Flames Defense

CheersMan

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

So who should be our 3LD?

My vote is Valimaki.

Depends.

Who is the 1RD?

Brodie or Ras?

If they go with Ras on 1RD, then Vali-Brodie makes sense.

It's not about Vali not being good even after being in the AHL, it's about having two rookies paired in the playoffs.

I would like to see one game at least before I would go wiht the two rookies.

Haven;t seen it in months.

Last night seemed to line up the depth as follows:

Valimaki

Fantenberg

Kylington

Stone/Prout

What say you?

Just now, travel_dude said:

Depends.

Who is the 1RD?

Brodie or Ras?

If they go with Ras on 1RD, then Vali-Brodie makes sense.

It's not about Vali not being good even after being in the AHL, it's about having two rookies paired in the playoffs.

I would like to see one game at least before I would go wiht the two rookies.

Haven;t seen it in months.

Last night seemed to line up the depth as follows:

Valimaki

Fantenberg

Kylington

Stone/Prout

What say you?

My first question is, why do we invent these scenarios being problems?

End of camp, Vali earned that spot, played in what, 22, then I high ankle sprain.

Andersson's spot was gifted to Stone but he went away and he's not getting that spot back.

So full props to Kylington and Fantenberg for stepping up.

But that's Vali's well-earned spot, and he's ready.

I get the "uh don't want rookies together". Until you say it's

Valimaki-Andersson.

Is Andersson even a rook at this point?

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

End of camp, Vali earned that spot, played in what, 22, then I high ankle sprain.

Andersson's spot was gifted to Stone but he went away and he's not getting that spot back.

Valimaki-Andersson.

Well, it's hard to say what they look like now because they haven't played together in months.

Stragely enough, Brodie has more points recently playing on the 3rd pairing.

So, ask yourself - Valimaki-Brodie and Gio-Ras.  Is that better than Brodano and ValiRas?

I don;t think the coach has any issues with using Valimaki.  He said he knows what he is.

It's more of a question of balance.  

For me it comes down what you want. Fantenberg gives you a steady game with very few mistakes. Valimaki has the ability to be a game breaker but he is a rookie with that comes mistakes.

Can Valimaki be enough of a difference maker to offset the mistakes he is going to make. If he can't then you go with Fantenberg.

13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Valimaki-Andersson.

I tend to agree with using Valimaki and have Fantenberg back him up, it's why we got him. He has proven reliable in that capacity.

I'm torn on the use of Brodie and Andersson. Given what has transpired over the course of the season I would like to see these pairings.

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Brodie

This has a veteran with each of the younger defensemen and a good mix of there talents.

12 hours ago, JTech780 said:

For me it comes down what you want. Fantenberg gives you a steady game with very few mistakes. Valimaki has the ability to be a game breaker but he is a rookie with that comes mistakes.

Can Valimaki be enough of a difference maker to offset the mistakes he is going to make. If he can't then you go with Fantenberg.

If Fanta plays, it will be with Ras.

If Valimaki plays, then the options are Vali-Ras or Vali-Brodie.

Personally, i'm going with Fantenburg. 

I want my team firing on all cylinders and come out of the game swinging. Fantenburg and Ras have been a great paring and i'm taking that over Valamaki who just missed too much time for me to put back into the fire for the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

I want my team firing on all cylinders and come out of the game swinging. Fantenburg and Ras have been a great paring and i'm taking that over Valamaki who just missed too much time for me to put back into the fire for the playoffs. 

Too be fair, Valimaki did a 20 game stint in the A.

He likely does most things better than Fantenberg, but Fantenberg keeps it pretty darn quiet.

Vali has another game tonight to prove, but being paired with Stone works against him.

I do believe they'll go with Fanta, as he's still paired with Rasmus in these games.

It's a very nice problem to have!

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

I keep waiting for something bad about this guy to come out. He seems too good to be true. Hand it to Tre.

21 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I keep waiting for something bad about this guy to come out. He seems too good to be true. Hand it to Tre.

Not bad for a guy that never really stood out in LA.

As in, never made Doubty type errors.

Never scored goals like Burns.

