Flames Defense

CheersMan

I'd be looking at a long-ish term contract for Gio with a front-loaded pay.

Something like 6 years, at say 7.5, 7, 7, 6.5, 6, 4 or 5

Averages a fair 7  million for the first four but starts to drop off when younger players will need their second contract to stay , and drops in value towards the end to make a trade easier later if we need it.

Russell I think we could look at a 4 years at 4mil per as a fair contract. Reassess the state of our D at that time.

Acolatse, Cundari, & Ramage will all be RFAs, who require qualifying offers of $770k, $725k, & $760k respectively. Does Calgary keep any/all of them?

You know, I'm glad you mentioned Sena Acolatse. I don't know what his ceiling is given that at 24 he's never played in the NHL, but I have had a chance to see him play a few times when Adirondack has played the Marlies. He's a total firecracker. I'm not sure if there's some vendetta (that he shares with Mathieu Tousignant) against the city or the team, but they're both monstrous here. They're my two favourites (in my limited sample). They're fearless, absolute troublemakers, and a real handful for the opposition.

Love.

Man our D this year have been driving the play all season long.. D starts playing great again - we start winning games.It's great to see Russell step up like he has, earlier in the season it was Gio/Brodie but Wideman and Russell are playing like mad men atm! 

Also I think it's a no brainer to keep Russell, we got him extremely cheap and he fits in our top 4 well. 

Wish we would have Smid back though.. prefer him over Diaz/Shlemmy. 

In 5,6, and 7 years, $7.25-mil will be the new "Wideman money".

Furthermore, PK Subban won the Norris and is now making $9-mil-per.  If we let a Norris-level D-man hit UFA two summers from now on a further inflated salary cap limit, do you think he's going to get less than $9-mil-per?  Your numbers are way off market value.

Subban got the Phaneuf treatment. How well did that work out? Gio is smarter than that.

As well Subban got the deal for 8 years and will end when he is 32 or essentially a contract for his entire prime years.

Its not even the same scenario.

Again, while Gio is a top 10 dman he hasnt won a norris or even been a nominee yet so why are you treating him like one?

Gio is awesome and if he didnt get injured again he had a shot at the norris this year, but games played count when a team needs to pay a second guy 20 games every year for you.

6-3 win vs TML.  The best defense is a good offense and tonight Gaudreau, Monahan and Hudler showed they are presently one of the hottest lines in the league with a combined 9 pts tonight.  

979fe809472bbd09a75576209dcc0efd.png9ab0f40a4539c851ce79b58e4237239f.png

c9f34903771eaf234743bcd44b044a92.png

But in case you were wondering about the usual D suspects, they had a combined 4 pts, 17 blocks and +6.

17ac467b002f00e1b54bd7a063345637.png

de5156bc7306390657e02827480a97de.png84e793031b0406e45e19551a354e45c2.png

He didn't have a choice. Just hit it at the wrong angle. Like I said, bad luck, not a bad play.

I do find it amusing on this board if you post something positive about  the player or the team no one ever replies to it, but say one thing that could be construed slightly negatively and you get jumped all over.

He didn't have a choice. Just hit it at the wrong angle. Like I said, bad luck, not a bad play.

I do find it amusing on this board if you post something positive about  the player or the team no one ever replies to it, but say one thing that could be construed slightly negatively and you get jumped all over.

No I don't think so... lol.... Regardless if so it was the opposite when I first started to post on these boards.... so long ago...  If my memory serves...  grr this post... starting to feel old....

Nobody responding to stating the positives can mean tacit agreement. Unless a poster has other positives to add there is really no reason to respond. We're better served rebutting the negative comments.

If a post gets no/few responses it means it's accepted as true. No need to simply agree.

I guess fair point on tacit agreement, but just a little different than just about any other board I frequent.

IDK, I just commented because its like the 4th time this week where I've had a post that basically said "the team/player did X really well, but there was this unfortunate little Y" and get several rebuttals about why Y didn't matter at all, even when in my post above I said it was bad LUCK that the goal went Schlemko and didn't blame him at all.

Just an interesting culture difference on this board.

I think to are dreaming if you think you are gettkng Gio for less then 7 mill on any term. Gio is worth probably 8-8.5 right now and will be for the next 5 years because the cap is not going down any time soon. I'd like see a 5 year deal in the 8 mill range and then an opportunity to do 1 year deals after that like the wings did with Lindstrom

• Like 1