Adirondack Flames Updates [2014-15]

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Syracuse Crunch (29-11-7-0) vs Adirondack Flames (24-19-3-1) @ 05:00 PM MST [Tue, Feb 10, 2015]

Listen Live (For the addicts)
Twitter Feed (RT game updates) - twitter.com/AHLFlames - This is an active RT twitter feed. Sate your addiction.
Twitter Feed (Post Star) - twitter.com/dianacnearhos - Active twitter feed primarily for home games (Post Star AHL)

The Tampa Bay Lightning affiliate Syracuse Crunch is the final match of the current home stand.

Currently 1st place in the Eastern Conference, Syracuse will be a good test for Adirondack.

A win would show the Flames and the fans that they deservedly belong in the playoff hunt but must continue to come up with the wins if they are going to get there.

What's worse than a 3 game losing streak? A 4 game losing streak. Let's get that win!

PREVIEW: CRUNCH @ FLAMES - adirondackflames.com
Crunch visit Glens Falls for final time - syracusecrunch.com

Adirondack Flames host Syracuse Tuesday - saratogian.com

Flames try not to focus on standings - poststar.com
Postcard from Glens Falls: Syracuse Crunch makes its final regular-season visit to Adirondack today - syracuse.com

Post-game leftovers from Saturday:

Ryan Huska, 2/7 & Turner Elson, 2/7 - Adirondack Flames TV [YouTube]

AHL Divison Standings   AHL Conference Standings   Adirondack Skater Stats   Adirondack Goaltender Stats14677

Syracuse Crunch 0 (29-12-7-0) vs Adirondack Flames 10 (25-19-3-1)

1. ADK Reinhart, (7) (Agostino, Hanowski), 5:27

1. ADK Granlund, (6) (Hathaway), 10:11 (SH)

2. ADK Cundari, (3) (Wotherspoon, Agostino), 2:24

2. ADK Shore, (11) (Cundari, Poirier), 8:00 (PP)

2. ADK Baertschi, (6) (Granlund, Hathaway), 11:42

2. ADK Baertschi, (7) (Hathaway, Cundari), 17:19

3. ADK Elson, (8) (McGrattan), 8:22

3. ADK Agostino, (5) (Hanowski), 13:40

3. ADK Baertschi, (8) (Wotherspoon), 14:43

3. ADK Elson, (9) (McGrattan, Stevenson), 18:24

Boxscore     :D    AHL Syracuse Crunch 0 at Adirondack Flames 10 - Adirondack Flames TV [YouTube]

We were hoping for a win but certainly not expecting a 10-0 pounding of the 1st place team in the East. :o
Nine (9) players with multi-point games, a 1/2 PP, 5/5 PK, 1 SHG & a 29 shot shutout for Ortio.
This game is going to give the guys a huge boost of confidence going forward in the battle for the playoffs.
Perhaps even a Utica-beating mindset for the remaining 3 games against them this season.

The Flames need to carry the momentum from this victory to a road match against Rochester on Friday.
They will then have an entire week off before a 2 consecutive game visit to Oklahoma City to engage the Western Conference leading Barons. Hopefully they can keep the fire stoked!

AHL Communications @AHLPR  - The @AHLFlames are the first @TheAHL team to win a game by a double-digit margin since Dec. 8, 2002 (Hamilton 15, Cleveland 1)

AHL Divison Standings   AHL Conference Standings   Adirondack Skater Stats   Adirondack Goaltender Stats14745

Syracuse Crunch 0 (29-12-7-0) vs Adirondack Flames 10 (25-19-3-1)

1. ADK Reinhart, (7) (Agostino, Hanowski), 5:27

1. ADK Granlund, (6) (Hathaway), 10:11 (SH)

2. ADK Cundari, (3) (Wotherspoon, Agostino), 2:24

2. ADK Shore, (11) (Cundari, Poirier), 8:00 (PP)

2. ADK Baertschi, (6) (Granlund, Hathaway), 11:42

2. ADK Baertschi, (7) (Hathaway, Cundari), 17:19

3. ADK Elson, (8) (McGrattan), 8:22

3. ADK Agostino, (5) (Hanowski), 13:40

3. ADK Baertschi, (8) (Wotherspoon), 14:43

3. ADK Elson, (9) (McGrattan, Stevenson), 18:24474

Holy crud. Baertschi with a hatty? Cundari with 3 points? Agostino with 3 points? Elson 2 goals?

