Flames Defense

CheersMan

If we could somehow get a guy like Kinkaid sure, but I don't see that as a realistic option. NJD isn't going to give him up without a good return, and most of our good trade chips are gone now without making more holes on the team. 

Maybe BT has more great trades in him, but even his magic runs out at some point. 

Yes, its a possible scenario, but I think the most likely one is a stop gap. 

If we could somehow get a guy like Kinkaid sure, but I don't see that as a realistic option. NJD isn't going to give him up without a good return, and most of our good trade chips are gone now without making more holes on the team. 

Maybe BT has more great trades in him, but even his magic runs out at some point. 

Yes, its a possible scenario, but I think the most likely one is a stop gap. 

Again I will disagree. NJ has a lot of holes to fill next season and they need some youth. I see no reason why BT couldn't put something together. Let's not forget Schneider is signed for the next 4 years there.

Wotherspoon back to Stockton. Emergency loan cancelled due to Kokipakka's arrival. We have 2 call-ups left!

It's actually 3, unless you're counting on the Flames spending one on Ortio to come back (he's on emergency recall, too, according to Kerr on Fan960).

It's actually 3, unless you're counting on the Flames spending one on Ortio to come back (he's on emergency recall, too, according to Kerr on Fan960).

This is starting to get confusing again.  Supposedly, if Backstrom is healthy enough to play and joins the team, they have to send down Ortio, and use of of their remaining 3 callups.  That means we get exactly 2 more players that can come up, injury or not.  The only thing is to hold off calling up anybody, and only use an emergency callup if somebody is injured.  Still can bring up 2 more, but the first guy up gets sent back as soon as the injury is over.  Like I said, it gets confusing.  

This is starting to get confusing again. Supposedly, if Backstrom is healthy enough to play and joins the team, they have to send down Ortio, and use of of their remaining 3 callups. That means we get exactly 2 more players that can come up, injury or not. The only thing is to hold off calling up anybody, and only use an emergency callup if somebody is injured. Still can bring up 2 more, but the first guy up gets sent back as soon as the injury is over. Like I said, it gets confusing.

The 4 call ups are for regular call ups only. An emergency recall doesn't count towards the 4 but like you said the player has to be sent down as soon as the roster meets minimum again.

The 4 call ups are for regular call ups only. An emergency recall doesn't count towards the 4 but like you said the player has to be sent down as soon as the roster meets minimum again.

I think that is what I was saying.  We used one.  If Ortio gets sent down, then it requires one to bring him back up, unless an injury occurs.

Flames should have 3 call-ups left but will need to use 1 if they want to keep Ortio up here, which I would assume they do. So assuming that does happen, then the Flames will only have 2 regular call ups left. 

What was the number of games Ortio had to get in so we kept contract control ? You would have to think BT wants this covered as a minimum.

What was the number of games Ortio had to get in so we kept contract control ? You would have to think BT wants this covered as a minimum.

He has to play 30 mins or more in 8 more games to keep RFA status. 

I dont' think its a key issue to be honest. With 19 games left the only way I dont' see Ortio playing in at least 8 of them is if his play doesn't warran it and if his play doesn't warrant it the Flames lkely won't care if he is RFA or UFA.

He has to play 30 mins or more in 8 more games to keep RFA status. 

I dont' think its a key issue to be honest. With 19 games left the only way I dont' see Ortio playing in at least 8 of them is if his play doesn't warran it and if his play doesn't warrant it the Flames lkely won't care if he is RFA or UFA.

THX and I agree. I think he has looked good outside of the one game so far since coming back.

The Flames D is starting to look like it is in good shape for next season. Wotherspoon coming up and playing solid allows him to move back into the conversation for an NHL job next year. I still think he needs to take a step forward to make it, but he is in the conversation. Jokipakka adds some depth as well and now gives them enough options that i'm not so sure you have to shop heavy for a top 4 dman in the offseason, the answers may be internal now and you can focus what resources you have on Forwards and goaltending. Couple key questions though

1- What is Smid's status? He has a contract so if he is heatlhy he is on the roster. No one is going to trade for him now and i'm not going to get into what happened last summer with people speculating about his health. Out of respect for Smid, I hope he can play but there is no questions its a huge boost to the Flames cap situation if he can't becuase they don't need his skill set anymore. 

2- Can they re sign Nadkladl? I think he's earned another contract but apparantly there was KHL interest in him last offseason so does that money sway him at all? I like him, but i'm also not going to throw a bunch of money at him. I'd like him on a 1 or 2 year deal for 1.5 or less and there's always potential the KHL comes calling offereing more. Just becusae he came over him for 1 season doesn't mean he wants to stay, he could have come just to prove it to himself he can do it. 

3- Can they move Wideman? Now not only will it help their cap it will give other guys a chance to play. I think he is moveable if you eat money or take a contract but I also don't think it will be easy. Burke said there was an interest and had he not have been suspended they thought was they coudl move him but let's see. 

The Flames D is starting to look like it is in good shape for next season. Wotherspoon coming up and playing solid allows him to move back into the conversation for an NHL job next year. I still think he needs to take a step forward to make it, but he is in the conversation. Jokipakka adds some depth as well and now gives them enough options that i'm not so sure you have to shop heavy for a top 4 dman in the offseason, the answers may be internal now and you can focus what resources you have on Forwards and goaltending. Couple key questions though

1- What is Smid's status? He has a contract so if he is heatlhy he is on the roster. No one is going to trade for him now and i'm not going to get into what happened last summer with people speculating about his health. Out of respect for Smid, I hope he can play but there is no questions its a huge boost to the Flames cap situation if he can't becuase they don't need his skill set anymore.

