Flames Defense

CheersMan

Johnny Oduya and Oliver Kylington are pretty good friends from what I've heard. I wonder if Oduya would be willing to sign here due to his relationship with Kylington. I think Oduya would be a good reliable 3rd pairing guy, who at the age of 35 I think you could get at 1.5-1.75 for 1 or 2 years.

Also I think Chicago might be the best bet for acquiring a #4 D. The Hawks are cap strapped as everyone knows, I've got my eye on Hjalmarsson, with 2 years left at 4.1 IMO he is the ideal #4 and his playing style would complement Brodie perfectly. I think Hjalmarsson may be the cheapest #4 option but I say that tongue and cheek because while CHI may need to move him, there's gonna be a ton of competition for his services

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Johnny Oduya and Oliver Kylington are pretty good friends from what I've heard. I wonder if Oduya would be willing to sign here due to his relationship with Kylington. I think Oduya would be a good reliable 3rd pairing guy, who at the age of 35 I think you could get at 1.5-1.75 for 1 or 2 years.

Also I think Chicago might be the best bet for acquiring a #4 D. The Hawks are cap strapped as everyone knows, I've got my eye on Hjalmarsson, with 2 years left at 4.1 IMO he is the ideal #4 and his playing style would complement Brodie perfectly. I think Hjalmarsson may be the cheapest #4 option but I say that tongue and cheek because while CHI may need to move him, there's gonna be a ton of competition for his services

I really dont see us being in on a trade for hjalmarsson if he was being traded, I think hes going to cost way too much especially being traded within the western conference. I think chicago will do what they always do and find a way to keep everyone. While I agree he may be the cheapest #4 in terms of cap hit, I dont think franson will be that much more expensive. Obviously franson isent at the same level, but I think he will be a better acquisition for us in free agency, or trading for someone that vegas selects.

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I honestly think the only reason is because he plays a crap ton every night.

Back to our own situation. Does BT sign Stone now that Engelland is gone for sure ? Personally I would like to see Stone brought back and have they give Andersson a real serious look on our RSD.

Just now, MAC331 said:

Back to our own situation. Does BT sign Stone now that Engelland is gone for sure ? Personally I would like to see Stone brought back and have they give Andersson a real serious look on our RSD.

I posted in the draft thread, but I really wonder if signing stone depends on who they draft or if they make a trade. It sounds like they see andersson in a third pairng role, so I guess it depends if they see stone in the top 4 or not.

3 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think he is and always was a re-sign target .. will depend on money and term, as always . 

only way I think he gets bumped if we swing a deal with vegas for another..

Personally , I don't know who plays together down there but Id bring the top pairing from Stockton up as your 3rd pair..I'm assuming that's Kulak and one of Kyllington/ Anderson ? Immediate chemistry and  easier transition while they get broken in and become regular . You still have Bart to ease the pressure .

Remember how good we thought Nakladl looked a year ago? big reason is cuz they played him with his regular partner Wotherspoon

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I think he is and always was a re-sign target .. will depend on money and term, as always . 

only way I think he gets bumped if we swing a deal with vegas for another..

Personally , I don't know who plays together down there but Id bring the top pairing from Stockton up as your 3rd pair..I'm assuming that's Kulak and one of Kyllington/ Anderson ? Immediate chemistry and  easier transition while they get broken in and become regular . You still have Bart to ease the pressure .

Remember how good we thought Nakladl looked a year ago? big reason is cuz they played him with his regular partner Wotherspoon

Wotherspoon was Andersson's partner but I wouldn't do what you are suggesting putting 2 rookies together for our 3rd pairing. I would sign Stone and use him on the 3rd pairing and Andersson with Brodie. This provides for some adjusting should the match ups not work out. I actually would like to see Wotherspoon make it as our 7th D along with Bartkowski.

15 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Wotherspoon was Andersson's partner but I would do what you are suggesting putting 2 rookies together for our 3rd pairing. I would sign Stone and use him on the 3rd pairing and Andersson with Brodie. This provides for some adjusting should the match ups not work out. I actually would like to see Wotherspoon make it as our 7th D along with Bartkowski.