I hope the guys build on this and start putting pucks in the net more to help their confidence.  I guess it was a major waste of talent having Sven, Granny and Spoon sitting in CGY while the team was falling in the standings.

AHLWest-15-02-10_zps66a3bed2.png

Huge logjam from 7-9. Why are we in 7th & not 9th place?

I updated this chart to decipher the mysterious AHL tie-breaking hierarchy when 3 teams are tied.

Following are the tiebreaking procedures used in the event of a tie in points in the standings, regardless of division, following the completion of the regular season. (Prior to the end of the regular season, the team with fewer games played is ranked higher in the event of a tie in points.) When a tie among three or more teams is broken resulting in a two-team tie, the original tiebreaking method is used.

Between two teams:
a) wins (excluding shootouts)
B) points in season series between teams
c) goal differential
d) goals scored in season series between teams
e) intra-conference points percentage

Among three or more teams:
a) wins (excluding shootouts)
B) points percentage in combined season series

c) goal differential
d) goal differential in combined season series
e) intra-conference points percentage

All 3 have played 48 games, all have 54 pts, all have 24 wins when excluding ADK's SO win.

Therefore looking at "points percentage in combined season series"

ADK 2W vs 0W CHI
ADK 3W vs 1W HAM
CHI 1W vs 0W HAM

7th - ADK 10/12 pts (0.833) / 8th - CHI 2/6 pts (0.333) / 9th - HAM 2/10 pts (0.200)

Thunder-logo310x299_zpsdabf9a1e.jpg

Despite the sadness I feel for Glens Falls in losing their AHL team I am excited for their new beginning with a ECHL team.

I think this logo rocks. In fact, I think it is quite an improvement over the flaming A.

GLENS FALLS ECHL TEAM NAMED ADIRONDACK THUNDER - adirondackflames.com
Thunder the newest chapter in Adirondack pro hockey - saratogian.com
Calgary names ECHL team Adirondack Thunder - poststar.com 14887

Adirondack Flames (25-19-3-1) @ Rochester Americans (21-26-3-0) @ 05:05 PM MST [Fri, Feb 13, 2015]

Twitter Feed (RT game updates) - twitter.com/AHLFlames - This is an active RT twitter feed. Sate your addiction.
Twitter Feed (Post Star) - twitter.com/dianacnearhos - Active twitter feed primarily for home games (Post Star AHL)

The cluster of teams currently sitting from 4th-11th is separated by a mere 7 pts in the Western Conference.

The Flames must continue to win tonight as there is no cushion whatsover to fall back on.

Success is the only viable option. No need for 10 goal shutout victories.

A 1 goal victory counts the same in the standings. Get it done!

PREVIEW: FLAMES @ AMERICANS - adirondackflames.com
AMERKS RETURN HOME TONIGHT TO TAKE ON FLAMES AT BLUE CROSS ARENA - amerks.com

Mark Cundari playing his best hockey of the year - poststar.com

Glens Falls Chronicle Adirondack Flames Player of the Week: Mark Cundari - pbs.twimg.com

Hanowski's hard work paying off - Calgary Flames Future Watch - flames.nhl.com

AHL Divison Standings   AHL Conference Standings   Adirondack Skater Stats   Adirondack Goaltender Stats14966

Adirondack Flames 4 (25-20-3-1) @ Rochester Americans 7 (22-26-3-0)

1. RCH Dalpe, (12) (D'Amigo, Leduc), 0:22

1. ADK Hathaway, (10) (Granlund, Stevenson), 6:46

1. ADK Elson, (10) (McGrattan, Tousignant), 8:48

1. ADK Elson, (11) , 10:59

1. RCH Irwin, (9) (Varone), 13:39 (PP)

1. RCH Larsson, (14) (Dalpe, D'Amigo), 17:09

2. ADK Poirier, (14) (Kulak, Baertschi), 6:13 (PP)

2. RCH Carrier, (7) (Schaller, Austin), 15:50

2. RCH Catenacci, (8) (Schaller, McCabe), 17:29

3. RCH Dalpe, (13) (Leduc, Ruhwedel), 6:07 (PP)

3. RCH Schaller, (15) (Irwin, Larsson), 16:29 (PP)

Boxscore          Rochester Americans Highlights 2.13.2015 - Rochester Americans TV [YouTube]

The Flames in a game with more goals than the 10 scored against the Syracuse Crunch.

Unfortunately the opponent scored most of them in a 51 shot barrage against Joni Ortio.

