The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

13 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Bigger picture is an investment in economic activity for Calgary over the next 7 years leading up to the event. We could use this with the way our Oil industry is being treated.

People saying we don't have the money are simply copping out and don't understand the economics.

(this means all negative people not you The_People) LOL

Nobody understands the economics because nobody has access to all the numbers.  The City of Calgary is fighting against transparity, the federal government has not committed to a dollar figure, and the provincial/federal governments have said they will not pay for the inevitible cost over runs.  

So...that leaves the people of Calgary wondering how much the games will actually cost Calgarians.  Until there is clarity on the costs it is irresposible to proceed with a bid.  

On 10/13/2018 at 11:10 PM, TheFan99 said:

What is baffling to me is Winnipeg's arena (MTS Centre) sits something like 15400 or so? It's a small market in a poor city and no crying about a new arena. Still, able to keep their core together and turning a profit. Go, figure.

Not too sure why you think it's a poor city. Lots of money floating around, it's just spread out over many different industries as opposed to being focused on one. Yes it's a smaller population but theres no competing market nearby. Theres no crying for a new one because the current building is only 14 years old. Profits were achieved early because of the "honeymoon phase" gave them a bit of leeway and the core of players were easy to keep because of the faith the players had in the ownership and management. Go figure

10 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Not too sure why you think it's a poor city. Lots of money floating around, it's just spread out over many different industries as opposed to being focused on one. Yes it's a smaller population but theres no competing market nearby. Theres no crying for a new one because the current building is only 14 years old. Profits were achieved early because of the "honeymoon phase" gave them a bit of leeway and the core of players were easy to keep because of the faith the players had in the ownership and management. Go figure

Has it been 14 years???  Man.  Felt like yesterday...

11 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

Nobody understands the economics because nobody has access to all the numbers.  The City of Calgary is fighting against transparity, the federal government has not committed to a dollar figure, and the provincial/federal governments have said they will not pay for the inevitible cost over runs.  

So...that leaves the people of Calgary wondering how much the games will actually cost Calgarians.  Until there is clarity on the costs it is irresposible to proceed with a bid.  

I agree with the clarity part however in regards to the economics I was saying Calgary over the next 7 years could use this construction activity and the continuing benefits from new assets.

Pretty indisputable that Calgary could sure use the money and the economic boost, but at the cost of billions of dollars? That be a very poor ROI. Just spend a fraction of that and you'd probably see the results you want. 

The economics of spending billions of dollars to create a 7 year job markets, what isn't poor to being with, are not very sound. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Pretty indisputable that Calgary could sure use the money and the economic boost, but at the cost of billions of dollars? That be a very poor ROI. Just spend a fraction of that and you'd probably see the results you want. 

The economics of spending billions of dollars to create a 7 year job markets, what isn't poor to being with, are not very sound. 

Well I'm not sure what field of work you are in but Calgary and Alberta are not doing very well at all and this isn't going away anytime soon. Our province has provided billions in transfer payments for the other Provinces for years and during a time of need here some can make its way back IMO. Neither is your argument very sound.

On October 18, 2018 at 2:02 PM, MAC331 said:

Pessimistic isn't the word I would use. Three levels of Government, Corporations and ourselves investing in this economic activity could end up a very much need boost during this period of time. Out the other end a bunch of new or upgrading facilities for continued use keeping Calgary modern. I say YES

New arena and field house would employ 2000 construction people and add a huge trickle down effect on the economic activity in Calgary. Something, we need desperately right now. I've, said this before but, the MTS Center in Winnipeg holds 15400 people. Bettman didn't want Winninpeg but he let it slide. 14 year old arena and only 15400 people. No, crying from the jets owners. Murray Edwards who is a good dude made a lot of money off of Iggy. He's given more money away then anyone in Calgary.

5 hours ago, TheFan99 said:

New arena and field house would employ 2000 construction people and add a huge trickle down effect on the economic activity in Calgary. Something, we need desperately right now. I've, said this before but, the MTS Center in Winnipeg holds 15400 people. Bettman didn't want Winninpeg but he let it slide. 14 year old arena and only 15400 people. No, crying from the jets owners. Murray Edwards who is a good dude made a lot of money off of Iggy. He's given more money away then anyone in Calgary.

Keep in mind the Jets owners also own and operate the building they decided the building could handle the NHL.  They know they have absolutely no bargaining power with the city of Winnipeg if they said 8 years in that they made a mistake on the building.