Ive said it before but I really think andersson has a chance to make the top 4 but it really depends on what he does this summer. I know BT said in one of his interviews its hard to jump into the top 4 and he doesnt see it, but im really hoping. I still think we make a trade for a guy but who knows as of right now.

21 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Wotherspoon was Andersson's partner but I would do what you are suggesting putting 2 rookies together for our 3rd pairing. I would sign Stone and use him on the 3rd pairing and Andersson with Brodie. This provides for some adjusting should the match ups not work out. I actually would like to see Wotherspoon make it as our 7th D along with Bartkowski.

Wouldn't be a bad thing tho Stone will cost you in the high 3's at best bargain , thats an expensive 3rd guy.. but it's GG's job to make the pairings not to pay them :) 

Tho that does put a wrinkle in it cuz I'm pretty sure Kulak makes the team, especially being waiver eligible now, and he's the most ready over Wotherspoon.

Who does Kulak play with down there?

7 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Ive said it before but I really think andersson has a chance to make the top 4 but it really depends on what he does this summer. I know BT said in one of his interviews its hard to jump into the top 4 and he doesnt see it, but im really hoping. I still think we make a trade for a guy but who knows as of right now.

I can see him graduating there , but starting in the top 4 is a lot to ask , has he even played a Show me Game yet ?

6 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Wouldn't be a bad thing tho Stone will cost you in the high 3's at best bargain , thats an expensive 3rd guy.. but it's GG's job to make the pairings not to pay them :) 

Tho that does put a wrinkle in it cuz I'm pretty sure Kulak makes the team, especially being waiver eligible now, and he's the most ready over Wotherspoon.

Who does Kulak play with down there?

I can see him graduating there , but starting in the top 4 is a lot to ask , has he even played a Show me Game yet ?

When you are building through these phases I don't think money has to necessarily match the position placement. We have seen more of a trend towards having our younger players with experienced players for support. Kulak might have played with Morrison, not sure. Whether Andersson could stick playing with Brodie remains to be seen, if he struggles they can switch Stone back with Brodie.

After listening to Fan 960 they make a good point who will take eng place in the toughness aspect we really don't have that at all any more when playing the Oilers now with out the policing of eng they are going to take even more liberties same as LA there will be some big problems in the protection. So question who will take his place any idea's ?

4 minutes ago, zima said:

After listening to Fan 960 they make a good point who will take eng place in the toughness aspect we really don't have that at all any more when playing the Oilers now with out the policing of eng they are going to take even more liberties same as LA there will be some big problems in the protection. So question who will take his place any idea's ?

I think this whole toughness thing is overstated, pittsburgh doesnt have a "tough guy", they have kunitz who stirs the pot and theres plenty of other guys that dont have tough guys. Toughness is a great attribute to have, but with ferland, gio isent afraid to drop them, brouwer has been in fights, I really wouldnt be that concerned. If you are referring to a D men thats tough to play against in his own zone, gio fits that mold, hamilton has had his moments but really id like to see stone brought back for that reason, but im not overly worried about it.

1 minute ago, zima said:

Lomberg

8 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I think this whole toughness thing is overstated, pittsburgh doesnt have a "tough guy", they have kunitz who stirs the pot and theres plenty of other guys that dont have tough guys. Toughness is a great attribute to have, but with ferland, gio isent afraid to drop them, brouwer has been in fights, I really wouldnt be that concerned. If you are referring to a D men thats tough to play against in his own zone, gio fits that mold, hamilton has had his moments but really id like to see stone brought back for that reason, but im not overly worried about it.

Agreed, its very overrated.

Other than Engelland fighting 2 Canucks at once (and don't try to tell me that won the Flames the series because its complete BS) How many occasions can people tell me about when Engelland stood up for a teammate and it meant something in a game? If you can get to 5 i'm impressed.

Sure they will want a bit of grit on the back end but that isn't difficult to find and you should value their ability to skate, defend and move the puck way more than their ability to "protect" people. 