A bright spot was Turner Elson scoring 2 more to bring his total to 5 in his last 3 games.

As seems to regularly be the case against the Amerks, the game was penalty-filled (56 mins).

No action for an entire week until the Flames visit the Oklahoma City Barons next Friday & Saturday.

FLAMES TOPPLED AGAIN AT BLUE CROSS ARENA - adirondackflames.com
DALPE, SCHALLER LEAD AMERKS TO 7-4 WIN OVER FLAMES - amerks.com

AHL Divison Standings   AHL Conference Standings   Adirondack Skater Stats   Adirondack Goaltender Stats14966

I really do feel bad for the fans that went out and bought merchandise for the Addy Flames.  I know business is business, but ultimately it's the fans that are footing the bill, keeping the ice frozen and the lights on.

This had better be a 5 year plan or longer, for the sake of pro hockey in Glenns Falls.

If this team misses the play-offs, it's 100% because we continued to use call-ups when it wasnt necessary then sat them on the bench.

If you're going to call-up a prospect play them, if not, send them back so they can get play time.

I don't know if that is the entire reason.  But it is going to be a legitimate criticism.  If all they wanted was a warm body for the road trip they didn't need to remove the stars in the middle of a playoff race.  In fact, why is Wolf still up and sitting the bench?  Doesn't make any sense.   

That is 100% not an accurate statement. It may have a small part to do with it. I would say the major reason Adirondack might miss the playoffs is because they have one of the, if not the youngest and least experienced teams in the AHL. Injuries to top players like Bill Arnold and Ryan Culkin will play bigger factors than Baertschi, Wolf and Wotherspoon being called up for a few games.

If this team misses the play-offs, it's 100% because we continued to use call-ups when it wasnt necessary then sat them on the bench.

If you're going to call-up a prospect play them, if not, send them back so they can get play time.

Just to follow up, Baertschi and Wotherspoon only missde 2 Adirondack games when they were called up after the All-Star break, the team went 1-1 without them. Wolf has missed 6 games 3 of those to injury in the other 3 Adirondack went 2-1.  Basically Adirondack lost 1 game with Baertschi, Wotherspoon and Wolf out of the lineup, so I guess if Adirondack misses the playoffs by 1 game you might have a gripe, but other wise it had little effect on their playoff chances.

I am going to the baby Flames vs Barons game on Saturday. I’ll try to keep a lookout for prospects and give a report of what I see. Keep in mind that I’ve only played street hockey so I may not have all the technical knowledge that others might. It will be fun all the same.

Adirondack Flames (25-20-3-1) @ Oklahoma City Barons (31-13-3-3) @ 05:00 PM MST [Fri, Feb 20, 2015]

A 2 game visit with the Oklahoma City Barons, the current Western Conference leader & Edmonton Oilers AHL affiliate.

Hopefully we can recapture the result we had when we trounced the Eastern Conference leader at the time, the Syracuse Crunch 10-0. We cannot let our chance to make the playoffs slip away.

I'll have a double victory baby BoA please.

PREVIEW: FLAMES @ BARONS - adirondackflames.com
BARONS GAME NOTES: FEBRUARY 21 20 - okcbarons.com

Bill Arnold, Devin Setoguchi working their way back - poststar.com
Flames notes: 'Underrated' shutdown man Granlund called up - calgaryherald.com

The Chronicle's Adirondack Flames Player of the Week - Max Reinhart - pbs.twimg.com

AHL Divison Standings   AHL Conference Standings   Adirondack Skater Stats   Adirondack Goaltender Stats15595

Adirondack Flames 3 (25-20-4-1) @ Oklahoma City Barons 4 (32-13-3-3) [OT]

1. OKC Miller, (19) (Hunt, Williams), 4:46 (PP)

1. ADK Acolatse, (4) (Wolf, Cundari), 8:43 (PP)

1. ADK Ferland, (6) (Shore, Wotherspoon), 17:38

2. OKC Moroz, (2) (Simpson, Khaira), 15:00

3. ADK Wolf, (13) (Agostino, Wotherspoon), 8:43

3. OKC Ford, (14) (Miller, Hunt), 19:11

OT. OKC Yakimov, (7) (Miller), 1:17

Boxscore          Barons Beat: Barons Top Flames in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons TV [YouTube]

Recap video Flameless. How Oilerish of you! :rolleyes:    Piecemeal video highlights here

Flames fail to hold lead twice & fall to Barons in OT. Ortio left game with apparent injury @ 07:16 of 1st period.

