau turned Doughty inside out, especially last year?  It happens to even the best.

I've been noticing a lot of missed assignments/getting beat out of Giordano and even, to a lessor extent Brodie lately.  Not sure if its just the reality of First pairing D against superstars (most likely) or not but it seems more than I have recalled previously.  I'm pretty sure its going against superstars.... heck, how many times has Gaudreau turned Doughty inside out, especially last year?  It happens to even the best.

Overall, I think it's a team issue.  Someone on the line is missing the assignment.  Sometimes you see Engelland standing in front of the net, guarding nobody and a guy is all alone in the slot.  That could have been a C's man or the communication was mixed up or there was a switch.

I think some of it can be blamed on the forwards getting into transition before the Flames have the space to make a smart exit.  That is one area that Johnny needs to improve; his defensive zone play.  He can strip the puck but doesn't prevent much from happening.

I don't expect him to block shots, but he has to be better on the backcheck.

I think it's mental errors personally. The effort has been there for most of the team lately but there have been a lot of characteristic mental errors. I think that is as simple as a disaster of a season catching up to you. I think it's really tough for guys to find focus right now when the season is over but they still want their effort level high so they wind up trying to hard. Playing hard but not smart

Pretty easy trap to fall into and one the snapped in Piitsburgh. You didn't see the same mental errors and it was a much cleaner game. Less turnovers and much, much better positioning than the last few games.

I think it's mental errors personally. The effort has been there for most of the team lately but there have been a lot of characteristic mental errors. I think that is as simple as a disaster of a season catching up to you. I think it's really tough for guys to find focus right now when the season is over but they still want their effort level high so they wind up trying to hard. Playing hard but not smart

Pretty easy trap to fall into and one the snapped in Piitsburgh. You didn't see the same mental errors and it was a much cleaner game. Less turnovers and much, much better positioning than the last few games.

I think they got read the riot act to finish out the year professionally.

It should not be that difficult for Pro athletes.

Even if you're not in the running for the play-offs, your still have your job and career to play for.

Finding motivation should not be an insurmountable obstacle.

Back to defense.

Giordano & Brodie are golden.

RD Hamilton is one the Top 35 scorers among NHL defense-men.

Jokipakka, & Wotherspoon are both playing decently on the left side.

Engelland and Nakladal are doing the same on the right.

LD Smid is injured.

Where does RD Dennis Wideman play when his suspension/appeal is up at the end of this week?

Not counting Smid, that's 8 D on the roster.

I guess that you could send Nakladal down to Stockton; but I was hoping to see more of him, as he will be a UFA at the end of this season.

It should not be that difficult for Pro athletes.

Even if you're not in the running for the play-offs, your still have your job and career to play for.

Finding motivation should not be an insurmountable obstacle.

Back to defense.

Giordano & Brodie are golden.

RD Hamilton is one the Top 35 scorers among NHL defense-men.

Jokipakka, & Wotherspoon are both playing decently on the left side.

Engelland and Nakladal are doing the same on the right.

LD Smid is injured.

Where does RD Dennis Wideman play when his suspension/appeal is up at the end of this week?

Not counting Smid, that's 8 D on the roster.

I guess that you could send Nakladal down to Stockton; but I was hoping to see more of him, as he will be a UFA at the end of this season.

I think the roster limits are done as of TDL.  No point in sending him down now.  He wouldn't be able to play in the AHL playoffs in the unlikely event that Stockton makes them.  If anything, I think you will see him play and somebody else sit some games.  

Wotherspoon is back up, which means Nadkladl is going to miss at least tonights game if not more.

The #Flames have recalled Tyler Wotherspoon from the @AHLHeat on an emergency basis ~ http://cflam.es/1QxSvKu 

This is interesting to me as well.

#Flames Jakub Nakladal is out, Tyler Wotherspoon is up and in, Mark Giordano and TJ Brodie will continue to play on separate pairings.

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

I quite like that they are experimenting with splitting up Brodie/Giordano as it gives them more options for next year. Top 4 may not be as much a need with guys like Nakladl and Jokipakka and you could try and use Brodie/Giordano to prop their games up but also give Hamilton a consistant partner too. I know Gio-Hamilton didn't work earlier in the year but I think that had alot to do with both of them struggling individually and less about their lack of chemistry. 

I also didn't think Engelland looked out of place with Gio at all last game and i've always liked Brodie-Hamilton. 

When games matter again you will probably see Brodie back with Giordano.  But now is the time to experiment.  It is refreshing to see the coach doing it.  I only wish we saw a few more kids in the line-up, but that is more a symptom of limited call ups and a lack of spots.

When games matter again you will probably see Brodie back with Giordano.  But now is the time to experiment.  It is refreshing to see the coach doing it.  I only wish we saw a few more kids in the line-up, but that is more a symptom of limited call ups and a lack of spots.

Great time to experiment, which helps set the table for next Fall.  Hopefully these young guys prove their worth which might provide impetus for trading away Smid, Engelland and Wideman before the draft and going with some new faces.

Interesting that Wideman was practicing in place of Engelland.  That and the fact that Wotherspoon is still here.  Should here this week about the suspension decision, but if Nakladal is ready to go, Spoon has to go down or get converted.  The latter doesn't make sense from an asset evaluation point of view.  We kinda know what we have in him, so I would rather make use of the final 2 recalls for forwards.  We have 7D once Wideman's suspension is lifted.

When games matter again you will probably see Brodie back with Giordano. But now is the time to experiment. It is refreshing to see the coach doing it. I only wish we saw a few more kids in the line-up, but that is more a symptom of limited call ups and a lack of spots.

Actually the more I've thought about it the more I'm thinking the flames would be better off trying to split up Gio and Brodie. We've seen them both maintain their play apart and if they are on different pairings you could have one of them on the ice almost all the time. When the Ducks had Pronger-Niedermyer they did that and it was really effective because no matter how good your opposition was you almost always had one of your top dman out there. Would be a lot harder to line match against the flames.

Actually the more I've thought about it the more I'm thinking the flames would be better off trying to split up Gio and Brodie. We've seen them both maintain their play apart and if they are on different pairings you could have one of them on the ice almost all the time. When the Ducks had Pronger-Niedermyer they did that and it was really effective because no matter how good your opposition was you almost always had one of your top dman out there. Would be a lot harder to line match against the flames.

Not a bad idea, it does stretch our elite D out. As long as it doesn't start to hinder Gio or Brodie's play then why not give it a shot. Pretty special when our 1st D pairing have 40pts a piece so you'd want to be careful not to derail that chemistry. Once the D has confidence in the goaltending I think we'll see our D take that next step...a lot of new looks we could have with our D prospects moving forward

Not a bad idea, it does stretch our elite D out. As long as it doesn't start to hinder Gio or Brodie's play then why not give it a shot. Pretty special when our 1st D pairing have 40pts a piece so you'd want to be careful not to derail that chemistry. Once the D has confidence in the goaltending I think we'll see our D take that next step...a lot of new looks we could have with our D prospects moving forward

But if one of those D that plays with them becomes elite as well (Hamilton), then that makes three elites. Hamilton playing with Brodie makes Hamilton better in the long run. It is a win-win.