20 hours ago, cross16 said:

I completely agree with the first paragraph but the second paragraph doesn't jibe with the facts.  

Calgary has the second highest rate of unemployment amongst Canadian cities (St. John's is the only city that is worse) at 8.2% as of August.  That is a terrible number, especially when compared to where it was 5 years ago.  

On 10/20/2018 at 7:12 AM, stubblejumper1 said:

I completely agree with the first paragraph but the second paragraph doesn't jibe with the facts.  

Calgary has the second highest rate of unemployment amongst Canadian cities (St. John's is the only city that is worse) at 8.2% as of August.  That is a terrible number, especially when compared to where it was 5 years ago.  

Depends on your benchmark I guess. IMO, it's bad but terrible is a bit of a stretch. i certainly don't want to make it sound like I think things are good in Calgary, they are not, but bad enough to justify 3 billion? I don't think so. Especially when the likelihood that it will make a long term change to unemployment is probably small. 

Think we all understand why that unemployment number is where it is and i'm just not sure it's enough to justify the cost of the olympics. 

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Depends on your benchmark I guess. IMO, it's bad but terrible is a bit of a stretch. i certainly don't want to make it sound like I think things are good in Calgary, they are not, but bad enough to justify 3 billion? I don't think so. Especially when the likelihood that it will make a long term change to unemployment is probably small. 

Think we all understand why that unemployment number is where it is and i'm just not sure it's enough to justify the cost of the olympics. 

3 billion spread out over the number of years while our economy recovers would not be a bad thing given everyone else's contributions.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

3 billion spread out over the number of years while our economy recovers would not be a bad thing given everyone else's contributions.

8,5 as a bottom line for this Olympics versus 800 million last Olympics which included building all the facilities is so far out of reality  it just doesn't make economic sense regardless of the economic impact.. I had such a blast inn 88 and was very enthutiastic about hosting this new one until I saw the dollars.. This dreamm of our Mayor Nemshi.. to turn Calgary into Little Dubai is a fantasy.

25 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

8,5 as a bottom line for this Olympics versus 800 million last Olympics which included building all the facilities is so far out of reality  it just doesn't make economic sense regardless of the economic impact.. I had such a blast inn 88 and was very enthutiastic about hosting this new one until I saw the dollars.. This dreamm of our Mayor Nemshi.. to turn Calgary into Little Dubai is a fantasy.

This isn't all Nenshi at all and he will be gone by then.

19 hours ago, cross16 said:

Changing the adjective doesn't change the numbers.  

I agree that building an arena for the Flames owners with taxpayer money will not help improve the economy.  

8 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

Changing the adjective doesn't change the numbers.  

I agree that building an arena for the Flames owners with taxpayer money will not help improve the economy.  

Nor am I disputing the numbers. I'm disputing the fact that it's sound economic policy to spend 3 billion on the Olympic and justify it with unemployment. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-olympic-bid-city-council-vote-1.4885670

I don't know who they are trying to fool here.  Cutting down the estimates of security for the Games supposedly brought the overall costs down $125-million... ?  What was the original estimate?  Vancouver spent nearly $1-billion on security but I think we've estimated $150-million or something?

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-olympic-bid-city-council-vote-1.4885670

I don't know who they are trying to fool here.  Cutting down the estimates of security for the Games supposedly brought the overall costs down $125-million... ?  What was the original estimate?  Vancouver spent nearly $1-billion on security but I think we've estimated $150-million or something?

We have more hunters here in Alberta with guns that will volunteer.

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's quite a sad state. I love the olympics and I honestly think they can be a good idea but it's just clear that at all levels this Bid has the wrong people involved. Politicians, leaders etc.

It's sad. 

No kidding. There have already been concerns about not including all expenses for a bid in which the numbers have not been released right before the plebiscite. If we cannot even get the bid done properly, how can we be confident that we will be good hosts? When state officials work late into the night, they call it "hard work". When other people do it, it is called poor time management. It is not only sad, it is shameful. 

18 hours ago, cross16 said:

It's quite a sad state. I love the olympics and I honestly think they can be a good idea but it's just clear that at all levels this Bid has the wrong people involved. Politicians, leaders etc.

It's sad. 

Many if not all of these politicians/leaders will not likely even be in office at the Opening of these Olympics. If people are against this because they don't want any lingering debt I can understand that but for anyone to say this wouldn't be good for Calgary overall is incorrect IMO.