Lone bright spots Wolf with a goal & an assist upon his return from Calgary and Wotherspoon with 2 helpers.

Rematch tomorrow night. Can we start saying must win! Get it done fellas!

FLAMES FALL 4-3 TO WESTERN CONFERENCE LEADING BARONS - adirondackflames.com

Oklahoma City Barons: Bogdan Yakimov scores in OT, gives Barons win No. 32 - newsok.com

Joni Ortio hurt in Flames' overtime loss - poststar.com

02/20/2015 Doug Carr (G) Adirondack ADD Recalled from loan to Colorado (ECHL)

Ortio out of commission? Hopefully it is a precautionary call-up. Otherwise....

AHL Divison Standings   AHL Conference Standings   Adirondack Skater Stats   Adirondack Goaltender Stats15687

Adirondack Flames (25-20-4-1) @ Oklahoma City Barons (32-13-3-3) @ 06:00 PM MST [sat, Feb 21, 2015]

Part II of the Baby BoA.

No Sam Bennett for Adirondack as he has been sent back to the OHL Kingston Frontenacs.

It also looks like the Flames may have to ride Thiessen & Carr for the majority of the regular season that remains.

Looking forward to a win tonight. :)

PREVIEW: FLAMES @ BARONS - adirondackflames.com
BARONS GAME NOTES: FEBRUARY 21 - okcbarons.com

Doug Carr recalled by AHL’s Adirondack Flames - millcitysports.com

Joni Ortio out 6-8 weeks with a lower body (high ankle sprain) injury, according to Brad Treliving. #Flames

AHL Divison Standings   AHL Conference Standings   Adirondack Skater Stats   Adirondack Goaltender Stats15687

Flames win 3-1 Saturday against OKC. Ferland had the first goal on a PP. Set himself in the lower part of the left circled and fired it home. Barons got a 5-on-3 and while the flames killed off the first penalty, they couldn't hold on. Barons with a PP goal. Reinhardt had the second on a breakaway which he fired between the pads of Broissoit. 2-1 after 2, stayed that way until an EN in the final 30 sec. 3rd period probably had the best chances for both teams, end to end action.

Player Notes:

Porrier - didn't have any breakaways from speed, but made some good plays generated from being quick. Had a few good opportunities.

Shore - looked good. Had some chances.

Baertschi - ok. Made some good cut backs and passes, but wasn't super dangerous.

Ferland - Looked good.

T-spoon - looked pretty good, pinched once to behind the net.

Wolf - hit and was dangerous. Strong on the puck and asserted himself physically.

McGratten - Hovered between the Flames blueline and center a couple of times, looking to get a 1-on-1 or a breakaway. He almost did on a high flip in, but stepped in too soon.

Thiessen - Played very well. Made a couple of big saves and only gave up one PPG (though a shot block by a D-man playing at GK save a wide-open side of the net once).

Ortio - Sat outside the glass. Could see him clearly from where I sat. (Should've gone over and try to talk to him. Oh well.) He didn't look bad, meaning I didn't see anything that displayed an injury, but that doesn't say a lot.

Don't have extensive notes and I'll have to stop there.

Flames took a lot of penalties. 7+.Killed off all the PKs though except for the one just off the 5-v-3. Need more discipline, but good PKing.

Wore my Flames jersey. Saw 3 other Flames fans and one Flames jersey. Got on the jumbo-tron. Went up to the glass post game and waved at the players. 2 saw me and waved back.

Went to a post game autograph session. I felt a bit like a traitor for getting Baron autographs. 2 of the players joked that they didn't want to sign my ticket after they saw my jersey. I joked with one saying that maybe he'd be traded to the good side but he said he was from Edmonton. I told him I was sorry about that (jokingly). So I ribbed a few players and fans as one of the few fans of the away team, I'd say I performed my duty well.

Just to follow up, Baertschi and Wotherspoon only missde 2 Adirondack games when they were called up after the All-Star break, the team went 1-1 without them. Wolf has missed 6 games 3 of those to injury in the other 3 Adirondack went 2-1.  Basically Adirondack lost 1 game with Baertschi, Wotherspoon and Wolf out of the lineup, so I guess if Adirondack misses the playoffs by 1 game you might have a gripe, but other wise it had little effect on their playoff chances.

So... You're not going to count the games where the #1 goalie was gone (Ortio) or Granlund for that matter.

If you're going to remove 3-5 of the BEST players on the team, the team is going to suffer.

Archived