Never got beat like a Russell.

Not flashy, but the kind you want to have on your roster, even if he's not an everyday guy.

Why pay $3.5m for STone when you have this guy?

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Not bad for a guy that never really stood out in LA.

As in, never made Doubty type errors.

Never scored goals like Burns.

Never got beat like a Russell.

Not flashy, but the kind you want to have on your roster, even if he's not an everyday guy.

Why pay $3.5m for STone when you have this guy?

That is what I mean though. I keep looking for a drawback, and he seems to be for reals. Unremarkable, consistent, and seemingly devoid of errors. At this dude's price, get him out there more. Treliving snagged some real value.

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

That is what I mean though. I keep looking for a drawback, and he seems to be for reals. Unremarkable, consistent, and seemingly devoid of errors. At this dude's price, get him out there more. Treliving snagged some real value.

I got no issue whatso-f'n-ever is re-signing him.

The trade itself was a 4th in 202 that becomes a 3rd if he plays in 50% of the playoff games and we reach the WCF. 

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I got no issue whatso-f'n-ever is re-signing him.

The trade itself was a 4th in 202 that becomes a 3rd if he plays in 50% of the playoff games and we reach the WCF. 

I will be happy to give them a 3rd myself. 

11 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I tend to agree with using Valimaki and have Fantenberg back him up, it's why we got him. He has proven reliable in that capacity.

I'm torn on the use of Brodie and Andersson. Given what has transpired over the course of the season I would like to see these pairings.

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Brodie

This has a veteran with each of the younger defensemen and a good mix of there talents.

Honestly, that Vali-Brodie pairing I think would have some real potential. Especially since Vali plays a game that is reminiscent of Gio, which means that especially with experience, Vali-Brodie should work as a pairing.

Also, Fanta has been great. He is like Butler in that he doesn't stand out in really, any way (bad or good). Except unlike Butler, Fanta still does all the small things right that Butler would just not do.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/analyzing-nhls-skill-players-best-breaking/

There is a good chart in this article showing that Brodie, Hanifin, Giordano and Andersson are amongst the best defenders in the league at transitioning the puck out of the defensive zone with controlled breakouts.

I know Brodie and Hanifin take some flack around here, some of it from me, but I think both these guys bring a ton of value to this team.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/analyzing-nhls-skill-players-best-breaking/

There is a good chart in this article showing that Brodie, Hanifin, Giordano and Andersson are amongst the best defenders in the league at transitioning the puck out of the defensive zone with controlled breakouts.

I know Brodie and Hanifin take some flack around here, some of it from me, but I think both these guys bring a ton of value to this team.

Great to see our 4 D on the list. Karlsson has arguably his worst season ever last year due to injury and yet he is top dog on the list? Where is Burns? Is Burns that bad in the transition game that he doesn't make the top 30? Burns looked his usual self last evening with 4pts again.  

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

There might not be a more overrated player in the league then Brent Burns right now. Until he gets into the o-zone he really does nothing. 

Norris trophy finalist in 3 of the last 4 years, winning it once. That puts him near the top 5 in my books.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say, I’m really impressed with Hanifin this season. Another year under his belt and he seems comfortable now in his 2nd year as a Flame. He still makes the odd gaffe, but I love how assertive he’s been. Last season he would go multiple games without being noticeable, this year he’s making a greater effort to be part of the rush. I also love how he talks about wanting to model himself after Gio, he could be ready to fill Gio’s role on the top pair in a couple years.

Him and Hamonic work so well together 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just noticed this thread, which imho is the topic of the biggest problem the Flames face right now, has gone dead for 2 months.

Defense...it ain't sexy.    Not loved.   No matter how bad we get defensively we'll always respond with "we need another scorer" lol.

On that note...

Are we in on Lias Andersson?

27 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Just noticed this thread, which imho is the topic of the biggest problem the Flames face right now, has gone dead for 2 months.

Defense...it ain't sexy.    Not loved.   No matter how bad we get defensively we'll always respond with "we need another scorer" lol.

On that note...

Are we in on Lias Andersson?

Part of the answer to defensive issues is to trade away the crap that you have.