2- Can they re sign Nadkladl? I think he's earned another contract but apparantly there was KHL interest in him last offseason so does that money sway him at all? I like him, but i'm also not going to throw a bunch of money at him. I'd like him on a 1 or 2 year deal for 1.5 or less and there's always potential the KHL comes calling offereing more. Just becusae he came over him for 1 season doesn't mean he wants to stay, he could have come just to prove it to himself he can do it.

3- Can they move Wideman? Now not only will it help their cap it will give other guys a chance to play. I think he is moveable if you eat money or take a contract but I also don't think it will be easy. Burke said there was an interest and had he not have been suspended they thought was they coudl move him but let's see.

One thing to keep in mind with Smid too, is that he might have been a buy out candidate, but if he is on IR through the off season he can't be bought out.

Yep, my error. I misread an article about Hamilton's first start in Boston fot Calgary and thought Freddie had been recalled!

These are definitely 3 decisions that have to be dealt with in the offseason. If this last injury was Smid's neck again, he should get out if he is smart. Wideman had interest shown this TDL so let's hope something is still there (cash should help move him). Nakladal is a defenseman with good experience, I could see keeping him but if not he is replaceable.

Smid would do well to retire.  I think he gave his all to come back last year, and he doesn't have the healthy body anymore.  Whether he is an effective NHL player or not, he has to consider his health.  He's a new dad and has to consider quality of life.  

Nakladal is a good candidate to re-sign.  He is better for the bottom pair than Wideman, and there are better cheaper options like Spoon, Joki and Nak.  I hope they sign him to a 2-year, 1-way deal.  

Wideman will have more interest this summer, whether they retain salary or not.  Teams that missed out on TDL deals will like to add.  Would they be willing to pay $5m for Hamhuis or Russell?  Or take a 1-year deal on a known quantity like Wideman.  You know what you get, and you aren't stuck with a long-term UFA deal.

• Like 1

1) Keep Smid on either LTIR all season, or let him retire. Back and neck injuries are not good, and if he's smart, he'll get out while he's still walking. 

2) definitely re-sign him for the next year if he's willing to stay. 1-1.5 mil for  3rd pairing would be perfectly fair (if we can move out other money to make room. 

3) even if we have to retain 1-2 mil of salary, I'd move him. We don't have a space for him, and we need whatever cap room we can get. 

One thing to keep in mind with Smid too, is that he might have been a buy out candidate, but if he is on IR through the off season he can't be bought out.

If Smid is hurt through the offseason and into next season, then he would not be a good target for buyout anyway. As long as he is on LTIR he has not hit on our cap.

He is not on LTIR just IR so his injury seems to be a short term thing.

If Smid is hurt through the offseason and into next season, then he would not be a good target for buyout anyway. As long as he is on LTIR he has not hit on our cap.

Even on LTIR he does go on our cap, we are just allowed to go over by the same amount of his cap hit.

Treliving recently said that Smid will be out for awhile.

it might be but becuase the Flames don't have any cap issues placing him on LTIR isn't necessary for him. IR gets you the roster spot they need, LTIR gets you the cap relief, but its pretty common to find if a team isn't in cap issues they won't use LTIR. 

But to your point it is all speculation until we know otherwise. Flames havn't even confirmed what the injury is, its just the guys like Steinberg and Millions that are speculating its a neck injury. Until we know for sure I think we have to assume he is on the roster and going to be accounted for.

I'm still not convinced the Flames will use a buyout. They don't really half to and I think they woudl be a last resort for them. 

I don't think any team likes using the buyout option.

I am not sure what we do with Smid if he is healthy. Is buying out a player any more disrespectful than burying them in the minors.

In a perfect world you never need to use a buyout. The reality is that Calgary has two players making $3+m next season and neither will likely play for Calgary next year. In a situation where every cap dollar matters, it just makes sense to buy out one of the contracts.

I can only recall the Flames ever using one buyout, a compliance B/O on Shane O'Brien.

Maybe they just don't like using them, similar to their stance on not retaining salary in trades.

I'm not sure where the latter is coming from. Brian Burke was the one who actually was the most aggressive about allowing teams to retain salary and I've heard on multiple occasions both Burke and Treliving state that if the deal makes sense and they need to eat salary they would.

It's definitely true that Burke was instrumental in bringing in the CBA clause in the first place.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-retained-salary-trades/

I cannot find the quote by Trevling stating he does not like them, nor any quote that says that he does.

So, for now, I'll have to withdraw my 2nd statement.

It's definitely true that Burke was instrumental in bringing in the CBA clause in the first place.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-retained-salary-trades/

I cannot find the quote by Trevling stating he does not like them, nor any quote that says that he does.

So, for now, I'll have to withdraw my 2nd statement.

Wasn't direct negatively towards you and you are not the first person to say that either so it is out there. I just don't know why because I've heard them say the opposite. I'm sure it's not their preference to do so and its more of a last resort so that could be where it comes from but everything I've read or heard says they will do it if necessary.