The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

With the new coming along, the original is about to leave forever.

I never saw the Flames play there, I was only 2 when the Dome opened, but still a part of the teams history and the cities.  It will definitely be different not seeing it anymore.

Sure have some good memories from the Corral...   As well as going to hockey games, I also went a lot of great concerts there,,,  The ones I can remember at the moment...

Cheap Trick opened for Kiss on July 31'st, 1977...   

Rush & Max Webster on Sept.11th, 1977 and Oct. 28th, 1978...   

Jethro Tull on Apr, 15th, 1979

Yes on May 3rd, 1979...   

Triumph on May 11th, 1979...

Heart on Aug, 22nd 1979...

Van Halen on Sept. 19th,1979 and April 7th, 1980... 

Molly Hatchet on Feb. 5th, 1982...

ZZ Top & 38 Special on Sept. 20th, 1982...   

Aerosmith & Ronnie James Dio on Aug. 11th 1983...

It'll be a bit sad to see the ol' Corall get torn down...   

3 hours ago, Carty said:

Sure have some good memories from the Corral...   As well as going to hockey games, I also went a lot of great concerts there,,,  The ones I can remember at the moment...

Cheap Trick opened for Kiss on July 31'st, 1977...   

Rush & Max Webster on Sept.11th, 1977 and Oct. 28th, 1978...   

Jethro Tull on Apr, 15th, 1979

Yes on May 3rd, 1979...   

Triumph on May 11th, 1979...

Heart on Aug, 22nd 1979...

Van Halen on Sept. 19th,1979 and April 7th, 1980... 

Molly Hatchet on Feb. 5th, 1982...

ZZ Top & 38 Special on Sept. 20th, 1982...   

Aerosmith & Ronnie James Dio on Aug. 11th 1983...

It'll be a bit sad to see the ol' Corall get torn down...   

Jethro Tull.. best concert by a band I never knew much about.. Yes.. Fell asleep.. might have been the Purple micro-dot.. I has season tickets to Season one at the CorraL BUT COULDN'T AFFORD THEM ONCE THE PENGROETH SADDLESOME OPENED// ERIC vAIL / kENNY hOUSTON.. MAGIC MAN kENT nNLLSON.. PEKKS RATAK

EELLIO.. OH THOSE WERE THE DAYS

On 7/18/2020 at 7:57 PM, Horsman1 said:

Jethro Tull.. best concert by a band I never knew much about.. Yes.. Fell asleep.. might have been the Purple micro-dot.. I has season tickets to Season one at the CorraL BUT COULDN'T AFFORD THEM ONCE THE PENGROETH SADDLESOME OPENED// ERIC vAIL / kENNY hOUSTON.. MAGIC MAN kENT nNLLSON.. PEKKS RATAK

EELLIO.. OH THOSE WERE THE DAYS

There were a lot of great nights at the Corral... 

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I played a couple NCHL beer league games at the corral.  I'm going to miss all my fans.

I played a few beer league games at the Corral as well      I miss the free beer...

• 8 months later...
22 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Here We Go Again GIF by memecandy

So typical in municipal politics.  We agree to something.  Wait a minute, we shouldn't have agreed.  We need to look at the estimates again, because we really didn't want to say yes before.  

I suspect this is more to do with COVID reducing the expected tax revenues the city thought it had.  

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So typical in municipal politics.  We agree to something.  Wait a minute, we shouldn't have agreed.  We need to look at the estimates again, because we really didn't want to say yes before.  

I suspect this is more to do with COVID reducing the expected tax revenues the city thought it had.  

From what I've heard reading around is it is more cost of materials like steel that have gone up drastically.

54 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I guess I should research a bit more.  The construction costs would increase due to escalating costs (thanks COVID).  You would think there was some consideration in the agreement to deal with costs overruns (I thought there was).

If industrial/commercial material costs have risen as much as regular contractor/homeowner grade lumber then I dont think any provision would have guessed as much of an increase as is happening.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

From what I've heard reading around is it is more cost of materials like steel that have gone up drastically.

25 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

If industrial/commercial material costs have risen as much as regular contractor/homeowner grade lumber then I dont think any provision would have guessed as much of an increase as is happening.

Lumber is up 250%, steel maybe the same. Tack that onto a billion dollar project and..................well lets pause a minute, or maybe forever.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

34 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Lumber is up 250%, steel maybe the same. Tack that onto a billion dollar project and..................well lets pause a minute, or maybe forever.

Let's hope we aren't thinking of building it out of wood.

Steel tarriffs are up on exported CDN steel.

Sure, we can pause it again for another couple of years.  Should only cost about $1B to renovate and upgrade the Dome by then.

And we can play in EDM during that time of renovation.

Honestly this is a good idea IMO. I don't think either side is in a position to just throw more money and I think it's likely the rise in many of the costs is temporary in nature. No sense turning this into a Montreal Olympic stadium fiasco. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Honestly this is a good idea IMO. I don't think either side is in a position to just throw more money and I think it's likely the rise in many of the costs is temporary in nature. No sense turning this into a Montreal Olympic stadium fiasco. 

Temporary?  Lol more like permanent inflation.  They tell us inflation is 4% for this year but it's really 20% or more.  

I have with good authority to weigh in on this, and can confirm that the average cost of building materials (not labour) in Canada has increased over the past 12 months 56%.
So yeah a $1B price tag previously is now $1.56B off of pure cost increases, and because of shortage of materials it has caused labour to slowly increase, as the jobs that can prioritize material are also paying a premium in labour to have the work completed.
Currently we are looking at 75% average increases where Companies feel comfortable proceeding with previous quoted jobs. This is not a standard cost overruns type of event, this is a bankrupting municipalities and corporations for not doing their due diligence events. This is a merited revisit of information.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pikey7883 said:

I have with good authority to weigh in on this, and can confirm that the average cost of building materials (not labour) in Canada has increased over the past 12 months 56%.
So yeah a $1B price tag previously is now $1.56B off of pure cost increases, and because of shortage of materials it has caused labour to slowly increase, as the jobs that can prioritize material are also paying a premium in labour to have the work completed.
Currently we are looking at 75% average increases where Companies feel comfortable proceeding with previous quoted jobs. This is not a standard cost overruns type of event, this is a bankrupting municipalities and corporations for not doing their due diligence events. This is a merited revisit of information.  

2x4 cedar lumber at Home Depot has almost tripled in price since last summer.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

2x4 cedar lumber at Home Depot has almost tripled in price since last summer.

I paid just over $99 on 3 2x6x16 treated from HD last weekend.  That was a necessity, all my place at the lake projects are on indefinite hold now.  Even the price for stuff like firewood or landscaping materials are going to seriously cut into my beer and Jamison budget.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Perhaps this is the right decision, but I wouldn't compare it to a corrupt, mafia controlled construction project.

• 3 months later...

There was a conception drawing of the new arena on twitter recently, I cant say I was overly smitten by the design but that may have been a crummy drawing also.  But esthetics should probably be lower down the list than alot of other priorities.

edit: the pic was on the CBC website if you havent seen it.

7 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

There was a conception drawing of the new arena on twitter recently, I cant say I was overly smitten by the design but that may have been a crummy drawing also.  But esthetics should probably be lower down the list than alot of other priorities.

edit: the pic was on the CBC website if you havent seen it.

I'll reserve judgement until I see all angles.  I don't love this or hate it from this angle, the main thing with the external look for me is that it fits in with other developments in the area.  I care more about what's inside