The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

On 9/18/2018 at 7:44 PM, Cowtownguy said:

Too bad the federal government didn't follow the FCM's suggestion to give municipalities revenue from a 2% fuel tax years ago. That way, they wouldn't have to scrounge up money by hosting the Olympics or expanding new communities. I believe we are the only OECD nation that doesn't have a mechanism to fund cities. 80% of Canadians live in cities and they are the front line for most of society's problems. 

You and your Lefty taxes... 

...but seriously, why no airport tax or Flames ticket surcharge tax for a new arena started 10 years ago?  Surely we could all see this day coming?  

39 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You and your Lefty taxes... 

...but seriously, why no airport tax or Flames ticket surcharge tax for a new arena started 10 years ago?  Surely we could all see this day coming?  

I am totally down with an airport tax. We could start now for the next arena which will cost $5 billion. I would like to see a fed tax for municipalities and cap municipalities' taxation abilities thereby breaking even. Right now, cities want the taxes from new communities, but not to supply services. So transit blows and they are always behind on roads. 

17 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I am totally down with an airport tax. We could start now for the next arena which will cost $5 billion. I would like to see a fed tax for municipalities and cap municipalities' taxation abilities thereby breaking even. Right now, cities want the taxes from new communities, but not to supply services. So transit blows and they are always behind on roads. 

$5-billion is probably on the low end in 20 years.  But we need to start saving now.

I can't stress enough that the new arena needs to be powered by some kind of renewable energy.  Maybe the roof is a solar panel.  And if so, excess electricity generated can be sold back to the grid for money which in turn pays for the building itself.  Since the building generates electricity maybe it can be an electronic car charging port.  Maybe all city buses convert to electric and charges at the new arena as a base.

Being energy self sufficient, monthly bills can be kept to a minimum.  

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

$5-billion is probably on the low end in 20 years.  But we need to start saving now.

I can't stress enough that the new arena needs to be powered by some kind of renewable energy.  Maybe the roof is a solar panel.  And if so, excess electricity generated can be sold back to the grid for money which in turn pays for the building itself.  Since the building generates electricity maybe it can be an electronic car charging port.  Maybe all city buses convert to electric and charges at the new arena as a base.

I think that it would be impressive if they spent good money that way. Use thermal and solar to power the building and be a symbol for the new West. We are still energy producers, but we have used oil royalties to innovate and diversify energy production. 

5 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I think that it would be impressive if they spent good money that way. Use thermal and solar to power the building and be a symbol for the new West. We are still energy producers, but we have used oil royalties to innovate and diversify energy production. 

Or if we build CalgaryNext, the field house part should be a giant canibus grow-op.  We harvest twice a year during the Stampeders off-season and that helps pay for the building.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Now that's progressive thinking, which should be looked at.  Many months back I had also thought a total redesign ie interactive electronic seating and more space might also be interesting, which could open up whole new avenues of entertainment and potential revenue streams....  Let's enter the 21st Century.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Or if we build CalgaryNext, the field house part should be a giant canibus grow-op.  We harvest twice a year during the Stampeders off-season and that helps pay for the building.

Not sure about pot, but hanging hydroponics gardens certainly are feasible.....

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Peeps, fake news.

He didn't actually inhale. He puffs and blows it out immediately.

Makes him cool with the kids though, cutting move on his part.

Forefinger to the established, good on him.

I'd call it an eventual victory.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Peeps, fake news.

He didn't actually inhale. He puffs and blows it out immediately.

Makes him cool with the kids though, cutting move on his part.

Forefinger to the established, good on him.

I'd call it an eventual victory.

Drugs might explain some of Elon's unusual behaviour lately (i.e. the paedophile remark and going private without securing the financing).

Just now, Cowtownguy said:

Drugs might explain some of Elon's unusual behaviour lately (i.e. the paedophile remark and going private without securing the financing).

I'd say it's more that his mind never stops racing. If he doesn't have a shrink, he needs one.

Great mind, but he has to come down a ways before he explodes.

46 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd say it's more that his mind never stops racing. If he doesn't have a shrink, he needs one.

Great mind, but he has to come down a ways before he explodes.

Scuba dude is suing Musk for the paedo remark. I don't blame him. Puts his life on the line to save kids while Musk suggests a submarine, and he gets called a child molester. Thanks a lot.

14 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Scuba dude is suing Musk for the paedo remark. I don't blame him. Puts his life on the line to save kids while Musk suggests a submarine, and he gets called a child molester. Thanks a lot.

So now you know why we love Trump.  Put his life on the line to fight the establishment.  We can forgive the molesting stuff... Because it never happened.

But I digress.  Will save it for Off Topic.

Elon Musk please work a deal with Calgary Flames and sell them solar panel roofs and siding for their new arena.  Just think if it works, how many more customers he will get.  Probably every arena, stadium, etc will refurbish with Tesla exterior products.

Using Rogers Place up in Edmonton as an example you can see many engineering firms were consulted. I would assume because of their specialization.

49695822d17c17aba5a13b66d30983ec.png

Personally I would prefer using only the best and I would not care too much where their headquarters were. Forcing to use Calgary based companies would dimish somewhat the final quality of the building and increase to overall costs. This would make it very uneconomical to go this route.