• Like 1

A guy I can see BT acquiring is Jason Demers. FLA has made it known they are trying to get money off the books this summer, so I don't think the acquisition cost should be too high. FLA has a logjam of D too, Ekblad, Yandle, Matheson, Mccoshem, Petrovic, Pysyk. I don't mind the contract Demers has too much either 4.5 isn't bad and 4 years is alright with me. 

As for toughness, I'm not too worried about what EDM has got. Kassian is a 4th liner that runs around trying to deck guys, Maroon will depart via free agency after this season and Lucic I can't see being much of a factor 3 or 4 years down the road.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Agreed, its very overrated.

Other than Engelland fighting 2 Canucks at once (and don't try to tell me that won the Flames the series because its complete BS) How many occasions can people tell me about when Engelland stood up for a teammate and it meant something in a game? If you can get to 5 i'm impressed.

Sure they will want a bit of grit on the back end but that isn't difficult to find and you should value their ability to skate, defend and move the puck way more than their ability to "protect" people. 

I think Bennett fought more than Engelland did.  Between him, Tkachuk, Ferland, Gio and Johnny Goon (JK), we have people that will step up to anyone, whether through being nasty or starting up stuff.  No pure fighter other than maybe Bouma.  But I doubt you see much of Bouma anyway.  

If we need toughness on the ice, then get a #4D that provides that while being a top 4 D-man.  I don't see teams like EDM or ANA beating us with their team toughness. Their speed is a big reason they beat us.  That and having sub-standard d-men or goalies on the ice.   

39 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think Bennett fought more than Engelland did.  Between him, Tkachuk, Ferland, Gio and Johnny Goon (JK), we have people that will step up to anyone, whether through being nasty or starting up stuff.  No pure fighter other than maybe Bouma.  But I doubt you see much of Bouma anyway.  

If we need toughness on the ice, then get a #4D that provides that while being a top 4 D-man.  I don't see teams like EDM or ANA beating us with their team toughness. Their speed is a big reason they beat us.  That and having sub-standard d-men or goalies on the ice.   

Most times fighting is the last resort however having known tough guys on your team curtails more than some of you want to admit. Denis Potvin was known to be one of if not the toughest player in the league when he played but never had to fight. The opposition watches their actions when your team has a player that CAN take care of business if and when necessary. This is what Engelland did for this team whether you want to admit it or not.

28 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Most times fighting is the last resort however having known tough guys on your team curtails more than some of you want to admit. Denis Potvin was known to be one of if not the toughest player in the league when he played but never had to fight. The opposition watches their actions when your team has a player that CAN take care of business if and when necessary. This is what Engelland did for this team whether you want to admit it or not.

Measuring the deterrence value of known tough guys is not an easy task in the NHL today. Regardless, I am doubtful that Engelland deterred very many cheap shots in the game while he was here. If so, Johnny would have more flexible fingers today. At the same time, I suspect that few wanted to mix it up with Engelland himself. Perhaps that is what you meant. The reality is that the impact of enforcers has deteriorated to the extent that it is almost a free-for-all out there. I don't like it myself, but that is the reality. It is not worth spending good money on a tough guy when the NHL will penalize him to the point that he is considered a liability.

The NHL prefers passive-aggression to active-aggression. This is why Wideman accidentally on purpose hit the ref, after the ref accidentally on purpose decided not to see that hit from behind on Wideman, and why the refs pretended that the Wideman effect did not exist, and why the NHL pretended to give Wideman a hearing on the suspension knowing full well that it would take place after he served his suspension and be useless. I prefer honest violence to that garbage. But hey, the NHL is not exactly concerned with their Canadian markets, especially the Calgary market. 

33 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Sure, but that was ages ago.  Point out a few examples of how Engelland curtailed this.  Seems to me that teams were more watchful of Ferland than Engelland.

But people remember him grabbing two Canucks and seem to think he was the ultimate warrior.  I will miss him for his PK and team spirit more than his "protecting" people on the team.  Big Ern was the last player we had that was a nuclear threat.