You are better off getting the best firms, and using local products when you can. This would spur the local economy and get a high quality finished building.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 0:56 PM, The_People1 said:

That idea sounds great. The only thing I wondered is why wouldn't any recent project (Vegas, Edmonton) not have included it? I know nothing about solar energy but I'm guessing the look and structure of the panels limits an arenas design, structure and overall esthetics. I personally wouldn't care about the looks if it's more or less self suffecient but there will be some who want beauty over substance.

On 9/22/2018 at 3:40 PM, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

That idea sounds great. The only thing I wondered is why wouldn't any recent project (Vegas, Edmonton) not have included it? I know nothing about solar energy but I'm guessing the look and structure of the panels limits an arenas design, structure and overall esthetics. I personally wouldn't care about the looks if it's more or less self suffecient but there will be some who want beauty over substance.

Probably all of the above.  Design limitations.  Esthetics.  Added costs up front.  May not be able to source enough materials for construction.  Lack of engineering/construction expertise. 

But there has to be a first for everything.

I am not quite understanding the recent issue in the Olympic bid. Apparently, council had an in camera meeting where they discussed extra costs of hosting the Olympic Games. Specifically, a new bus barn and associated environmental costs would need to be added to the $5.2 billion bid. Those costs are significant at $174 million (projected). This information was leaked to CBC. Nenshi sounds like he is losing his mind requesting that the Integrity Commissioner audit all councillors and examine their phone history (City of Calgary phones and personal phones). I don't even think that Trump has demanded that yet. Nenshi looks really bad.

I appreciate the need for in camera meetings at times. For example, maybe mental health issues are paramount in an issue, and a councillor wants to delay a vote until further information is obtained about a case. They want to protect a person's privacy, so they have an in camera meeting. I don't see why they need to meet behind closed doors to discuss what appears to be an expected cost of hosting the Olympics not included in the original bid. The media is not helping me answer this question, so I am left to think council is just being secretive because someone erred. Or, this is just fake news. If it is the latter, great job CBC. You are almost CNN.

Secondly, I can understand why it is paramount to have trust during in camera meetings. Leaks create a very unhealthy work atmosphere with an aura of suspicion. But, it seems a little paranoid to demand that a councillor's personal phone be handed over and reviewed by the Integrity Commissioner. Besides, would it not be easy to clean the phone or tablet now that Nenshi has raised this with the mainstream media? 

The city has screwed up this bid. Finished.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Probably all of the above.  Design limitations.  Esthetics.  Added costs up front.  May not be able to source enough materials for construction.  Lack of engineering/construction expertise. 

But there has to be a first for everything.

The design of the Saddledome is what got us into this mess in the first place... We are Calgary.. Not Dubai.. build for practicality for what it will be used for for the long term.. The Coral is slated to be torn down prior to the next stampede so there is a practicality in keeping the Dome for certain events for the forseeable future.. Please.. Stop with the Artsy fartsy Satoshi Nakamoto!! No more blue hoolahoops and stop wasting billions on condo's on the bow.

51 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

The design of the Saddledome is what got us into this mess in the first place... We are Calgary.. Not Dubai.. build for practicality for what it will be used for for the long term.. The Coral is slated to be torn down prior to the next stampede so there is a practicality in keeping the Dome for certain events for the forseeable future.. Please.. Stop with the Artsy fartsy Satoshi Nakamoto!! No more blue hoolahoops and stop wasting billions on condo's on the bow.

Green energy is not practical and not for the future?

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Nobody in Government seems to care what things end up costing these days, just build Calgary Next and get on with it. 

Ya that's the government indeed. The right hand doesn't talk to the left hand.  

Putting my tin foil hat on for a second, I feel the government is training us for CalgaryNext by hitting us hardcore with the $5.3-billion Olympic bid.  After another 3 months, CalgaryNext will feel so cheap and way more useful.  We will beg for it as a city.

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya that's the government indeed. The right hand doesn't talk to the left hand.  

Putting my tin foil hat on for a second, I feel the government is training us for CalgaryNext by hitting us hardcore with the $5.3-billion Olympic bid.  After another 3 months, CalgaryNext will feel so cheap and way more useful.  We will beg for it as a city.

Sounds like a good strategy.

On 9/21/2018 at 11:56 AM, The_People1 said:

Selling electricity back to the grid does NOT generate excess income. Take a look at your energy bill and you will see 15-30% is actual electricity expenditure. Now double those (Taxes, Transmission Fees, Administration Fees, General Stick it up your azz fees) and you end up with a roof 10x the cost that will actually cost you more to use than using a conventional roof and electrical system. Now if this stadium was completely OFF THE GRID then you could talk some major savings. But do you think the Govt, and big energy players are going to allow this income source to get away from them.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 0:03 PM, redfire11 said:

Selling electricity back to the grid does NOT generate excess income. Take a look at your energy bill and you will see 15-30% is actual electricity expenditure. Now double those (Taxes, Transmission Fees, Administration Fees, General Stick it up your azz fees) and you end up with a roof 10x the cost that will actually cost you more to use than using a conventional roof and electrical system. Now if this stadium was completely OFF THE GRID then you could talk some major savings. But do you think the Govt, and big energy players are going to allow this income source to get away from them.